Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

I think people though I was a bit mad, but we got our thank you cards out straight after our wedding in October, like maybe 2 weeks after! We were just so overwhelmed with the gifts we received, we wanted to thank everyone. We had 2 hd pictures from the photographer so used one of those, and ordered them on photobox.

We received all of HD photo from our photographer on the 23rd Dec, so sat down over Xmas to look at them, really happy with them. There are a few that I thought should be in there, so might ask about those, but really do love them, they really tell the story of the day. As we took RSVP's to our wedding via email we had most peoples email addresses, so sat down over Xmas and emailed them on. Our photographer was great and got pictures of every single guest, so forwarded on the pics to everyone. Also did some printing for friends and family.

Next step is make up some collage canvas prints for our home! There is 50% off on photobox at the moment if you spend over 65e so will be making use of that! Also we just had a mini break after our wedding, so honeymoon planning is soon to begin! Sad to think its all over, but 2015 was a super super year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

I know it's so sad to think it's all over bar the thank you cards discussion on this thread, sob!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We won a competition to get a certain service for free for our wedding. I don't want to go into specifics of the service because they did a good job, but they're a total pain in the ass to deal with. There's some really poor business practices at play, but I can't complain because they were free! So I have to keep sending emails being like "Oh heeeyyy, remember that thing that was supposed to be sorted on your end 2 months ago? Yeah, it's still not sorted...". I imagine the reason the business ran the competition was to get word out and hope we'd promote them to our friends, but I couldn't possibly recommend them to another couple with the unprofessional way they have done a few things. It's a shame, because the service itself was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Faith wrote: »
    We won a competition to get a certain service for free for our wedding. I don't want to go into specifics of the service because they did a good job, but they're a total pain in the ass to deal with. There's some really poor business practices at play, but I can't complain because they were free! So I have to keep sending emails being like "Oh heeeyyy, remember that thing that was supposed to be sorted on your end 2 months ago? Yeah, it's still not sorted...". I imagine the reason the business ran the competition was to get word out and hope we'd promote them to our friends, but I couldn't possibly recommend them to another couple with the unprofessional way they have done a few things. It's a shame, because the service itself was good.

That's terrible...you think when it's competition winners they would go above and beyond. You could say acknowledge that you're not paying, but say you expected better. More on the side of constructive criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Faith wrote: »

Similar experience our end. Within our wedding package the hotel included a couple of services, supplied by external suppliers. The package was great, when you added up the cost of the additional services on their own we def saved money and were happy with the deal. We paid for the package, hotel paid their suppliers.

However we found that one provider in particular, although I genuinely can't fault their work on the day itself, was hard to deal with a bit before, and certainly afterwards. I know that the hotel pay this supplier less than they charge their own customers, but given the amount of business they get from the hotel, had an agreement with the hotel. However they were very slow to deal with afterwards, felt like we had to hound them, and generally got the impression that we were far less important that their other private customers. This was not something that I considered when we booked, but thinking about it now, they were likely paid straight away, or on whatever agreement they have, so we didnt actually owe them money, so we didnt have much haggling power when it came to pushing them for the after service. Again I can't fault the service itself, it is just dealing with them afterwards. If anyone was asking me for advice on this it is certainly something that I would tell people to consider.

When you hire someone directly yourself, the agreement is with them, and you have some power over it, especially if you have not fully paid for everything. We felt that if we did have a problem, was it the hotel we should go back to? Now it didnt come to that, and all worked out ok, but something to consider. Although I would recommend the service, the overall experience as a whole….Im not sure tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

So so bad and such a shame, glad they worked out though on the day but the stress leading up to it no one needs if they are being scatty

Mm trying to guess what these certain things are now :) Photos booths?

Must say recommendations are the best way to go for services I find.. We took a chance with the lady we got to do the table covers (although in her head she was a wedding planner and kept telling people this) and I thought sure how much can she mess up.. And by god I was fit to kill her I mean how can a woman not know how to iron or put a tablecloth on complete chancer...

kildareash wrote: »
    That's terrible...you think when it's competition winners they would go above and beyond. You could say acknowledge that you're not paying, but say you expected better. More on the side of constructive criticism.

It's not that they've done anything wrong, it's just sooo slow. We would have expected to finish dealing with them within 3 months of the wedding, but it's still dragging on. And the emails I get aren't written professionally; it's more like they're emailing a buddy. Kind of: "Alright Faith girl, sorry about that. I'm out with the lads at the moment but I'll look into it when I get home" and then I hear nothing until I email again saying "...Did you have a chance to look at that?".

Some people might be totally fine with that approach, but it grates on me when it's a professional discussion.
    Mimojo wrote: »
    However they were very slow to deal with afterwards, felt like we had to hound them, and generally got the impression that we were far less important that their other private customers.

That's the exact feeling I have!

Mimojo wrote: »

When you hire someone directly yourself, the agreement is with them, and you have some power over it, especially if you have not fully paid for everything. .

If it's any consolation i haven't heard of any photographer or videographer where you don't pay all the amount upfront or on the day latest. Before my wedding day arrived I had handed over all the cash (3300 in total between the lot) to the photographer and videographer and apparently they all work that way. So you have no comeback even if you had gone privately, it's done on trust.

Finally got my high res images! Going to do the thank you cards in the next week.
    Any recommendations for companies that do high quality thank you cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CorkClaire82

I went with Vistaprint and I really liked them, Photobox are good too but I found them a bit expensive.

I have the majority of my Thank You cards gone but still a few need to be sent out, I've left himself look after his side and not one has been done (bar the 2-3 I did of mutual friends that I just handed to people). They are a pain but we put photos in the cards and I think people appreciated that and it made up for the complete lateness of doing them, our anniversary is next month like :P

• Advertisement

I went with Vistaprint and I really liked them, Photobox are good too but I found them a bit expensive.

I have the majority of my Thank You cards gone but still a few need to be sent out, I've left himself look after his side and not one has been done (bar the 2-3 I did of mutual friends that I just handed to people). They are a pain but we put photos in the cards and I think people appreciated that and it made up for the complete lateness of doing them, our anniversary is next month like :P

Thank you, I'll look at both of those.
    yeah I'm going to put photos in (where i have suitable ones) still waiting on my photographers to send me the last 16 outstanding colour versions I requested then I'll be good to go. But I can get started on most of them anyway, I don't need any of the colour versions for making the cards, only for enclosing in the cards

I only started looking into Thank You cards last week. I've been on such a downer since the wedding, I just want to go back to last year and do it all again :(

Anyway, I think we're going to go with some local printers. I only want a post-card style that I can write a short note on the back of. I've been quoted €70 including envelopes for 120. Just need to do a final count of how many I need and get cracking on actually ordering them!

But local independent printer might be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

kildareash wrote: »
    I only started looking into Thank You cards last week. I've been on such a downer since the wedding, I just want to go back to last year and do it all again :(

But local independent printer might be an option?

My sister used these guys

http://www.thankyoucards.ie

They were great. Cant remember how much though.

OH no Kildareash maybe you should go on a nice mini moon for yerselfs.. Kinda wish I could go back to the big day too and be more chilled and less sick... but sure

I found the local printers great too €70 is a great price especially inc the envelopes. They can be a bugger to get the correct sizes..

We got ours printed now more than three months ago and we are still waiting to sit down and write them... got ones made up from Rob Stears he is great, was very well priced too.... Just the thought of writing more cards.... haha id be tempted to send one to a friend of my mothers who had a hissy fit because she wasn't invited but I wont...

Milly33 wrote: »
    OH no Kildareash maybe you should go on a nice mini moon for yerselfs..

We got ours printed now more than three months ago and we are still waiting to sit down and write them... got ones made up from Rob Stears he is great, was very well priced too.... Just the thought of writing more cards.... haha id be tempted to send one to a friend of my mothers who had a hissy fit because she wasn't invited but I wont...

I'd love to head away for a few days but finances don't allow it at the minute. *sigh*

It is nice not to have that pressure of saving for the wedding anymore though, we're still saving the same amount every month as we were before the wedding, but we dip in and out of if we need or want something.

I got a Rob Stears print for himself for Xmas and I love it, it's just fab. I sent him a few images from the wedding day and he encapsulated them into one print perfectly.

Really! haha glad his name is out there now.. Rob's that is he does great work.. I got a special Christmas card made up from him and a sketch kinda something similar to what you say, a little cartoon sketch with how we met and how it all happened...

Ye are very good saving, we have been a little bold now but then we did say for the first few months after we would be.. But tis like the new year now so we need to knock that...Even after moving home we are still spending more money than we should be...

Pitch a tent in the backyard and pretend ye are away haha well maybe when the weather picks up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

We too have had a dismal time. Both of us lost our jobs around November. Then I sort of got mine back under a different arrangement. Husband just got a job too starting Monday. And then I have had health issues to boot. Think we are finally getting back on track now though. I'm glad we had our lovely wedding day and honeymoon last year. This year would be a different story!

Jes ladies haha maybe we were better off not getting married..

Hope ye are both ok Fits! Sounds like a dose...

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

We got ours ages ago and even wrot most of them but have only sent a few. I just need to buy a batch of stamps and post them.

Sorry to hear ye have been having a tough time fits & kildareash. Hopefully things will start looking up from now on.

We went with vistaprint for ours. I thought they were really nice :). We got most sent out before Christmas, but we needed about 5 addresses and only managed to get hold of them last week :eek:. So a few were very delayed.

For any future brides and grooms reading this, I highly recommend a delayed honeymoon. We didn't even book ours until after the wedding. We got married in August, booked the honeymoon in late September and went on it for the first two weeks of February. It was a brilliant way to bypass the post-wedding blues.

• Advertisement

With you on that Faith. We done the mini moon option.. Went on a short break after the wedding, then later on went for a long weekend break away, another then at Christmas and we still have lots left to do something else... Cant wait for the next one

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Ladies, I hope ye don't mind me asking but I'm just wondering who ye used for invites? I'm getting some made and each card is in usually hand printed so they ain't too cheap but I was thinking of getting some others as a back up for writing errors and that. I had a look on vista and optimal print but none seem to allow a line to write the guests name on which is very much what I want. Hope ye can help?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nickiirl

Hi Ladies, @Milly33 & @Faith We did the same! We got married last March (hard to believe its a year already) and we did a mini moon around Ireland for a few days. We booked our honeymoon after the wedding too. We went on a Caribbean cruise end of July/Aug. It was lovely to have it to look forward to after the wedding. We did our thank you cards on vista print and they turned out lovely and they weren't too expensive either. We used one of those promo codes and I think we got about 70ish.. We still had some left over. We did them when we were about 6 months married. I still have a few here that I haven't seen yet to give them.

@Chewchew We made our own invitations as we found it was expensive and it was easier to make them. We did a lot of DIY ourselves to be honest, the only thing I was unable to get right was the inserts (and I tried and you-tubed everything) which we got done in the printers in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

ChewChew wrote: »
    Ladies, I hope ye don't mind me asking but I'm just wondering who ye used for invites? I'm getting some made and each card is in usually hand printed so they ain't too cheap but I was thinking of getting some others as a back up for writing errors and that. I had a look on vista and optimal print but none seem to allow a line to write the guests name on which is very much what I want. Hope ye can help?

Chew chew we went with vistaprint. We uploaded our own design so got the line etc we needed. Lots of etsy sellers will sell you just the image that you can upload yourselves to vistaprint Just be careful that the dimensions are right as each vistaprint site uk,us, Ireland etc. use slightly different measurements.

A tip with vistaprint. Go through the ordering process but don't checkout. Wait a week or so and they will send you discount codes. I actually ordered from the vistaprint US website as it was cheaper even with the higher postage.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We still haven't sent ours! Just over 10 months since the wedding so we really should get around to it. Baby arrived 5 days ago so we're a little otherwise occupied at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nickiirl

Big Congrats to you both @rainbow kirby! :)

Congrats to ye kirby!! Hope ye are all doing great,

Oh a cruise i would love to go on one..Are they good then? I would not be much of a sun worshiper or anything like that, was thinking maybe of the one to the northern lights haha or the Disney cruise..

We got our thank you cards from Rob Stears ChewChew he is Dublin based loverly chap and he does it all himself, he can do custom ones. will send the envelopes in all with it.. i think we got it a little cheaper as we used him before but it was nothing mad

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

. Baby arrived 5 days ago so we're a little otherwise occupied at the moment :)

Woop! Congratulations. Boy or girl?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Little boy-shaped bundle of cuteness :)

• Advertisement

So, our hotel does the usual stay-for-free-on-your-1-year-anniversary thing. Are hotels typically rigid about dates, do you think? We got married in August but won't be in Ireland until September again.

Advertisement