Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Anyone tried three fools coffee? Their sub at 1kgfor 32 euro looks good but never tried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Enjoying the Grumpy Mule espresso beans. Just solid strong full bodied stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

anyone got a good source for green beans?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Depends on what you want. Are you looking for value or quality?

Quality: If you're looking for quality, then I'd buy from RoastRebels, but you're going to be looking at €11/kg for their cheaper coffees, up to €25/kg for the kind of coffee I'd like to be roasting (natural Yirgacheffe), plus expensive delivery (free for orders over €120). Mostly organic beans. Good supplier for coffee roasting equipment too (which can help with the minimum delivery spend). Only place I'd go to get good natural-processed coffees.

Cheap: For cheap (and local) it's hard to look past DiscountCoffee, where you'll pay €10/€11/kg. It's grand. Check for debris/pebbles! I haven't found any, but....It's mentioned on their website. Fast delivery (like I said, they're local). Good if you're still experimenting with roasting, and may write off a few roasts.

Balance quality/value:

Mondodelcafe:€12-€16/kg, decent variety, good packaging, expensive shipping (€13-€16), so buy in bulk.

Cafedujour: Nice variety, cheap (€9-€12/kg), low-cost delivery (€6.95), and pretty fast. No real indication of processing method. Like Mondodelcafe, they don't seem to sell upper-end coffees as green beans.

A couple of points of note:

Coffee beans (as a raw material) are exempt from vat. Most UK roasters/green bean sellers no longer ship to Ireland since Brexit. You might find some who do, but I gave up looking. Some Irish coffee roaster (like Badger & Dodo) sell green beans, but not at a price point where I'd consider them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you ever wondered what the Irish roasters markup is on roasting green beans is, it's about 470%, at least for one coffee i looked at, anyway.

@Krusty_Clown : I gather you are using a dedicated roaster, I'm using an oven with beans from mondodelcaffee. Do the beans expand much in volume when roasted in your machine? I find the beans from Mondo start out much smaller than their roasted beans and end up about the same size they started at when roasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi cnocbui, I'm using a behmor 1600 roaster, which is a dedicated roaster (electric drum style). About the size/shape of a typical microwave. I will typically roast around 400g at a time, and when roasted, the volume goes up by about 30%, while the weight goes down by about 15% (will end up with around 360g-375g). The weight loss is a combination of the chaffe (silverskin) and the moisture loss during roasting, as well as some small beans/debris that falls out of the drum during the roast.

I'm roasting in an Airfryer, so experimenting at the moment.

I'll stick to the discountcoffee stuff for now, thanks for the input

Do Velo roast all of their coffees dark?

Just picked up the Ethiopian in Tesco, it's a Yirgacheffe, but they've for some reason roasted all the character and flavour out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Not worth it's own thread as it's probably a straight forward answer I'd imagine - had a bag of freshly roasted beans recently from a roaster close to here that would be known for high quality, and just couldn't get it dialled in. No matter what adjustments I was making, I just couldn't get it to a point where the throughput wasn't rushing through the puck. Through the whole bag, I was trying to get it down to about 18g in/36g out in 25-30 seconds and the closest I could get at the finest grind settings (Sage Grinder Pro) was 16 seconds, even with 20g of the grounds.

I thought it might be something up with the machine likes seals or something, but I'm back to Bell Lane beans this morning and all back to normal.

My assumption is one of the following or a combination of them:

1. The beans were a light to medium roast.
    2. My grinder wasn't up to the job.

I won't be losing any sleep over it, but it'd be nice to know :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What kind of grinder do you have? I've had to adjust my Vario on occasions with an Allen key to put the burrs closer together.

Also I think temperature/humidity affects things as well. My grinder settings are a good bit finer the last few weeks that what I would normally have.

If as you say the new beans seems to be grinding ok then nothing to worry about but I also don't understand what would happen in the roast process that would cause that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone use or know of a good place to buy reusable coffee filters? Just looking for a more eco friendly solution for a cheap drip machine at work.

Thanks - it's a Sage Grinder Pro I have, so not high end by any means. That said, I'd usually start off dialing in new beans around setting 8 and espresso grind would usually be between setting 7 and 10 depending on how fresh the beans are. I've gone through 4 or 5 cups on the Bell Lane beans between yesterday and today and it's landed around setting 10 on the grinder.

With the other beans, I was down at settings 2 and it'd sometimes (not often) make a click noise as if the burrs were jamming momentarily so I probably wouldn't be comfortable bringing them any closer. It's obviously not the end of the world in any case, just interested if it's a limitation of my setup or the something with beans themselves possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Bring it as close as it goes, don’t be worry. Make sure you making adjustments while burrs are spinning, not idle . Some of the beans could be tricky.

Having said that , Sage Grinder not a good one: clumpy, noisy,coldnt grind fine,coffee grinds very uneven. As unproud owner of same grinder would strongly suggest to get better one .

back to this, after a few failed Clever Dripper (Hoffman Method 23g/325g medium fine grind) I switched to an Aeropress espresso method (21g/70g very fine grind 50g output, topped up to 170g Americano) and the coffee is much tastier

Same with the Columbian beans from Velo

So it's worth doing a few different methods if certain beans aren't working for your usual method

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Changed the gasket on my Gaggia Classic. I fall in love with the machine again every time I get around to doing this! 😁

It makes such a difference - I changed mine a few months back and the old one was rock solid. My steam wand is a bit leaky at the moment so that's next up.

So easy to get the portafilter in! And no holding onto it while brewing so it doesn't slip 😉

I don't use the steam wand. I suspect my next machine (if the GC ever dies) will probably not have a steam function.

Well, mine going since 2006. Fitted a new boiler in around 2014. Not too bad 😉

I’ve got myself early Christmas present, Profitec PRO 700, what a machine ,such a beauty. I only start using flow control and it is a lot of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Looks like a great machine.

Every time you post you cost me money.

How much bunce we talkin'?

I was dreaming about e61 machine with dual boiler and  flow control  last few years, mostly thinking about  Lelit Bianca  to be honest , which is probably most popular machine  in this price range.    Had a chat with Ciaran from Homecoffeemachines , they  are selling Lelit Bianca , Profitec  Pro 700  and also ECM Synchronika ( Profitec owned by ECM btw)  all three  are e61 , dual boiler, rotary pumps . I went for Profitec 700 at the end, mostly for the build quality.  Probably the most beautiful machine I have ever seen

How much bunce we talkin'?

It wasn’t impulse buy, I think I deserved it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This one looks more premium compared to "budget" Profitec.

I would say it almost identical to ECM Syncronika. Joystick switches for steam and water Vs regular style knobs etc.

You also have to add another €200 for Flow Control option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 emmawalker

It's true, once I could drink any coffee and I didn't care about its quality, now I buy only selected beans or buy it in a coffee shop

My Baratza Encore grinder was acting up, I was getting huge chunks in any grind setting, I tried cleaning it out (which I do regularly, but thought something might be stuck or somehow hampering the burrs) and adjusting the calibration screw (which I'd been meaning to do for ages) but nothing worked.

I had noted a tear in the rubber gasket that sits under the hopper, so I ordered a new one from Cloudpicker, along with some beans - both arrived this morning and I swapped out the gasket - boom, back to full working order.

Anyone got a good milk frother?

I picked up a couple of coffees in the Honest2Goodness Market at the weekend, from a Dutch roaster called Rum Baba. i'm trying to find out a bit more about their process, because it's some of the most inyteresting coffee I've had in a long while

This one, I don't think I've had a thermal fermentation, and the flavours listed are absolutely spot on, it's really lovely and strange.

https://rumbaba.nl/products/costa-rica-fernando-cordero-espresso-coffee

Profile: Chocolate Cherry Liquor Bonbon

Area: San Ramon, Costa Rica

Farm: Cordillera de fuego, Luis Campos

Varietal: Arabica; Catuai

Processing: Thermal Fermentation

I did pick up a second but I can't see it listed - roast dated were mid September so pretty fresh too.

I got upgradeitus!

Have a Gaggia Classic from about 2006. Lately, I've been complaining about the temperature of my coffee and decided I want a machine with a PID but didn't fancy moding the classic.

So, the other day, the Classic stopped working. No water from the group head. I did all the tricks and hacks - right down to dismantling the solenoid. Still no water from group.

So, I decided to get the machine I've had my eye on. We never, ever use the steam wand so the, ECM Puristika seemed like an obvious choice. It's more money than I thought I'd ever spend on a machine but if you want a PID and 58mm portafilter, there aren't so many options. Also, it's a real looker, imo!

So, I'm impatiently waiting for new machine and drinking cowboy coffee 🤠

• Advertisement

Looks fantastic, ECM all about build quality. (I found window spray cleaner is probably the easiest way to keep polished chrome shiny)

I wasn’t aware that you could get single boiler machine with e61 group head. Massive 750 ml brewing boiler too , for the machine this size ( I have same size boiler on my Profitec 700 machine) You won’t regret buying this , that for sure.

Post edited by alec76 on

Advertisement