Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Off to see New Order today 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

RobFowl wrote: »
    You'll get this feeling you're in motion..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

You'll get this feeling you're in motion..

A sudden sense of liberty?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

A sudden sense of liberty?

They'll be afraid of what they'll see!!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Doc07

tigerboon wrote: »
    They'll be afraid of what they'll see!!

Is John Barnes joining them on stage for a rap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Doc07 wrote: »
    Is John Barnes joining them on stage for a rap.
    Jesus I would hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

koutoubia wrote: »
    Jesus I would hope not.

Pass and move, pass and move, it's the liverpool groove!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 flutehook

How did it feel?

flutehook wrote: »
    How did it feel?

Is that not depeche mode?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Blue Monday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Ah (personal) Jaysus

tigerboon wrote: »
    Blue Monday

Ruby Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭furiousox

No Hooky, no New Order. :D

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    No Hooky, no New Order. :D

Hooky is at UL next week for a Joy Division conference
    #nerdcentral

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just noticed my wedding ring is missing from my finger. I didn't think last evening's wind was that bad! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

So what was the gig like?

*Resisting temptation to ask how did it feel.........

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

An Italian town will pay people hundreds of euros per year if they cycle to work instead of using their cars.

The council in Massarosa, just north of Pisa, says the pilot scheme will see cyclists paid 25 cents per kilometre travelled, up to a monthly cap of 50 euros (£35), the regional Il Tirreno news website reports. That means commuters who switch to two wheels could pocket up to 600 euros (£424) in a year. It's said to be the first such scheme in Italy.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-34831650
    A similar scheme was introduced in France in 2014, with mixed results. While a six-month trial found that paying people to cycle to work did increase the numbers doing so, the majority had been using public transport, rather than private vehicles. Of those making the move from cars to bicycles, most had already been carpooling.

Robert Davis of the Road Danger Reduction Forum in the UK often claims that in the Netherlands cycling mostly soaks up journeys that would otherwise be made by public transport. Don't know how true that is.

Waited a long time to see them
    Thought the day would never come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just noticed my wedding ring is missing from my finger. I didn't think last evening's wind was that bad! :(

In a glove?

I once threw mine into a bin in a restaurant after I washed my hands and put the paper towel into the bin, the ring slipped off while drying it. Ran back in and grabbed it out, never told her why I had to rush back in.

I got it resized that same week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Robert Davis of the Road Danger Reduction Forum in the UK often claims that in the Netherlands cycling mostly soaks up journeys that would otherwise be made by public transport. Don't know how true that is.

Not at all would be my opinion. I know some people in college who made the move from public transport to bikes but after college, anyone I know who moved to cycling, the majority of times (and I mean greater than 95%), moved from car to bike. If they can't cycle one day, for whatever reason, they jump back in their cars, no second thoughts.

I realise mine is an opinion, but there seems to be nothing to validate his claim, at least in relation to Ireland.

ThisRegard wrote: »

I got it resized that same week.

Took mine of working one day, not long after I was married and left it on the shelf. Left the job later that week and forgot it. Searched everywhere, eventually gave in and ordered a replacement. Decided to call in a few days before it was ready, to my old job, and seen it after being missing for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    I realise mine is an opinion, but there seems to be nothing to validate his claim, at least in relation to Ireland.

No, to be fair, he never made the claim about Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dunno, the resistance to getting out of cars is strong. Consider that people continue to drive despite the fact that it's the slowest way of commuting, it means there are factors that cause people to drive which for many people outweigh the fact that it's a waste of time.

Probably simplicity and privacy, if I had to guess. That is, the fact that you can get into you car from outside your house and drive to work (or very close to it), while being warm and cocooned in the car.

People on public transport have already sacrificed both of these so they get to work quicker. So it stands to reason that if someone can get door-to-door faster on a bike than on public transport, they're going to switch. But the driver doesn't consider the time saving to be important, so they don't see any benefit to getting out of their car and onto the bike. If anything, they see the bike as more hassle.

So it makes sense to me.

What it means that incentivising cycling needs to be more focussed than just incentivising cycling. It needs to specifically make it more difficult or more costly to commute in the car. Simple things like increasing the car parking space levy to something like €500/year, and also charging employers €1000/year for each space, while providing grants and rebates to convert existing car parking spaces into bike bays.
    The councils also need to get more aggressive about bus corridors. Bus lanes are great, but the primary issue in Dublin is the pinch points where they have to join the main traffic. They should be aggressively changing these pinch-points such that they becomes bus gates during peak times and commuting traffic is forced onto a circular route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Many people live in areas not served by public transport, and given the lack of park and ride or car pooling, what alternative do they have?
    Punishing people for commuting to work is (imho) a bad step, especially when they have no viable alternative. I fear all it would do would be to anger, frustrate and alienate motorists even more.

IMHO focus should be put on providing more safe clean public transport alternatives to people before taxing them to oblivion.

Just curious, what sort of commute do you have seamus?

(FWIW I live approx 30 miles from the city centre and have commuted by bike/motorbike/car/train and bus at various times).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We're never going to succeed in significantly boosting the numbers cycling unless we stop scaremongering. It's hardly surprising that more people don't cycle if all they hear from state bodies is about how dangerous it allegedly is.

Just last week I had a conversation with a GP during which I mentioned I cycled to work most days. When I described my route, the doctor said it was very dangerous since there were long stretches with "no cycle lane" and pretty much chastised me for engaging in what she thought was such risky behaviour. That's what you're up against.

In my experience, most people don't need much convincing that cycling is often the quickest way in. They simply won't consider it because they're convinced they're taking their life in their own hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Am I mistaken in remembering that 'park-and-ride' carparks were originally envisaged as free, to get people to use public transport into the city?

Just last week I had a conversation with a GP during which I mentioned I cycled to work most days. When I described my route, the doctor said it was very dangerous since there were long stretches with "no cycle lane" and pretty much chastised me for engaging in what she thought was such risky behaviour. That's what you're up against.
    When your GP is discouraging you from cycling, it means its too late, this generation is gone.
    Am I mistaken in remembering that 'park-and-ride' carparks were originally envisaged as free, to get people to use public transport into the city?
    They were, good idea in that you commuted in the long distance by car and you could use the likes of LUAS or DB to get in the rest of the way. You could even have a bike in your boot (I done this with my SAAB quite a bit. Then for some reason they started charging in some. Not sure if they all are charging though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ThisRegard wrote: »
    In a glove?..
    No - first place I checked.

I'm hoping it's at home somewhere. When my fingers are cold, it gets very loose. (I keep meaning to get it resized as I'm 35kgs lighter now than when I got married 16 years ago).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

No - first place I checked.

I'm hoping it's at home somewhere. When my fingers are cold, it gets very loose. (I keep meaning to get it resized as I'm 35kgs lighter now than when I got married 16 years ago).

In the bed… under the bed, sitting up between the floorboards? (Use a torch.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement