Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

bilston wrote: »
    I don't think Toulon would be allowed to do that.

Tell that to Toulon. It very much depends on what's in a players contract.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Are there not international periods that clubs have no choice but to release players for?

I think it's only the extra ones that Ireland have (like the Christmas one) that the likes of Sexton needed a contract clause for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

They wouldn't be allowed to if a player is called up for games within international window
    Clubs/Provinces must release players during specific international periods

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Clubs can't refuse to release players during international windows thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Nah, he has to be released for the WR international window if the IRFU want him.

EDIT: Oh I see that's already been said multiple times!

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Are there not international periods that clubs have no choice but to release players for?

I think it's only the extra ones that Ireland have (like the Christmas one) that the likes of Sexton needed a contract clause for.

Yeah. I've looked it up again and he's not refusing to release them but he expects them to choose club over country. Also bangs on about getting compensation for players missing club matches.

http://www.the42.ie/mourad-boudjellal-top-14-club-country-2234616-Jul2015/

There's not much he can do really, other than moan, but the point remains if you're going to play for Toulon everything will be much easier for you if you have no plans to play for your country.

Yeah not surprised. I know many on here won't have seen him play this year - but he is going extremely well this season.

Yeah. I've looked it up again and he's not refusing to release them but he expects them to choose club over country. Also bangs on about getting compensation for players missing club matches.

http://www.the42.ie/mourad-boudjellal-top-14-club-country-2234616-Jul2015/

There's not much he can do really, other than moan, but the point remains if you're going to play for Toulon everything will be much easier for you if you have no plans to play for your country.

Boudjellal is a serial whinger.

awec wrote: »
    Boudjellal is a serial whinger.

I know. I'm still waiting to see what happens when Quade Cooper doesn't show up in the south of France in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭stadedublinois

There might be some form of exception this year. The first round of the Top 14 playoffs are the same weekend as the first tests and the final on the last weekend.

I would be disappointed if any player from my team decided to play summer internationals instead of Top 14 playoffs.

Edit: I see the conflicting dates are mentionned in that article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Will be watching this one in Argentina, with my argentine wife, on the sofa at 9am in the morning the day after my 40th birthday.

2 Possible outcomes.

Pissed off, with a hangover and the wife lording it over me all week.
    Over the moon, with a hangover, with the wife staring daggers at me all week, possible father in law issues.

I'll take option 2. All day.

Option 3: Drink straight through until the match
    If Ireland lose go sleep it off, if Ireland win follow your father in law around in your underpants giving him the finger and making bbbbllleeeeaaaauuuugghhhh noises

Yeah not surprised. I know many on here won't have seen him play this year - but he is going extremely well this season.

Slightly surprising given he wasn't in the extended training squad but I think at this point players who have played under Schmidt before in any capacity are probably ahead of any who haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Slightly surprising given he wasn't in the extended training squad but I think at this point players who have played under Schmidt before in any capacity are probably ahead of any who haven't.

Well the big loser would be Tuohy who has been regularly involved under Schmidt. They're the only two viable candidates really.

And, of course, McCarthy never played for Leinster under Joe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Will be watching this one in Argentina, with my argentine wife, on the sofa at 9am in the morning the day after my 40th birthday.

2 Possible outcomes.

Pissed off, with a hangover and the wife lording it over me all week.
    Over the moon, with a hangover, with the wife staring daggers at me all week, possible father in law issues.

I'll take option 2. All day.

I've been to Argentina. Parties don't start til at least midnight and go on all night! You won't have time to sober up enough to be hungover ;)

Well the big loser would be Tuohy who has been regularly involved under Schmidt. They're the only two viable candidates really.

And, of course, McCarthy never played for Leinster under Joe.

Eh... I'm pretty sure he had one season at Leinster under Joe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Eh... I'm pretty sure he had one season at Leinster under Joe?

How very dare you.

Nah, in Joe's last season he swapped between Browne and Toner as partner for Cullen. McCarthy arrived later.

McCarthy agreed to go to Leinster while Joe was still there but Joe was gone by the time he actually made the move. I think he's played under Joe for Ireland though, no?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

McCarthy agreed to go to Leinster while Joe was still there but Joe was gone by the time he actually made the move. I think he's played under Joe for Ireland though, no?

Autumn internationals last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah he's constantly been in he squads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This is our best chance to make a semi final but you're going in at 60% missing key players

1pm is an awkward time. The day will drag on if we lose and we will have to endure that terrible English premier league in pubs after

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

ireland seem to be fighting the SOB citing which means he either gets cleared or gets nailed ???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    This is our best chance to make a semi final but you're going in at 60% missing key players

1pm is an awkward time. The day will drag on if we lose and we will have to endure that terrible English premier league in pubs after

Optimistic as ever! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

aimee1 wrote: »
    ireland seem to be fighting the SOB citing which means he either gets cleared or gets nailed ???

Where did you see that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

.ak wrote: »
    Where did you see that?

Irish Times have an article on his defence that he was held off the ball and it was an open hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I hope they have more backup than the clip we've all seen - seems a stretch.

At least the independent adjudicator is from Australia. Nice and independent there :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

aimee1 wrote: »

Is not not pretty common to make a case that a yellow card may have been issued by the referee had he seen an incident instead of a red?

Perhaps I am wrong but I wouldn't have the impression that arguing your case makes a huge difference either way to the punishment, citing hearings seem to be a pretty balanced and measured process for the most part (almost like a civil case really) . After all a hearing must take place anyway so its not really like you are wasting anyones time.

If you look at the Hooper vs Argentina one the Aussies successfully argued he was held back and it was an open hand used (possibly even that the Argentinian was milking it) but he still got a 2 (1) week ban. There's no way O'Brien gets out of this without at least a week off.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Is not not pretty common to make a case that a yellow card may have been issued by the referee had he seen an incident instead of a red?

Perhaps I am wrong but I wouldn't have the impression that arguing your case makes a huge difference either way to the punishment, citing hearings seem to be a pretty balanced and measured process for the most part (almost like a civil case really) . After all a hearing must take place anyway so its not really like you are wasting anyones time.

They don't seem to like players taking the piss. If you are clearly wrong you would do better to just admit that and apologise. I'm pretty sure that's what the whole "good conduct during the hearing" thing is when they reduce bans.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

If you look at the Hooper vs Argentina one the Aussies successfully argued he was held back and it was an open hand used (possibly even that the Argentinian was milking it) but he still got a 2 (1) week ban. There's no way O'Brien gets out of this without at least a week off.

From Hoopers decision

"The actions of Sanchez while deliberate, illegal and an act of considerable provocation, do not allow for retaliation in an illegal way including striking the opponent"

So no matter what Pape did, provocation won't be taken into consideration

• Advertisement

From Hoopers decision

"The actions of Sanchez while deliberate, illegal and an act of considerable provocation, do not allow for retaliation in an illegal way including striking the opponent"

So no matter what Pape did, provocation won't be taken into consideration

It is taken into consideration.

If a player just randomly ran up to an opponent and punched them for no reason they'd get a much longer ban.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement