Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 22 - Europe vs USA (McGregor & Faber coaching)**Contains Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Conor hardly there according to TJ
    https://youtu.be/fenNv6LdUxA

He admitted so himself. He said he didn't want to do the show when it became apparent there was no coaches fight at the end (it was originally supposed to be Conor v Mendes) and that he made it quite clear he was only doing it now for Artem. He said at a media scrum (I'm paraphrasing) "I was there who I was said I was going to be there for, my team-mate".

• Site Banned Posts: 65 ✭✭Trabejo

Pretty big insult to Dana and the UFC. The guy should have the decency to pass on his wisdom to young up and coming fighters. I thought MMA was a lifestyle and that he respected everyone who take that journey? Seems like money went to his head.

Hopefully he doesn't flip over any more tables full of drinks in Pygmalion now that he is back in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

What he said was that he was there to prepare them for the actual fights and get them in the right frame of mind for the fights and fighting in the UFC.

He also said that there was no point in teaching the guys new techniques given the short format of the show, that they would be better off sticking to the techniques that got them there. He said that because the guys have already fought to get in the show and that there was a quick turnaround between fights, the key is to train smart and keep the body fresh and that he trusts his coaching team to do that.

Here's an article that sums it up well:
    http://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-ultimate-fighter/story/ufc-conor-mcgregor-ultimate-fighter-doesn-t-plan-to-actually-train-his-fighters-on-tuf-090715

Seems to me that he wants to focus on the mental side of it rather than the technical training. In fairness, having a guy as mentally strong as McGregor focusing on helping you with that would have to be of benefit to his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,407 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

2hz5uv6.jpg

Looks like it's starting on Wednesday night/Thursday morning

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Perfect I'm in work early Thursday so I can watch this on the bus on fight pass!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

2hz5uv6.jpg

Looks like it's starting on Wednesday night/Thursday morning

:)

It's on bt Thursday at 10 o clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Setanta Ireland showing it Thursday at 10pm also.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

3e have it on next week too, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No sign of it over here. bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Pretty big insult to Dana and the UFC. The guy should have the decency to pass on his wisdom to young up and coming fighters. I thought MMA was a lifestyle and that he respected everyone who take that journey? Seems like money went to his head.

Hopefully he doesn't flip over any more tables full of drinks in Pygmalion now that he is back in Dublin.

Prize fighting in all about making money. Ideally you make as much as possible while you can and get out taking as little damage as possible.

Its not a fantasy martial arts journey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Prize fighting in all about making money. Ideally you make as much as possible while you can and get out taking as little damage as possible.

He's getting paid to be a coach though, he should be there or else not take the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

He's getting paid to be a coach though, he should be there or else not take the job.

That might be his title on the show, but he's getting paid because he will bring in big ratings consistently, something that TUF has been crying out for, for years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Yet in boxing circles Mayweather gets abuse for it which i dont understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

John_D80 wrote: »
    That might be his title on the show, but he's getting paid because he will bring in big ratings consistently, something that TUF has been crying out for, for years now.

Ya, you can do both though. Take Chael in Brazil as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

If someone was to pay you for a job you didn't want to do regardless of how well you did it, would you really be that motivated to put all your time and energy into it?

He is just coming off month and months of promotional obligations and training for a title fight. Then straight into TUFF which he admittedly has no interest in doing. Can you really blame the guy if he wanted to take his foot off the gas for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,407 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Given his ego as well, I'm sure he wanted to shy away from any responsibility for the outcomes of these guys.

If his team is successful, all well and good and he'll credit the coaching but from what he's said he's firmly crediting the individuals with their own wins/losses.

And if his team gets obliterated, he can stand back and say he was only there as a figurehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It really depends on how they decide to edit the show. If he’s there at a few sessions plus weigh ins, pre-fight game planning, and fights then they could make it look like he was around all the time. Alternatively they could cut it that the fighters are complaining and minimise showing the tape of him in those situations.

I’d say they’ll be somewhat wary of the stick Ronda got post show so they wont paint him in too bad a light. Either way though I don’t think it’ll phase Conor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What exactly happened with Rousey on the show, I've only heard bits and pieces that she grumpy or something?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What exactly happened with Rousey on the show, I've only heard bits and pieces that she grumpy or something?

She was grumpy but it was more that her hatred towards Tate came through constantly. She was both a poor loser and poor winner throughout the competition and was in the middle of several unnecessary flash points. Her actions were only made worse by Tate appearing pretty friendly to her during the show (though I think a lot of that was purely for the camera) and Ronda threw it back in her face repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Foxtrol wrote: »
    She was grumpy but it was more that her hatred towards Tate came through constantly. She was both a poor loser and poor winner throughout the competition and was in the middle of several unnecessary flash points. Her actions were only made worse by Tate appearing pretty friendly to her during the show (though I think a lot of that was purely for the camera) and Ronda threw it back in her face repeatedly.

This!...only watched it recently and ronda comes off as a total b-word the whole way through...firmly on team Tate since!

also, anyone know what time tonights episode airs at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Depp wrote: »
    This!...only watched it recently and ronda comes off as a total b-word the whole way through...firmly on team Tate since!

also, anyone know what time tonights episode airs at?

3 am Irish time.

I think UFC will be very careful with their editing this season. Most season has the coaches coming across bad and a lot complain about it. Conor is already a love/hate guy, I don't think ufc will want to offset that balance if the show puts him in a bad light.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Will this be available on Fight Pass in the morning lads? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Fxck me the first two elimination fights were very very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

What a joke. Artem without doubt won the first. I thought when they didn't bring it to a 3rd meant he had it in the bag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Enjoyed the first show overall, the fights were very good. Think the Europeans have the stronger team. Thought Artems fight could have went another round but he can have no complaints really, went for a slugfest with a bigger guy and a quicker striker.

stephenl15 wrote: »
    What a joke. Artem without doubt won the first. I thought when they didn't bring it to a 3rd meant he had it in the bag

For those that don't watch the preview of the next episode
    Looks like he'll get in the back door by allowing 1 fighter to come back who was knocked out. Not sure how that'll work with numbers though. I'd say that was 100% something that Conor demanded to keep going with the show. The europeans are already saying how good a coach he is, definitely getting a favorable edit already.

Overall good start to the season with some decent scraps and talent. It might just be me but there seemed to be less sob stories than I remember from other seasons. Wouldn't hold my breath though, there's a long season ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Not up on fight pass yet I'm disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Does anyone know when this will be up on fight pass?

I will watch this tonight, have not watched TUF since season 6.
    I saw a 3 min clip of faber and conor getting at each other with white in between.

if anyone saw this clip or didn't see it. go to the UFC website and click videos and watch it, maybe it's just me. near the end, conor asks faber to make an outside personal wager as to who would win in a fight, it's all a bit childish but ignore that and just really watch DANA Whites face and body language. you can see him pissed off big time with McGregor.. look at him tuning out staring into the air as if to say, "is this guy trying to make fights or promote something while on air." WTF>> he's vastly becoming too much here I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Great start to the season. Got up early this morning just to watch the first episode. Great fights and great banter between McGregor and Faber.

And oh my god, the only thing more impressive than 'THAT' heel hook, was the setup for that heel hook. Unbeleivable. Didn't spoiler tag that as I'm not mentioning names.

Can mods please clarify, whats the deal with spoiler tags? Are we okay to mention names/results etc in this thread without spoiler tags once the episode has aired? Cant rightly remember the rules

Advertisement