Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Chivito550 wrote: »
    "Right can everybody on the count of 3 shout 'OPERATION TRANSFORMATION'!

"OK, lets do it again".

"And, one last time".

"That's fantastic folks. Now on the count of 3 shout out from the tops of your lungs "WE LOVE PARKRUN".

"I like it, but I think you can do even better. Lets have it again".

"Top stuff, but lets do it just one last time, and lets really make this one count".

All this happening while we just stand there freezing our boll0xes off in 4 degrees celcius!

Sounds awful, glad I missed it. Sounds like OT hijacking parkrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

I'm not speaking for parkrun but the association with OT would in my mind be mutually beneficial , lots of people who normally wouldn't have heard of parkrun get exposed to it - hopefully they come down to their local one and are drawn into the inclusivity of it and this leads them to exercise more and have healthier happier lives , and it removes the stress on the Final OT event in the Pheonix Park - I see it as a win -win , I'm looking forward to seeing the footage shot at Marlay on Sat. which I believe airs on Wed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah, to be honest OT and Parkrun have very similar goals, to get people out and about consistently in a friendly environment. It might feel like a bit of a hijack, but really its just a natural alignment. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Sounds awful, glad I missed it. Sounds like OT hijacking parkrun.
    Amigaman wrote: »
    I'm not speaking for parkrun but the association with OT would in my mind be mutually beneficial , lots of people who normally wouldn't have heard of parkrun get exposed to it - hopefully they come down to their local one and are drawn into the inclusivity of it and this leads them to exercise more and have healthier happier lives , and it removes the stress on the Final OT event in the Pheonix Park - I see it as a win -win , I'm looking forward to seeing the footage shot at Marlay on Sat. which I believe airs on Wed.

Like Amigaman i think it is mutally beneficial and def exposes people who were not aware of parkrun to it. I go fairly regulary to Lees Rd park run in Ennis and the average turnout is in the 30s. The highest ever was the first one which was in the low/mid 100s. The first parkrun in promotion with OT...250people :eek: the thing is to hope that some of those people continue once OT finishes. We also had the cameras at the parkrun but no footage was shown, so don't hold your breath for it Amigaman.

Just read a great article on the growth and success of parkrun in Belfast written by none other then our own edisonolmy - Kudos to you sir :-) - Check it out
    http://www.irishnews.com/news/2016/01/11/news/from-humble-beginnings-parkrun-now-pulling-in-1-000-a-week-378258/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Limerick Parkrun cancelled this Saturday 16th Jan.
    Reports say the water levels are down but there's work to do to get the course ready.

Nearly there ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Away to Edinburgh this weekend, was planning on doing the Portobello parkrun as it would be closest to where we are staying. But the coldness is putting me off! Plus I'd be nervous about running an unfamiliar course incase I'd slip and bang goes my ankle or something and the weekend ruined...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Away to Edinburgh this weekend, was planning on doing the Portobello parkrun as it would be closest to where we are staying. But the coldness is putting me off! Plus I'd be nervous about running an unfamiliar course incase I'd slip and bang goes my ankle or something and the weekend ruined...

ah go on, layer up, it'll be grand!!! give it a go but just take it easy, it'd be a shame not to visit a PR while your there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Firedance wrote: »
    ah go on, layer up, it'll be grand!!! give it a go but just take it easy, it'd be a shame not to visit a PR while your there.
    Yeah it's not the cold cold as such, it's the icy patches on the roads/paths.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Yeah it's not the cold cold as such, it's the icy patches on the roads/paths.

If it's dangerous then they will likely call the parkrun off, or they may have alternative courses that they use in slippery conditions such as running along a grass trail rather than tarmac.

parkrun tourism is great. Have a look for their Facebook page and follow that for updates as well as the parkrun.org.uk local event news page. Some events I've found prefer updates on the parkrun site, some Facebook, some twitter, some all of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I was in Westport last year with the missus, and planned on doing their parkrun, especially as it's run on the Greenway which winds through the town. It was really cold and icy, and I woke up nice and early in our hotel room, despite having let's say one or two drinks the night before. I was in the bathroom taking my daily inhaler, and next thing I knew I was coming to on the cold marble floor. I had fainted while holding my breath. Don't know if the parkrun was run, but when I went out on the greenway later on, it was absolutely lethal. I fell fairly hard two or three times, and there was even a comedy out-of-control belly slide down one steep section.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I admire parkrun tourists' especially the ones over on stags and hens. I was on a stag down in Kilkenny last year and I looked up the course, looked lovely and right in the town so I took my gear down. I think it was close to 12 by the time I got up and closer to 14:00 before I stopped getting sick. And I was thinking of doing a parkrun at 9:30.

Ever since that trip I have had great admiration for the stag and hen parkrun tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I (and a few of my in-laws) are planning to hit a Parkrun in Melbourne this May, the morning of my sister-in-law's wedding. Only the lads mind, the ladies will all be in the salon from early is what I've been told. Now we definitely won't be at stag/hen levels of hungover but will definitely be running after a few the night before for sure :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ionapaul wrote: »
    I (and a few of my in-laws) are planning to hit a Parkrun in Melbourne this May, the morning of my sister-in-law's wedding. Only the lads mind, the ladies will all be in the salon from early is what I've been told. Now we definitely won't be at stag/hen levels of hungover but will definitely be running after a few the night before for sure :)

Make sure you check what time it starts at as the Aussie ones are early, and not all at the same time across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

ionapaul wrote: »

There's a few in Melbourne, but only one which is pretty central, which is Albert Parkrun in Albert Park. Make sure this is the one you do as it is pretty stunning. The course goes around the lake. Never ran it but very familiar with the area. The athletics stadium is right on the lake. :) 8am start, but it's very well connected with trams.

http://www.parkrun.com.au/albert-melbourne/course/

^ and make sure there are no F1 GP's on around then as well if going to Albert Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

robinph wrote: »
    ^ and make sure there are no F1 GP's on around then as well if going to Albert Park.

Grand Prix is in March so should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Is Marley Park likely to be an ice rink tomorrow? Anyone have any experience doing that course in the cold? Does it ice up quickly?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Is Marley Park likely to be an ice rink tomorrow? Anyone have any experience doing that course in the cold? Does it ice up quickly?

keep an eye on their facebook page, I would imagine run directors across the country will be out early checking their courses in the morning and keeping people up to date as quickly as possible as to course safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

I heard the one in Clonakilty will be updating their Facebook page five minutes before the run is due to start for any potential participants if it's the same crowd who organise the marathon down there.

• Advertisement

I heard the one in Clonakilty will be updating their Facebook page five minutes before the run is due to start for any potential participants if it's the same crowd who organise the marathon down there.
    LOL - its not the same crowd this crowd does it for the love of running , exercise and community health - the other crowd were focused on something else... :-) but seriously it will be a day to do a quick check on social media before setting out every event will be keenly aware that if there needs to be a cancellation that the news gets out as quickly as possible...it promises to be a great day to do a parkrun tomorrow there are over 6,700 new registrations to parkrun Ireland this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

Utdfan20titles & Amigaman...have ye run the marathon in Clonakilty or are ye just jumping on the 'Bash the Clon Crew' bandwagon?? This is a Parkrun thread btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Amigaman wrote: »
    It promises to be a great day to do a parkrun tomorrow there are over 6,700 new registrations to parkrun Ireland this week...

Lets hope that they all comeback in March/April when all this OT hype has died down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

We had 50 Knocknacarra first timers this morning, great overall turnout of 142 up from 105 last week. A lot of unknowns in the results I assume are newbies who hadn't registered or forgot their barcode.

Thanks to the slightly warmer (+3) and damp temperatures the run was able to proceed and we had a little "Its your move" Operation Transformation cheer at the start that's meant to be on the telly on Wednesday. (I just hid down the back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Poppintree for my first one this morning. Obviously a pb. 25:20 by my watch. I didn't forget my barcode because I don't have one. I taught you just had to turn up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

We'd over 80 in Fr Collins, loads of newbies too who didn't know about registering but they know what's and where for future Saturday mornings. Had a rejigged course due to the ice but it all ran smoothly with the help of volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Lovely morning for a parkrun in Shanganagh, cold but rain and wind free. Thanks again to everyone who makes this happen. The volunteers and RD even kicked away a particularly icy puddle patch for us, leaving the home straight free for a parkrun PB :)

A record 157 participants this morning in Cabinteely, fantastic atmosphere with all the first timers, some regulars gave up their own run to marshal & pace. You gotta love the spirit of park run - hopefully all the first timers will stick with it .

Poppintree for my first one this morning. Obviously a pb. 25:20 by my watch. I didn't forget my barcode because I don't have one. I taught you just had to turn up :(

That's fine :) you'll know next time (register at park run.ie) hope you enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

217 in Tymon too, double the usual at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement