Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

No. Loinsigh had horse's ears. Bojack is a horse. Pretty different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

No. Loinsigh had horse's ears. Bojack is a horse. Pretty different.

Na-a-a-a-ay. Bojack has the body of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Note to self... Make sure chain lube has a lid on it before shaking thoroughly

Another thick article in Irish Times: "At last, cyclists and motorists agree: cycling is dangerous" http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/at-last-cyclists-and-motorists-agree-cycling-is-dangerous-1.2422024

Reporter is squeaking about helmets and hi-viz within a couple of paragraphs; not a word about good cycling infrastructure.

Time for letters to the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Another thick article in Irish Times: "At last, cyclists and motorists agree: cycling is dangerous" http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/at-last-cyclists-and-motorists-agree-cycling-is-dangerous-1.2422024

Reporter is squeaking about helmets and hi-viz within a couple of paragraphs; not a word about good cycling infrastructure.

Time for letters to the paper.

idiot article, did he praise people in article before that for breaking speed limits.

• Advertisement

Anybody here cycle through Clonskeagh? One of those bike counter things on the cycle path at UCD. It's counted almost 300000 bikes going by it since Jan 1st. Problem is another 300000 didn't make it from the goat down due to pothole damage obtained in the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Anyone else using Veloviewer and losing km/metres in their YTD stats?

They've reduced my distance by about 500k and my metres climbed by about 11,000! :confused:

(Strava totals remain unchanged).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Anybody here cycle through Clonskeagh? One of those bike counter things on the cycle path at UCD. It's counted almost 300000 bikes going by it since Jan 1st. Problem is another 300000 didn't make it from the goat down due to pothole damage obtained in the cycle lane.

I pass that twice a day, I watch it click up as I pass, sometimes. It seems to detect my bike about two times in three, misses it the other times. I have never been able to figure out why.

On an unrelated note:

Et tu Guardian?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/nov/09/cyclists-urban-bikes-kamikaze-safety-pedestrians

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Fian wrote: »
    I pass that twice a day, I watch it click up as I pass, sometimes. It seems to detect my bike about two times in three, misses it the other times. I have never been able to figure out why.

On an unrelated note:

Et tu Guardian?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/nov/09/cyclists-urban-bikes-kamikaze-safety-pedestrians

My bike is often not detected by them, usually because I am not on the narrow strip at the edge, doesn't pick up anyone on the road or overtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Fair play to AGS

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Anyone else using Veloviewer and losing km/metres in their YTD stats?

They've reduced my distance by about 500k and my metres climbed by about 11,000! :confused:

(Strava totals remain unchanged).

You'll have to do that spin again

Going up by UCD this morning and as I'm taking off from a set of lights my dinner from last night was causing unpleasantness in my stomach so I thought I'd just let one rip, so I shift about the saddle and let one rightly go without thinking anything of it when I hear 'oh for **** sake' coming from behind me... Poor girl

put in complaint with council already about state of works and the path beside the new development.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Athletics, huh? Wada mess.

manafana wrote: »
    put in complaint with council already about state of works and the path beside the new development.

Good luck with that. Leinster Road's patches and potholes have been the burden of my song for at least two years now, and the council has taken no action. It's particularly dangerous when you're cycling on a rainy night and you crash into one of those seams or potholes concealed by puddles.

Meanwhile… bicycle music http://boingboing.net/2014/01/27/music-made-by-playing-a-bicycl.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Leinster Road's patches and potholes have been the burden of my song for at least two years now

"The Burden of My Song" would be a great title for a memoir by a self-pitying rock star.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This is a good point about town centres trying to compete with out-of-town retailers.
    Until now, bluntly, many traditional town centres such as Enfield, Walthamstow and Palmers Green were playing in the wrong game, trying to compete with out-of-town retailers on ease of access by car — a contest they can never win. The only way they can prosper is to play to their strengths; to compete on the quality of the shopping experience. By, for instance, turning an historic shopping street from a noisy, fume-filled traffic pipe into a pedestrian-friendly space. By turning a market place from a car park into somewhere you can sit and have a coffee.
    http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/andrew-gilligan-most-people-support-the-idea-of-a-more-cyclingfriendly-city-a3110236.html

Some other interesting points there too. Especially this:
    And if we’ve been guilty of anything, I think it’s been not making it clear enough that these schemes aren’t just for cyclists. Pedestrians sometimes feel overlooked in the battle for media and political attention. But most of those who gain from the street closures, pavement widenings and new public spaces will actually be pedestrians.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    This is a good point about town centres trying to compete with out-of-town retailers.

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/andrew-gilligan-most-people-support-the-idea-of-a-more-cyclingfriendly-city-a3110236.html

its true isn't it see it in some parts of west coast in states (by USA stnadards) plenty parking but in one place, then big long cyclist and walking areas and shops etc

If anyone who regularly cycles Leinster Road would like to add to requests for it to be resurfaced, now's the time and this is the place:

http://www.fixyourstreet.ie/reports/view/40538?s=e&full=1

• Advertisement

campbell flakemore has decided pro cycling isn't for him.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/11/campbell-flakemore-quits-cycling/

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sherlok

Maybe that's why everyone seems so anti bike in Australia - the introduction of the safety bicycle could change everything. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tomasrojo wrote: »

That's where I spent most of my youth, if they think Palmers Green is anti cycling they really should not come here. I was on the road on my BMX at national school age, they have huge parks and green space and drivers, in my memory, were very friendly. The A roads were the only danger but nearly all of them had tunnels underneath and parallel roads.

Admittedly it was the 80s so things may have changed slightly.

Incedentally, burden, in terms of song, means a recurring chorus:

If I had Maggie in the wood
    I'd surely give her something good
    If I had Maggie in the wood
    I'd keep her there till morning ♫♪♫

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Very happy I cycled to work this morning. It took me a whole five minutes longer than normal though due to traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

OBEDENTIA CIVIUM URBIS FELICITAS

Obedience of the Citizens (of the City) leads to Happiness

If everyone in Dublin could get their sh1t together that would be just great. I thought narcotics led to happiness, or at least good times but i'm getting old at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

A few of these going two abreast would be 'irritating' to say the least......

World's longest bike tops 117 feet, doesn't turn corners well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I see sagan got married this week. Is it a slovakian tradition to cut a timber log with a chainsaw in your wedding suit
    CTiffqkWIAAZcQe.jpg:large

Apologies: Apparently it is a tradition as the road to the brides house is "blocked" before the wedding and the groom must clear the road before the ceremony and he started of with a handsaw

ZCWB9E9.png

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Note to self:

"Try to remember to put shoes out of Charlie's reach"

368474.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement