Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of Republic of Telly

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Haven't watched it at all this series but I always thought that the best part or ROT was when they took the piss out of other TV shows a la TV Burp. Usually this is the first section of the show. The worst part of the show has always been the sketches. Some of them were OK in the past but in the past few years they have been almost all dismally unfunny.

Also the new girl on it with the red hair is both not funny and also annoying. A double whammy of badness.

That was how the show started with, I think, Neil Delamere as anchor and the next year Dermot Whelan. The first two seasons were 90% tv p*ss takes which is the general foundation of the show. There was a small sketch and then the location camera booth.

This is when it was watchable. Indeed the p*ss takes they do at the start of the show can still be very good at times.

Why they completely altered the format of the show to incorporate non tv related sketches and low rate comedians and models doing these annoying generally cringeworthy same sketches as well as these silly "VIPER NEWS" parts is beyond me.

Surely they can't maintain that the format of this show now is the same as how it was pitched 6 years ago. Its gone an entirely different direction bar the 5 minutes or less devoted to tv "burps" or "p1ss takes".

Why not devise a new show if they want to give low rated comedians/models a platform. The sketches are for the most part nonsensical attempts at sattire. As are those on the street silly "chugger style" interviews/questions that they do like Jennifer Maguire and that REALLY irritating new D4 headed girl that calls herself a comiedienne!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's the annoying thing as it used to be a good show.

For some reason though they brought in Bernard's news which didn't work, then Al Porter's news which was the same and also didn't work, then the vipers news which was the exact same and obviously didn't work. There is a bit of promise in the Dick Liver sketches but they have to take it away from the news section and just let him do a proper sketch.

The behind the scences sketches they used to do on RTE where good too, even when Joanne started those were good, but they've dropped them too now.

As a show it just doesn't make sense anymore for what it's meant to be so has ended up being nothing.

Shame really as it was a good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

that REALLY irritating new D4 headed girl that calls herself a comiedienne!!

Surely she's a northsider? That accent is not D4.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Surely she's a northsider? That accent is not D4.

I haven't a clue how you, like got northside out of that one, like! Unless you are referring to a, like, different girl!

! I just couldn't think of her name and got a bit petty with the D4 accent reference! Shes from Killiney which is southside anyway, I'm not sure if it's in D4, but it's not far off! Anyway iforget the accent reference it's what she says rather than how she says it that's the problem for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I haven't a clue how you, like got northside out of that one, like! Unless you are referring to a, like, different girl!

! I just couldn't think of her name and got a bit petty with the D4 accent reference! Shes from Killiney which is southside anyway, I'm not sure if it's in D4, but it's not far off! Anyway iforget the accent reference it's what she says rather than how she says it that's the problem for me!

I need to get my ears checked apparently!

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I need to get my ears checked apparently!

Can I have your ears! I'd love to block out that accent sometimes! !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I watched this a couple of times in the last few weeks and its poor, really poor. The show with the original cast before the end was struggling but this is far worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Unfortunately it still pulls in the casual viewers. And it probably costs about 10 cent to make. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That First Dates pisstake was the first time it made me laugh in a good while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

This weeks episode I enjoyed... The TV bit sketch at the start was very good, Joanne (for the first time) on the street made me laugh, news was funny. Viper was got 1or2 giggles (1or2 more then normal) and the GAA bit was gas!

• Advertisement

I don't expect too much from it so that keeps me watching. Sometimes the Viper has some good gags (when talking about the sale of Hilton hotels he quipped that it was Paris Hilton that has had the most men in her!). Joanne McNally on the other hand, for a so-called funnywoman, is just about the most unfunny person I've ever seen. Bernard O'Shea (and to a lesser extent Jennifer Maguire) is a big loss and Joanne is a wretched replacement.

A particular lowlight is when Joanne features prominently in one of the sketches. I feel physical pain rather than laughter.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I think they might be heavily censored by RTE, there are odd moments where they get away with it, like the voice in the RTE lift 'Welcome to RTE, please don't mention Denis O'Brien, abortions....' and and when he said last night that Brendan O'Connor's Saturday Night Show was axed to protect Tubridy.

It can be funny at times, the best parts are when they take the piss out of other shows, Car Boot Karaoke was pretty funny too.

I amn't a fan by all means but in fairness to it, it doesn't mind taking the p2ss out of its own shows whilst TV3 when reviewing/previewing their own stations shows talks about every show as if its unbelievable!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The song Kevin sung about Galway was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

'Twas a good episode

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It has been renewed for another series in September :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

It has been renewed for another series in September :rolleyes:.

As I said, it still pulls in the casual viewers and it's dirt cheap to produce. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

When it finally does end, however, I can't see it being given much off a send-off. After all, very few RTE shows are given the chance to say goodbye properly, no matter how long they've been running for...

I'd say it's very cheap to make.

The production quality has nose dived since Bernard and Maguire left and then there's the "we like to promote up and coming Irish talent" bit too which would be pretty cheap and shortens the actual show too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Two of the best bits of the show were the 24 hour camera and the random people talking on the streets. Dont know why the camera doesnt come back and do the questions on the street feature every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,441 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Getting in on the country music boom by having Nathan Carter on the new season premiere :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

The first one back was pretty poor I thought. Ploughing Championship wasn't the worst but the rest pretty bad.

It's doing far better than the last couple of seasons.

So far not bad in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Don't really watch it regularly any more but caught last night's. Was surprisingly decent to be fair although the ubiquitous Vogue Williams doesn't really add anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Don't really watch it regularly any more but caught last night's. Was surprisingly decent to be fair although the ubiquitous Vogue Williams doesn't really add anything.

Why is everyone using the word 'ubiquitous' nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Because its an accurate description for her?

You can never have too much of Vogue Williams. Yummy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Because its an accurate description for her?

Really?
    Explain

The only time I see her is on ROT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Really?
    Explain

The only time I see her is on ROT

She has her own programme lately, Vogue's wild wimmin or some auld shite like that

I'd much rather Vogue than that ginger one Joanne McNally. Series has been much better this time and it's no coincidence they got rid of that annoying and completely unfunny co-presenter.

• Advertisement

One thing I noticed that really affected the show the last couple of seasons was the production quality. It used to be pretty poor and had a big affect on the sketches. It's gone right back up and has also had a big affect on the sketches.

Advertisement