Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

mfceiling wrote: »
    I've no idea what you posted on another thread.

You claimed we would be beaten by France. You've claimed we will be beaten by Argentina.
    You claimed that POC now can't lead us out for the final.

Do you see anything a bit stupid by your posts?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

case885 wrote: »
    Another area we'll miss POM, he was excellent in the lineout yesterday.

Murphy and Ruddock in particular are good in the air. Hopefully we shouldn't see too big a drop off from POM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

noway12345 wrote: »
    Hopefully just a one game ban.

Hopefully one or two more. One would be too light for that kind of a gratuitous punch. That kind of thuggery has to be stamped out firmly.

He should have gotten a red there and then, effectively missing the French game, and likely having a serious influence on the result. So one or two games, plus one for effectively having played a game he had no right to would be reasonable.

So two plus one for me, with no mercy on the basis that his team has likely benefitted from his transgression.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

No.

Okay...

By getting beaten by Argentina means that POC's torn hamstring stops him from leading us out in the final...which we're not in...because we were beaten by Argentina.

Think that's a fair assumption of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

10.4(a) Striking another Player with a
    hand, arm or fist
    LE – 2 weeks
    MR – 5 weeks
    TE – 8+ weeks
    52 week

Page 33: http://www.worldrugby.org/wr-resources/World_Rugby_Handbook/EN/pubData/source/files/Regulation17_1.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

He can be cited and just "warned" still though, correct?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I see Bosch has been cited too, so maybe they'll be less than full strength too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MJohnston wrote: »
    He can be cited and just "warned" still though, correct?

What seems to have been happening at this wc is that if the commissioner feels it's just a warning, that's what they issue. There is no citing meeting.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Okay...

By getting beaten by Argentina means that POC's torn hamstring stops him from leading us out in the final...which we're not in...because we were beaten by Argentina.

Think that's a fair assumption of it.

It's pretty simple really. I'll break it down into easy steps for you.

I thought France would beat us.
    I think Argentina will beat us.
    O'Connell was supposed to go out on a high like leading us out in a World Cup final.
    He's gone out with a torn hamstring.

That's not difficult to grasp is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I see Rudders is in.
    Right choice I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Not losing much with him, only worry would be match sharpness. He probably would have been in the panel if not for injury, great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Hopefully one or two more. One would be too light for that kind of a gratuitous punch. That kind of thuggery has to be stamped out firmly.

So two plus one for me, with no mercy on the basis that his team has likely benefitted from his transgression.

so Ireland won cause of this one punch - My mind boggles how people could wish for such severe retribution, it was silly , but thuggery no - thuggery is McCrae on O'Gara

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

10.4(a) Striking another Player with a
    hand, arm or fist
    LE – 2 weeks
    MR – 5 weeks
    TE – 8+ weeks
    52 week

Page 33: http://www.worldrugby.org/wr-resources/World_Rugby_Handbook/EN/pubData/source/files/Regulation17_1.pdf

So minimum punishment is 2 weeks, which means he would miss semi final too if we get there? Is that right?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

LaGlisse wrote: »
    So minimum punishment is 2 weeks, which means he would miss semi final too if we get there? Is that right?

Not necessarily, sometimes the citing commission take "good past record", lack of intention, and a sincere apology into account and reduce the minimum.

So it could be one week

Have to say, even though SOB deserves to be cited here, it's pretty shocking that Pocock has gotten away with a warning which is essentially nothing.

Have to say, even though SOB deserves to be cited here, it's pretty shocking that Pocock has gotten away with a warning which is essentially nothing.

Does being provoked count for anything I wonder? If so the O'Brien might get off lighter than he should have.

Does being provoked count for anything I wonder? If so the O'Brien might get off lighter than he should have.

How can you prove it though? We've all seen the video. It looks like Pape is hardly touching him. He doesn't appear to say anything either. So it's O'Brien's word against his.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭Augme

I would said this is the reason SOB is pretty ****'d. Poocock was blatantly being held and impeded from getting away. It looked as if SOB just turned around and smacked Pape for no reason.

How can you prove it though? We've all seen the video. It looks like Pape is hardly touching him. He doesn't appear to say anything either. So it's O'Brien's word against his.

It looks like Pape was sticking his fingers in the side of O'Brien? Was any reason given for letting Pocock off I wonder, I think they're more lenient when players have been provoked although I don't think they can just say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Baldwin clearly grabbed Pocock and wouldn't let go, Pape tugged Sean's jersey a little bit. You can see why Pocock got off even if he gave Baldwin a good smack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Thus far in World Cup of the sides that have progressed to the Q/Finals it seemed Wales were only side really badly hit by injuries IMO.
    We can be added to that list now.The players who came on and rose to the demands of the French challenge will be good enough to see off Argentina.I just fear that the absence in particular of PO'M who was playing superbly will tell against our possible semi final opponents.
    Hope its not a situation like post 2002 soccer World Cup where an argument could have been made that an Irish side with Roy Keane in it might just have gone all the way with a bit of luck.

Baldwin clearly grabbed Pocock and wouldn't let go, Pape tugged Sean's jersey a little bit. You can see why Pocock got off even if he gave Baldwin a good smack.

I think he Pape tickled him. I think that should be enough to get O'Brien off. In fact Pape should get banned for tickling, the freak.

It looks like Pape was sticking his fingers in the side of O'Brien? Was any reason given for letting Pocock off I wonder, I think they're more lenient when players have been provoked although I don't think they can just say it.

Looking at the video it's fairly hard to say whether he's just holding O'Brien's shirt, if he's digging into his skin or if he's just brushing past him. Unless O'Brien has physical marks to prove Pape was physically touching him, or the citing commissioners have extra footage that make it clearer I don't think you can prove anything from the TV clips we've seen.

Personally I think it'll come down to them deciding whether it's a closed fist or not. Hooper was cited back in the RC for striking but they decided it was an open hand and he got 1 week. That's the best possible scenario for O'Brien, I think, unless, as I said, they've got hard evidence of Pape doing something. Even then though you can't argue that O'Brien hit him and it will again come down to closed fist or open hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

wats with the delay in replacing Payne, surely tey will call up Trimble now, the sooner the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Henwin wrote: »
    wats with the delay in replacing Payne, surely tey will call up Trimble now, the sooner the better

they said on saturday they are waiting until after the france game to decide based on any further injuries.

Guess the SOB citing and Sexton's groin mean tomorrow will be when we hear any more

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Whoever replaces Payne won't be involved this weekend so there's no rush really I guess. Ruddock is likely to be involved if SOB is banned so they probably wanted to get him in as soon as they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Whoever replaces Payne won't be involved this weekend so there's no rush really I guess. Ruddock is likely to be involved if SOB is banned so they probably wanted to get him in as soon as they could.

Ruddock flies to wales this evening according to fm104 news

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

aimee1 wrote: »
    Ruddock flies to wales this evening according to fm104 news

Yeah well Payne would have been stood down on Friday so they can probably just make Ruddock the replacement for Payne and have him training tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ken76

Can I ask something about citings in regards to Bosch for Argentina. As he already got a yellow for the tackle does that lessen his chances of being suspended for the Ireland game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

ken76 wrote: »
    Can I ask something about citings in regards to Bosch for Argentina. As he already got a yellow for the tackle does that lessen his chances if being suspended for the Ireland game?

No it shouldn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement