Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

11099 just got released to the fast ring. The progress bar when copying files is now working again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Nothing doing so far. Windows update appeared to last update successfully in early November. Small ish updates won't install, never mind Win 10. Tried the fix it tool thing...that sat there for ages.

Win 7 netbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Windows 10 updates today. Had to restart laptop for them to install. Had to go to mouse settings AGAIN to switch off that damned "pinch & zoom" :mad: That and the num lock being disabled after any restart, fecking annoying

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Windows 10 updates today. Had to restart laptop for them to install. Had to go to mouse settings AGAIN to switch off that damned "pinch & zoom" :mad: That and the num lock being disabled after any restart, fecking annoying
    Must have installed a new touchpad driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Karsini wrote: »
    Must have installed a new touchpad driver.

Nope, its a long standing problem with Win 10. Its OK if I use the sleep mode, but if I swtch it off or restart it, it resets the pinch and zoom every time. That and the num lock :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Nope, its a long standing problem with Win 10. Its OK if I use the sleep mode, but if I swtch it off or restart it, it resets the pinch and zoom every time. That and the num lock :mad:

I always have the issue with the num lock not on when starting the laptop. Didn't realise could be fixed to on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Isn't numlock on at boot a BIOS setting? Could have swore I remembered seeing it in there before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

OK I'm not sure if this is a Windows 10 problem or not my laptop.
    I can't get sound to play through my bluetooth headphones from the laptop.
    I can pair it no problem and it confirms they are paired in bluetooth settings but when I try to connect it just keeps telling me the connection failed.
    I've tried this with a couple of pairs of headphones and the same thing happens.
    Any ideas?
    Ive only just bought the laptop. It's a Lenovo yoga 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 robinmgp

Gotta Love how Microsoft think repeating the error message, twice is going to make matters any better. (e.g. Something happened. - Something Happened.)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Jimllfixit

Microsoft been dun' goofing a lot lately. W10 will have what? Ctrl+V in command prompt? Uh... thanks? And finally auto detects whether or not to load the dumb ass touch screen interface or desktop mode based on hardware? Well that is extremely basic and should've been in W8.

The fact that W7/8 aren't getting DX12 but W10 and the bloody Xbox One are really shows MC don't give a feck about us.

I feel no real rush to get W10, hell I've been considering dual booting to Linux and only using windows for gaming.

I love Robert Ninja's post. Says everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

robinmgp wrote: »
    Gotta Love how Microsoft think repeating the error message, twice is going to make matters any better. (e.g. Something happened. - Something Happened.)

Did you get the message that something has happened Did you get the message that something has happened? :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

I have a Spire internal CARDREADER 332 / SP332CB in a desktop PC
    not recognized and not working although an LED is on and it read the USB slot in the reader if I plug something into it.
    I cannot find drivers for it anywhere?
    no sign of it anywhere in device manger etc no errors no warnings etc

Opened up case cable seems ok.

I read somewhere its a common problem with win 1- RE card readers?

Its a secondhand machine which was upgraded recently by previous owner, I assume it was working beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Keplar240B wrote: »
    I have a Spire internal CARDREADER 332 / SP332CB in a desktop PC
    not recognized and not working although an LED is on and it read the USB slot in the reader if I plug something into it.
    I cannot find drivers for it anywhere?
    no sign of it anywhere in device manger etc no errors no warnings etc

Opened up case cable seems ok.

I read somewhere its a common problem with win 1- RE card readers?

Its a secondhand machine which was upgraded recently by previous owner, I assume it was working beforehand.

Yes, it seems to be a common problem with some onboard USB devices.
    My Web Cam still has issues, although now and again it does work.
    It would seem that there is a USB power distribution issue.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Yes, it seems to be a common problem with some onboard USB devices.
    My Web Cam still has issues, although now and again it does work.
    It would seem that there is a USB power distribution issue.

Just discovered how cheap they are anyway, its like 2 euro for an external one ebay. LOL. Did not use it much anyway and can work around it.

Next problem and last hopefully
    my old trusty external Iomega harddrive(2006) which worked on
    with XP last week and my old windows seven laptop.
    Cannot be seen by windows 10 at all nothing, nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭degsie

Just discovered how cheap they are anyway, its like 2 euro for an external one ebay. LOL. Did not use it much anyway and can work around it.

Next problem and last hopefully
    my old trusty external Iomega harddrive(2006) which worked on
    with XP last week and my old windows seven laptop.
    Cannot be seen by windows 10 at all nothing, nada.

Anything showing under Disk Management?

degsie wrote: »
    Anything showing under Disk Management?

No the PC picks up everything USB else i have straight away, flash, camera, phone etc
    but the iomega no sign of anything anywhere. tried troubleshooting but nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrtom

No the PC picks up everything USB else i have straight away, flash, camera, phone etc
    but the iomega no sign of anything anywhere. tried troubleshooting but nada.
    Is it powering up; spinning or lights ?

mrtom wrote: »
    Is it powering up; spinning or lights ?

Yep it works with my windows XP machine,
    I disassembled the external HDD and it put the raw hard drive my windows XP machine as a non-boot drive, it sees it fine.
    Going to leave to like that.

No idea what problem is wasted too much time on it.
    Cannot find any drivers for it on net, it did not come original with any installation software it was plug and play.
    Some conflict between the USB interface in drive and windows 10
    from googling looks like I am not only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Had a lot of problems lately. Buzzing audio, wifi problems, blue screens, and tonight everytime I launched anything to do with the internet it froze. Tried to revert to windows 7, failed. Repaired it with the keep all my files options, only all my games, browsers and programs gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jimmy_The_One

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Had a lot of problems lately. Buzzing audio, wifi problems, blue screens, and tonight everytime I launched anything to do with the internet it froze. Tried to revert to windows 7, failed. Repaired it with the keep all my files options, only all my games, browsers and programs gone :(

Hi Ivyslayer,

There are about 1880 DLL files in Windows 7 ranging from 1kB to 32,108 kb. These are the operating files that make up "Windows". It's probably one of these.

In "The Old Days" computers ran on the equivalent of three or four DLLs which ran on the CPU and talked to the ROM, RAM and I/O. It was a bit clunky but I used to run my company accounts and billing on one of these machines quite successfully using dBase II.

Now we have super-slick GUI's but at a terrible price in terms of trying to debug the problem. Often the only way is to format a drive and re-install Windows on it. Keep EVERYTHING else on a different backed-up drive. I've seen a lot of folk say they routinely fix Windows problems like this.

And then there were viruses . . . . good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Bit of rose tinted glasses there. Windows always had dll's and always crashed a lot more than Windows does these days. (as a sweeping generalisation). A machine thats dedicated to one application and/or task is going to be more robust than a machine that used for different tasks.

These days you can keep backups and snapshots and restore back to any point you have a backup from. So you shouldn't be losing anything unless you don't have it set up correctly.

It has to be like that because a modern PC is like a F1 car vs a bicycle in terms of complexity. If you don't want that you can switch to something else.

I always carry a pair.

Wouldn't it be grand if "they" could all agree on a single hardware plan for computers? A bit like having the brake, clutch and accelerator in the same place. Windows would only need half-a-dozen drivers / DLLs, and would NEVER crash!

Mind you, I've no idea whether Apple Macs crash as I've never been lucky or rich enough to own one. But it must be handy to own both the hardware AND software designs as Apple do.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

So after installing itself on my computer without my say so Windows 10 now wont activate despite the fact I have a perfectly valid Win 7 Pro licence. I get past the initial screen that tells you if your key is wrong but then it wont go any further and I get "We couldn't activate windows error code: 0xc002001b". I had a google but all the fixes I found seem to be for older versions of Windows. Is there any thing I can do here before I give up and go back to 7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ring MS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Indeed, if your key is valid then just type 'slui.exe 4' into a command prompt / run prompt and follow the on screen instructions.

beauf wrote: »
    Ring MS?

I had to resort to calling MS when my Windows 7 misbehaved similarly. It seems that their system thought I was trying to run the same copy of 7 on two separate computers.

When I explained that I was simply adding in a new SSD as the boot drive, they were very helpful.

I have a feeling I had to remove W7 from the old HD in the process but not being too savvy I can't really say whether this had a bearing or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭shortlegs

Have Windows 7; got the GetWindowsApp, but no Windows 10 upgrade. When does the free upgrade expire? Should I be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭cunnijo

So you have received the Get Windows App. It should be a matter of days for the upgrade to come available. As for the end date for the free upgrade, it is July 29th next. However there are reports this may be extended as the Windows 10 take up is not at the level Microsoft had initially hoped for (Windows 7 is still a very popular OS and is still being produced and sold). So keep an eye on any relevant tech news with regard to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭shortlegs

Well, Cunnijo, Thanks for the definite date, so I can let it roll for a while now.

I got the app a good while back.

• Advertisement

I am upgrading win7 to win10 on a PC for a friend

It stayed at the stage Getting updates checking for updates for an hour.
    That was PRE " I agree to the licence bit"
    Now POST that bit the same screen came up again ie
    Getting updates checking for updates : 0%.
    this time with "0%" present , stays at 0% been here two hours now?
    Should I just wait? or is it stuck
    It appears busy RAM and CPU activity levels are up and down, PC is still usable.
    This computer was not used much in last few months?

Advertisement