Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is England '90 in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think we're gonna find out

It feels like some drama (not as in confrontation necessarily, but drama as in dramatic) between Combo and Milky would be a fitting end to the series, but there's the slow downward spiral of Lol's younger sister as well. Meadows could be using Combo's return as something of a red herring to throw us off the scent of where he's really going with the last two episodes.

Hopefully it'll be something big anyway to end on. Meadows has said in this VICE interview that it's the last series of TiE he plans to do for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Sunday cant come quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

I studied TIE in college and it was a pleasure. I have never felt so emotionally connected with a set of characters in anything I've watched on tv. Meadows has the ability to make you care about characters, that I never thought I would. I can't wait for Combo to come back, he was such an amazing actor, and what he did for Lol was just wonderful. I hope Milky doesn't kill or murder him I'd hate him to become a violent person, and be in prison for the ending of the series.

As a victim of rape I have to say the way he dealt with the scenes was brilliant. The way in wish he captured the vacant/scared looks of Lol Kelly and Trev during does horrendous scenes, summed up how I felt. The fear Lol and Kellys dad was able to instil in me was scary. BUT those scenes from the 86 scenes brought back memories I had surpressed and I have since gone for counselling and am not training to be a volunteer at the rape crisis centre. Too often these scenes are written and the brushed over much to quickly. Meadows is a supreme and wonderful talent as are all the cast and crew. Ill really miss it. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

spud82 wrote: »
    I have never felt so emotionally connected with a set of characters in anything I've watched on tv. (

to be honest i feel nothing nothing for any of them...they're all unlikeable ...a bunch of low life wasters

(good TV drama though)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

So what's going to happen in the penultimate episode tonight? Milky and Combo to have set to? Kelly's ascent into depression to sink lower? Shaun to spiral out of control?

Judging my Vicky McClure's Tweet the levity and optimism of earlier episodes are going to be left in the dust...

https://twitter.com/Vicky_McClure/status/648099210806591489

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

philstar wrote: »
    to be honest i feel nothing nothing for any of them...they're all unlikeable ...a bunch of low life wasters

(good TV drama though)

i love them all so much that i hate you now. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

So what's going to happen in the penultimate episode tonight? Milky and Combo to have set to? Kelly's ascent into depression to sink lower? Shaun to spiral out of control?

Judging my Vicky McClure's Tweet the levity and optimism of earlier episodes are going to be left in the dust...

https://twitter.com/Vicky_McClure/status/648099210806591489
    great tweet

milky was training for a fight in the first promo, and in real life he's pretty nifty at mixed martial arts..has to be him!

also using a season per episode is a touch of class there by the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

It's actually like I'm sitting at that table. Incredible acting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Truly amazing scene and acting but ya can't have 15 minutes of pure intensity. Give us a breather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Truly amazing scene and acting but ya can't have 15 minutes of pure intensity. Give us a breather.

Yup, indulging themselves a bit this series

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

That is one of the greatest scenes in the history of television .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Wow, just amazing. Best scene Andrew Shim has had since the actual film.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Powerful scene, that.

Fcuking hell Milky what are you after getting yourself in to!

Looks like Milky is going to get his revenge. It's interesting that Shaun seemed very forgiving of Combo, have they met since that night he battered Milky?

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Looks like Milky is going to get his revenge. It's interesting that Shaun seemed very forgiving of Combo, have they met since that night he battered Milky?

Yeah, Combo fell through the door at Shauns mothers house in '86. Iirc he stayed with them briefly.

Ah! I remember vaguely now. Will have to watch the whole series again after next week.

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Ah! I remember vaguely now. Will have to watch the whole series again after next week.

I'm looking forward to picking up the box set

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Yeah, Combo fell through the door at Shauns mothers house in '86. Iirc he stayed with them briefly.

He didn't meet Milky though. Combos mum died so he went to see her with Sean and Smell I think, and than he went to see Lol, where he walked in on what had happened with her dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Sunday evening light entertainment at its very best.

• Advertisement

spud82 wrote: »
    He didn't meet Milky though. Combos mum died so he went to see her with Sean and Smell I think, and than he went to see Lol, where he walked in on what had happened with her dad.

No, I'm fairly sure they haven't crossed paths since the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

From the unreal intensity of the table scene to the wtf do you mean I'm Scottish humour. This is building up nicely to a big finale. I didn't think 4 episodes would be enough but not now. Far too many people know about the big secret for this to end in anything other than tragedy.

It's been mentioned above but if you like Shane Meadows give Dead Mans Shoes a go - one of my favourite all time films with an unreal performance by Paddy Considine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Loving the series so far, that dinner scene was some powerful stuff and the acting from all involved was top notch, especially Andrew Shim as Milky (I think it's a little too obvious that Milky will kill Combo, I think Shane Meadows will serve us) but the tension that will build to their confrontation will be something else.

I think will see a downbeat ending for either Kelly or Gadget, I do think we will see love sick Gadget (who's been chasing Kelly since TIE 86) getting hooked on Heroin and I do think he OD and die, I think Kelly dying would be too obvious, It would be more hard hitting loveable Gadget dying.

But TIE series has kept up the high quality of the film and can't wait for that full length episode next Sunday.

griffin100 wrote: »
    From the unreal intensity of the table scene to the wtf do you mean I'm Scottish humour. This is building up nicely to a big finale. I didn't think 4 episodes would be enough but not now. Far too many people know about the big secret for this to end in anything other than tragedy.

It's been mentioned above but if you like Shane Meadows give Dead Mans Shoes a go - one of my favourite all time films with an unreal performance by Paddy Considine.

Another film with a even better Considine performance is A Room for Romeo Brass, with a young Andrew Shim and Vicky McClure in it. Probably my favourite along with DMS as Meadow's best film. It's a perfect example of how Meadow's can turn a film from a easy going laugh a minute into a tense dark drama.

One of the best directors out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

Oh my heart is broken in about sixteen different places at once. From the first sight of terrifying Mick you knew this was going somewhere bad...the dinner scene was incredibly uncomfortable but full marks go to previously underused Katherine Blyton as Lol's mum and Danielle Watson (Trev) for being remarkable in that scene.

It's hard to be angry at Kelly, she's been through so much and she's making wrong decisions but how can she begin to comprehend any of it?

I think we could be heading for a big confrontation between the young 'uns (Harvey, Gadget, and Kell) who have heard only Kelly's side of the story, and Lol, Wood, and Combo, with Milky's problems thrown in. Just please let things end ok!

(Hat tip to all who mentioned Dead Man's Shoes and Romeo Brass, Paddy Considine is just wow)

Just please let things end ok!

This is definitely not going to be the case!

phatkev wrote: »
    This is definitely not going to be the case!

I think it be depressing but I see it ending with Shaun moving out of town (seen as it's based on Meadow's life) after the wedding of Woody/Lol. I can't see Meadow's letting the show go out on a downbeat note for these beloved characters. But do expect a death in the last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Much much better this week after a lot of scene setting the last couple. Not aimed at posters on here but dunno what the **** the people giving out about it expect from it to be honest. What the **** is Milky planning and who is he planning it with?Thought he was arranging someone to do something round at the house when he was saying Lisa was with him but told them he loved them at the end of the call? Lol, Woody and the other nipper obviously gonna get caught up in it, can see next week being very dark.....

Just one nagging bone to pick, surely Mick's rape of Trev and attempted rape of Lol would have been used in court as part of the mitigation on Combo's manslaughter charge? Didn't seem true that Kelly or the rest would have been totally in the dark to it?

Did Woody call the nurse Helen in the dinner scene? That's her real name, she's called Evelyn in the show. Might have heard it wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭briany

The dinner table scene was absolutely devastating. Acting doesn't get any better than that for me. It was in fact so good that the rest of the episode just felt a wee bit flat, even the Combo reunion.

I think that Milky should look to forgive Combo. He's not thinking clearly here. What if he gets locked up in connection with Combo's murder? He'll be without his daughter, and her without him. And it was a savage beating that Combo dished out, and it was probably lucky he didn't kill Milky but I don't think he ever truly intended to either, as it was never Milky he hated but his own tortuous upbringing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm assuming Milky has lined up his mum or similar to run away with the kid?

Advertisement