Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What do you miss that used to be in Sligo?

• 20-02-2016 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

what thing(s) do you miss that once was in Sligo?
    It could be a place like a special pub or restaurant or shop(s) that used to be open in sligo - it could go back years and years, or even something as recent thats gone within the last 5 years.
    How about the outdoor swimming pool that used to be down by the Bundoran road?, or the Bowling alley down by the quays? - It could be Wood's hardware store on Castle Street - it could be anything anywhere in Sligo, not just the town centre.

And if there is anything that has closed down and you would love to see its return why not let everyone know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

McDonalds. At least we had a toilet to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    McDonalds. At least we had a toilet to go to.

Could get a burger for 99c on the eurosaver menu - where else now in the town centre can you get a beefburger for 99c? (go on are ye gonna say 4 lights?) :D

did anyone on here go to that indoor bowling place that used to be down by the quays? - what was it like and does anyone know why it shut. It would be great to have a bowling alley back in sligo again

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Newsflash Andy, for 99c it ain't beef!

Newsflash Andy, for 99c it ain't beef!

Could be bleeding horse for all I care , its cheap bit of food to keep you going whilst shopping :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Could get a burger for 99c on the eurosaver menu - where else now in the town centre can you get a beefburger for 99c? (go on are ye gonna say 4 lights?) :D

Not a clue, not bought from an Irish McDonalds in over 15 years. Dont mind paying the €1 something in the 4 Lights though.

:D

Probably really not long enough in Sligo to really miss places, so gonna say European Nights at The Showgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭T-Bird

The laser light shining into the sky from the Adelaide night club. The club itself was from memory a very rough place. But the laser signified that it was the weekend and there were people in town having a good time and it was time to join them...

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Could be bleeding horse for all I care , its cheap bit of food to keep you going whilst shopping :-D

..... and therein lies part of the problem.

I tell you what places I miss from up at the Cararoe Retail Park (dublin road) - that 2 seasons place, that was pretty good for some things garden-wise and storage boxes. and INSTORE ... I liked to frequent their little cafe at the front of the store, very reasonable for a big choc chip cookie or pastry and a cappuccino.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Source restaurant. The only foodie restaurant in the town with a bit of creativity and an ever changing menu.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Source restaurant. The only foodie restaurant in the town with a bit of creativity and an ever changing menu.

yes that was a great place - looks so dead up that way now, imagine its still empty after all this time. - be a nice little M&S up there now

There was a good little Cafe next to the Adelaide pub at one time - always busy and bustling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

yes that was a great place - looks so dead up that way now, imagine its still empty after all this time. - be a nice little M&S up there now

It would be nice of course and M&S is great, but Source tried to support local. Lissadell oysters, Coopers Hill Venison, local beef, lamb, veg, locally caught fish. I'd rather support the locals in an area.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It would be nice of course and M&S is great, but Source tried to support local. Lissadell oysters, Coopers Hill Venison, local beef, lamb, veg, locally caught fish. I'd rather support the locals in an area.

indeed

imagine once O'connell street had a McDonalds Restaurant and a Burger King right opposite each other at one time....

I even used to like popping into the ESB shop in Castle street, imagine you could get electrical stuff and just put it on your electric bill without filling out any lengthy forms or being approved. and I liked popping in to telecom earieann / Eircom shop in Wine street car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Straightback. Legend.

Kettleson wrote: »
    Straightback. Legend.

haha - i bet he is directing traffic in heaven now as well :)

I liked O'Connell street better when it was pedestrianised. I liked the old system where you could drive up the mall, I liked the PJ Colemans electrical shop. and Compustore on Rockwood Parade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

No doubt Andy. There was a right good mix of characters then. I had just moved to Sligo and Straightback stopped my car just outside the Southern at the end of Wolfe Tone Street. I thought he was a Garda. He looked the part. But I didn't see any reason why he had stopped the car. I thought maybe a funeral was on the way. But nothing..and then he waved me on. And I thanked him for what I knew not

When I found out what he was at I thought it was superb that he was tolerated by all doing what he did. A character for sure. I wonder could that be done now? Even though it's not that long ago. I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

imagine once O'connell street had a McDonalds Restaurant and a Burger King right opposite each other at one time....

No they didn't. Burger King was where Easons is, and McDonalds was up at the top where Tohers is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭T-Bird

No they didn't. Burger King was where Easons is, and McDonalds was up at the top where Tohers is now.

Wasn't md in permanent tsb?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Jolly Rogers, although I'm not a child anymore so probably wouldn't be as much craic now. None of the current options (Funny Bones etc.) are as good as JR was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

thebuzz wrote: »
    Jolly Rogers, although I'm not a child anymore so probably wouldn't be as much craic now. None of the current options (Funny Bones etc.) are as good as JR was.

COCA COLA SLIDE!!!!!!

Casual Corner arcade.

The long steps up to the Gaiety cinema, used to add to the excitement waiting in the rain for someone to come down and open the gates to start the massive surge up in case you didn;t get a ticket.

The mine at the top of O'Connell st.

Naw, McDonalds was never where tohers is.....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,744 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Naw, McDonalds was never where tohers is.....
    It was next door where Permanent TSB is now..

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

The old Molly's.....or their chips to be precise

there used to be a lovely big 'World of Wonder' toy store down by the quays at one time ....

Abrakebabra - if you wanted a big decent dirty kebab! :D

• Advertisement

the original Gulivers restaurant in Castle Street - and the cafe upstairs where popadoms restaurant is in o'connell street

Advertisement