Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you miss that used to be in Sligo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The sculpture beside the canon in Strandhill!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The sculpture beside the canon in Strandhill!

oh yeah that eyesore rusty lump of metal - that will really be missed that will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'd like to see a lovely Fountain in its place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Woolworths was brilliant. Caffola was a proper greasy spoon cafe wit amazing food but the toilets were rank! We even had a bowling alley ffs!!!!

Also, I really miss the Savoy, saw Gremlins and Return of the Jedi there. :)

• Advertisement

Carlton Cafe on Castle Street , think the Mace place is there now. But what a fantastic cafe with lovely fry's at a decent price, nothing at all pretentious about it lol :D , run by a certain member of Westlife's mammy!:)

....We even had a bowling alley ffs!!!!

Crazy innit! - you need something like a Bowling Alley again these days in town to take kids when its raining. - wheres other nearest one? - bundoran isnt it?, or i think they have one in Castlebar and carrick-on-shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I've said it before but if I had the money I'd re-open that as a classic cinema. Do themed movie nights like around Halloween and launch of big sequels (like the orginal star wars trilogy when the force awakens came out) even do nights with a live act performing the score during the movie. Prob need to be a millionaire and do it as a hobby though because I'm not sure you could make a living at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Woolworths was brilliant. Caffola was a proper greasy spoon cafe wit amazing food but the toilets were rank! We even had a bowling alley ffs!!!!

Would love a proper greasy spoon in Sligo Town. Margarets is good, but a bit to far out for that Saturday or Sunday morning fix, if even open them days.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

The Troubador pub on High Street when it was owned by Tommy Reagan and his wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Delta7

The Tea House and the Cottage, also old Beezies on O Connell street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

haha - i bet he is directing traffic in heaven now as well :)

Straightback: (Originally posted by Lemon3:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

McDonalds and Burgerking. Consistent grub, you know what you are getting. As someone said, hard to beat €1 for a burger if you have a horde of hungry kids who want a snack.

Also my brother says it was handy to have the electrical shops in Sligo- McDonaghs, Colemans, ESB - to browse in and enjoy a cup of coffee nearby to decide. Now the car has to be used to get to far flung places.

Also miss the Johnston court car park, remember it? Instead of adding more car parking spaces to Sligo they took them away.

maryishere wrote: »

Also miss the Johnston court car park, remember it? Instead of adding more car parking spaces to Sligo they took them away.

Ah here, they took away 20-30 and instead we got a multi story with about 400 in the quayside. There's tons of parking on Connaughton road if the people of Sligo weren't so lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The restaurant in cartron village when it opened first.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Ah here, they took away 20-30 and instead we got a multi story with about 400 in the quayside. There's tons of parking on Connaughton road if the people of Sligo weren't so lazy.

laziness got nothing to do with it, when you have shops you need car parking spaces nearby a shopping centre such as Johnstones court is built... where are the car parking spaces for this shopping centre? - you might say wine street car park, but that is, as I see it, and always has been, the car park for Tesco...

laziness got nothing to do with it, when you have shops you need car parking spaces nearby a shopping centre such as Johnstones court is built... where are the car parking spaces for this shopping centre? - you might say wine street car park but that is as I see it and always has been the car park for Tesco...

You can walk from Connaughton road to Johnstons court in less than ten minutes. From the Quayside it probably takes five. Be blessed you're not in Dublin city centre. Lamenting the loss of 30 car parking spaces when we got 400 in the Quayside is madness if you ask me. If you want more town centre parking then buildings will need to be knocked, then people will be complaining that there's no free units for the types of shops they want. The alternative? Parking down by the Quays perhaps, but if people won't walk from Connuaghton road....

You can walk from Connaughton road to Johnstons court in less than ten minutes. From the Quayside it probably takes five. Be blessed you're not in Dublin city centre. Lamenting the loss of 30 car parking spaces when we got 400 in the Quayside is madness if you ask me. If you want more town centre parking then buildings will need to be knocked, then people will be complaining that there's no free units for the types of shops they want. The alternative? Parking down by the Quays perhaps, but if people won't walk from Connuaghton road....

so what your saying is that its OK for customers of Johnstone court shopping centre are expected to walk all the way up laden with bags to the car park up in Connuaghton road just because (whoever) allowed the shopping centre to go ahead and be built without an adjoining car park for the centre? (bad planning)

Were do you get 400 in the Quayside? - not all Levels are open all of the time, many a time I have been in the QS car park and the levels are shut off (for some reason, I dont know why)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

dingding wrote: »
    The restaurant in cartron village when it opened first.

I don't remember that at all! And I grew up in Cartron ... how long ago was that there?

so what your saying is that its OK for customers of Johnstone court shopping centre are expected to walk all the way up laden with bags to the car park up in Connuaghton road just because (whoever) allowed the shopping centre to go ahead and be built without an adjoining car park for the centre? (bad planning)

Were do you get 400 in the Quayside? - not all Levels are open all of the time, many a time I have been in the QS car park and the levels are shut off (for some reason, I dont know why)

In short, yes, it's expected in other towns, why not Sligo?

I understand for some people it's not feasible but that's why you make special facilities for those people.

Plenty of people moaning about out of town retail parks, wanting everything in the town centre, at the same time wanting pedestrianised streets free of traffic and town centre parking. Something's got to give.

I have never failed to get a parking space in the Quayside or Connughton road when I've tried, even over the busy Christmas period.

http://www.quayside.ie/facilities/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Agree 100% with all you've said there rizzodun. People need to move to big cities like Dublin for a while.
    We all seem to think we have a right to park outside the door of every place we're visiting in town when it suits us.
    In inner Dublin you're lucky to get parked within 15-20 mins walk AND overstay you're parking time and it'll cost you another €80 to get unclamped.
    I think Kenny might have been right about us whinging :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I don't remember that at all! And I grew up in Cartron ... how long ago was that there?

It would have been the late 70's. I think they went on to own platters foods but I am not sure.

It was called Pauls Pantry from what I remember.

dingding wrote: »
    It would have been the late 70's. I think they went on to own platters foods but I am not sure.

Ah I'm only a young'un I guess, wasn't born till '85, that would explain it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

aine.jpg

Aine from Sligozone.

No idea why, but only the other day I was thinking about her and wondering what ever happened to her!

I've said it before but if I had the money I'd re-open that as a classic cinema. Do themed movie nights like around Halloween and launch of big sequels (like the orginal star wars trilogy when the force awakens came out) even do nights with a live act performing the score during the movie. Prob need to be a millionaire and do it as a hobby though because I'm not sure you could make a living at it.

Great idea, would love to see old classic movies in a cinema. You would think that a multi screen cinema such as the Gaiety would have at least one of the screens devoted to old films!

No idea why, but only the other day I was thinking about her and wondering what ever happened to her!

Probably on some of those 900 numbered channels on Sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

The old John Kent Sports Shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

When the happy eater was on oconnell st with the arcade upstairs. Great craic at lunch doing nothing.
    And also when it wasnt such a nightmare to get from JFK parade to get oconnell st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Naw, McDonalds was never where tohers is.....

Yeah it was. On the corner. It was a 4 Lanterns before it was McDonalds

Advertisement