Advertisement
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

1235737

Comments



  • You walk into a normal supermarket to buy coffee, for a normal filter machine. What do you buy? Lavazza? Segafredo? Douwe Egberts?

    My gf and myself wouldn't be big coffee drinkers at home, despite the fact she is Dutch. All we have atm is a bag of Aldi Red roast. I thought it was weird first how the Dutch drink coffee (times and stuff) but I've slowly come to like it.

    Also.. a website I really like.
    http://en.ilovecoffee.jp/




  • pajor wrote: »
    You walk into a normal supermarket to buy coffee, for a normal filter machine. What do you buy? Lavazza? Segafredo? Douwe Egberts?

    My gf and myself wouldn't be big coffee drinkers at home, despite the fact she is Dutch. All we have atm is a bag of Aldi Red roast. I thought it was weird first how the Dutch drink coffee (times and stuff) but I've slowly come to like it.

    Also.. a website I really like.
    http://en.ilovecoffee.jp/

    Are you talking beans or preground? I'm not big into getting supermarket coffee (although some brands like M&S and Tesco do have roast dates if you look under barcode), but if you're around a city or somewhere with a good cafe, getting them to grind a batch for you fresh will make a world of difference in taste as well as supporting a local business.




  • pajor wrote: »
    I thought it was weird first how the Dutch drink coffee (times and stuff) but I've slowly come to like it.

    Sorry I haven't heard of the "weird" coffee drinking rituals of the Dutch, could you enlighten me please.

    I'm fairly normal I think, every weekday I have a double shot cappuccino at 8am, 3:30pm and again at 11pm.




  • Sorry I haven't heard of the "weird" coffee drinking rituals of the Dutch, could you enlighten me please.

    I'm fairly normal I think, every weekday I have a double shot cappuccino at 8am, 3:30pm and again at 11pm.

    Well never mind that then. :pac: 10am and 8pm is 'koffie tijd' - coffee time. I could never drink coffee at 8pm before. Would leave me wired all evening. But that must just be me then.

    One other thing is putting very warm milk in coffee. We go to my gf's grandparents on Sunday mornings for coffee. They put a pan of milk on the cooker and just leave it there all morning. When all the milk is used up, my gf's aunt likes to actually eat the milk skin stuck to the pan. Makes my stomach turn thinking about it.

    I do mean preground. I just don't have the money to be spending on expensive coffee atm unfortunately. Have had a pack of Colombian own blend from this place before and it was amazing. Though I did send a pack of it and a Costan Rican blend to my mum for her birthday recently.




  • There are too many third-wave cafes in Dublin with a boring white/birch/scandinavian aesthetic! I wish places would be a bit more bold with their style choices, even if the coffee is great. It's just a tired look at this stage, Irish cafes should try create their own aesthetic. The same goes for the food choices, the open counter food presentation just seems strange and unhygenic, stuff surely gets stale faster.


  • Advertisement


  • Shot in the dark - looking to upgrade grinder to pair with a Gaggia Classic. Would prefer to keep under 200 (a good bit under if possible) and definitely open to 2nd hand. Would I be best to keep an eye on Adverts/Donedeal or is there anything worth considering new that'd be on the lower scale? Or alternatively, am I crazy to think it's possible?




  • Keep an eye on adverts etc for sure. What are you using currently?




  • adrian522 wrote: »
    Keep an eye on adverts etc for sure. What are you using currently?

    For my sins, a Delonghi KG79 that I've modified to grind fine enough for espresso. It's been my faithful temp grinder for quite a while now and it's got me to here, but I'm losing interest fast at not being able to improve shots past where I am now.




  • Probably better value to be had second hand, but a good one will still be hard to find as you will want to see it in action before purchasing.

    I wouldn't fancy any of the new grinders in that price range when trying to make espresso unless you want a hand grinder. Coffeeangel used to do the baratza grinders, but now all they seem to have is the entry level "Encore" which is not suitable and the Sage pro which is over budget and I've no experience of it so cant really comment.

    The Baratza precisio or virtuoso usually get good reviews, as does the rancillio rocky, if you can find any for that price.




  • adrian522 wrote: »
    Probably better value to be had second hand, but a good one will still be hard to find as you will want to see it in action before purchasing.

    I wouldn't fancy any of the new grinders in that price range when trying to make espresso unless you want a hand grinder. Coffeeangel used to do the baratza grinders, but now all they seem to have is the entry level "Encore" which is not suitable and the Sage pro which is over budget and I've no experience of it so cant really comment.

    The Baratza precisio or virtuoso usually get good reviews, as does the rancillio rocky, if you can find any for that price.

    Cheers Adrian - will keep an eye out so.


  • Advertisement


  • Bawnmore wrote: »
    Shot in the dark - looking to upgrade grinder to pair with a Gaggia Classic. Would prefer to keep under 200 (a good bit under if possible) and definitely open to 2nd hand. Would I be best to keep an eye on Adverts/Donedeal or is there anything worth considering new that'd be on the lower scale? Or alternatively, am I crazy to think it's possible?

    I know this isn't within your budget but after buying so many grinders myself over the years I still swear that this is one of the best. It is so versatile, simple to dial in and so easy to both clean and replace parts(by ordering from Baratza in the US). With the exchange rate the way it is right now it's worth the investment:
    https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/mahlkonig-vario-coffee-grinder.html

    I have bought from bellabarista myself previously and rate them highly in terms of the customer service [snipped]

    I have previously sold machines and grinders on adverts so if that is all your budget can reach then do keep an eye out but you'd probably be lucky to pick up a second hand Vario for €350.




  • Agree on the vario, bought one in 2010 and it is still going strong and I've no need to upgrade it, though I may need to replace the burrs soon.

    Paid 375 for this then and I reckon I'd get a good chunk of that back in the morning if I wanted to sell it. I bought it from coffee angel who I'd recommned dealing with it if they are any way compeititive on price as I'd an issue with mine and was able to drop it back and Karl had the Malkahonig rep take a look at it for me, gave me a bag of beans for the trouble.




  • On the look for a grinder upgrade too - my poor arms could use a break from the Mini Mill, and the steps are just too far apart for a perfect grind. I'd still use it for filter grind though. Kicking myself I didn't jump for the Silvia/Rocky combo on Adverts before.




  • for a decent value solution, i bought one of these last year and i'm happy with it, never owned the units mentioned above so can't comment how it compares

    https://www.amazon.de/Graef-CM800-Kaffeem%C3%BChle-CM-800/dp/B00CS2DAEG/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1467791175&sr=1-1




  • mossym wrote: »
    for a decent value solution, i bought one of these last year and i'm happy with it, never owned the units mentioned above so can't comment how it compares

    https://www.amazon.de/Graef-CM800-Kaffeem%C3%BChle-CM-800/dp/B00CS2DAEG/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1467791175&sr=1-1

    I've been looking at this also as an option based on a thread I saw here (could definitely have been yours).

    Would love a Vario, but I think it's probably a bit down the line - can totally see why it would be worth investing in, but we've a new baba in the house which means investments are being kept to a minimum :)




  • not mine i'd say, don't think i ever posted about it, think it's Muahahaha who has been talking it up




  • mossym wrote: »
    not mine i'd say, don't think i ever posted about it, think it's Muahahaha who has been talking it up

    Cheers - did you buy from Amazon? I'm trying to find out what shipping would be to Ireland - have contacted the seller, so may just need to be patient!




  • yup, Amazon DE. total cost 144 euros to ireland




  • Looks like today is sour shots day :( can I blame the humidity?




  • Really liked the ponaire Nicaraguan. Just opened the Ethiopian and not too impressed.

    I've 500gr to get through ;)


  • Advertisement


  • Really liked the ponaire Nicaraguan. Just opened the Ethiopian and not too impressed.

    I've 500gr to get through ;)

    I got the European espresso and I think it was Nicaraguan and I couldn't even finish them.
    I found them completely underwhelming and bland.
    I ran straight back to badger & Dodo and 3FE.




  • I got the European espresso and I think it was Nicaraguan and I couldn't even finish them.
    I found them completely underwhelming and bland.
    I ran straight back to badger & Dodo and 3FE.

    Went into 3fe last year for a coffee and didn't like it. Will try b&d




  • I got the European espresso and I think it was Nicaraguan and I couldn't even finish them.
    I found them completely underwhelming and bland.
    I ran straight back to badger & Dodo and 3FE.

    I do like the European espresso - but these things are probably subjective (or I have no taste :o)

    Might try a few from badger & dodo - anyone recommend anything? Am definitely going for the jam jar espresso. Dellivery seems very reasonable at €3.50




  • Really liked the ponaire Nicaraguan. Just opened the Ethiopian and not too impressed.

    I've 500gr to get through ;)

    Seconded on the Nicaraguan and their Bobolink, getting this really nice praline flavour out of it.

    I have the Ethiopian but as they suggest, it only works well as a filter coffee. Couldn't get anything out of it as espresso but it had pleasant flavours through an Aeropress.

    Got European as well, it was my first time getting 250g bags from them and I was a little disappointed that it didn't have the roast date, only the month. I get the feeling Nicaraguan was the freshest of them from the crunch of the beans. I'd say I'll buy a kilo of either the Nicaraguan or Bobolink, enjoying both of those.




  • Just ordered from bailies, delivery is £4.50 for Ireland but free for UK. Seems to be a bit of disincentive for people in the Republic. Went with Parcel Motel, but I'd prefer if they could offer a better rate for us, even if it was just surface mail




  • Bailies used to do 2 bags with free delivery to Ireland I think - is that gone? :(

    Might go with them again now that sterling has fallen though.




  • Seems to be gone yes.




  • adrian522 wrote: »
    Seems to be gone yes.
    It's still free shipping on their starter packs (or at least it is on their single origin starter pack). The site mentions 'Free UK delivery', but once you get to the shipping method page, standard delivery is free.
    Speciality Starter Pack - Free UK Delivery
    Whole Roasted Beans
    1 £13.99 GBP
    Cost summary
    Description Price
    Subtotal £13.99 GBP
    Shipping Free
    Total GBP £13.99 GBP




  • Just ordered 2 x 250g bags from Bailies and didn't get charged for shipping to Ireland - happy days!


  • Advertisement


  • Just ordered 2 x 250g bags from Bailies and didn't get charged for shipping to Ireland - happy days!

    What did you order.?


Advertisement