Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Belt away, I've been in the same boat many times myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

It's unanimous so. A thread about good coffee shops. Is like to a see a criteria though personally.
    No chains particularly.
    And again personally I'd like it to be cafes with baristas that actually know what they're at.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Agree, but sometimes it might be the case of "the best of a bad lot". May not have great Baristas, or really excellent coffee, but still better than other places in the vicinity, if you know what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

adrian522 wrote: »
    Agree, but sometimes it might be the case of "the best of a bad lot". May not have great Baristas, or really excellent coffee, but still better than other places in the vicinity, if you know what I mean?

Fair enough point. But maybe a note to say it's either a great place or the best of a bad bunch just to differentiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

don't know if this is any use.

Enjoy FREE Nespresso Delivery Direct to your Parcel Motel
    http://www.parcelmotel.com/news/item/enjoy-free-nespresso-delivery-direct-to-your-parcel-motel/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Seems to be like an exhibition for specialty coffee rosters etc. The World Barista Championship and Brewers Cup are on there as well I think.

The link is here:

http://www.worldofcoffee-dublin.com/

I think some these parts attended last year.

Tickets here:

https://www.eventhaussecure.com/

Code for free entry...(before May 31st)
    woc16free

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Can anyone recommend shops in Galway for coffee beans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Can anyone recommend shops in Galway for coffee beans?

Badger & Dodo, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Traveled to Kenya for a couple of weeks (where you'd imagine the coffee would be really great, but in fact was truly awful), but was fortunate enough to stop-over for a couple of hours in Istanbul airport, travelling in both directions. Got to enjoy my first ever taste of Turkish coffee and wow, it totally blew me away. Admittedly I went for the 'with sugar' option, so would like to have a pop at making some myself, though I'm not sure my Sage grinder will be up to the job. It does grind fine enough to clog my Gaggia Classic, so certainly worth a pop, given the low outlay for producing this type of coffee (a cizve). Will start looking out for one over the coming weeks (I did notice that Jezek posted an eBay link to some cheap options).

The coffee in the remote part of Kenya we were staying in, was really awful. It was a high altitude region (2,400m so too high to produce/farm coffee beans), but Kenyans don't seem to consume coffee at all, as it is more economical to sell coffee and drink the more cost effective output of the tea plant (in the form of the equally awful Chai tea!). So coffee was typically instant. In the one place we found an espresso machine, they didn't use it very well. An Americano was made with instant, a Latte was served in a pint glass, and an espresso was very watery. The Chai tea was the mainstay, but for the western palate, the milk used is very unappealing (it's boiled and kept heated, typically in a thermos - probably traditionally for hygiene reasons). The same milk is used for making other drinks, albeit without the addition of the tea leaves (tea with a tea bag, and coffee). Just as well I had the Turkish coffee book-ending both ends of the trip!

Traveled to Kenya for a couple of weeks (where you'd imagine the coffee would be really great, but in fact was truly awful), but was fortunate enough to stop-over for a couple of hours in Istanbul airport, travelling in both directions. Got to enjoy my first ever taste of Turkish coffee and wow, it totally blew me away. Admittedly I went for the 'with sugar' option, so would like to have a pop at making some myself, though I'm not sure my Sage grinder will be up to the job. It does grind fine enough to clog my Gaggia Classic, so certainly worth a pop, given the low outlay for producing this type of coffee (a cizve). Will start looking out for one over the coming weeks (I did notice that Jezek posted an eBay link to some cheap options).

The coffee in the remote part of Kenya we were staying in, was really awful. It was a high altitude region (2,400m so too high to produce/farm coffee beans), but Kenyans don't seem to consume coffee at all, as it is more economical to sell coffee and drink the more cost effective output of the tea plant (in the form of the equally awful Chai tea!). So coffee was typically instant. In the one place we found an espresso machine, they didn't use it very well. An Americano was made with instant, a Latte was served in a pint glass, and an espresso was very watery. The Chai tea was the mainstay, but for the western palate, the milk used is very unappealing (it's boiled and kept heated, typically in a thermos - probably traditionally for hygiene reasons). The same milk is used for making other drinks, albeit without the addition of the tea leaves (tea with a tea bag, and coffee). Just as well I had the Turkish coffee book-ending both ends of the trip!

I always find it strange how countries I associate with excellent coffee don't really have great coffee setups locally, especially outside the major cities. Thinking Colombia, Brazil, Cuba etc.

Always pack an Aeropress and a bag of beans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I always find it strange how countries I associate with excellent coffee don't really have great coffee setups locally, especially outside the major cities. Thinking Colombia, Brazil, Cuba etc.

I know, I know... Meant to pack the Aeropress and a bag of pre-ground (better than nothing), but in the end, the extra pair of runners won out the luggage-space battle. Lots of Kenyan coffee for sale in the Nairobi duty-free, but it was all long-life stuff with 12 month old roast dates, at prices similar to home, so didn't make any sense to pick any up. Came across this article, which describes Kenyan coffee culture pretty well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I know, I know... Meant to pack the Aeropress and a bag of pre-ground (better than nothing), but in the end, the extra pair of runners won out the luggage-space battle. Lots of Kenyan coffee for sale in the Nairobi duty-free, but it was all long-life stuff with 12 month old roast dates, at prices similar to home, so didn't make any sense to pick any up. Came across this article, which describes Kenyan coffee culture pretty well.

enjoyed that article, thanks for posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

No aeropress needed for Ethiopia. The coffee ceremony is unbelievable. They roast the coffee beans on pans in front of you, grind it, the whole thing.

http://archive.seattleweekly.com/food/961947-129/the-ethiopian-coffee-ceremonyan-ancient-practice

http://www.epicurean.com/articles/ethiopian-coffee-ceremony.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Merrick Gorgeous Gynecologist

Bought coffee from boabab and was unimpressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Good to know as it is pricey enough - one off the list to try! Thanks :)

Ah no, I'm awaiting a delivery. Will report back...

I've been nothing but impressed by boabab so far. I went for their tasting kit and am delighted with the offerings, I'll post up further details when I get a chance. The roast date was June 3rd which is fine, I think too many roasteries are now obsessed with sending out the beans on the day of roasting or the day after. It's too soon imo, coffee needs to degas for a week or so before brewing, a lot of the flavours aren't developed by the time the bag is empty!

I've been nothing but impressed by boabab so far. I went for their tasting kit and am delighted with the offerings, I'll post up further details when I get a chance. The roast date was June 3rd which is fine, I think too many roasteries are now obsessed with sending out the beans on the day of roasting or the day after. It's too soon imo, coffee needs to degas for a week or so before brewing, a lot of the flavours aren't developed by the time the bag is empty!

Maybe I was spoiled by Pact.;)
    Bought from Ponaire this week and waiting on my delivery.

Maybe I was spoiled by Pact.;)
    Bought from Ponaire this week and waiting on my delivery.
    Weird, I've always received from them the day after. I usually buy on a Thursday morning and get it Friday.

I've been enjoying a Kg of Craic Coffee, a local roaster in Laois. My steam wand has been annoying me recently with a lack of pressure but it's still a great espresso and brew.

Me too - always find ponaire super quick! Maybe drop them an email if you don't get it soon - it may have gone astray.

• Advertisement

Me too - always find ponaire super quick! Maybe drop them an email if you don't get it soon - it may have gone astray.

Ordered Wednesday night!
    Will email them, thx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I'd get in touch with them. I've been given a free coffee once because the owner felt he didn't do a great job on it

Personally speaking I've always got very good coffee from them and it's became my go to place as its around the corner from me. That being said they are on the expensive side and I'm questioning if 16 Euro for a bag of beans is good value

Mmm, nice coffee day today.

w3Sp7S1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

J_E wrote: »
    Mmm, nice coffee day today.

:eek: Every day is a good day for coffee! :D

update.
    I emailed ponaire on sunday evening expecting a reply monday and heard nothing.
    I then called them this morning. It appears it was shipped last thursday without a label and returned to them.
    It was sent out again yesterday and delivered this morning .

Frankly, I'm not too impressed with their level of customer service. Lets hope the coffee is better :)

update.
    I emailed ponaire on sunday evening expecting a reply monday and heard nothing.
    I then called them this morning. It appears it was shipped last thursday without a label and returned to them.
    It was sent out again yesterday and delivered this morning .

Frankly, I'm not too impressed with their level of customer service. Lets hope the coffee is better :)

That's definitely not the usual experience - I'm sure it wouldn't happen again! Shame you didn't get a free bag :pac:

J_E wrote: »
    That's definitely not the usual experience - I'm sure it wouldn't happen again! Shame you didn't get a free bag :pac:

Yeah I have ordered 4 or 5 times now, no problems, so I am sure it was a one-off. That's very unfortunate but I would have expected a discount code for your next order or something as a gesture. Always easier to keep a customer than get a new one!

Yeah I have ordered 4 or 5 times now, no problems, so I am sure it was a one-off. That's very unfortunate but I would have expected a discount code for your next order or something as a gesture. Always easier to keep a customer than get a new one!

Sadly got nothing, just an explanation as to what happened.ive just to take his word on that!

On the other hand the coffee is nice.
    I opened the Nicaraguan and am impressed.
    It even looks creamy in the filter when I add water.
    Far superior to boabab.

I am a big fan of their European blend - never tried the Nicaraguan. Their prices are definitely decent for the quality imo.

• Advertisement

I find their shop somewhat confusing, like it needs updating - Burundi has been out of stock for ages, Nicaraguan is available to purchase but the description claims it isn't!

Advertisement