Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Murphy, Henry and Heaslip 6, 7 and 8. Keep henderson in the 2nd row. That way we get the power and breakdown work of henderson without sacrificing anyone at 6. Now we've in essence an extra carrier there in murphy. That leaves us with Best, McGrath?, Henderson, Henry, Murphy and Heaslip all good over the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thanos wrote: »
    How long after a match can a player be sited, is it 24 hours?

36 hours in the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If POC's hamstring ruptured, as seemed to be the case, I really doubt he'll be physically able to hang around at all - he spent last night in a hospital, which I think says it all.

McGrath to start ahead of Healy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gamma001

Only a warning for Pocock, strange one.

You never know we might be lucky regarding SOB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

I would agree not only has Healy not been playing great but his competition McGrath has been excellent.

Arguably, Pocock's 'act' was worse than SOB's. Unfortunately for SOB, I think his execution was probably better, and so he might not get away quite as leniently.
    David Pocock (Australia) - Citing Commissioner Warning

David Pocock (Australia) has received a Citing Commissioner Warning from independent Citing Commissioner Steve Hinds (New Zealand) for a breach of Law 10.4(a) during the Rugby World Cup 2015 Pool A match between Australia and Wales at Twickenham on Saturday, 10 October.

Under the Rugby World Cup 2015 disciplinary programme, a Citing Commissioner Warning equates to a yellow card for the purposes of sanction. A combination of three yellow cards or Citing Commissioner Warnings accumulated during the tournament will result in a hearing. Pocock is therefore free to play in Australia’s quarter-final against Scotland.
    http://www.worldrugby.org/news/111671

Under the same Law that the SOB incident would be looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Yep. Better in every facet of the game yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

If there is a concern over Healy's fitness he will be started and replaced rather than kept on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

gamma001 wrote: »
    Only a warning for Pocock, strange one.

You never know we might be lucky regarding SOB

Ireland (whole) 7 million inhab. 100 000 rugby players
    Australia 24 millions, 300 000 players
    Which team the IRB wishes to succeed? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

laugh wrote: »
    If there is a concern over Healy's fitness he will be started and replaced rather than kept on the bench.

The concern isn't just his fitness though, is it? He made a lot of mistakes and gave away a lot of penalties. He just seems to be not quite up to speed with the rest of the team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

connachta wrote: »
    Ireland (whole) 7 million inhab. 100 000 rugby players
    Australia 24 millions, 300 000 players
    Which team the IRB wishes to succeed? :rolleyes:

Maybe wait to see whether SOB is cited before we descend into conspiracy theory territory! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

The concern isn't just his fitness though, is it? He made a lot of mistakes and gave away a lot of penalties. He just seems to be not quite up to speed with the rest of the team.

How many penalties? How many mistakes? I'm not convinced. I remember one at the scrum on his side, maybe two. That happens, and is not always the fault of the prop. I thought some of his work clearing out, and his carries, was exemplary yesterday, I was very pleased with his performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭unce09f

somehow Schmidt trusts him anyway :rolleyes:

How many penalties? How many mistakes? I'm not convinced. I remember one at the scrum on his side, maybe two. That happens, and is not always the fault of the prop. I thought some of his work clearing out, and his carries, was exemplary yesterday, I was very pleased with his performance.

I don't know the exact numbers but there was a whole page of this thread yesterday of people yelling at him for giving away another penalty. So I'm not the only one of that opinion.

Credit to Henshaw, not only brilliant in attack but he nullified Bastaraud when defending at the 13 channel. Can't have been easy for either centre dealing with the constant changing in positions between attack and defence.

Arguably, Pocock's 'act' was worse than SOB's. Unfortunately for SOB, I think his execution was probably better, and so he might not get away quite as leniently.

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/111671

Under the same Law that the SOB incident would be looked at.

I don't understand this "warning" thing. They say it's the equivalent of a retrospective yellow card so how come O'Mahony got a yellow for the same thing Hooper got a one week suspension for?

I don't understand this "warning" thing. They say it's the equivalent of a retrospective yellow card so how come O'Mahony got a yellow for the same thing Hooper got a one week suspension for?

What Hooper did was considered more dangerous by the citing commissioner I guess. Thought they were largely similar but Hooper probably had a greater impact.

TBH, it all seems a bit inconsistent and I wonder is there a little bit of politics at play.

What Hooper did was considered more dangerous by the citing commissioner I guess. Thought they were largely similar but Hooper probably had a greater impact.

TBH, it all seems a bit inconsistent and I wonder is there a little bit of politics at play.

Hooper's did look worse, and he came in at speed, but technically it's the same law they've broken and they're always banging on about intention being irrelevant so yeah..... inconstancy is the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

one for the Munster boys, or anyone else for that matter - how good is Ryan ?
    would he be a good choice against Argentina ?,
    given the injury crisis, and my limited knowledge , is that he would rise to the occcasion and have the bulk , to do so - is my optimism right ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

It's such a sad end for Paul O'Connell. He's an Irish legend, a legend of the game full stop. A real leader. It was supposed to end with him leading us onto the field in the World Cup final, it's just a really sad ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

thebaz wrote: »
    given the injury crisis, and my limited knowledge , is that he would rise to the occcasion and have the bulk , to do so - is my optimism right ?
    I doubt he starts against Argentina, but he's a damn fine player. Not much between him and Toner I'd have thought.
    I suspect henderson and toner will start second row with Henry and Murphy/Ruddock in the back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Skylined.94

You got to remember that Ryan was a first choice starter along O'Connell before injury hit... he's dynamic, strong and will certainly leave it all on the pitch. Only problem might be match fitness due to the long lay off but, like Healy, you'll get a good 50/60 mins from him.

You got to remember that Ryan was a first choice starter along O'Connell before injury hit... he's dynamic, strong and will certainly leave it all on the pitch. Only problem might be match fitness due to the long lay off but, like Healy, you'll get a good 50/60 mins from him.

He hasn't really hit the same form he had in 2011 for a long time.

Is it weird that nobody has been called up to replace Payne yet? O'Mahony's injury was barely confirmed before we knew who was coming in to replace him.

I would assume, barring Naholo's uncle flying in from Fiji with his magic seaweed, O'Connell is out too, so there'll be another forward called up there.

Maybe they're waiting to see if Sexton is in or out for the weekend or permanently out? If he's out completely they'll call up a direct replacement, if he's only out for the QF it may affect who Joe calls in to replace Payne, although with Jackson and Madigan there I'm not sure calling up another 10 is necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Skylined.94

WarZ wrote: »
    He hasn't really hit the same form he had in 2011 for a long time.

True but Schmidt must have faith in his ability to have selected him in the squad so hopefully he can get back to somewhere near his best next weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I doubt he starts against Argentina, but he's a damn fine player. Not much between him and Toner I'd have thought.
    I suspect henderson and toner will start second row with Henry and Murphy/Ruddock in the back row.

if Ruddock is match fit, and back to his best he would be great , just not sure if he will be. Jordi hasn't be used , and where does he play, is he ready ?
    Henry I think will start , Henderson assured as ls Dev , both were immense yesterday, and Mr. ever reliable Jamie to take over the captaincy

True but Schmidt must have faith in his ability to have selected him in the squad so hopefully he can get back to somewhere near his best next weekend!

The more I think about it the more I think he won't be starting. Bringing in two new guys into the back row on top of another new guy in the second row and then a new guy (way off the level of Toner and Henderson it must be said) on the bench is probably a little bit too much change.

Heaslip knows Jordi and Henry well and Toner-Henderson looks to be coming to boil nicely. I think that will be the deciding factor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

8. Heaslip
    7. Henry
    6. Henderson
    5. Ryan
    4. Toner
    3. Ross
    2. Best
    1. McGrath

This is the best pack we have given all the injuries/forthcoming suspension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

if Ruddock is match fit, and back to his best he would be great , just not sure if he will be. Jordi hasn't be used , and where does he play, is he ready ?
    Henry I think will start , Henderson assured as ls Dev , both were immense yesterday, and Mr. ever reliable Jamie to take over the captaincy

Henry will come straight in for SOB, no issues there. Murphy has played all across the back row afaik so would be more than comfortable at 6. If Ruddock is ready to go I'd be inclined to start him at 6 as Murphy provides great cover off the bench.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement