Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of Republic of Telly

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The only reason I ever enjoyed this programme was when it was a tv programme skit show, as it was sold to us in the beginning as. Neil Delamere done a great job in the early season or two with this and it got a popular response.
    Then they gradually changed the format, introducing RTE cafe staff to do an odd fake skit, Z list models coming on, the camera on the street on a night out (good idea at start but completely wore thin and unoriginal over time), the silly sketches, the likes of Viper News and Bernards News (again funny at start and now and again but like everything else became a lazy and cringey format), Linda Martin and Blathnaid Ni Coughdrop sketches etc etc

Then the fake laughing. The fake fake fake audience laughing! Cameras cut to the audience, quiet clearly out of sync with the actual jokes (the clapping and laughing is recorded pre show). I know all shows do it but it really grates on me on that show!! e

It became a stop gap career start for mainly very average comedians and acts! Some of the funnier comedians who came on werent done justice being shoved into silly sketches around the grounds of RTE!

Again, as I said, its decision to move away from pure skit show of tv programes is strange. There is so much material (could do a one hour skit on Fair City every week if they wanted!)
    Its not as if it was an expensive production cost. And Irish audience love to take p1ss and vent about tv! (I should know!!)

Its not going anywhere soon as it probably attracts a decent audience target market and is cheap format and gives the RTE lifers something to do

But its a pity as it used to be a very good show as the show it was sold to us as. And it was extremely well received before all this goofing around started!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'd much rather Vogue than that ginger one Joanne McNally. Series has been much better this time and it's no coincidence they got rid of that annoying and completely unfunny co-presenter.

Actually completely forgot about her. Definitely no loss anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I have to say I thought this show was done, I didn't think they could make it work anymore.

I've been very pleasantly surprised this season in that so far they've been doing a good job.

It's made me laugh and sometimes laugh a lot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I have to say I thought this show was done, I didn't think they could make it work anymore.

I've been very pleasantly surprised this season in that so far they've been doing a good job.

It's made me laugh and sometimes laugh a lot!!

I thought this was a thread to bitch about the program. What the fcuk do you think you're doing giving it praise??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ha, well I do have something to bitch about.

They've finally made it as good as it used to be but have decided to only do a short run now!

There was a few great bits added to this season but they've ended it very prematurely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Looks like it's about to get the chop alongside reality bites.

Reaction to RTE posting big losses (up to 20million euro)

What is the deal with Blathnaid ni Coughdrop doing all those pathetic sketches. Her tv career really went downhill post bullygate. A very unlikeable sort.
    I was in the bookies one day and Hector was there. It was around the time of the whole Sheena issue. In pops ni Coughdrop to meet him. I creeped over to eavesdrop and they started ag caint as gaeilge, presumably thinking I wouldn't be able to hear understand.

Ni Coughdrop had just came from Today FM studio after an interview with Ray D'arcy. She was calling him a little rat and a creepy. Moaning about the fact he brought up Sheena in the interview.

I imagine there is no love loss between them when they meet eachother in the RTE canteen.

In fairness, she is right. Bit unfair to bring that up on a morning radio programme

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2016/1129/835365-rte-to-rumours-over-future-of-republic-of-telly/

The end, it appears is indeed nigh.

In fairness, eight years is a good run for any show - particularly one with zero sale or (non near) repeat value - although being cheap as chips to produce probably helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Lets call a spade a useless metal thing with a broken handle, it was never any good.

They played to the plebs in the studio instead of to the camera.

Rubberbandits never came close to "Willie O'dea" on Rte.

Jennifer Maguire adds nothing to Irish comedy.

Making jokes about Fair City etc. is shooting fish in a barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

What is the deal with Blathnaid ni Coughdrop doing all those pathetic sketches. Her tv career really went downhill post bullygate. A very unlikeable sort.
    I was in the bookies one day and Hector was there. It was around the time of the whole Sheena issue. In pops ni Coughdrop to meet him. I creeped over to eavesdrop and they started ag caint as gaeilge, presumably thinking I wouldn't be able to hear understand.

Ni Coughdrop had just came from Today FM studio after an interview with Ray D'arcy. She was calling him a little rat and a creepy. Moaning about the fact he brought up Sheena in the interview.

I imagine there is no love loss between them when they meet eachother in the RTE canteen.

In fairness, she is right. Bit unfair to bring that up on a morning radio programme

I can only assume she has a permanent job there and it would just be too messy/expensive to oust her.

Putting her front and centre on any sort of a show working with other people, for obvious reasons, probably isn't going to happen ever again.

She has her own small-time radio show on R na G and throwing her on to the Republic of Telly probably makes RTE feel they are at least getting some value for paying her a wage.

• Advertisement

Lets call a spade a useless metal thing with a broken handle, it was never any good.

They played to the plebs in the studio instead of to the camera.

Rubberbandits never came close to "Willie O'dea" on Rte.

Jennifer Maguire adds nothing to Irish comedy.

Making jokes about Fair City etc. is shooting fish in a barrel.

Nothing wrong with this!

AXED

Praise the Lord!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

AXED

Praise the Lord!

I wouldn't exactly celebrate. RTE will probably replace it with something worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,275 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If only Bridget & Eamon was next, here's hoping.

Personally I'd love a return of Blizzard Of Odd...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Its not going anywhere soon as it probably attracts a decent audience target market and is cheap format and gives the RTE lifers something to do

:pac:

Have to say I'm sad to see it go.

The last season was good and when it was Dermot/Kevin, Jen, and Bernard it was good too.

Advertisement