Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hey folks, looking to do my first parkrun tomorrow in Marlay.
    A couple of quick questions:
    1) The barcode do I just cut it out and put it in my pocket?
    2) I will be making my way on foot to Marlay, anywhere to leave a small bag with tracksuit bottoms and top for walk home after?

Thanks

You can keep the barcode in your bag. You don't need to have it on you when you run. You will get a finishing position token at the end. After that just go over to your bag, get your barcode, and present both the barcode and the token to the guys with the scanners at once. This doesn't have to be done immediately after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

And give back the finisher token please !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Really hoping the St Anne's microclimate (rain-free between 9:15 and 10 every Saturday) kicks in for this morning :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Finished my first ever parkrun this morning at Clarisford Killaloe, really enjoyed it and will defo be doing more of them. Thanks to everyone involved, can see why these are so popular now :)

Nice bonus, just got results first in my age bracket woohoo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Ran at Shanganagh again today, good crowd, which included Roisin McGettigan - nice to have someone so inspiring in our midst!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

My poor dog was on a go slow this morning in Knocknacarra - he wanted to walk most of it and sniff every bush we went past.
    It was so filthy out there today we both needed a dip in the river afterwards before getting back in the car.

The course record was smashed by Rory Chesser from Clare, took 91 seconds off it down to 15:53!!!
    Considering all the tight corners, the muddy conditions, and the fact that I heard he fell at one point, that's a really savage time.

My poor dog was on a go slow today in Knocknacarra - he wanted to walk most of it and sniff every bush we went past.
    We both needed a dip in the river afterwards before getting back in the car.

The course record was smashed by Rory Chesser from Clare, took 91 seconds off it down to 15:53!!!
    Considering all the tight corners, the muddy conditions, and the fact that I heard he fell at one point, that's a really savage time.

Gonna try and make knocknacarra next week, can see myself getting addictive to these. That's some time but I bet if your dog was up to it you would have beat him

My poor dog was on a go slow this morning in Knocknacarra - he wanted to walk most of it and sniff every bush we went past.
    It was so filthy out there today we both needed a dip in the river afterwards before getting back in the car.

Wouldn't go that far. He ran 14:10 on the track last July. Regardless of conditions and course, 15:53 would handy enough for him. You'd assume and hope it wasn't an all out effort.

Ran the Marlay one this morning. Was jammered. Around 650 in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

I ran Tymon for the 1st time and 1st run in about 6 weeks, small groups seem grand too, I'm usually in Marley. I came 11th!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Great crowd in Johnstown today, just over 160. Dying to have a parkrun that isn't muddy or puddly :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Wouldn't go that far. He ran 14:10 on the track last July. Regardless of conditions and course, 15:53 would handy enough for him. You'd assume and hope it wasn't an all out effort.

Ran the Marlay one this morning. Was jammered. Around 650 in it.

Knocknacarra is a tricky course. So many twists and turns and ups and downs. V easy to fall on your arse. Also possible that he would have been meeting traffic on narrow sections. Also easy to take a wrong turn.

I had my first, damn will my runner make it out of the mud hole experience while park running, not the end of the world.
    What park is the busiest in the country?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

gsi300024v wrote: »
    I had my first, damn will my runner make it out of the mud hole experience while park running, not the end of the world.
    What park is the busiest in the country?

Usually Marlay, followed by Malahide and St. Anne's. You can find the full results here - http://www.parkrun.ie/results/attendancerecords/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

kookiebrew wrote: »
    Finished my first ever parkrun this morning at Clarisford Killaloe, really enjoyed it and will defo be doing more of them. Thanks to everyone involved, can see why these are so popular now :)

Nice bonus, just got results first in my age bracket woohoo

Well done. I was under the weather today so I couldn't call down. Seems to have been double the normal field, probably due to Operation Transformation. It's a lovely venue, with some great volunteers! Hopefully, I'll be back next week.

chrislad wrote: »
    Well done. I was under the weather today so I couldn't call down. Seems to have been double the normal field, probably due to Operation Transformation. It's a lovely venue, with some great volunteers! Hopefully, I'll be back next week.

They were saying that alright the cameras will be there next week, won't be around myself, only down every other week but will be there in two weeks time for sure. Nice little course alright.

"Right can everybody on the count of 3 shout 'OPERATION TRANSFORMATION'!

"OK, lets do it again".

"And, one last time".

"That's fantastic folks. Now on the count of 3 shout out from the tops of your lungs "WE LOVE PARKRUN".

"I like it, but I think you can do even better. Lets have it again".

"Top stuff, but lets do it just one last time, and lets really make this one count".

All this happening while we just stand there freezing our boll0xes off in 4 degrees celcius!

"OK, lets do it again".

"And, one last time".

"That's fantastic folks. Now on the count of 3 shout out from the tops of your lungs "WE LOVE PARKRUN".

"Top stuff, but lets do it just one last time, and lets really make this one count".

All this happening while we just stand there freezing our boll0xes off in 4 degrees celcius!

I like the enthusiasm but :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I can never understand why Marlay parkrun is so jammed. Is it the markets afterwards?

I went down today to say I ran one with Paul, but otherwise ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . The queues and the congestion are pretty frustrating.

EDIT: I want to add that this is obviously not the fault of the organisers or volunteers. Imagine giving criticism for running a free event too well. Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

"OK, lets do it again".

"And, one last time".

Yeah we had that ****e last week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 stammerjones

Have lust for life joined up with parkrun.Their new logo for their 5km/10km park run would suggest so.If not it seems to to maybe jumping on the parkrun bandwagon and the oul soldier of charging to enter and also give a donation.Seems to be a bit of a fait complit..infiltrate,and take over. Irishrunner mag would wanna watch their backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

the " IRISH INDEPENDENT A LUST FOR LIFE 5K/10K PARK RUN " is in no way involved with or associated with parkrun Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 stammerjones

Amigaman wrote: »
    the " IRISH INDEPENDENT A LUST FOR LIFE 5K/10K PARK RUN " is in no way involved with or associated with parkrun Ireland.
    Bit slimey of them to muddy the waters with their logo quite similar to parkruns.I wouldnt say official parkrun is too happy with these charlatans trying to make a few bob off the all the hard work from parkrun volenteers.

I've only ever before Saturday taken park in the Marley parkrun, I'm waiting to see how I did in Tymon, do some parks just take a bit longer to put the results in than others? I know there were a good few they'd to take the names and numbers down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

gsi300024v wrote: »
    I've only ever before Saturday taken park in the Marley parkrun, I'm waiting to see how I did in Tymon, do some parks just take a bit longer to put the results in than others? I know there were a good few they'd to take the names and numbers down.

Tymon is usually ready around the same time as everywhere else, there was some issue this week

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RayCun wrote: »
    ...there was some issue this week

First week after New Year and everywhere is busy and the parkrun results processing hamsters were knackered.

It was a small field in Tymon, well compared to my usual Marley, so it felt great to come 11th! I'd need a whopper time to ever come 11th in Marley.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Regards Tymon- Ash is having a wee technical difficulty with the stopwatch its not being recognized by the parkrun laptop at the moment , I'm sure she'll be having a chat with the parkrun IT support in the UK today to get it sorted the timing file is still there so no worries about losing the results , it will just take a little longer then usual - when you thing about it 750 events = 750 laptops , you're bound to have some difficulties from time to time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Amigaman wrote: »
    Regards Tymon- Ash is having a wee technical difficulty with the stopwatch its not being recognized by the parkrun laptop at the moment , I'm sure she'll be having a chat with the parkrun IT support in the UK today to get it sorted the timing file is still there so no worries about losing the results , it will just take a little longer then usual - when you thing about it 750 events = 750 laptops , you're bound to have some difficulties from time to time

Similar problem with the stopwatch at one of my local parkruns this weekend and they had to manually create the results apparently as things wouldn't upload from the watch.

it's funny, I did have a watch on so I know it is somewhere between 20 and 25 mins, but I still want my time. Bit of nerd here, love te stats parkrun gives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭opus

We got a pretty impressive Age Grade result in Tramore Valley last Sat! Previous high score was held by Matt from our very first event.

10dgqrc.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement