Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

youngrun wrote: »
    Big jump in numbers recently , across a lot of the parkruns is that down to the OT TV series ? Does parkrun popularity affect other races that clash ?

Here's my personal opinion:

Current increase in numbers - a lot of it will be OT, some January resolutions, and I think it'll drop off a lot in the coming weeks. Always does.
    Impact on races - parkrun is only 5k, so it should not impact many races as they'll be different distances.
    Because parkrun is essentially an organised 5k community run each week I so think that it will have 2 impacts - (1) may prompt races to offer good value to attract participants, and (2) may increase numbers at races as people try parkrun and 'catch the running bug'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

We're in discussions with the city council about getting the Tramore Valley parkrun back running again but definitely cancelled for tomorrow :(

I had a look at the OT fun run that was held on the ground of Blarney Castle in February last year and it attracted ~3000 people so guessing that's one of the worries on the councils side. And indeed the masterplan for the park is that it will hold events of up to 5000 people but thing is it can't at the moment.

The local paper has a very Fr Tedesque article on it - Parkrun Cancelled As It's Too Popular

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

dintbo wrote: »
    +1 to Johnstown measuring a little short but it also suggests I run on water on each if the three laps. I'd reckon it's pretty bang on.

Me too. It's annoying because my 5k pb (by 5 secs) is there but my Garmin only measured something like 4.96k (according to the map I ran on water around the lake) so Garmin Connect doesn't recognise it as a pb. I know - it's a first world problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The situation in Cork is unbelievable, how something like that could have arisen on such a huge site defies me.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

There are 920 car parking spaces no more then 100 meters from the entrance to the park that belong to Cork City Council... and their answer is to close down the parkrun because it is too successful in providing a community amenity ....its hard to believe that such petty bureaucratic stupidity is alive and well and living in Cork City Council ...until the people of Cork make their voices heard ..nothing will happen , nothing would please the City Council more then for parkrun to simply vanish ... no parkrun no problem in their shortsighted way of thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 BeenMadAgain

opus wrote: »
    We're in discussions with the city council about getting the Tramore Valley parkrun back running again but definitely cancelled for tomorrow :(

I had a look at the OT fun run that was held on the ground of Blarney Castle in February last year and it attracted ~3000 people so guessing that's one of the worries on the councils side. And indeed the masterplan for the park is that it will hold events of up to 5000 people but thing is it can't at the moment.

The local paper has a very Fr Tedesque article on it - ...

How about:
    1. Temporarily extending the on-site car park.
    2. Limiting the on-site parking to people who are car sharing.
    3. Having a temporary crossing from the park-and-ride across the link road with either temporary traffic lights, a lollipop person or a stop-go sign. A couple of crossings just before the run and a few after should do the trick without too much disruption. Could even start a bit later to allow for people who get turned away from the on-site car park.

Let's just do laps of the City Hall in protest!!

...or maybe a dozen laps in front of the City Hall across Parnell and Clontarf bridges - perhaps with t-shirts printed with something like "Nowhere to run / Shame on Cork" - but probably better to wait to see how the negotiations with the council go first...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

Sligo Parkrun is one today. 158 Runners were there for the celebration!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I ran in the first event at Bois de Boulogne in Paris this weekend. Lovely event and setting, hopefully will be embraced by the local population. A large number of participants seemed to be from the UK but i'm sure it will grow in Paris via word of mouth - there were absolutely loads of people out running while i was there so no doubt there should be potential for large attendances.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Our little parkrun made it onto the ITV Westcountry news this weekend. I managed to avoid the camera, and also they edited out the bit during the piece to camera by the run director where I was running a warmup lap behind her and trying not to fall over in the mud at the same time:

https://www.facebook.com/littlestokeparkrun/videos/757379924395813/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Shame about Little Stoke. I saw someone on another messageboard saying the park is quite small so they can understand why the parish council is concerned.

...according to their Facebook page.

That'll be three parkruns in Co. Donegal, up from zero just a month ago!

Falcarragh started Jan 9th,
    Letterkenny starts Feb 6th,
    Dungloe starts March 5th.

Don't think they'll keep that rate of startups going for the rest of the year though! :P

They might, Donegal is a big county and they love their 5Ks up there - Grand Prix series is hugely popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

edisonolmy wrote: »
    They might, Donegal is a big county and they love their 5Ks up there - Grand Prix series is hugely popular.
    Running in Donegal (in my limited running experience) is so different! There's hills everywhere!! All shapes and sizes. No such thing as a flat course! Makes me realise how spoiled I am in the midlands and how bad I am with hills. Visiting the inlaws this month so will give Letterkenny parkrun a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Running in Donegal (in my limited running experience) is so different! There's hills everywhere!! All shapes and sizes. No such thing as a flat course! Makes me realise how spoiled I am in the midlands and how bad I am with hills. Visiting the inlaws this month so will give Letterkenny parkrun a go.

Hills make you faster!! ;)

There are still some seriously quick 5K courses that make up the Grand Prix series - Burtonport for example.

Good to see nearly every county has at least one parkrun now - over to you Carlow, Wicklow, Roscommon, Leitrim, Offaly, Tipp, and others I can;t recall off the top of my head

There are still some seriously quick 5K courses that make up the Grand Prix series - Burtonport for example.

Good to see nearly every county has at least one parkrun now - over to you Carlow, Wicklow, Roscommon, Leitrim, Offaly, Tipp, and others I can;t recall off the top of my head

I ran in the first event at Bois de Boulogne in Paris this weekend. Lovely event and setting, hopefully will be embraced by the local population. A large number of participants seemed to be from the UK but i'm sure it will grow in Paris via word of mouth - there were absolutely loads of people out running while i was there so no doubt there should be potential for large attendances.

ClashCityRocker - see if you can spot yourself here... - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojvS7o7RsbQ
    I feel a weekend to Paris coming over the summer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Amigaman wrote: »
    ClashCityRocker - see if you can spot yourself here... - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojvS7o7RsbQ

That's me coming in to finish at around 1:19!

You'd go to Paris before coming north?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Amigaman wrote: »

That BdeB parkrun will be packed within a few months - with tourists! It already got an ad on the fb page for our local parkrun here. They'll need to add a few more Paris sites ....

You'd go to Paris before coming north?

Oui :-)

Don't blame you. Tell me if you're ever coming to Stormont

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Finally gonna get out to Tymon this weekend:)

If the knee holds together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Any word on the cork parkrun getting back up and running?

Ireland fans going to the Belgium match on June 18 - Bordeux's parkrun should be underway by then
    https://www.facebook.com/Parkrun-de-Mandavit-775130142602118/?notif_t=page_name_change

Ireland fans going to the Belgium match on June 18 - Bordeux's parkrun should be underway by then
    https://www.facebook.com/Parkrun-de-Mandavit-775130142602118/?notif_t=page_name_change

Cork said on Feb 2 they were yet to hear back from the council about the new health and safety risk assessment so had no idea if they were going to be on or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Cork said on Feb 2 they were yet to hear back from the council about the new health and safety risk assessment so had no idea if they were going to be on or not

Shame, only just moved up to Cork so was looking forward to giving this a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

deisedude wrote: »
    Any word on the cork parkrun getting back up and running?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's cancelled for next Sat also and in fact we've no set date when we'll get permission to restart :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement