Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BeenMadAgain

according to their facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

kookiebrew wrote: »
    I'm living about 35 mins north of Galway so knocknacarra would be my closest. But I'm in Limerick every other week, wouldn't have to travel to get to it, would actually jog to the boathouse in UL and use it as a warm up, about 2 miles along the bank to my parents. Will have to try Galway too though, make it one of my New Years resolutions

If you're 35 mins north of Galway, then Westport or Castlebar might be an option.
    I did Castlebar last weekend, nice course, 2 laps of the lake, first one being a little longer.

Knocknacarra is my home run, handy 1 mile jog down from the house. Might try to get some more tourist runs in this year when I'm away at a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

chrislad wrote: »
    Clarisford is nice. That's the main one I do, when I do it! Course is 4 loops of the park, and normally there's about 40 people. It's a fast enough field too. Normally winner is about 17mins or so. Over 25 mins (in my case) and you're in the bottom half!

Might give it a go this weekend if I'm up early enough Saturday ;)

If you're 35 mins north of Galway, then Westport or Castlebar might be an option.
    I did Castlebar last weekend, nice course, 2 laps of the lake, first one being a little longer.

Knocknacarra is my home run, handy 1 mile jog down from the house. Might try to get some more tourist runs in this year when I'm away at a weekend.

Definitely gonna do a few runs in knocknacarra over the coming months, bit closer to Westport or castleba.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Clarisford is a nice setting. I'm not a fan of 4 lap runs though. Comber up here is 4 laps and it gets messy.

I was run director for the record breaking Stormont event on Jan 1.

Fair play to BeenMadAgain for the double and cycling in between the two. You missed the look on my face when I was told Waterworks had been cancelled and they had all decided to come over to Stormont. It was similar to that famous photo of George W holding the children's book while he was told about 9/11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

My God!!! edisonolmy I just checked the Jan 1st run in Stormont - 500 parkrunners!!!! I can imagine your face when they all showed up... Well done impressive....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I did Tramore in Waterford last weekend. It was a very tough course, made worse by the conditions. the course is mostly cross country terrain, i;d say less than 2k of it is on concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BeenMadAgain

Amigaman wrote: »
    My God!!! edisonolmy I just checked the Jan 1st run in Stormont - 500 parkrunners!!!! I can imagine your face when they all showed up... Well done impressive....

Kinda surprised that Griffeen didn't end up with similar numbers on New Year's Day, with it being the only parkrun on in Dublin. Have the holiday runs not caught on yet, or is it just that New Year's celebrations are way better in Dublin than in Belfast?? ;o)

507 in total, but only 500 in the results. There was no point panicking. I felt sorry for the event director who processed the results later that day, but he still managed to get it done quite quickly.

Someone said to me at training last night "run director was actually the least stressful role on Jan 1". He might be right.

Limerick off again. I might get along to the first one afterall if this keeps happening
    http://www.parkrun.ie/limerick/news/2016/01/05/cancellation-limerick-parkrun-9th-january/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Limerick off again. I might get along to the first one afterall if this keeps happening
    http://www.parkrun.ie/limerick/news/2016/01/05/cancellation-limerick-parkrun-9th-january/

The Shannon south of the Parteen Weir is quite high, and I understand that after today's rain we should start to see a recovery. The area where the run is to take place in UL will be flooded to a significant degree right now, and I'm guessing it'll take another week or so for it to recede to the extent that the course can be travelled. No idea what condition the paths will be in after 3 weeks+ submerged under floodwaters and all that they bring with them.

May well hope for a race on the 16th, but not sure if it'll be 'run-ready' by then. Fingers crossed for a speedy return to normal and clean-up.
    Speaking of clean-up - wonder if the team there will need a hand with any clean-up activities when the river recedes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Are there operation transformation people linking in with the parkruns?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

gsi300024v wrote: »
    I think they're supposed to be! But in Westmeath this Saturday they have the OT leader doing the walk in Mullingar and OT also have a walk in Athlone at 10am from the AIT which clashes with the Parkrun which obviously is on at 9.30!
    But I think from the following weekend (16/01) the OT walk with be in conjunction with the Parkrun, from what I can gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Lees Road and OT Walk this Saturday @ 9:30. We had OT cameras there last week they arrived late :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

They could have the first Parkswim

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

gsi300024v wrote: »
    Hi gsi300024v
    Each parkrun will have an Operation Transformation " Ambassador" on hand at each parkrun from now until the 20th of Feb they will be there to meet greet and support anybody interested in the O.T. fitness program which Karl Henry from O.T. will be providing to O.T. participants via the TV/Website...and those who cannot participate in the O.T. 5k graduation run in the Phoenix park can participate in a local parkrun not too sure if this was mentioned in tonight's show as I missed the second half but expect to see parkrun volunteers in O.T. red tee shirts at events from now till end of Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭CassieManson

OT cameras and the founder of parkrun will be at Marlay Park on Saturday, should be a great day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

OT cameras and the founder of parkrun will be at Marlay Park on Saturday, should be a great day.

There is a new parkrun starting up in Washington DC on Saturday that he's meant to be at also. Unless they have re-started Concorde flying again he ain't going to make both events.

Wonder which one he'll be at?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Haha, that's good banter. Because of my injury, I'll be doing the Parkrun in Marlay tomorrow. Will look out for the cameras!

The man himself says he'll be in Dublin
    https://twitter.com/paulsintonhewit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The man himself says he'll be in Dublin
    https://twitter.com/paulsintonhewit

Cheaper flight to Dublin.

Indeed, why go to DC when you could go to Dublin?

Falcarragh starts tomorrow. Is this our first Gaeltacht parkrun?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sporteamon3

Indeed, why go to DC when you could go to Dublin?

Falcarragh starts tomorrow. Is this our first Gaeltacht parkrun?

Ceist mhaith!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I hope the OT crew arrive on time and dont keep yeah all there too long.

Ok gonna pop my parkrun cherry tomorrow in Clarisford Killaloe, do I need anything else besides the printed barcode (besides the obvious running gear).

Looking forward to it even though my shortest runs lately are 6 miles, just something new and always run alone so the company is gonna be good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

kookiebrew wrote: »
    Ok gonna pop my parkrun cherry tomorrow in Clarisford Killaloe, do I need anything else besides the printed barcode (besides the obvious running gear).

Nothing at all, just the barcode :)

Nothing at all, just the barcode :)

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Hey folks, looking to do my first parkrun tomorrow in Marlay.
    A couple of quick questions:
    1) The barcode do I just cut it out and put it in my pocket?
    2) I will be making my way on foot to Marlay, anywhere to leave a small bag with tracksuit bottoms and top for walk home after?

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

2) I will be making my way on foot to Marlay, anywhere to leave a small bag with tracksuit bottoms and top for walk home after?

Thanks

1 - Yep!

2 - You can probably leave it near the volunteers area. It's not particularly safe area but a top and bottoms would most likely be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Thanks

1. Cut out your barcode- if you can laminate it or stick it in a plastic bag it makes it easier to scan. Otherwise just bring it as it comes.
    2. Parkrun don't accept responsibility for belongings. I sometimes bring an old jacket to leave at the finish area but no valuables.
    3. Good luck and ENJOY!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement