Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you miss that used to be in Sligo?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Yeah it was. On the corner. It was a 4 Lanterns before it was McDonalds

You're wrong I'm afraid Buford. It was next door that that building. A building which was knocked and rebuilt as Tohers, while McDonalds stayed open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

The building on the corner was originally Blackwoods grocery and delicatessan. Blackwoods closed in the late 70's or early 80's .That then became 'Brodericks on the corner' selling giftware etc. Was owned by Brodericks/Irish House which has also been sold recently.
    It was then acquired by the Dutch company who owns Tohers and was demolished and re-built.
    As already pointed out, PTSB is where McDonalds was.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Nelsons.

Old Molly's & old T.D's.

The Leitrim Bar when Hugh ran it.

The army being called out to quell running battles between rival groups of various members of an ethnic group, amidst burning Hi-aces & caravans, up and down Holborn Street while I safely watched from my flat's window up overhead as I polished off a 10-Spot and a 1/2 dozen Harpic.

10-Spots.

Supping pints and Taytos with Humphrey Bogart in Feehily's.

All the Old Man's pubs that used to be scattered 'round Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I haven't been in Sligo for years. I used to spend time there.
    Is it true that Keohanes bookshop is gone? Is Liber still there?
    I believe Cosgroves delicatessen is still in Market Square. Is old Mr Cosgrove still in the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Keohanes closed last year (I think), Liber still open thank heavens,
    Cosgroves unchanged other the old man has been replaced by his son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Keohanes bookshop is gone but Liber is still there.

Old Mr. Cosgrove and his birds are gone some time now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

rizzodun wrote: »
    In short, yes, it's expected in other towns, why not Sligo?

I understand for some people it's not feasible but that's why you make special facilities for those people.

Plenty of people moaning about out of town retail parks, wanting everything in the town centre, at the same time wanting pedestrianised streets free of traffic and town centre parking. Something's got to give.

I have never failed to get a parking space in the Quayside or Connughton road when I've tried, even over the busy Christmas period.

http://www.quayside.ie/facilities/

Rizzodun's on the ball here. I never have a problem parking in or around Sligo. There's even safe parking when I have boards on the roof for little or nothing. I much preferred Sligo when the street with Bianco's was pedestrianised.

I'm from Dublin, like most city dwellers, I'm no stranger to parking the car (or getting public transport) and walking a few kilometres as I shop, have lunch, mooch around etc... That's with kids. The most expensive leases are on Grafton and Henry street in Dublin, both pedestrianised. I'm looking forward to more streets being pedestrianised too. Look at shop street in Galway, Temple Bar in Dublin...

Sligo's a great little town asking to be pedestrianised and kitted out with markets at the weekends.

This obsession with parking, the devotion to driving everywhere is just a local mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Yeah if you want to park in the centre of town Quayside is definitely the place to go. You'll always find a space. Over the Christmas on the busiest days there was a queue for ten mins at most. They only ever have the bottom section closed if the other levels still have empty spaces.

If I was to have any gripe about parking in town it would be that they could make it cheaper but it ain't a big issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 coweyed

The old Clarence nightclub.
    The bomb at the end of O Connoll st, classic meeting spot.
    +1 for missing the bowling alley too. It wasn't that great but was nice to have another option to spend a few hours and a few quid in town outside of a pub/restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

coweyed wrote: »
    The old Clarence nightclub.
    The bomb at the end of O Connoll st, classic meeting spot.
    +1 for missing the bowling alley too. It wasn't that great but was nice to have another option to spend a few hours and a few quid in town outside of a pub/restaurant.

Dont suppose there is any pictures floating around (in the stratosphere) of the interior and the exterior of the bowling alley would there be?

• Advertisement

red sean wrote: »
    The building on the corner was originally Blackwoods grocery and delicatessan. Blackwoods closed in the late 70's or early 80's .That then became 'Brodericks on the corner' selling giftware etc. Was owned by Brodericks/Irish House which has also been sold recently.
    It was then acquired by the Dutch company who owns Tohers and was demolished and re-built.
    As already pointed out, PTSB is where McDonalds was.

There was a MICO dry cleaners in that row of shops as well. So am I right in saying that before McD's was there it was previously 4 lanterns? and did they have the 2 fast-food restaurants at the time in town?

keohan's was a decent enough book shop there in Castle street. Good range and helpful staff.

Mary's pound shop was handy shop, was there for years (original - with the guy with the moustache who used to run it, think he went to go on to manage SMYTHS toy store up at carraroe retail park)

The decorating/diy shop in Castle street was handy shop too - had the Sligo Weekender offices above it.

Sligo House Furnishings - High Street, near market yard , got some great bits of carpet and lino off them as well as a few other bits, and they were reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

There was a MICO dry cleaners in that row of shops as well. So am I right in saying that before McD's was there it was previously 4 lanterns? and did they have the 2 fast-food restaurants at the time in town?

Yeah John street was always there from day 1 afaik and they had the larger restaurant on O Connell street. Also, either where Wards chemists is now or somewhere along there was Hayleys fast food but thats going back to when Woolworths was also further up on O' Connell street I think where Knox is now or maybe where Boots was. The Ballymote was in Tesco arcade and the Bective hotel on Bridge street. Toffs was a set of scaffold propping up one side of the Imperial hotel.
    There was a chipper across from the savoy near where the FCS used to be that if memory serves a burger, chips and a bottle of sport cola or whatever for £1. I'm 41.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Yeah John street was always there from day 1 afaik and they had the larger restaurant on O Connell street. Also, either where Wards chemists is now or somewhere along there was Hayleys fast food but thats going back to when Woolworths was also further up on O' Connell street I think where Knox is now or maybe where Boots was. The Ballymote was in Tesco arcade and the Bective hotel on Bridge street. Toffs was a set of scaffold propping up one side of the Imperial hotel.
    There was a chipper across from the savoy near where the FCS used to be that if memory serves a burger, chips and a bottle of sport cola or whatever for £1. I'm 41.

Think that was called "Moby Dicks"

mewe wrote: »
    If I was to have any gripe about parking in town it would be that they could make it cheaper but it ain't a big issue for me.

I dont know what day it was but one day I parked in quayside and it cost me €6 - i know it was there for quite a few hours, but I am only a shopper! - and I spent money in the Quayside SC shops! - I think if you spend money in the SC and can prove it by showing receipt you should either get parking totally free or 1 or 2 hours free. Thats my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

The Clarence before it went up its own a$$!
    Its was at its best when its was a small sh!tbox out the back of the hotel!

McGarrigles back in the 90's/early 2000's!!

The Stables in Wine street was a great meet up place before clubbing on Saturdays!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

frag420 wrote: »
    The Clarence before it went up its own a$$!
    Its was at its best when its was a small sh!tbox out the back of the hotel!

McGarrigles back in the 90's/early 2000's!!
    Agreed. That was when Fergal Woods had it. Poor chap got alzheimers in his early thirties. Ironic as he was always a great fundraiser for the alzheimers society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Old Mr. Cosgrove and his birds are gone some time now unfortunately.

Is old Mr. Cosgrove hale and hearty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I dont know what day it was but one day I parked in quayside and it cost me €6 - i know it was there for quite a few hours, but I am only a shopper! - and I spent money in the Quayside SC shops! - I think if you spend money in the SC and can prove it by showing receipt you should either get parking totally free or 1 or 2 hours free. Thats my opinion.

Oh yeah I agree they could make parking cheaper. I suppose for me I'd never really be parked there for that kind of length so it wouldn't be an issue. I know they offer 3 euro all day parking Monday to Friday but you've to be there before 11am to avail of it.

Beats doing laps of Wine Street carpark looking for a spot at 1.20 per hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Tom Yum, the Thai restaurant that was in the Quayside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

(cries) I must have moved here after it closed....

Upstairs in the Quayside above where Tiger is. Tasty and reasonable. Closed about 5 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

worlds goodest teecher - Best name ever. I really hope you are a teacher.

I dont remember it - I remember the cafe/restaurant above tiger, cannot remember the name but done cheap all day breakfast

I dont remember it - I remember the cafe/restaurant above tiger, cannot remember the name but done cheap all day breakfast

Yeah it closed about 5 years ago. I think it would have done a lot better if it was on ground floor level and it was too big, always looked empty. Good Thai food though, much better than the attempt at Thai food some of Chinese restaurants in Town are serving up. It wasn't made up to be a flashy restaurant, but that was fine, it is the food that I miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Techless wrote: »
    Think that was called "Moby Dicks"
    100% thanks Techless, used to work part time for my aunt in the Village shopping arcade. Well before its time, and used to frequent Moby Dicks. Main entrance for the village was where the antiques shop across from the Garda station is and there was an alley connecting it to the top of High street.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 aine100

I miss McGarrigles when Fergal had it too. Also the bomb at the top (bottom?) of O'Connell street. We always used to "meet at the bomb" as teenagers while trying our best to look Goth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Slideways

The bomb, I thought for a while I imagined it!

There used to be a computer shop in Ballymote, forget what it was called. Was years before its time

• Advertisement

Another thing that I miss that used to be in Sligo is jobs and a promising future for the town.

Advertisement