Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

So. I think I'm about ready to make the jump to Windows 10.
    Going to be upgrading from 8.1 and then doing a clean install.

Just a few question, looking for some tips etc.

Got 8.1 installed on an SSD with most of my smaller programs installed on it. Anything big like my Steam directory, Battlenet, Uplay etc and all my documents are on a 2TB mechanical drive. Got a 640GB drive and a 250GB drive for backing up docs etc.

What's the easiest way to do this?
    Obviously going to back up all my documents before I make the jump but was wondering if I will need to wipe my 2TB harddrive with the fresh install seeing as I have some programs installed on there? Will reinstalling these programs once Win10 has been set up disrupt the files on the 2TB drive?

Should I disconnect the non OS harddrives before I do the fresh install?

Just looking for the easiest way of doing this.
    I did a clean install, left the non-SSD plugged in and just directed the installer to install on the SSD, left the non-SSD's data intact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Meesared wrote: »
    I did a clean install, left the non-SSD plugged in and just directed the installer to install on the SSD, left the non-SSD's data intact
    I set up a UEFI install (if you know what that is) on the SSD when I installed 8.1 almost two years ago. Am I to just delete the OS partition to create 'unallocated space' and then instruct to install it on there, leaving the UEFI partition untouched?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Yep! Thats basically it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

RainyDay wrote: »
    I did the upgrade on Monday night on my Win 7 Dell laptop. The upgrade went smoothly, but after I booted up, the screen kept blanking out, almost like a black screensaver was kicking in. I did ctrl-alt-del to get to the task manager, and was pleasantly surprised to find the MSCONFIG options for startup there too. I disabled a load of apps, anything that seemed vaguely non-essential, and it booted up normally from there.

It does seem to do this periodic 'refresh' of the desktop, where it takes a few seconds to redisplay - as used to happen if Windows Explorer terminated in previous versions. This is happening fairly consistently now for me - any ideas what I need to do to stop this happening?

I've had to revert to Windows 7. Explorer crash loop seems to be a fairly common problem, and I didn't find any obvious solution - it was just unusable, so I've switched back. I was about to use the 'reset your system' option which would have cleared off a load of apps, but it told me that once I did a reset, I wouldn't be able to do a revert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

**Breaking News!**

Camera now working. No idea how or why, but I noticed it worked after doing a Vaio system check. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Has anyone else noticed a few bugs starting to appear lately. ive started to notice that when the start menu is open and you uninstall an app using this method it freezes the system and a power button boot is required. Also the enter or space bar fail to work if the system has locked and you want to access the login screen. and im very sure loading times have dramatically decreased.

Ive done a factory restore which brought it back to win 8(OEM) but im thinking back to win 7 and upgrade fresh see if that will help. Was working perfectly before i stupidly went an installed a program which decided to corrupt the system files upon removal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Jhcx wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed a few bugs starting to appear lately. ive started to notice that when the start menu is open and you uninstall an app using this method it freezes the system and a power button boot is required. Also the enter or space bar fail to work if the system has locked and you want to access the login screen. and im very sure loading times have dramatically decreased.

The uninstall one hasn't happened me but the space & enter on lock screen does. I have to left click to get it to work which is mildly annoying alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

I started recently getting a problem on my laptop even on Windows 8 and maybe thought it could be fixed in Windows 10, My speakers work fine but after using headphones the speakers are not putting out sound and they are set as the default device? The only way I get the speakers back working is by plugging in and out the headphones a few times?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭harryohh

robinmgp wrote: »
    Hello Everyone! Mainstream support for Windows 7 has ended, meaning less updates!!
    How is this a bad thing? updates just get in your way!! Actually, updates are what have kept your computer alive all through till today!! Less security patches means you are MUCH more vulnerable to get a virus :( Windows 10 is still in it's mainstream support, and Microsoft plan to keep it like that until mid-2020. However, your free upgrade is only available for a small time, The upgrade to windows 10 will cost €99.99 Starting 28th July, 2016. So Upgrade!! And you'll have it free forever. Upgrade for FREE and you get:
    Faster PC
    Less chance of getting viruses
    Much extended range of apps
    More productivity
    And much more! Even if you're on low-end hardware. How would I know? I've had Windows 10 since February 4th. So why not give it a try? :D

In extended support cycle Microsoft will still release security fixes. End of mainstream support means they won't be adding any new features.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭peking97

OriginV wrote: »
    I started recently getting a problem on my laptop even on Windows 8 and maybe thought it could be fixed in Windows 10, My speakers work fine but after using headphones the speakers are not putting out sound and they are set as the default device? The only way I get the speakers back working is by plugging in and out the headphones a few times?

Sounds like a dodgy headphone jack to me. Only solution would be to replace the jack. HTH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Has anyone actually tested an upgrade install versus a clean install performance wise?

Only reaon Im asking is that my main gaming machine here has so much on it that if I loose anything a clean install will be a nightmare.But I have to upgrade soon so should I just go for an upgrade and see how I get on?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Installed 10 but now my touch-pad scroll has gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I have a Dell Inspirion 1720 (since around 07 I think) and it was going fine. It came installed with vista, I upgraded it to Win 7 last year I think, and a few months ago upgraded it again to Win 10. That's when problems started. Laptop would keep crashing, blue screen every now and then. Kept getting more frequent, at the end it was once an hour, then a couple of times an hour.

Problems were memory management and a few other errors were being thrown up. Got fed up with it and at the risk of firing it through the window,(and loosing data) I bought a new HP. Came with Win 10 installed. Happy enough with it. After a lot of investigation the problems I was having was hardware conflicts with the Dell being so old. I'm sorry now that I didn't just leave Win 4 on the Dell and still buy the new HP. I switch on the Dell every now and thenand it might last for a few hours now no problem, as if to spite me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I'm a Windows 7 user(Home professional SP1 version). When Windows 10 was first released I never had the 'upgrade to windows 10' icon displayed on the bottom right bar, but I wasn't that pushed about it at the time, and decided to wait a while for Microsoft to iron out any kinks in the new OS before I attempted to install anyway.

Today, I was going to upgrade to 10, so I downloaded the getwindows10 .exe file from MS website. However, when I attempt to run it, nothing at all happens. Anyone else experienced this or know how to solve it?

Dunny wrote: »
    Installed 10 but now my touch-pad scroll has gone

sounds like you just need to reinstall the synaptics driver. or maybe set it to troubleshoot mode and select this worked in an earlier version of windows choose 8, 7, vista or xp depending on the last OS you had on the pc

hopefully that might help correct the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I have an Acer aspire 5733, used mostly for Internet and word docs. I am not quite computer illiterate, but I have a very limited understanding of how they work.
    I upgraded (hah!) to windows 10 a few months ago and had some initial 'critical process died' problems which stopped after a while. Yesterday and today they are happening with increasing frequency, so now I can't even get past the sign in screen.
    I'm really stuck, is there anything I can do to get access to my laptop? My phone is in the blink too, it took me ages to type this, or I'd try to get by without the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

My machine installed the latest big update yesterday and I'm having this annoying problem ever since.

Upon boot up I get the message that the Windows password is incorrect. It also seems to list 2 accounts, but both are the same. When I go into Account Management there's only the 1. For that account I have the account set to never ask for the password. I know what the password is and entering it and logging in is not a problem, it's the fact that it's asking for it in the first place, and that it seems to be defaulting to some password upon log in that's incorrect.

Checking via Netplwiz it has that Users must enter a user name or password to use this computer unticked so it's not that either, and it's only listing one user there too. One thing I did notice was that you can't add or remove users from there either, or basically do anything with that existing account. If I click Manage Passwords I get a Credential Manager error.

My google skills are failing me with any sort of resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like something borked during upgrade, roll back to before the update.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    My machine installed the latest big update yesterday and I'm having this annoying problem ever since.

Upon boot up I get the message that the Windows password is incorrect. It also seems to list 2 accounts, but both are the same. When I go into Account Management there's only the 1. For that account I have the account set to never ask for the password. I know what the password is and entering it and logging in is not a problem, it's the fact that it's asking for it in the first place, and that it seems to be defaulting to some password upon log in that's incorrect.

Checking via Netplwiz it has that Users must enter a user name or password to use this computer unticked so it's not that either, and it's only listing one user there too. One thing I did notice was that you can't add or remove users from there either, or basically do anything with that existing account. If I click Manage Passwords I get a Credential Manager error.

My google skills are failing me with any sort of resolution.

I had the same problem as well during the beta stage. there is a way around it. and you can theoretically log into both they both lead to the same section. one i think is a local account thats just false. im trying to look through my history to see if i can pull up any info i'll let you know if i find what helped.

Jhcx wrote: »
    I had the same problem as well during the beta stage. there is a way around it. and you can theoretically log into both they both lead to the same section. one i think is a local account thats just false. im trying to look through my history to see if i can pull up any info i'll let you know if i find what helped.

That's exactly what's happening, it's the same account when you log on. One is a Microsoft account, the other is local, but they're both the same, Windows accepts the same password for both. I'd appreciate if you find anything that rings any bells.

• Advertisement

Ive found some of the ways but reading your post youve done most of those that are obvious. from what i can remember and finding other advice is to reinstall. specially if everything is locked i havent managed to get into that section yet to understand more about it. the only other option is to go somewhere into the cmd and see what its saying from there. i do know the two accounts have to show up somewhere.

another way might be to set up a local account but your saying you cant do that.

There's a local account that you can select at log in, but it's the same as the Microsoft one. Once you're logged on, only 1 account is displayed, no matter what account you select. And yes, you can't add an additional account once in.

I'm rolled back to the previous version, stupid thing keeps doing the same.

Edit, ah, I figured it out. What I had to do was go to my account settings for my Microsoft account, select Sign in with local account instead and up pop the option for creating a new local account, password etc. I just left the computer name as the account name and didn't fill any passwords etc and it logs me on now to the default local account with no need for a password.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Wondering what the general consensus is with regards upgrading to Windows 10 now?

I have a laptop (no touchscreen) running Windows 8 and I'm pondering making the leap. I've never even upgraded to 8.1 but now I'm considering it and trying to figure if it is recommended or not?

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Wondering what the general consensus is with regards upgrading to Windows 10 now?

I have a laptop (no touchscreen) running Windows 8 and I'm pondering making the leap. I've never even upgraded to 8.1 but now I'm considering it and trying to figure if it is recommended or not?
    Just a note that you can't upgrade directly from 8 to 10, without going to 8.1 first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

For me a few things didn't work in W10. I switched back to 8.1. I'm trying W10 on another machine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

10 is alright.. it's more stable/usable than it was at launch, but it's still very unfinished IMO with a lot of work left to do and an occasionally awkward mis-mash of the old and the new.

What really annoys me more though is that we're all expected to just live with this while they fix it - it's even more of an issue on phones running Windows 10.
    Free or not, IMO they should have taken more time to get it ready before they rolled out.

7 (or 8.1 with a decent start menu) is still the best current OS I reckon

I think it depends what you are using. If you find the new desktop, tiles, apps useful. Then you'll love it.
    I don't use any of that. So for me, 7/8/10 are all the same as I use my own menu etc. I think 8/10 are a little quicker but not enough to make it worth switching. I would mainly switch so my OS is supported longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Adamcp898 wrote: »

Thanks for the responses. Perhaps a better way to phrase the question would be, if you could choose any of them right now, would you pick 8, 8.1, or 10?

I probably should add that I still go straight to the desktop every time I switch the laptop on and don't use the tile interface at all.

I would prefer 8.1 with a different menu.

But I would upgrade to 10 before the free upgrade runs out. They'll likely have fixed most things by then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

There are still some significant issues with some drivers, which results in BSOD crashes, which are not helpful. I've several machines across a number of users on 10, and they are basically stable, but not always, and the worst is a 6 month old Acer Laptop, which has not been a good experience, the most recent update won't install clean, the video driver seems to be the issue, it crashes with Page fault errors way too often, and the bluetooth mouse is unreliable on both the new release and the previous build, despite it being a Microsoft device. There are also some unresolved issues with Update not installing new third party drivers, and that's caused me some issues with HP and Ricoh printers, which are in theory supported, but in practise, I have had some issues with both devices.

The biggest show stopper for me is the lack of control over Update, especially on a laptop that may be being used away from home networks, a major update starting 10 minutes before going through security at an airport (for example) is not exactly helpful, as you either have to abort it, and power down, or find a way to keep it going so that it doesn't fail and perhaps cause even bigger problems as a result. I't MY computer, and as such I should have ultimate control over what is updated and when, and not Microsoft, and that going forward could become a significant deal breaker for many corporate users.

There are some nice new features, but having said that, my main browser is Firefox, and I use Thunderbird mail client, and don't have Office on this machine (it's way too expensive these days), I use a different office package that covers most of what I need, apart from an annoying crash with Twain scanning, which is app related, the same driver works with an ancient copy of paintshop pro.

the latest release is supposed to make 10 more acceptable to corporate users, but at present, I can't install it on this machine as it's not stable, and Microsoft don't have answers as to why at the moment, which is worrying.

Whichever route you decide to go, the most critical aspect is to make sure you have valid backups of everything on the machine before you let it update, and then make sure you do regular backups going forward, as there's no way to know when update may make it hard or even impossible to get back into the machine easily, which is not clever.

Boot time is quicker, and it's not so badly locked out after sign on as earlier versions. A right click on the menu button gives a choice menu that goes to a lot of useful areas of the machine, which saves a lot of searching. If you need access to just about everything, do a Google search for God Mode, it works in 10 as in earlier versions. This machine came with 8.1, I had been using XP until relatively shortly before migrating to this machine, and I have to admit to preferring 10 to 8.1, even though there are some issues with 10 that really should not have got out into use. As long as I don't get any more problems with later updates, I will stick with 10 for now, hopefully, Microsoft are listening to feedback from the users, and responding to that feedback.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement