Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of Republic of Telly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That Clean Break piss take was good, especially when they recreated the theme song.

The best bit of the show (maybe the only good bit) is when they take the piss out of other TV shows. Especially Irish ones. It's basically a TV Burp rip-off but it works.

The sketches are usually dire and the news section that the Viper does (formerly done by Bernard O'Shea and Al Porter) is usually not that funny either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Well that was the original concept of the show. A satirical piss take of tv, kind of like your man does on Ray D'Arcy, what's his name Arthur.

There is plenty of material to fill a half hour (and more!) Of such material and the common consensus is that that is the most popular bit. Typical RTE, when it's on a winning formula change it, when it's on a losing formula keep it. Sigh.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That voice in the lift in RTE was genius, amazing they got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Loved the way the took the piss out of Ray Darcys Night Show.

I love the Vipers part on the show hes way better than Al Porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

Watched 2 episodes, this show is dead to me, it wasn't remotely funny and I used to love the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

mikeym wrote: »
    Loved the way the took the piss out of Ray Darcys Night Show.

I love the Vipers part on the show hes way better than Al Porter.

A stinking pile of manure left on the table would be better than Al Porter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

How does Jason Byrne get on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

CatFromHue wrote: »

Practice

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

He's Gays's son........not really, but like you, I wonder how he gets away with it.

I braved RoT last night again, I don't know why, Fair City would be funnier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The quality of the show has really dipped the last few episodes. I don't think any of the sketches are working/funny and the only good bit is when McGahern slags off other shows at the start.

Anyway any news on the Bridget and Eamonn TV show? I thought it was meant to be on in the Autumn and with The Hardy Bucks finishing up on Monday that it would fill that slot.

Could also be that turning it into a TV show is just too much and they scrapped the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The quality of the show has really dipped the last few episodes. I don't think any of the sketches are working/funny and the only good bit is when McGahern slags off other shows at the start.

Anyway any news on the Bridget and Eamonn TV show? I thought it was meant to be on in the Autumn and with The Hardy Bucks finishing up on Monday that it would fill that slot.

Could also be that turning it into a TV show is just too much and they scrapped the idea.

Pity. It was the best thing about the old version of the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's coming in the Spring.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Pity. It was the best thing about the old version of the show.

for a 4 min sketch yeah it was good but I dunno how they're going to make it into a 6 episode (they usually tend to be 6) 25 min show.

It's going to be brilliant or terrible I think.

Edit: The Bridget and Eamonn sketch shows how far the show has fallen too in that it used to sketches that were actually funny as opposed to now when the best you can say about them their best is that they're not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah, they have their work cut out for them making it be funny for an entire show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was poor enough this week, that political video piss take was fairly funny though.

Was poor enough this week, last few years that political video piss take was fairly funny though.

That's one of the frustrating things, of the last season or two, as every now and again they show what a good show they might be with a tweak here and there.

Did Bernard O'Shea announce he was leaving the show?

I knew beforehand that Jen wasn't coming back but didn't know BoS wasn't.

reaching epicly low quality levels tonight....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Show is pure poison just like rte in general. The wastage at the station is unreal. How many sports news readers are there. They wouldn't know talent if it hit them in the face. More interested in giving z list idiots shows about drivel than finding real talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the ray darcy situation sums up RTE perfectly....500k for NOTHING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

The redhead female co host is massively annoying. Her voice would go through ya. Extremely unfunny and of course only in Ireland would she be at the forefront of a comedy show

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Could they not find anyone funnier than Joanne McNally?

She's awful

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

price690 wrote: »
    The redhead female co host is massively annoying. Her voice would go through ya. Extremely unfunny and of course only in Ireland would she be at the forefront of a comedy show

She's an absolute dose. This series has been absolutely dire and she's a big part of it. Jennifer Maguire was a comedic genius in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I didn't have a clue this was even having a Xmas special never mind watch it. I've watched bits and pieces of kt this year and never made it to the end of an episode.
    Absolutely terrible programme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Hopefully this is the last season of the show and they won't give Joeann McNally another show but they prob will

• Registered Users Posts: 81,822 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should finish it now and return to a new series of Blizzard Of Odd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blizzard_of_Odd

It seems to have gotten worse as the series went on, the earlier episodes weren't great either but they had their moments like that voice in the lift in RTE and them recreating the music from Clean Break, the only thing I found amusing in the latter episodes was that political candidate video and that was done by an outsider.

• Advertisement

It did start well and there was promise in it's (this season's) first few episodes. I was expecting The TV License Inspectors and more on how Joanne is getting on in RTE as a newbie sketches but they dropped them altogether for some reason.

Advertisement