Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you miss that used to be in Sligo?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

The pick n' mix in Penny's, free sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Slideways wrote: »
    ....There used to be a computer shop in Ballymote, forget what it was called. Was years before its time

The one just down road from McDonaghs or one across from Kanes supermarket or the one upstairs in Perry's DIY?

Yeah it closed about 5 years ago. I think it would have done a lot better if it was on ground floor level and it was too big, always looked empty. Good Thai food though, much better than the attempt at Thai food some of Chinese restaurants in Town are serving up. It wasn't made up to be a flashy restaurant, but that was fine, it is the food that I miss.

Wasnt the chef on a episode of the Irish Dragons Den (in the good times) with some sauces in a jar, and got backing from one of the investors on the show?

Anyone remember Exchange & Mart , (where the inner relief road is now) and off one the streets on the road leading to Finnisklin - I think Ronnie Gallanders run it, I miss it a great little lock-up with all second-hand bits and pieces and furniture - everything priced up reasonable as well. bought some sofa's and washing machine and other bits an bobs off him and you could leave stuff in and he would sell it for you. - Be good to have something back like that place in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

The one just down road from McDonaghs or one across from Kanes supermarket or the one upstairs in Perry's DIY?

I'm sure it was across the road from Kanes. Think the owner used to have a hand painted Ford Orion if my memory serves me rightly

• Advertisement

Slideways wrote:
    I'm sure it was across the road from Kanes. Think the owner used to have a hand painted Ford Orion if my memory serves me rightly

Ah yeah top bloke, good little shop that. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Wasnt the chef on a episode of the Irish Dragons Den (in the good times) with some sauces in a jar, and got backing from one of the investors on the show?

That was actually the Indian buffet that went in there after the Thai.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

frag420 wrote: »
    The Clarence before it went up its own a$$!
    Its was at its best when its was a small sh!tbox out the back of the hotel!

McGarrigles back in the 90's/early 2000's!!

Yaaaaaasssss!!! All of the above. Loved Thursday nights in the old Clarence.

The Garavogue in its original incarnation, none of this flat screen TV/pull your own pint/Dj Scruffy Duffy/hen party nonsense that goes on now. The PROPER horseshoe bar, funk up first Saturday of the month, Strictly Handbag on a Friday, open Mic on a Monday, Sabotage on a Thursday. Had some of the best nights of my life in there.

Going to see Indigo Fury in McGarrigles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

Petronella in McHugh back when people still referred to it as Gullivers.

Was back in Sligo over the summer and saw tabby play on a Sunday night with a gang in McGarrigles and he can still belt them out and make the guitar talk to him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Ahh The Stables, great wee spot, total deathtrap but twas lively. I remember Hayleys Restaurant in O Connell Steeet had decent burgers at the time too. Truffles on the Mall, tasty pizzas before anyone had them in Sligo. Plenty more places I can't think of at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

What was the restaurant called on O'Connell street called? Where the Liber bookshop is now? Used to do great dinners in there and was great craic as a kid. Was it The Ritz or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

That was the Ritz surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

I can't post the link but there's a great article about The Ritz and Liber Bookshop on The Independent website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Lovely memories reading all these places.
    Pity theres no photos.
    I feel old.

I can't post the link but there's a great article about The Ritz and Liber Bookshop on The Independent website.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/liber-bookshop-has-been-in-the-family-for-82-years-27589067.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Anyone mention the airport? Handy if flying on elsewhere from Dublin.

there used to be a lovely little cafe in the building (on the ground floor) where Northwest Radio Studios were up at the market yard (they were upstairs) and then some small business/ art workshops were there as well in the same premises. The cafe done a lovely egg salad mayonnaise

That was Joe Feeneys coffee shop in the old fire station.

red sean wrote: »
    That was Joe Feeneys coffee shop in the old fire station.

was that the old fire station that NWR building?

Yeah.

• Advertisement

red sean wrote: »
    Yeah.

oh cool

can you still even get egg salad mayonnaise in any of the cafes in sligo? - havent had one for years

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Bit out of town but Barry's of Grange is badly missed. There were some great bands there over the years. There's not a large enough population in the village to sustain it.

there used to be Willies restaurant in Grange, that was another good eating place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

A ham sandwich and mug of hot tea in Parke's Castle for an empty stomach. Do they still do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

Tobergal lane restaurant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Shopwell on O'Connell street.....

& Alfie Bree's

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Anyone mention the airport? Handy if flying on elsewhere from Dublin.

The airport is still there but sadly only for private flights and the coast guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

littlejp wrote: »
    The airport is still there but sadly only for private flights and the coast guard.
    And Mary Harney.

• Advertisement

Crazy to think these days because every restaurant and fast food place is smoke free due to law, but back in the day when McDonald's and Burger King graced O'Connell Street in sligo, McDonald's had some plaques inside exclaiming proudly 'this is a family non-smoking restaurant' so if you wanted a smoke with your burger and fries you would have to cross the road to Burger king where they had 'smoking areas' .... You know, a group of tables mainly resided by smoking loud school going kids puffing away, swearing and flicking fag ash lol :-)

Advertisement