Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

• 15-03-2016 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sony are currently on stage at GDC 2016 and have confirmed PSVR for release in October this year. Cost is €399/$399/£349

PSVR Owner Opinion ONLY. Whaddya think? Live up to your expectations? 243 votes

Yes. Happy I bought it. Living up to my expectations
    14% 35 votes
    Yes...ish. Happy I bought but not sure if it's gonna work out
    57% 139 votes
    No...ish. Needs a LOT of work. Should have waited a year
    18% 46 votes
    No. Does not live up to expectations. Gimmick
    9% 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Tempting at that price but add an extra €100 for camera and move controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Tempting at that price but add an extra €100 for camera and move controllers.

I'd say you'd pick them up cheap on adverts. The camera is what, €50 new?

They say it'll work with the dualshock 4 as well

Cinematic mode sounds great actually. I wonder how long you can play before you need to rest your eyes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some nice specs on the piece of kit, really impressed with the OLED screens, much nicer than manky LCD. Still though I'd have concerns over the PS4 being powerful enough to maintain a decent framerate required not to give everyone motion sickness. I'd also be concerned that in the history of gaming no console add on has been successful and this could end up as another Mega CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Some nice specs on the piece of kit, really impressed with the OLED screens, much nicer than manky LCD. Still though I'd have concerns over the PS4 being powerful enough to maintain a decent framerate required not to give everyone motion sickness. I'd also be concerned that in the history of gaming no console add on has been successful and this could end up as another Mega CD.

Kinect was pretty much a load of bollocks, but the hardware for the first was a definite commercial success. Going on history I'm extremely wary of Sonys commitment in the long term and their overall ability to simply financially support it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

DyLj9az.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,713 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd wait before buying. Let the beta testers go first. :)

But seriously though, was just thinking of picking up a move and navigation controllers to play Okami anyway. Both of those controllers work on PS4, don't they? Assuming you have the camera. Figure get them now in case VR drives up the price.

Side note: Since was looking at move on cex and there are none in my local, anyone know if I can just order one in my local from another store? I know the UK allows it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Side note: Since was looking at move on cex and there are none in my local, anyone know if I can just order one in my local from another store? I know the UK allows it
    According to their website, yes:
    The goods I want are not in my local store, can they be transferred to my local store?
    Generally yes. Requests are processed by your local store, so you will need to pay them a visit and request a ‘store request transfer’. Transfers are not guaranteed, but we will do our best to source your item.
    https://ie.webuy.com/support/storehelp.php

It's kind of hard for me to get excited about any kind of VR tech when I have to wear prescription glasses just to see. Even going to a 3D film at the cinema I have to wear the 3D glasses over my prescription pair. Not many (if any) of these wearable tech seem capable of accommodating for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Hold on, thats amazing. Im more excited for the cinematic mode, I can play ps4 without having to cram a telly into my tiny box bedroom? And afterwards I can lie down in bed and watch movies? Sign me up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,196 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Class 399 not insanely priced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,482 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i have a move controller (ps3 one) and a playstation camera will i be able to use them with this.

I have a vr shinecon headset and use it with my HTC one m9 and i love it but heating/battery issues with the phone make it hard to use for long.

what will the difference between vr headsets like mine and the Playstation vr ???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Class 399 not insanely priced

That's the worrying thing though. I'm not sure the ps4 has the power to pull it off, still it's sony so i'd expect them to know what their doing before they release it.
    It's priced well under the Oculus and the Vive.
    I've a Vive pre ordered and this has made me think twice about it as it's half the price, would love to see a head to head comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It's amazing what a different perspective does.

If PSVR had announced it's price before Oculus and Vive, people would have said it was insanely priced for very different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Cinematic mode sounds great actually. I wonder how long you can play before you need to rest your eyes?

Samsung have a warning that you should take a 15-30 minute break after every half hour, VR is going to be tricky as quite a few people, myself included might never be able to use its current incarnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Most games will be made specifically for it so should run well.
    Don't expect much VR compatible Triple A titles.

I don't see it as a console add-on tbh, its a peripheral.
    I'm impressed that we won't need to buy a more powerful PS4 to run it.

I think Playstation will be in the lead as the mainstream VR experience, a bit like the Gameboy was the most successful handheld, the PC experience will be like the Game Gear, except with more content.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,713 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And just so I'm clear, it can be used like a normal tv as well? So like I could play Uncharted and it would just be like playing on a really big tv

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Already have the camera and one move controller. So would just need to pick up a second one I guess, and I would be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And just so I'm clear, it can be used like a normal tv as well? So like I could play Uncharted and it would just be like playing on a really big tv

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Is this a straight €400 for the headset without any tax/shipping bullsh1t like the Vive and Rift have?

nocoverart wrote: »
    Is this a straight €400 for the headset without any tax/shipping bullsh1t like the Vive and Rift have?

No because you need to buy the Playstation 4 Camera separately which costs €50 to use it.

As for the price, it should be the retail price alright, I cant see Sony leaving out taxes.

Funnily enough gamestop.ie show it as available to pre order right now on this banner for €400:

dd6d5fc8-6fda-42b0-bc65-fdda86df2b5e.jpg

But when you click the banner the price is €450:

https://www.gamestop.ie/PlayStation%204/Games/46341/playstation-vr

Stupid cúnts! :p

• Advertisement

The official ad is a bit cringe, I like how they made it transparent so you can see their faces though, and delighted Ace Combat 7 will be in VR:

MOAR HYPE! All the following games will be free btw, dat luge game tho'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Two things:

1: Has the PS4 got the power for this in useful applications, I don't think so.

2: This VR needs a killer app to sell it. Not buying a €400 head set for tech demos.

I'll wait for a console that can run all games at 60fps and 1080p at all times before I get excited about proper VR for it. No console can do it right now.

Ideally you need a machine that can do 120fps at 720p minimum fir VR to really work and look well.

For the other VR head sets you will need a decent to top end PC for it to work.

Two things:

1: Has the PS4 got the power for this in useful applications, I don't think so.

2: This VR needs a killer app to sell it. Not buying a €400 head set for tech demos.

I'll wait for a console that can run all games at 60fps and 1080p at all times before I get excited about proper VR for it. No console can do it right now.

Ideally you need a machine that can do 120fps at 720p minimum fir VR to really work and look well.

For the other VR head sets you will need a decent to top end PC for it to work.

Pound for pound it should perform better than Oculus because Sony control every part of the solution. The breakout box seems to take some of the processing off the PS4 hands which will help.
    You certainly wont get Uncharted 4 level graphics working with PSVR but that does not mean compelling AAA games cannot be developed for the platform.

Pound for pound it should perform better than Oculus because Sony control every part of the solution. The breakout box seems to take some of the processing off the PS4 hands which will help.
    You certainly wont get Uncharted 4 level graphics working with PSVR but that does not mean compelling AAA games cannot be developed for the platform.

The breakout box doesn't do any processing whatsoever. It's simply there to convert the signal back into something your tv can handle. Decent PS3 level graphics is probably the most you can expect. I'd imagine most of the stuff will be hyper stylised as to compensate for the ps4s comparatively meagre specs.

The breakout box doesn't do any processing whatsoever. It's simply there to convert the signal back into something your tv can handle. Decent PS3 level graphics is probably the most you can expect. I'd imagine most of the stuff will be hyper stylised as to compensate for the ps4s comparatively meagre specs.

Sony call the breakout box a "Processor Unit" which hints that it will do a job or two.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/15/11241122/playstation-vr-hardware-headset-virtual-reality-gdc-2016

Sony call the breakout box a "Processor Unit" which hints that it will do a job or two.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/15/11241122/playstation-vr-hardware-headset-virtual-reality-gdc-2016

Sony have come out and clarified what it actually does that being signal for tv and alright processing for the 3Daudio. As the name suggested it's just a breakout box it isn't going to give any further graphical fidelity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Sony have also announced that they don't intend to try and say that Playstation VR is the best VR solution, but as pointed out, they control the entire ecosystem for this VR setup and should be able to take advantage of that over Occulus/Vive needing to ensure they are generically compatible with various PC systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

any idea when smyths will be taking pre orders, have no intention of giving gamestop my money

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Around 460-480 euro in Amazon, which makes that GameStop 399 look a bit vague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I9WWBCQ?keywords=psvr&qid=1458125859&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I just bought it there, although no idea if where i am in the Q, they said pre-orders start at 11am but i ordered at 10.50am.

From reading comments on reddit from guys who've tried it recently they say its a really immersive experience and I've only heard positive feedback with a limited range of games to try, that's impressive.

Sony have delayed it til October to make sure there there is a large catalog of games, 40+ from indie up to big game devs.

It requires a camera, which are available for ~€40, and the move controllers are optional, but imagine they come in handy for shooters etc.

Not as strong as oculus etc, but thats coming in at €600+ and you need a high spec PC to run it, so lets say total cost €1500+ if you dont already own a high end PC

You can use cinematic mode to watch movies/normal PS4 games, in essence giving you an cinema sized screen to play everything on.

Anyway it's a day 1 buy for me...

Advertisement