Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY eJuice thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It is weird that it happens with strawberry, where most other fruits are good to go after a quick steep, if you don't use certain creams or custard. I made a blueberry yogurt recently, and a pineapple/mang coconut one. They were popping with flavour after 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭chipfox

I've steeped a passionfruit / blueberry mix for 10 weeks now. Liked it at first but I'm still stuck on custard / cream stuff. The steep made absolutely no difference to that one. I always assumed strawberries were shake and vape friendly but just thinking about it, any strawberry recipe that exists generally has 10% or greater. You rarely see that high % for any other ingredient and I'm starting to think that's because of the insane steep time. Nobody can wait 2 months to try out a new mix it's just not happening. I only did because I made new mixes that I preferred to stuff I had already made.

Starting to think I should just mix up a litre of my ADV and continue as is. You need to mix a lot and accumulate mixes on the side if you want to steep without going crazy

I have a good stock now of juices steeping at various stages. I test random ones daily, and give all of them a bit of air, a sniff, and good shake and put them back to bed.

I have found that basic fruity mixes are best for 'shake'n'vape' [without any stubborn creams or custards] - but have found this with some yogurt/cheesecake mixes too. One that I make, that I named 'Long gone day' - is a peach-mango greek yogurt cheesecake. Sounds like it would need a right good long steep? It's great after a couple of days, just to let everything settle in. It just works. I've made over 200ml of it to date. I have a bottle almost a month old with some left in, and a bottle I mixed up 2 days ago. Hardly any difference.

Some other mixes I've tried are still very bland after almost a month. I did a blackcurrant/strawberry cheesecake and that's not bowling me over. I have mixed a couple of raspberry mixes, and none of them are great yet after 12 days. Could be just certain flavours? I know I won't buy Capella raspberry again at least. It was their sweet raspberry I was after but nowhere had it.

Hazelnut is another that is just bland ... I mixed up one with that and maple pecan, with some custard and other bits and bobs ... bland .. added some double choc and butterscotch, stuck it in a spare brown bottle and forgot about it. Now it's tasting pretty good!

It's all an interesting learning process. And according to E-LR, and the loose numbers I threw at their calculator, I'm making 50ml of finished juice for not much over €3. So I don't mind some trial and error for it :)

I've read some people on the mix forums steep custards or heavy creams separately for weeks, then add in strawberry or whatever so it doesn't get lost during steeping. That's not a bad idea.

I'm thinking of mixing up a good custard base, [say cap custard v1 and bav cream] put it away at the back of the press and forget about it for weeks. Then split it into smaller bottles and add whatever. I'm thinking if I mix at 4mg, then adding other flavours later on will round it down closer to my usual preferred 3mg.

Greek yoghurt gets no love and tastes good so fast. Out of all of the "creams" I would call that the most creamy. I'd still add bavarian but it doesn't add nearly as much as the yoghurt. That 8 week steep I have actually has greek yoghurt in it I completely forgot. Think I might have used FA Strawberry in that one too but just can't remember...

Some flavours just seem to work together and some don't, kind of mad how it works. Some stuff will be bland but at the right % with another mix they can seem perfect.

I think if you're going for raspberry you just need strawberry to bulk it up otherwise it just doesn't taste right. Probably sweetener too but I still haven't gotten around to using it. The ehealthierchoice raspberry was really nice but no concentrates seem to taste like it at all. Their banana too...

I love TFA Greek yogurt, it is becoming one of my go to flavourings. I love that it's good after a couple of days, I love that sourness, it's got a 'muskiness' about it. Paired with the right fruits, and a lick of cheesecake for extra body, it's amazing. Honestly, you could just fire a fruit and a bit of NY cheesecake with some sweetener at it, and you're getting a lovely juice. You do need to kind of like yogurt though :D

I like that idea of a lick of strawberry to boost the raspberry. I'm actually going to add some to a couple of the ones I have steeping, because even smelling them is boring me atm lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

I'll add to that... the perception of flavour can vary quite a bit day to day and time of day too. Makes the DIYers life difficult at times (pun LOL). Got to be wary of that when judging a mix and a taste it over a few days.

A couple of links I've saved that talk about flavour profiles and flavour maps. Interesting stuff.

http://typeandimage.blogspot.ie/2010/11/map-flavor.html

http://nouveauraw.com/raw-recipe-templates-and-development/flavor-prfiles-that-pair-well-in-recipes/

I have that second link bookmarked a few weeks now :) someone posted it somewhere or other, nice quick guide. Of course you can stray from it too. But that's more trial and error.

You definitely begin to learn what goes with what the more you mix. Blueberry is one I'm finding tough atm. Or rather, the blueberry I have [FW] as it's a very sweet, blue slushy type taste. It doesn't want to get along with certain other fruits I have. It's mucked up a few testers. But on it's own it makes a great mix with yogurt [I do honestly thing any fruit type concentrate will gel with that Greek yogurt] and it's working with vanilla cupcake/sugar cookie mixes too. But it's one I really need to watch what I'm adding to.

Love those darkstar bottles. Got 6x30mls of the old reliables. Got 6 free syringes too which was really nice, badly needed some and couldn't be arsed ordering them.

Gonna make up some 250ml bottles of my ADV and let them steep for a long time. Still have a good bit of stuff steeped so just trying to stay ahead of the curve. Steeping is a bitch

I'd say give TFA's Blueberry Wild a go. I got Capella's to try out after and is crap by comparisson. Just really sweet. The wild one is fairly mild but tastes like actual blueberries or at least very close

Might check that blueberry out next order so.

I mixed up some Bounty last night. Or my attempt to replicate it at least. So far it's smelling just like the bar, the coconut is a bit artificial-ish atm, but I imagine that'll pass after some steeping. I let it air out over night.

My DarkStar order took 3 days to process, but I know they were backed up on orders with the bank hols and they also had a 25% code on the go. It's nic and VG, which I'm not in any panic for, but also my Cap VC V1 ... I need that!!! :D

Ok, I'm clocking up a basket here on P'n'M and pondering on a few flavours: Capella apple pie, TFA dragonfruit, TFA orange cream [I know chipfox likes this one?]

Anyone tried cap's apple pie? or TFA dragonfruit?

Going to give that blueberry wild a shot too

• Advertisement

Dragonfruit seems to be in a huge number of recipes. I have no idea what the hell a dragonfruit is but if it's in that many mixes it's probably just good to have.

Let us know what the apple pie is like, it sounds good but I'd like to hear someone else's take on it first. I made an orange bavarian cream from a recipe I got on ELR but it's way too strong, I just use it in any mother's milk clone I'm making now. Maybe not the best for a single flavour but it's a nice one.

I don't know how signatures work here yet but made we could start adding our ELR stashes in them just to make it easier

Why don't you buy 10ml bottles from that polish site? I remember it was way way cheaper

I was looking on Inaweraflours.com too, because it seems to be the only place to get their biscuit. But you have to buy a min of €21, and I only wanted to try a couple. The Polish site is great if you're buying a lot, might have a look and see if they have what I want. But their postage is almost €6 no matter the order. So it's not great for just grabbing a couple of flavours

The great thing about p'n'm is the fast delivery. The Polish site takes about a week.

Not inawera it was like dyms.pl or something. 10mls were like 1.80 each or something

I'd say pick up Graham Cracker if you don't have any. Really strong stuff and has a really nice biscuit taste. Probably much better than inawera's

chipfox wrote: »
    Not inawera it was like dyms.pl or something. 10mls were like 1.80 each or something

I'd say pick up Graham Cracker if you don't have any. Really strong stuff and has a really nice biscuit taste. Probably much better than inawera's

yeah I know, but I was looking on Inawera's own site too. the other Polish one is https://e-dym.pl/gb/ - you really want to be buying 10+ concentrates to make it cheap, because the postage will be €6

They do take a week to get it to you though. grand if you're not in a hurry. Same as usual though, none of the sites have what I want, I'll have to split up orders yet again :/ grrr

Not actually tried plain graham cracker yet, only the cheesecake graham crust, which I love, but you don't always want cheesecake. Might add that one in yeah, cheers.

My prize from fresh03 arrived this morning

BQVxsaH.jpg

I initially won 30ml of pre-made addy's yogurt, but I cheekily asked Fluent vapors if I could have the concentrate instead. they obliged, and they threw in 15ml of their Appalachian delight concentrate too :)

Just mixed up 50ml of the addy's yogurt at 20%, gave it a quick hot bath to give it a good shake up, and right from the off it's bloody good. Mostly kiwi I'm getting with the blueberry and strawberry just sneaking about in the background. I'm sure they'll come through with time. Will make 100ml with the rest and let it steep away.

I will definitely have to try FW Kiwi at some point. It's seems pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Any recommendations for like a strong tangy fruity flavour. Something like a sorbet, or calypso or solero icecream type thing.

Yeah I wouldn't mind trying some sorbet type juices for when[if] the weather gets a bit sunnier. Just forthat fruity, summery feel goodness.

Seen people mention sherbet for flavouring somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭j26m

So I ordered a starter kit from picknmix to see what this mixing lark is about...

I'm gonna have loads of questions, hope ye don't mind.

The first is regarding existing juices.
    I have about 200ml Liqua juices, mainly Vanilla, but either the nic is too high, or the PG is too high as I'm getting a reaction so I'm moving to lower nic/higher VG liquids.
    Can I use the Liqua juice I have as a base, and add VG and maybe a wee bit of flavouring to make up for the dilution? What I have is 18mg and 70% PG My target is about 10-12mg and over 50% VG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

j26m wrote: »
    So I ordered a starter kit from picknmix to see what this mixing lark is about...

I have about 200ml Liqua juices, mainly Vanilla, but either the nic is too high, or the PG is too high as I'm getting a reaction so I'm moving to lower nic/higher VG liquids.
    Can I use the Liqua juice I have as a base, and add VG and maybe a wee bit of flavouring to make up for the dilution? What I have is 18mg and 70% PG My target is about 10-12mg and over 50% VG.

Liqua as far as I know is 80/20 PG/VG which is very high if you happen to be having a reaction to the PG.
    What your suggesting as regards using your existing liquid is possible but will be very difficult to get to the required VG/PG and nic ratios that you want and you may end up with a very bland liquid. If it was myself I'd mix a 50/50 VG/PG base,add your required nic and a Vanilla concentrate. About 15% concentrate is a good starting point but some of them are very strong so less will be required.
    My advice is keep it simple to start with until you get the hang of it and there's loads of info and advice here so you shouldn't have a problem.
    Here's a good calculator for getting your mixes right.

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/create

But it can be done, right?

I won't be starting out with something as complicated as that, but I'd hate to see all that juice wasted, so in time maybe I'll give it a go.

• Advertisement

But it can be done, right?

I won't be starting out with something as complicated as that, but I'd hate to see all that juice wasted, so in time maybe I'll give it a go.

I'd use the Liqua as a concentrate,mix your base and add the Liqua till you get the flavour your happy with. :)

Yeah course it can be done. igetcha69, famous vaping reviewer, buys cheap Titan fluid tobacco at 18mg and tones it down with VG, as his ADV.

You will reduce the flavour though, but it might actually be nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

Probably the easiest way to do it is like this.

Say you have a 30ml 18mg liqua vanilla at 70pg. Mix up a 30ml 0mg max vg (only pg is in the flavouring) vanilla at say 15%. Mix the two in a larger bottle to get a liquid that is 9mg and very approximately 42pg/58vg. Can't say what it would taste like though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Hoping someone can help here.

I bought 500 ml base at 65/35 pg/vg at 15 mg nic from cloudhousevapor.

I initially made a extreme ice mix at 5% in a 30 ml bottle, same for a blueberry mix. I let them steep for a few days (occasionally shaking/squeezing the air out). When I vape I get awful scratching at the back of my throat. I've changed coils on the nautilus and also tried it with my subtank but no joy. Am I supposed to let the base steep before mixing, or where am I going wrong.

Thanks

Plascebo wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help here.

I bought 500 ml base at 65/35 pg/vg at 15 mg nic from cloudhousevapor.

I initially made a extreme ice mix at 5% in a 30 ml bottle, same for a blueberry mix. I let them steep for a few days (occasionally shaking/squeezing the air out). When I vape I get awful scratching at the back of my throat. I've changed coils on the nautilus and also tried it with my subtank but no joy. Am I supposed to let the base steep before mixing, or where am I going wrong.

Thanks

65 PG and 15mg nic is a strong combination for a powerful throat hit,personally I couldn't do it without coughing up a lung :D
    You don't need to steep your base,it's good to go,it's only when you add the flavourings that steeping may be required,especially custards.
    5% in 30ml is 1.5ml flavour to 28.5ml base,Extreme Ice is an MBV concentrate and they are very weak flavours unless you add about 15% before you get the benefits.
    I would say that your problem lies in the combination of high PG and high nic,it is possible to alter the mix that you have but a few calculations need to be done before attempting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

jno547 wrote: »
    65 PG and 15mg nic is a strong combination for a powerful throat hit,personally I couldn't do it without coughing up a lung :D

I would say that your problem lies in the combination of high PG and high nic,it is possible to alter the mix that you have but a few calculations need to be done before attempting that.

Thanks for the reply.

I am "trying" to replicate Extreme Menthol :o The one I get from e-smokeireland is 60 PG at 18 mg nic with no throat issues (I also use red astaire which I believe is 70 PG)

Most of the juices I use are around the 70 PG range, which I thought was the average mix, especially for a nautilus at 11W. Plus I thought it was VG, not PG, for the throat hit, no?

Plascebo wrote:
    I am "trying" to replicate Extreme Menthol The one I get from e-smokeireland is 60 PG at 18 mg nic with no throat issues (I also use red astaire which I believe is 70 PG)

Plascebo wrote:
    Most of the juices I use are around the 70 PG range, which I thought was the average mix, especially for a nautilus at 11W. Plus I thought it was VG, not PG, for the throat hit, no?

VG gives a much smoother vape with clouds, PG will give the throat hit. Higher PG will probably wick better in a Nautilus as it will be a much thinner juice. Higher VG juice is a thicker juice and wicks well in tanks with larger juice channels and wicking holes.

That's one thing about buying pre-mixed bases, you're just going by what you actually ordered. There's a slight chance they sent the wrong mix, or mixed it stronger than you expected. Menthol should be good to go, it's one of the most shake'n'vape types. It's either the base is off, or maybe it's just the concentrate you used? Maybe it's just really harsh to begin with. I would try a similar mix with another concentrate, see if you still get the same issue.

Yeah course it can be done. igetcha69, famous vaping reviewer, buys cheap Titan fluid tobacco at 18mg and tones it down with VG, as his ADV.

You will reduce the flavour though, but it might actually be nicer.

So, the kit arrived this morning in work, and me being me had to go at it straight away :) Syringes all over the desk.....

I had half a bottle of Liqua Blueberry (18mg) in my desk, which I doubled up with VG and a wee bit of TFA Vanilla Custard, so I now have a quite acceptable juice at 9mm. A bit of time steeping and this could actually be quite nice.

• Advertisement

So, the kit arrived this morning in work, and me being me had to go at it straight away :) Syringes all over the desk.....

I had half a bottle of Liqua Blueberry (18mg) in my desk, which I doubled up with VG and a wee bit of TFA Vanilla Custard, so I now have a quite acceptable juice at 9mm. A bit of time steeping and this could actually be quite nice.

Liqua blueberry was one of my first ever juices haha :) bit of nostalgia there. Wasn't bad either from what I remember, had a kind of bubblegum taste to it But yeah, it was very high PG.

TFA custard is pretty light, it would benefit from steeping for sure, but it's probably grand to vape away. I see it as more like a vanilla cream towards Capella's custard.

But good job, you're now officially a mixer :D Honestly, doing it from scratch isn't any more complicated, you just add separate nic. There's a few more calculations and a bit more trial and error, but it isn't any harder than what you've done.

Advertisement