Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of Republic of Telly

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

darkdubh wrote: »
    No.Jennifer Maguire is about as funny as Operation Yewtree.And yes she'd get it but thats no reason to put her fronting a comedy programme.Is that guy Whelan still on it?He was the least funny regular panelist on The Panel which is saying something.

Whelan hasn't been on it in quite a while, do you even watch the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

No.Jennifer Maguire is about as funny as Operation Yewtree.And yes she'd get it but thats no reason to put her fronting a comedy programme.Is that guy Whelan still on it?He was the least funny regular panelist on The Panel which is saying something.

I think he left at least 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Has its moments. The 80's sketches so be good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Whelan hasn't been on it in quite a while, do you even watch the show?

Watched it when it first started and hated it.Have seen more recent sketches on Youtube and my opinion of it hasen't changed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

We'll have to agree to disagree so as when I first started watching I found it really good.

The sketches on youtube I think are very good too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Watched it when it first started and hated it.Have seen more recent sketches on Youtube and my opinion of it hasen't changed.

So you watched it when Neil Delemare was hosting then and not Dermot Whelan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Neil Delemare i don't think ever done why republic of telly. He was on the panel show along with other's who they keep giving gigs to you are just not funny. Anyone each to their own but the republic of telly is tripe imo. However the biggest disgrace ever to come out of rte was Catherine Lynch (Wanderly wagon etc). Anyone finding that funny needs locking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

RTE would not know funny if it hit them in the face. Oh well it did Father Ted and they turned that down.

I can't believe anyone still thinks RTE turned down Father Ted. The writers have said on numerous occasions that they never offered it to RTE.

I stand corrected they didn't offer it to them. Probably for the good. Knowing them they would have made a mess of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Neil Delemare i don't think ever done why republic of telly.
    You think wrong.

• Advertisement

Ok if he did sorry.

Would not suprise me. I think comedians hand around the canteen in rte till they get something. Rte have produced so much crap over the years. As a national station its a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Neil Delemare i don't think ever done why republic of telly. He was on the panel show along with other's who they keep giving gigs to you are just not funny. Anyone each to their own but the republic of telly is tripe imo. However the biggest disgrace ever to come out of rte was Catherine Lynch (Wanderly wagon etc). Anyone finding that funny needs locking up.

What was wrong with Wanderly Wagon? Show of my childhood tbh.

No Catherine Lynch Wanderly wagon comedy show.

Catherine Lynch done wonderwoman not wanderly wagon sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Catherine Lynch done wonderwoman not wanderly wagon sorry.

You do realize you can edit your posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Who was Bernards girlfriend in tonights episode? Voice sounds really familiar!

Haven't seen it but I'm guessing Mrs Panti as she was on all the ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Haven't seen it but I'm guessing Mrs Panti as she was on all the ads.

No, some woman. Could be wrong but I think I recognise her voice from 2fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I stand corrected they didn't offer it to them. Probably for the good. Knowing them they would have made a mess of it.

When asked about why they didn't offer it to RTE, Arthur Mathews said "It never even occurred to us... It would be like offering it to Waterford Glass."

I watched Republic of Telly tonight, for the first time since it started (because Alf Stewart from Home and Away was on it). It's not very good, is it? Classic RTE comedy - lots of 'craic' and 'banter', the odd decent joke, but poorly written and very poorly executed. Amateurish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

RayM wrote: »
    When asked about why they didn't offer it to RTE, Arthur Mathews said "It never even occurred to us... It would be like offering it to Waterford Glass."

I watched Republic of Telly tonight, for the first time since it started (because Alf Stewart from Home and Away was on it). It's not very good, is it? Classic RTE comedy - lots of 'craic' and 'banter', the odd decent joke, but poorly written and very poorly executed. Amateurish.

Whats Alf doing in Ireland at the moment anyway.Is he in a stage play or something just I seen him on the seven o'clock show on Thursday. He seems to be turning up everywhere.

And yea Republic of Telly was never really RTEs crown jewel but its a slight improvement on previous seasons mainly I'm guessing due to the exclusion of Jennifer maguire and less of those god awful skits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Very fun tonight after a few iffy shows.

I think they're really missing Jen.

All the sketches with the "Jen of the week" lack in story as if they only had the "jen in the week" for one day.

When you compare the sketches from this season to last there's a big step down in production values which I presume is from the lack of time with Jen.

The previous seasons sketches had much more of a story than this seasons.

For example this clip has much more of a story, background, and production value than anything off this season

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭James Delaney

@CheckMate 19.

Yeah i reckon all Irish Comedians are hanger-ons to rte.
    Halls Pictorial Wkly -,Now ders some pile of ****. How can rte pay for dat dribble - abs. Terrible - same crap for the past 3 years. How can Apres,Match Team lower themselves to that.

Rep. Of Telly is good - taking d piss outa rte. Its the BEST IRISH PRODUCED COMEDY - Fait play to them. Get rid of the rest.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Neil Delemare i don't think ever done why republic of telly.

He hosted the first season, when it was a clone of TV Burp, before the sketches took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Staplor

Bring back the Blizzard of Odd!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Staplor wrote: »
    Bring back the Blizzard of Odd!!!

Jesus completely forgot about Blizzard of Odd, Ten years since it was last on now. Thats when there used to be something half decent on RTE 2 on a Monday or Tuesday night.

Even back in the Mid to Late ninety's the RTE 2 schedules had a pretty good line up with Game On, Larry Sanders Married with Children, I remember a Australian Cop show I enjoyed at the time called Murder Call although looking back at it now it did seem hammy. Ever episode seemed to end with the female cop getting a premonition about the episodes murder and immediately solving the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,441 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I did laugh at RTE Shore

I thought last night's episode was the best of the season, everything seemed to work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I thought last night's episode was the best of the season, everything seemed to work!

The news with the viper was a lot better than usual. Last nights was a big improvement as of late.

Advertisement