Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What do you miss that used to be in Sligo?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    A tolled tunnel or bridge. Unfortunately not enough traffic numbers for such a project though.

The local authority chose the mid town route, supported by CoC, Champion, etc ,there was an option to build a western bypass, this unfortunately was not taken up at time. Money was not the problem, nor were there engineering difficulties, just the usual local stupidity when it comes to these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

The local authority chose the mid town route, supported by CoC, Champion, etc ,there was an option to build a western bypass, this unfortunately was not taken up at time. Money was not the problem, nor were there engineering difficulties, just the usual local stupidity when it comes to these things.

Nope.

Suitable alternative plans were submitted, such as to bring the road through larkhill road from carraroe and on down towards the quay, but guess what? certain people on the council live in that area and lo and behold these plans were rejected, because they didn't want it near them.

This town is and always has been about vested interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Nope.

Suitable alternative plans were submitted, such as to bring the road through larkhill road from carraroe and on down towards the quay, but guess what? certain people on the council live in that area and lo and behold these plans were rejected, because they didn't want it near them.

This town is and always has been about vested interests.

The proposed western route didn't go near Larkhill, it went between the First and Second Sea Roads, an area that was completely undeveloped at the time. A friend of mine was a QS on the Collooney to Carraroe section and he told me that Western Bypass option meant that just 2 residences would be CPO'ed. He also said that the Civil's on the job could not contain their hilarity when they seen the plans for the Mid Town Route, as it went against all known engineering practice. The CoC where the main force behind the decision to go through town, most CoC's around the country were opposed to bypasses originally, but only the local mob here succeeded in stopping one and in their wisdom gave us a road that has all the disadvantages of a bypass and none of the advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

The proposed western route didn't go near Larkhill, it went between the First and Second Sea Roads, an area that was completely undeveloped at the time. A friend of mine was a QS on the Collooney to Carraroe section and he told me that Western Bypass option meant that just 2 residences would be CPO'ed. He also said that the Civil's on the job could not contain their hilarity when they seen the plans for the Mid Town Route, as it went against all known engineering practice. The CoC where the main force behind the decision to go through town, most CoC's around the country were opposed to bypasses originally, but only the local mob here succeeded in stopping one and in their wisdom gave us a road that has all the disadvantages of a bypass and none of the advantages.

They didn't want to be living near the road, that's why it went ahead where it did afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Bump. The flight subventions were stopped by Noel Dempsey. Varadker just confirmed the findings of a report and was in power when it happened but it was a case of him not reversing the decision, not initiating it.
    Fianna Fáil stopped the subventions for all regional airports except Donegal and Kerry. It was the run up to the election and Mary Coughlin's seat looked shaky and they thought if they came close to getting power, they would need the Healy Raes.
    I think the state paid €80 per passenger. More than most people were paying for the ticket. Unsustainable really. Even though Sligo were busy compared to Donegal at the time.
    Upgrading the road or a faster train would be more useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 History buff

Subway..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Permission to post random stuff here just to get us to a new page? On the laptop this thread opens on Zorro's post above...

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Subway..

I miss it 😢😢😢😢😢😢

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Where on earth did Rosses Point beach go to?

Used to spend many happy Summer childhood days there, particularly on the second beach. I went back there for the first time in about 5 years last week. No sand whatsoever on the first beach - just pebbles/stones (presumably deposited there by the CC?)

As for the second beach? Granted it was high tide but the entire dune system has been destroyed. Surely the golf course is in danger of falling into the sea soon!

Very sad to see the demise of such a beautiful amenity. Having said that, we still went in for a swim and the (freezing cold ) water was quite invigorating!

Advertisement