Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

https://www.facebook.com/423177864515641/videos/562881280545298/

Bit of Operation Transformation at Johnstown this morning too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I taught you just had to turn up :(

Hopefully your pupils did their own research. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Some savage numbers in the parkrun statistics this week. Hopefully some of the Operation Transformation crowd keep coming after the initial burst of enthusiasm fades (particularly to the events with fewer regular participants)

http://www.parkrun.ie/results/attendancerecords/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Poppintree for my first one this morning. Obviously a pb. 25:20 by my watch. I didn't forget my barcode because I don't have one. I taught you just had to turn up :(

Well anyone is free to just turn up and run, just you get the most from it by registering and seeing your stats. There is no obligation to register though if people wish to stay anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Skid X wrote: »
    Some savage numbers in the parkrun statistics this week. Hopefully some of the Operation Transformation crowd keep coming after the initial burst of enthusiasm fades (particularly to the events with fewer regular participants)

http://www.parkrun.ie/results/attendancerecords/

There were quite a few down in numbers!
    Was there a plan to start another event close to St Anne's? Huge numbers there always.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Gael23 wrote:
    There were quite a few down in numbers! Was there a plan to start another event close to St Anne's? Huge numbers there always.

Father Collins started back in October, that's very close to St Anne's. I have not been to St Anne's since the Father Collins one started.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Gael23 wrote: »
    There were quite a few down in numbers!
    Was there a plan to start another event close to St Anne's? Huge numbers there always.

Hi Gael
    the attendance record page is a bit sparse on info it just shows the record attendance for a particular event and the attendance for the last week - all parkruns that were on had either a record turnout or were near their record turnout with the exception of Bere Island and Waterstown - Bere Island is an exception due to its location and even waterstown was a little above their current average. There were 7,402 recorded runners ( ie those that had a barcode and those that didnt )for parkrun Ireland this week making it its most successful weekend ever by some margin you can find the stats here on the parkrun wiki
    http://wiki.parkrun.info/index.php/Summary_Statistics/Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

You don't have to register to run, but you do to get a time. Annoyingly we have a guy who keeps winning at Stormont but who isn't registered, so we have an unknown winner in the results from time to time.

We had 171 at Stormont, possibly because others were cancelled due to ice. Vicky park went ahead but didn't time the run due to conditions - 59:59s all round

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

edisonolmy wrote: »
    winning

first finishing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Limerick starting this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Did the Malahide one recently, not because of O/T. Was good, fair play to all the volunteers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

One of my local parkruns is now under threat due to the local parish council seeing a chance to make some money and want to charge parkrunners to run. Obviously parkrun will never be charging people to run, but the parish council still don't seem to get it.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/littlestoke/news/2016/01/22/keep-little-stoke-parkrun-in-little-stoke-park/

Bit of a shame as it was one of the former parish councillors, who has since left the area, who was heavily involved in getting this parkrun setup in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

robinph wrote: »
    One of my local parkruns is now under threat due to the local parish council seeing a chance to make some money and want to charge parkrunners to run. Obviously parkrun will never be charging people to run, but the parish council still don't seem to get it.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/littlestoke/news/2016/01/22/keep-little-stoke-parkrun-in-little-stoke-park/

Bit of a shame as it was one of the former parish councillors, who has since left the area, who was heavily involved in getting this parkrun setup in the first place.

I signed the petition.

I signed it too.... honestly talk about petty bureaucrats , hopefully pressure can be brought to bear on the parish council not to revoke the permission Little Stoke has to hold their event...

I think I remember something about a parkrun in Australia that had to stop after their first event as the local authority suddenly changed their mind. Took about a year for that to get resolved and let them restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Also signed. What a mess. Do they make any allowance for the fact that parks are already funded out of local and general taxation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

also signed, ridiculous and goes against the whole parkrun ethos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Ridiculous, small-minded bean-counters.

Operation Transformation may not be everyone's cup of tea but the threat of a name-and-shame on the national broadcaster would have every councillor running scared if that was to happen in Ireland.

Pity they haven't a broad platform that would get the same type of focus in this case. Who's got Esther Rantzen's number? (showing me age now...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Limerick Parkrun a huge success today, I think. Course much nicer than expected, very well organised and a great turnout. I'm away next weekend so I won't be there but it's definitely going to be a regular for me after that. Great going to the organiser and volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Great morning at limerick today, nice little course and a fine turnout, course slightly over 5k though so a pb will be hard although they did say they're gonna move the startline forward a bit, gonna make this a regular fortnightly thing too when I'm around limerick. Best of luck to everyone involved.

• Advertisement

kookiebrew wrote: »
    Great morning at limerick today, nice little course and a fine turnout, course slightly over 5k though so a pb will be hard although they did say they're gonna move the startline forward a bit, gonna make this a regular fortnightly thing too when I'm around limerick. Best of luck to everyone involved.

Yeah, Strava measured at 5.14km for me. I did 30:10, which I was happy with as a hadn't done anything in two weeks due to illness and it was very consistent splits. I didn't race it, but it wasn't quite an easy run either.

chrislad wrote: »
    Yeah, Strava measured at 5.14km for me. I did 30:10, which I was happy with as a hadn't done anything in two weeks due to illness and it was very consistent splits. I didn't race it, but it wasn't quite an easy run either.

Was a few nice hills there, on the longer loop coming up by the bridge the wind came out of nowhere, came in 8th place and according to my watch I was one second off my 5k pb, was happy with that one, was hard in places to get passed the walkers but that's expected, it was great seeing so many walkers too though fair play to them.

Some great numbers coming in again this wee, St Anne's with another record (486 finishers). Father Collins was only a couple short of its record set on the first week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

New attendance record of 266 for Tymon.

Its great that in North East Dublin between St Anne's, Father Collins & Malahide you now have over 1,000 people doing parkruns.

Was a few nice hills there, on the longer loop coming up by the bridge the wind came out of nowhere, came in 8th place and according to my watch I was one second off my 5k pb, was happy with that one, was hard in places to get passed the walkers but that's expected, it was great seeing so many walkers too though fair play to them.

I would run that trail quite regularly on any run that's 8+ miles so I knew the terrain quite well, so I had no unexpected surprises. Fair play on the result! Great going!

chrislad wrote: »
    I would run that trail quite regularly on any run that's 8+ miles so I knew the terrain quite well, so I had no unexpected surprises. Fair play on the result! Great going!

I've run the bank a lot too, do a 10k loop from Westbury, gillogue, ul, Shannon fields and back quite a few times but have never gone up the side of the boathouse.. actually jogged over and back, was a nice 3.4 mile warm up and 3.4 cool down haha... I'm liking the parkruns, have done two and came first in my age category on both occasions, must not be many 40-45 males running these days :)

Amazing attendance across all parkrun events today with almost all events recording record attendance there were 45 events with 9,028 participants the there is still Rusn Junior parkrun tomorrow morning, amazing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

new record in lees road as well 289.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I did the Limerick park run yesterday and found the track too narrow along by the river, at one stage there were 3 walkers taking up the entire width of the trail, impossible to get past without shouting 'coming through'.
    Also on lap 4 there was a runner on the same stretch drifting left and right along that section, just couldn't get past.
    Agree about the hills, tough going, most park runs I've done have been largely flat. Wonder what the one in clarisford is like?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement