Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What do you miss that used to be in Sligo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

littlejp wrote: »
    The airport is still there but sadly only for private flights and the coast guard.

Well its hopefully the Sligo/Dublin flight that most people miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Mint Sauce wrote: »

will the new government / government coalition give us the service back I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

sligojoek wrote: »
    Bit out of town but Barry's of Grange is badly missed. There were some great bands there over the years. There's not a large enough population in the village to sustain it.

Great music, terrible pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

will the new government / government coalition give us the service back I wonder?
    It ceased because it wasn't viable. The Govt. didn't close the route.
    Several operators tried it and all pulled out because of lack of passengers.

red sean wrote:
    It ceased because it wasn't viable. The Govt. didn't close the route. Several operators tried it and all pulled out because of lack of passengers.

Oh right thanks, I didn't know that. I always used to hear how popular it was especially getting you up to Dublin a lot quicker than the train/bus

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    This 30 seconds of balance has been brought to you by Liveline

thank you joe duffy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Sorry. That was meant for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

Red sean... the government did close it not the airlines... the state were givibg the airlines financial support to keep the airline ..aer arann there.. Varadker Made the call that the road and rail network to dublin had greatly improved... there was a time we only had 2 trains a day going to Dublin..and on the road when you got to the covert you stopped .. thinking you were half way to dub...roads rail improved.. plug pulled on the airprort. I used it a lot and it was really handy... miss it..

yeah thats it, government was bailing out the sligo airport wasnt they? - bloody vradaker, course the roads still arent up to standard. Bad roads until you get past castlebaldwin from sligo - 3hour train journey 3 and half to 4 hrs on bus - course the plane journey should still be in place. After all we are not fortunate to have the proper motorway network with plenty of lanes, no traffic lights or roundabouts they have in the UK and other european countries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Slideways

While agree the road is poor between Colloney and C'baldwin it's good the rest of the way. I can go from Ballynote to Dublin airport in a smudge over 2hrs.

Subsiding an airline for such a flight is foolishness and its financially reckless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

I remember waiting to board a flight to Dublin and a lady ran up to the desk to check in 20 min before due takeoff. She told the man at the desk that she was a nervous flyer and asked if she had time to get a drink at the bar. The man told her sure and that he would get word to the pilot that there would be one late passenger to board. We weren't delayed all that much but it just shows how small the airport really was. That was only back in 2006.

My understanding was that the government didn't close the airport, but the airport closed to commercial flights as a result of the of the removal of government funding/subsidy of the Airline.

Its a real shame its gone, as was not just used by holiday makers flying in/out of Dublin, but by business men, commuters, etc.

Thought the weekly flight to Manchester was also a great idea. Could also imagine the benifits of a weekly flight to say Glasgow for Rangers or Celtic fans, or a weekly flight to other parts of the country/island to say Waterford/Cork/Belfast.

Wonder if AL Regional or Stobbard would ever look at it again.

I remember waiting to board a flight to Dublin and a lady ran up to the desk to check in 20 min before due takeoff. She told the man at the desk that she was a nervous flyer and asked if she had time to get a drink at the bar. The man told her sure and that he would get word to the pilot that there would be one late passenger to board. We weren't delayed all that much but it just shows how small the airport really was. That was only back in 2006.

I've heard that story before, would question its truth when Airlines have to fight for landing slots at an International Airport like Dublin, and when most passengers would have a onward flight to make else where.

Slideways wrote: »
    While agree the road is poor between Colloney and C'baldwin it's good the rest of the way. I can go from Ballynote to Dublin airport in a smudge over 2hrs.

Subsiding an airline for such a flight is foolishness and its financially reckless

you imagine how fast you would get up there if there was a Motorway the calibre of the M1 in the UK London to Leeds it runs and I think its about 190miles in total - straight road, at least 3 lanes, no roundabouts, no traffic lights, no bottlenecks, max 80mph - I know your never gonna get that in Ireland but near it should have been achievable (2 lanes , no roundabouts , no traffc lights, no pedestrians, no tractors or slow moving vehicles, no bikes, long straight roads with no bends) 120km/h top speed and 129miles of straight road - and even if it just got to the M4 (then the M4 carries to Dublin) - its all pie in the sky, would cost too much , most probably greeted with the old adage 'Ireland hasnt got the population to make it viable) - but it sure would make it excellent for getting to and from Dublin in a much faster time - excellant for logistics, business people, people having to travel to hospital in Dublin or airport or ferry.

you imagine how fast you would get up there if there was a Motorway the calibre of the M1 in the UK London to Leeds it runs and I think its about 190miles in total - straight road, at least 3 lanes, no roundabouts, no traffic lights, no bottlenecks, max 80mph - I know your never gonna get that in Ireland but near it should have been achievable (2 lanes , no roundabouts , no traffc lights, no pedestrians, no tractors or slow moving vehicles, no bikes, long straight roads with no bends) 120km/h top speed and 129miles of straight road - and even if it just got to the M4 (then the M4 carries to Dublin) - its all pie in the sky, would cost too much , most probably greeted with the old adage 'Ireland hasnt got the population to make it viable) - but it sure would make it excellent for getting to and from Dublin in a much faster time - excellant for logistics, business people, people having to travel to hospital in Dublin or airport or ferry.

Even if the N4 improvements from Colloney to Castlebaldwin was built as a HQDC, joined up to the existing HQDC from Sligo Town, and not as the planned 2+2 DC. That would be fantastic, Sligo to Castlebaldwin would then be easily reclassified as Motorway. 120kph with no breaks.

Even if the N4 improvements from Colloney to Castlebaldwin was built as a HQDC, joined up to the existing HQDC from Sligo Town, and not as the planned 2+2 DC. That would be fantastic, Sligo to Castlebaldwin would then be easily reclassified as Motorway. 120kph with no breaks.

Even with a HQDC /motorway, would still only be 100km/h max speed down here and bendy! - cut through a lot of farmers fields and land I say and put a dirty great big Motorway (and I mean a proper motorway, not just a dual carriageway and call it a motorway!) running all the way to the M4 with slip roads at Sligo then that would be good :D

Even with a HQDC /motorway, would still only be 100km/h max speed down here and bendy! - cut through a lot of farmers fields and land I say and put a dirty great big Motorway (and I mean a proper motorway, not just a dual carriageway and call it a motorway!) running all the way to the M4 with slip roads at Sligo then that would be good :D

Well the exsisting HQDC is already built to Motorway standard, bar the signage color, and safe to do 120kph. It is though just slightly to short to have its title upgraded .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Kettleson wrote: »
    Straightback: (Originally posted by Lemon3:)

My wife is from Sligo and she just loved that photo of Straightback. She said that another great character in Sligo was Alousious, (sorry if the spelling is wrong) the guy with all the watches and clocks who used to meet the trains to check that they were on time.

Well the exsisting HQDC is already built to Motorway standard, bar the signage color, and safe to do 120kph. It is though just slightly to short to have its title upgraded .

is that irish motorway standard? - if you allowed to drive a tractor and cycle on it and it has roundabouts and traffic lights it is no way near motorway standards, it is what it is a Dual carriageway! - was on the M1 last november in the UK , now that is what you call a proper motorway! , bar some hold- ups in places because of sheer volume of traffic, when the traffic is moving its bloody fantastic and so easy and quick to get from one place to another.

is that irish motorway standard? - if you allowed to drive a tractor and cycle on it and it has roundabouts and traffic lights it is no way near motorway standards, it is what it is a Dual carriageway! - was on the M1 last november in the UK , now that is what you call a proper motorway! , bar some hold- ups in places because of sheer volume of traffic, when the traffic is moving its bloody fantastic and so easy and quick to get from one place to another.

The N4 from Sligo to Colloney is built to Motorway standard, theres no lights, roundabouts, etc from Summerhill to the Colloney Junction, and there is an alternative route for that whole journey. It is branded as HQDC though meaning that bikes, tractors, learner drivers, etc can use it. Change a few of the road markings, change the signs from green to blue, add the restrictions on who can use it, and its a motorway.

Its just a few KM to short though to be rebranded. My original point, was instead of having the Castlebaldwin extention as 2+2, meaning 2 lanes in either direction, not always a hard shoulder, instead of a verge, hedges, and crash cabling/barriers down the middle, mostly just the cabling/barrier. Build it in the same HQDC style as Summerhill to Colloney, remove the roundabouts at the Colloney and N17 junction, and replace with on/off ramps, and you would have either HQDC or Motherway the whole way from Summerhill to Castlebaldwin.

For it to be full motorway though, there woukd have to be an alternative route for the bikes, tractors, lerner drivers though, otherwise it would be HQDC.

Not sure how we quite got into this debate though, as its what we miss from Sligo, not want we want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

I and thousands of other motorists ever day, miss a decent bypass around Sligo, instead of being forced to go through it's arsehole traffic light system.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

Arkady wrote: »
    I and thousands of other motorists ever day, miss a decent bypass around Sligo, instead of being forced to go through it's arsehole traffic light system.

I would imagine the river would make bypassing Sligo a challenge.

sligoblue wrote: »
    I would imagine the river would make bypassing Sligo a challenge.

A tolled tunnel or bridge. Unfortunately not enough traffic numbers for such a project though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

local-cinema-sligo-town-county-sligo-ireland-EB25JC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Brilliant! Such a memory that triggers in my head. 1988 I think, from the movie posters. I remember going to see the first Batman there. There was a queue down wine street. We were all stuffed in anyway. People sitting on the steps and everything.

Remember the games arcade next door. Spent hours and a small fortune in there playing Golden Axe.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sligozone1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

McDonalds. At least we had a toilet to go to.

Is it gone is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Threads remind me of a story I heard about two old men in a pub in Sligo reminiscing about the good 'ole days.

Old fella 1:
    "I remember the days when you could slowly bi-cycle your way into town and leave the bike leaning agin the wall and go into the pub for a few aul pints"

Old fella 2:
    "And when you went home at closing time the bi-cycle would still be there"

Old Fella 1:
    "Noaaah! It would be gan!".

wow thats excellent photo isnt it, well done for digging it up! - that old cinema looked great, majestic! ... looks like art deco building, wonder if it was? - better looking than the present one there today Can only think the walk up to the steps made going to the cinema even more exciting .... even if it was a bit of a bugger for people in wheelchairs

• Advertisement

• Sligozone1.jpg

Just got sick in my mouth!!

Advertisement