Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Social welfare shouldn't be spent on alcohol

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A horrible pompous fat little bastard of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Hasn't beer a higher level of VAT placed on it than food? If so then I'd rather social welfare be spent on beer as a lot more would go back into the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

See some kids going around with the shoes falling off their feet, clothes either dirty or too small on them, and mammy out every Saturday night. After a hard week of being a full time mum to little angles.
    Disgust you so it would

Then we have the usual idiots blabbing on about child poverty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You can't look for work when you're asleep either. We need to organise an Anti Sleep Force to make sure they get 7 hours max. Also, saw someone I know that's on the dole eating out with her husband for his birthday recently. That has to end, only microwavable Aldi lasagnes from now on for special occasions, the rest of the time the money should only be spent on the bare minimum needed for a human to survive. Another thing that wrecks my head is when they go to the hairdressers instead of shaving their heads. Oh, and mandatory potato sacks, no more fancy Penny's outfits. It just gets to me so much that every single person on welfare spends every penny of my money on luxuries and getting drunk.
    I'm going to open a new shop and call it Offal fruit & veg selling old veg and the rankest old offal I can get my hands on and it will only be open on dole day.
    A horrible pompous fat little bastard of a man.
    No need for that, Wibbs is not that bad:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Trust me. I an no stranger to being unable to work.

Am also more than au fait with caring for a disabled family member.

Right, OK, so during times where you haven't worked, you'd have been happy using vouchers or a card. Whipping vouchers out in front a queue of people in a shop, half of who will be making all kinds of judgements on your character if AH threads are anything to go by. And would you really be OK with being told you can't buy certain items? It wasn't because you were a slacker that you were out of work. So wouldn't you feel a bit hard done by having items restricted like you're an unrepentant dipso?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:

Cut out the personal abuse

It seems to me Norris is just angry in general. When he runs out of one thing to be angry about he finds another.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

In all honesty, what ever about Norris and his ramblings, do people on social not have better things to be spending 188 a week on? I work and the last thing I'd want to be buying is drink. Yes, drinking isn't for everyone, but paying bills and buying food on 188, sure how would you have anything left for booze in the first place.

Itzy wrote: »
    In all honesty, what ever about Norris and his ramblings, do people on social not have better things to be spending 188 a week on? I work and the last thing I'd want to be buying is drink. Yes, drinking isn't for everyone, but paying bills and buying food on 188, sure how would you have anything left for booze in the first place.

Yes they do I suppose. I taught in UCD and TBH I'd be more concerned with how much of our tax money is drank away there. 8000 a year per pupil is paid for by the taxpayer to fund students. A lot of it is a waster of money considering the party attitudes the student has.

Saying that let them get on with it and let people on the dole make their choices. I'm sure some of the child benefit money goes to wine too. There are worse things to get angry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Itzy wrote: »

David Norris is in no ways perfect, but he defo has a point. A better system is needed, food stamps would be a better way for dole money to be spent. Rent allowance paid directly to landlords. Dole money being paid into furthering education/courses. Dole money being utilized for important things not feckin booze money.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Yes they do I suppose. I taught in UCD and TBH I'd be more concerned with how much of our tax money is drank away there. 8000 a year per pupil is paid for by the taxpayer to fund students. A lot of it is a waster of money considering the party attitudes the student has.

From my experience, many students with a party attitude are also very good students. If they can do both and are not wasting their education, good for them! Many workers who don't to go to college also have that party lifestyle in their early 20s. It's all part of being young.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    From my experience, many students with a party attitude are also very good students. If they can do both and are not wasting their education, good for them! Many workers who don't to go to college also have that party lifestyle in their early 20s. It's all part of being young.

Well not in biochemistry anyway. Saying that even if they're good students the taxpayers are paying 8000 a year for them to party and get a degree. I wouldn't change it but it's a worse source of waste than someone on the dole buying some drink IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Norris needs to quieten down. The last thing the ruling class needs is sobriety among the peasants. With the ensuing clarity they might start having ideas and things on how to improve their lives apart from intoxication. They might even begin to challenge the politicians of the day.

No David, let those on social welfare and in low income employment have their benefits. The idea is to make them feel content with what they have but feel they can't have anymore. Slowly turning them into obedient cowards who know their place in the circle of life. Let them drink for if they drink there won't be any threat to the hierarchy.

So shut it Norris and don't suggest alcohol is not an integral part of life. Sure isn't everyone entitled to a drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Sorry. I was talking about David norris not you. No offence to you meant.
    Trust me. I an no stranger to being unable to work.

Am also more than au fait with caring for a disabled family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

David Norris

1) in favour of nonses
    2) thinks rte are a disgrace for their recent sting operation on corrupt councillors
    3) opposed to dolies with a bag of cans

Isn't that what alcohol was introduced for? Was reading a book about it. The church used to control the hops market and banned all other beer making ingredients herbs, burdock etc. The other ale herbs were stimulating but the hops are sedating. The masses need sedating/distraction or I they might revolt. I don't see David norris doing very well in rowdier times. He is not very hardy and he is very annoying. His head would roll pretty early in a reign of terror type scenario I imagine.
    Norris needs to quieten down. The last thing the ruling class needs is sobriety among the peasants. With the ensuing clarity they might start having ideas and things on how to improve their lives apart from intoxication. They might even begin to challenge the politicians of the day.

No David, let those on social welfare and in low income employment have their benefits. The idea is to make them feel content with what they have but feel they can't have anymore. Slowly turning them into obedient cowards who know their place in the circle of life. Let them drink for if they drink there won't be any threat to the hierarchy.

So shut it Norris and don't suggest alcohol is not an integral part of life. Sure isn't everyone entitled to a drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

He probably has a point about Irish people on the dole spending tax payers money on Alcohol. Well for starters you have a drinking problem among Irish people and if someone can discourage them from drinking excessive amounts, then it can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭SeanW

Swiftly wrote: »
    Must find my Santa suit, fill my bag with bottles of vodka and stand outside the dole office handing out presents to harshly judged. I'll dedicate it to all the moaning snobs. Merry Crimbo
    That would be legendary :pac:
    Hermy wrote: »
    He only wants equality for himself.
    Par for the course for the modern Left unfortunately.
    where are they available for virtually nothing? I need some for Christmas.
    They are 24 - 40 euro around here I would not consider that virtually nothing, Having said that I am not on a senators income.
    You'll be looking for a long time - Irish drink prices are the 2nd most expensive, next only to Finland (we may have eclipsed Finland in recent years) at 167% of the EU average, only Finland is higher at 170%. By contrast the UK is a steal at only 117%. Source. No wonder I can use Euros in every shop in Enniskillen :pac:

It seems we're being led by deranged rabid ultra Authoritarians that are either wilfully blind to their stupidity and ignorance, or mendacious to an inexplicable extreme.

Well not in biochemistry anyway.

I did science. I can't say that the biochemistry students distinguished themselves as slackers. They worked hard, played hard like anyone else. They are still getting a good education, if they can do that and have an active social life, good for them. Once work is done to a high standard, I don't see what relevance their social life has. Many also worked part-time. It's not a waste at all, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well he has a point but what does he actually suggest doing about it.

Cigarettes and fast food would need to be included as well, so a voucher system?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Kill and cook the homeless. Feed them to the poor. Disband all social welfare.

The problem drinkers will find a way to drink. This will cost the state more money. People on the dole or anyone in fact should investigate home brewing. It is better for you, as you don't use most of the chemicals used commercially, it is cheap and very satisfying and if I do say so myself my blackberry and apple cider is delightful.

K-9 wrote: »
    Well he has a point but what does he actually suggest doing about it.

Cigarettes and fast food would need to be included as well, so a voucher system?

That's the only way, really. But it is so controlling, and so demoralising to anyone who is really trying to find new work.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I did science. I can't say that the biochemistry students distinguished themselves as slackers. They worked hard, played hard like anyone else. They are still getting a good education, if they can do that and have an active social life, good for them. Once work is done to a high standard, I don't see what relevance their social life has. Many also worked part-time. It's not a waste at all, IMO.

Oh I wouldn't change it necessarily. I'm just pointing out that we're paying for people to get a degree. So to begrudge a few beers out of 188 is ridiculous. These people are effectively having a lot of fun at great expense to the taxpayer. That's grand but people should be aware of it when they criticise people funded by the taxpayer for being on the dole.

You might think that drinking hard correlates positively with the best students but I'm going to have to disagree with you on that.

This is true. Also farmers getting government grants...
    Oh I wouldn't change it necessarily. I'm just pointing out that we're paying for people to get a degree. So to begrudge a few beers out of 188 is ridiculous. These people are effectively having a lot of fun at great expense to the taxpayer. That's grand but people should be aware of it when they criticise people funded by the taxpayer for being on the dole.

You might think that drinking hard correlates positively with the best students but I'm going to have to disagree with you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That's a benefit I didn't foresee, I'm in.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

melissak wrote: »
    This is true. Also farmers getting government grants...

Yep often by cooking the books. I don't have a huge problem with it but the taxpayer should take a look at what else they're funding.

I think it's all a matter of perspective. People are saying those out of work should be given a voucher. Should we not say the same for child benefit, should we introduce student loans and scrutinise how students spend their time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

melissak wrote: »
    and if I do say so myself my blackberry and apple cider is delightful.

prove it, send me a few bottles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

If Norris was so concerned about alcohol abuse,
    surely his first campaign should be to get the Dail bar closed.

The last I heard was that our overpaid bimbo's were racking up unpaid bills,at the taxpayers expence.

Have one on me folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

They would be well fattened on a diet of takeaways/beer and well preserved by all the smoking they do!

Advertisement