Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Went down to Gort last night to see if I could pickup a few weanlings. I was looking for light enough 250-300kg lads to add to my own bunch of spring born calves. I set myself a limit of €850 and got **** all. One neighbour sold 3 weanling, Nov-Dec born, 420-440 kgs and went for 1200-1300 each. Off with ye lads. Not a place to be buying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Went down to Gort last night to see if I could pickup a few weanlings. I was looking for light enough 250-300kg lads to add to my own bunch of spring born calves. I set myself a limit of €850 and got **** all. One neighbour sold 3 weanling, Nov-Dec born, 420-440 kgs and went for 1200-1300 each. Off with ye lads. Not a place to be buying anyway.
    Funny I always thought it was a bad place for selling those lighter type of stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Funny I always thought it was a bad place for selling those lighter type of stock!

There was few enough of them, and any nice ones at less than 250 kgs were going over 800. Some of these lads were May calves, mental prices. There's a reason lads are coming from as far away as Loughrea and passing out 2 marts to get to Gort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

There was few enough of them, and any nice ones at less than 250 kgs were going over 800. Some of these lads were May calves, mental prices. There's a reason lads are coming from as far away as Loughrea and passing out 2 marts to get to Gort.
    It's not the commission rate or the fast payment anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

The whole thing is utter madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

saranac1 wrote: »
    The whole thing is utter madness
    Not if you're selling. Most are lucky to cover their costs.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Robson99

Loughrea is hardly far away from Gort in fairness. 15/20 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Suckler guys must be happy this year of all years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Willfarman wrote: »
    Suckler guys must be happy this year of all years?

I averaged about 20 c a kilo more for my bulls last year. Heifers around the same for both years. Happy enough I've nearly got the farm working right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭High bike

Was'nt there myself but was tol weanlings only made 400 over the weight today in sixmilebridge

• Advertisement

Miname wrote: »
    I averaged about 20 c a kilo more for my bulls last year. Heifers around the same for both years. Happy enough I've nearly got the farm working right.

What month do you sell in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Willfarman wrote: »
    What month do you sell in?
    April/ May and September I've a small batch il hold until end of January this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭wiilow74

Hoping to bring a few Friesian bullocks to mart next weekend , they are approx. 400kg born Feb/Mar 2014 , usually go to Roscrea mart now as Birr hasn't had great prices for me before , anyone know what kind of prices they are getting there in Roscrea at the moment ? TIA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Heard the prices had dropped in Ballinasloe mart during the week. Is this reflected country wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭White Clover

restive wrote: »
    Heard the prices had dropped in Ballinasloe mart during the week. Is this reflected country wide.

Heard the opposite in the south. Apparently great prices in kanturk yesterday. Think Sam Kade goes there. Maybe he could confirm ??

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

degetme wrote: »
    What are fresain bullocks making in the mart these days? Spring 2014 born. No movements. Around 480 kilos at a guess. Here is a pic taken few months ago

Sold a few of these Monday last. Nice square ones weighed 567kilos and made 965
    More leggy type lads weighed 533kilos and made 915

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Sounds about right at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭orm0nd

drew bullocks from Ennis mart last night for a fellow

lm 515 kgs €1290
    ch 530kgs €1330

quality stock personally didnt count them dear

he said heavy bullocks over 700 kgs were a tough trade & left nothing for last 6 weeks

huge entry of cull cows

orm0nd wrote: »
    drew bullocks from Ennis mart last night for a fellow

lm 515 kgs €1290
    ch 530kgs €1330

quality stock personally didnt count them dear

he said heavy bullocks over 700 kgs were a tough trade & left nothing for last 6 weeks

huge entry of cull cows

The over 650kg mark took a fierce hit at start of August and haven't recovered. I'd bet there were nicr ch cattle that weight only getting a fraction more than the ones you delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭White Clover

They were a great weight. Fair play.

• Advertisement

What age were they?

Went to Gort last night. First time there. Saw a BB weanling bull, 380Kg make €1230, right down to narrow Friesians at 230Kg for €350. Most continental types around 350Kg made from 800 to 900 depending on quality.
    Special Heifer replacement sale. Mostly red Limousins, a lot very wild. Anything shapey sold well. Not overly impressed with the sale to be honest. Most looked too beefy, for my liking.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Went to Gort last night. First time there. Saw a BB weanling bull, 380Kg make €1230, right down to narrow Friesians at 230Kg for €350. Most continental types around 350Kg made from 800 to 900 depending on quality.
    Special Heifer replacement sale. Mostly red Limousins, a lot very wild. Anything shapey sold well. Not overly impressed with the sale to be honest. Most looked too beefy, for my liking.

Any older weanlings 11mts around the 400kg. I've a chx off a limo cow that had no milk and I bought and him put on replacer. Came on mighty since July. Going to mart tomorrow anyway to see will he make 850.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

What age were they?

End of Jan/early Feb 2014

Any older weanlings 11mts around the 400kg. I've a chx off a limo cow that had no milk and I bought and him put on replacer. Came on mighty since July. Going to mart tomorrow anyway to see will he make 850.

If he a bit of shape surely make 900 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

What money were the limousins making? Been buying them 400kg 1100. €2.75/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Elphin Mart have a new website with sale reports, it may be of interest. See http://www.elphinmart.ie/category/reports/

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭wiilow74

Any idea what Friesian bullocks (average weight 500kg , born Spring 2014) are making at the moment ?

J DEERE wrote: »
    What money were the limousins making? Been buying them 400kg 1100. €2.75/kg
    That would be about right, I'd say. You know yourself, it all depends on quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭grange mac

Skibbereen Mart had serious prices today. Quality weanlings making €3 kg and upwards. How can guy buying 250kg charlaois make money when buying at €820?? Guess prices not dropped down this side

Advertisement