Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 brides!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

kildareash wrote: »

So I'm going to wait until I get the book, see how they look in that and what ones I really like in print and then just go for it. Print them, frame them and hang them all in the same day (along with the Christening pics!).

Lofty ambitions there kildareash!

Right well my photographer can make the album bigger for a price, so I'm just going to throw money at the problem. Disgraceful isn't it, I can't narrow 144 down to 80 for the sake of saving a few bob. But at this stage I just want to put this bad boy to bed, get my full resolution images, get my thank you cards printed and posted. Album by Xmas would be puuurfect for showing off to the rellies but what are chances they'll have it done by now when I've been so late getting back to them with the final selection. Hoping against hope!

can I ask - those who already received the soft copy of their photos- did you receive a mixture of colour and b+w?
    Did you ask for this?
    I didn't ask for this but it's what I received. A significant number of them are in b+w and I didn't get to choose which ones, the photographer did. When I asked for the colour versions of these I was told 10 euro per photo for that please?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

can I ask - those who already received the soft copy of their photos- did you receive a mixture of colour and b+w?
    Did you ask for this?
    I didn't ask for this but it's what I received. A significant number of them are in b+w and I didn't get to choose which ones, the photographer did. When I asked for the colour versions of these I was told 10 euro per photo for that please?!

We got photos in soft copy only 4 weeks to the day afterwards! Some were in b/w and colour even though we didn't ask. I think all the b/w ones were also in colour. I didn't mind, I was happy with the selection though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

Did you ask for this?

We didn't do an album now but that sounds a bit much. Is it written in yer contract.

Milly33 wrote: »
    We didn't do an album now but that sounds a bit much. Is it written in yer contract.

No, no mention of b+w or colour in the contract. No mention of the 10 euro per photo thing either.

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    . I think all the b/w ones were also in colour. .

That's definitely not the case with mine :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

When you say soft copy, what do you mean? We're still waiting on the USB stick with our pictures (bloody Canada Post!) but the online gallery has all of the photos in both black and white and colour.

I just asked my husband, who is a photographer, and he says there would be some work involved in editing photos to change the colours so he can understand there being some charge. But €10 per picture sounds insane to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Surely though if he's converted the image from colour to black and white he would still have the original unedited version? So i could understand a charge if you wanted colours changed to sepia or b&w, but I wouldn't be happy with an extra charge to see the original unedited version.

We had very few black and white, now that I think about it, but definitely had an original colour version of any there was

Actually yeah, my husband elaborated after I posted that most professional cameras take a picture in colour them convert it to black and white. So the photographers should have the original colour version that they could just dig out and send to you. The only work involved would be finding the images and sending them.

Faith wrote: »
    Actually yeah, my husband elaborated after I posted that most professional cameras take a picture in colour them convert it to black and white. So the photographers should have the original colour version that they could just dig out and send to you. The only work involved would be finding the images and sending them.

soft copy i mean electronically. The photographers sent me 500 photos electronically. Many of them are b+w and no, the colour versions of those photos are not there. I picked out about 25 of the b+w ones that I would prefer in colour, and I just assumed it was a case of send me the Original colour version as you say...but nope they're saying that as it's a few months after the wedding they have moved all the photos onto external storage. To get me what I want (the 25 colour photos) they have to make space on their computers, download all raw files again, apply edits to them again then pick out the individual listed photos and re-edit them. All this takes a lot of time hence 10 euro per photo.

It's outrageous especially as they know I'm trapped. They are effectively holding the colour versions of my photos hostage unless I hand over the cash. I can't take the b+w ones and go to someone else and ask them to change them to colour, only my photographer can give me the Original colour ones so either I pay up or else I do without.

I wish they had told me that many photos would be provided to me in b+w and not in colour!

• Advertisement

Hmm I wonder if I'd have a case for the small claims court?

Does it say anything in your contract, that either helps or hinders?

Do you want the images edited or would you settle for the raw images?

25 pictures is E250... That's outrageous. You've had a lot of problems with these photographers if I remember correctly?

You were saying last week you hadn't finalised your album yet? Are you printing this yourself or was it part of your package?

So they will have to be getting out the originals to print that?

I don't know Sticky, sounds like they are making a big deal of it. I'd say it's a regular enough request.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

We met with our photographer yesterday about the album. We originally went with a digital images only package and are now getting an album.

I am the opposite in that we only had a couple of b&w images. However i want a fully black & white album so the photographer will have to convert the images. He is not charging us extra for this.

Faith, this was the content of the contract:
    Photographers will provide coverage of the wedding at the hour
    and location designated. Additionally, the Photographers agree to
    deliver to the client in approximately 5 weeks a complete proof of
    the photography which will be available to view online in private
    album.
    C. The fee for the package selected is noted on the face of this form.
    Additional albums and prints, upgraded albums or associated
    products may be purchased from the Photographer’s price
    schedule in effect on the date of this agreement and that those
    prices are guaranteed for one year following the wedding. Orders
    placed after the one year anniversary of the wedding will be billed
    at the Photographer’s current prices. If any extras are ordered the
    day of agreement there is 20% discount for them.
    D. A non refundable deposit of 1/3 due amount which is ______€ is
    required to bind this agreement and book the date. The rest of 2/3
    due is payable 30 before the day of the wedding. Upon your
    signature, XXX will reserve the time and date agreed,
    and will not make other reservations for that time and date. For
    this reason, the Reservation Deposit is non‐ refundable, even if the
    date is changed or the wedding is cancelled for any reason;
    including acts of God, fire, strike and/or extreme weather.
    E. There is also an extra charge in amount of minimum 75 euro to
    cover the expenses for the accommodation and petrol if the
    wedding is in distance of more than 250 kilometers from Cork
    F. In the event that illness or other circumstance prevents the
    Photographers from providing these services, Photographers will
    attempt to arrange for substitute photographic coverage. If the
    Client chooses, they may decline any substitute coverage and
    receive a full refund of all moneys paid.
    G. In the event that The Client cancels the contracted services for
    wedding photography outlined in this contract before the wedding
    ceremony takes place, the deposit will be forfeit. The photographer
    agrees to refund all additional paid money to The Client.
    H. Because many variables essential in creating images are outside of
    the control of the Photographer, specific images cannot be
    guaranteed. Family and friends are welcome to photograph the
    wedding, however it is understood that they may not interfere with
    the Photographer’s duties.
    I. Prior to or during the event the Client may inform the
    Photographers of subjects which they would like to photographed,
    but the final content of the images is at the discretion of the
    Photographers.
    J. Photographers grant to the client to the license to make and use
    copies of the images for their personal use in electronic mail,
    personal web pages and the like. Commercial usage without
    permission of the photographer is prohibited. Digital files and
    photo albums will be provided to the client within approximately 8
    weeks from the date of the wedding. The Client grants to the
    Photographer permission to use any images taken for studio
    display, trade and association competition, or use in the promotion.
    K. The Photographers will maintain backup copies of the images in
    archive for a period of 1 year at which time the Client may request
    to buy all original files on CD/ DVD.
    L. There is 200 euro extra fee for every hour over the time showed in
    the package.
    M. This agreement sets forth the entire understanding of the Parties
    and the Parties agree to complete this agreement in good faith.
    Any modifications must be in writing and signed by all the Parties.

Ok this was the package I paid for which cost €2200:

-10 hours of attendance to your wedding
    -500 up to 550 photos after retouching
    -Presentation box including Custom USB & 30 prints
    -internet presentation
    -80 6”x8” photos in hand finished album or
    -up to 100 photos in exclusive photo book 12” x 12”

6 weeks + 1 day after the wedding they sent me 570 electronic low resolution photos. 218 of these were b+w. About 5 of those have the the colour equivalent also there (or something very similar) the other 213 the only version of that photo that I have is the b+w version.

Out of this 570 I have to pick 80-100 photos for the album, and 30 for the prints. They said in that email to get back to them within 1 month, which would have been 19th August. I'm only getting back to them with the selection now at end November.

(just double checked my figures) I asked for 29 out of those 218 b+w ones to be changed to colour as I'd prefer the colour versions. And they want 10 per photo for this.

When we met up before the wedding for coffee, they said verbally that they would stay til the 1st dance no matter how long it took (their contract says it's 200 per hour for any hour over the 10 hours) I told them the timetable of the day, and we agreed they'd come later in the morning than they usually would as I said I wasn't that pushed about bridal prep but really wanted to get the first dance in. So because of delays with the speeches etc they ended up staying up staying 1.5 hours extra (above the 10 hours) which they didn't charge me for.

On the day I gave them both their dinner, and my hotel was not cheap, and I took their vegetarian requests etc into account.

Once I've picked the album & print photos they will give me the high resolution versions of the 570 photos on a USB along with my finished album (but that will still have those 218 in b+w)

Faith, for those 29 I would settle for the raw images, but I've heard wedding photographers don't usually give these out.

kildareash yeah you're right they will have to get the originals out to make the ablum anyway, so at least part of what they said about makign room on their computers etc doesn't apply as they'd be digging out those shots anyway.

From what the rest of you have said, giving 213 of 577 images ONLY in b+w is excessive. Ahayes I can't believe your photographer isn't charging you to convert a whole album to b+w!

Faith yeah I sent them 1 email of complaint about not taking any defined family shots of bride, groom + bride's family or bride, groom + groom's family. In their reply they pointed out they'd stayed 1.5 hours extra and not charged me for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Ahayes I can't believe your photographer isn't charging you to convert a whole album to b+w!

Well because we haven't paid for the album as part of our package we are probably in a better negotiating position. Though i didn't even need to negotiate really as he was very accommodating.

With our photographer there was no extra discount for paying for the album in advance. He does 3 packages

1) Photographer & Album
    2)Photographer & Digital Files
    3) Photographer, Album & Digital files

Going for package 3 was no cheaper than going for package 2 and adding in the album afterwards.

Additionally, the Photographers agree to
    deliver to the client in approximately 5 weeks a complete proof of
    the photography which will be available to view online in private
    album.

A complete proof to me indicates that the pictures should be available in both colour and b&w. Otherwise it should read "our selection of photography". Now, I know they might have taken 2000 pictures on the day so they're obviously not going to provide everything, but I'd think it's reasonable to expect that they would provide both colour and b&w images of the ones they uploaded.

I double checked ours last night. Our photographers uploaded nearly 700 pictures in colour, and the same 700 in black & white. So 1,400 in total.

700 pictures????

I have no idea how many our photographer sent us, but it wasn't anywhere near that. Did they send you every shot he took?

No, nothing close! I'd say between the two photographers they took several thousand pictures. They were clicking away the whole time.

yeah I can't help but feel that if 40% of the images they supply me with are going to be in black and white only without the option to see or have the colour version of the same photo, that should have been mentioned to me at some stage.
    The whole colour/b+w thing was never mentioned so based on that I'd assume all photos I'm going to receive were going to be in colour

I mean a handful in b+w fair enough, especially if they weren't a great shot and looked way better in b+w, but 40% of them with no input from me as to which ones? Doesn't seem right.

• Advertisement

yeah I can't help but feel that if 40% of the images they supply me with are going to be in black and white only without the option to see or have the colour version of the same photo, that should have been mentioned to me at some stage.
    The whole colour/b+w thing was never mentioned so based on that I'd assume all photos I'm going to receive were going to be in colour

I mean a handful in b+w fair enough, especially if they weren't a great shot and looked way better in b+w, but 40% of them with no input from me as to which ones? Doesn't seem right.

Any update for us sticky? Have you been back to the photographers again?

Any update for us sticky? Have you been back to the photographers again?

No. Sigh.....
    I'm trying to decide what to do/say. I would totally take them to small claims court but if I do they will counter sue for the unpaid extra 1.5 hours they stayed at the wedding. According to the contract I signed they are allowed to charge 200 per hour, so that would be 300 euros for 1.5 hours and the money they're looking off me for the 29 colour photos is 290 so that cancels each other out. I might as well just bend over and accept that they are doing this to me. They've taken all the good out of my wedding photos/album.

Pr!cks :mad:

well nothing focuses the mind like anger.....
    1 silver lining. Out of a desire not to give those b@stards an extra cent more than I have to, I have managed to get the 144 photos down to 100 for the album Yaaaaayyy!!!

I had to do a RUTHLESS cull. Was really hard, especially the last 5 photos when I got down to 105!

Think I will get my own album done with a Groupon with all the shots that had to be taken out.

Think I will get my own album done with a Groupon with all the shots that had to be taken out.

Wait until you get the album. You might not even feel their missing when you see it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I finally got my mixbook photo book in the post today. I love it - it looks great and the print quality is good too.

nosietoes wrote: »
    I finally got my mixbook photo book in the post today. I love it - it looks great and the print quality is good too.

Enjoy! Can't wait to get my album....probalby be 2016 though so no showing it off at Xmas :-( Time ran away with me yet again!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

3 more days! Feel oddly calm, Hope I haven't forgotten anything!

jaja321 wrote:
    3 more days! Feel oddly calm, Hope I haven't forgotten anything!

Oh jaja...i'm so jealous. If I cld turn the clock back!

Enjoy the next few days. It really is a lovely time and try to take in as much as you can on the day. Best of luck :)

Our mixbook order arrived this morning aswell. Thanks for the recommendation noisetoes. Only got the small books through the letter box but I love them. Can't wait to see the bigger sized books tomorrow. I'll be waiting on the sorting office to open!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Oh jaja...i'm so jealous. If I cld turn the clock back!

Enjoy the next few days. It really is a lovely time and try to take in as much as you can on the day. Best of luck :)

Our mixbook order arrived this morning aswell. Thanks for the recommendation noisetoes. Only got the small books through the letter box but I love them. Can't wait to see the bigger sized books tomorrow. I'll be waiting on the sorting office to open!

How long did it take from ordering to delivery? Thinking of getting one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm going to get one too. I just have to find time to actually put the book together - I can see why photographers charge a lot for albums...it's a lot of work!

Advertisement