Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of Republic of Telly

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I enjoyed it anyway and much improved from last season too.

The Vipers bit is still a bit iffy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

beyond embarrassing..and i only seen about 2 minutes of it. thats all i could suffer. how can someone in a senior position watch this and let it go to air?? beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Watched it last nite. Really bad, terrible. Not one bit funny. Out dated now.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

It's not like RTE to take something that's half decent and milk it to death.

Should have been let die long ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I can't be the only one who likes the show, granted last season was crap,..........can I?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 10 Fred Bobo

Ah the twink bit was very very funny ! Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Could they not find anyone funnier than Joanne McNally?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I thought it was great.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Could they not find anyone funnier than Joanne McNally?

I know nothing about her but I think the show works best with a woman on it.

There's potential in the TV Licence Inspectors sketch too, made me laugh last night anyway, and looks like it's going to be a recurring one too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

This show is the pits like the fear etc. Rte are a major shambles when it come's to comedy. In fact rte are just becoming a total shambles. Meeting the macdonaghs, next week we have daniel o donnell bb road trip. Its putrid. Rte would not know comedy if it hit them in the face. Wonderly wagon etc is just geared towards people with zero brains. Anyone finding the republic of telly funny needs to check themselves into some sort of hosipal. How is Jennifer Maguire and that other gob****e in any way funny but given other show. License fee is being wasted on these gob****es.

• Advertisement

jennifer maguire hasn't been in the show in a long time now

Her and Brendan are getting a new one.

Yeah and I'd be worried about that.

Did you watch the show on Monday night tho?

i did any found it painfully bad.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

In fact rte are just becoming a total shambles. Meeting the macdonaghs, next week we have daniel o donnell bb road trip.

Daniel O'Donnells thing is on UTV Ireland, not RTÉ. Is Wonderly Wagon a current TV show?

I agree shows like Meeting the McDonaghs shouldn't be on RTÉ, seems more the sort of thing I'd expect to see on TV3

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 260 ✭✭Jimlh86

I used to enjoy Republic of Tele on a Monday night.. My god it's gone downhill! How that Viper lad gets near a tele is beyond me!! He's painful to listen to!!!

My mistake with Daniel. Wanderly wagon was a previous show by Katherine Lynch that was a pile of dung. Rte can't do comedy and seem to persist with producing crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

the only things that were good about the how were the tv analysis satire sketches. And you are lucky to see 1 or two of them now. All these RTE canteen "stars" and dumb models trying to do comedy is cringe worthy. And the edited laughter by the audience is shockingly annoying. Your man is witty enough character to be honest but all those childish sketch stories make me feel like punching him.

For the life of me I don't know why they don't bring back a panel style show. Otherwise if they zre going to persist with ROT why not dedicate the whole show to tv programme p1ss taking which was the original format and worked. Its Irish tv. There i PLENTY of material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Wanderly wagon was a previous show by Katherine Lynch that was a pile of dung.

Actually it was a pretty beloved kids TV show.

Actually it was a pretty beloved kids TV show.

ye, her programme was Wagons Den. But yeah it was awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    beyond embarrassing..and i only seen about 2 minutes of it. thats all i could suffer. how can someone in a senior position watch this and let it go to air?? beyond belief.

(1) It's dirt cheap to make.
    (2) The viewing figures are decent (unfortunately).
    (3) When it comes to comedy, the folks at Montrose simply haven't moved with the times.

:o:o :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

It's not like RTE to take something that's half decent and milk it to death.

Should have been let die long ago.

It was half-decent in its earliest days, when Neil Delamere was the host.

The downward slope became gradually steeper during Dermot Whelan's tenure, and once he left it became virtual freefall.

How long until it hits the bottom - if there even is one? :o:o:o

it hit bottom last season, but picked up on Monday.

I like the way it has some of the RTE staff making parodies of themselves. I wouldn't call them stars either.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    it hit bottom last season, but picked up on Monday.

I like the way it has some of the RTE staff making parodies of themselves. I wouldn't call them stars either.

I was being sarcastic calling them stars particularly Blathnaid ni Coughdrop. Those sketches are perhaps one of the worst aspects of the show.

Anyway at least Hardy Bucks is back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

i did any found it painfully bad.

Why do you keep watching it?

I'm not being smart - I just wonder why you do. I tend to shy away from programs I hate.
    For the life of me I don't know why they don't bring back a panel style show.

They've had a few attempts in the last few years but none of them were good. Even Barry Murphy (who is brilliant) had a failed one about four years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

AnonoBoy wrote: »

They've had a few attempts in the last few years but none of them were good. Even Barry Murphy (who is brilliant) had a failed one about four years back.

That was really disappointing alright. Kevin Myers didn't help matters, but the whole thing seemed dead on arrival. I was surprised, Barry Murphy is the funniest person working in Irish television today. But that was horrible.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Why do you keep watching it?

I'm not being smart - I just wonder why you do. I tend to shy away from programs I hate.

When you share a house and you need to keep on someones side so as that you get your quota of sport per week you are sometimes forced to endure it on a Monday night post weekend. I honestly have only watched a max of five or six episodes over the last two years and even then i try my best not to watch it but from every part ive seen the only bits that are half funny are the tv programme piss takes which is what the show was originaly about and should have kept that format imo.

I also was so happy that Maguire one was fully gone i was convinced it would have to pick up. It has such a primetime slot that viewing figures being high are inevitable but yes of course there is a demographic that find that 'comedy' humorous, i'm not that ignorant to that.

Good enough episode last night though The Vipers news bit isn';t working, and didn't work last year either, so not sure why they're keeping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Good enough episode last night though The Vipers news bit isn';t working, and didn't work last year either, so not sure why they're keeping it.

I haven't watched it this year but that was disappointing last year, because The Viper can be hilarious, I loved his commentary on the Olympics sailing a few years ago. In general he is brilliant character as well, everyone went to school with the Viper basically. Dunno why it doesn't work on the show though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That Clean Break piss take was good, especially when they recreated the theme song.

• Advertisement

I haven't watched it this year but that was disappointing last year, because The Viper can be hilarious, I loved his commentary on the Olympics sailing a few years ago. In general he is brilliant character as well, everyone went to school with the Viper basically. Dunno why it doesn't work on the show though.

I don't think it works as he isn't actually the viper, he just dresses the same as him. If that makes sense.

Advertisement