Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭tanko

Kerry have the only competant management team left in the championship judging by todays game. They have to be strong favourites now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

tanko wrote: »
    Kerry have the only competant management team left in the championship judging by todays game. They have to be strong favourites now.

if Mayo or Dublin play the way they did today in the final Kerry would beat either of them. that's a big if though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

This game will probably bring on Dublin as it has been their first serious test this summer.

Mayo will have to be absolutely brilliant next week. They may be able to do this but they will have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

if Mayo or Dublin play the way they did today in the final Kerry would beat either of them. that's a big if though.

Not if Kerry play the same way they did against Tyrone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

There's no All-Ireland in this Mayo team while they play in fits and starts. They seem to go through 10 minute cycles of brilliance and atrociousness. If they even played at an average tempo for seventy minutes they'd win an AI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

tanko wrote: »

Ten years from now, Fitzmaurice will be up there with Mick O'Dwyer, even if they both have radically different management styles. Micko, fire and brimstone, 30 laps at training, run all day, systems out the window. Fitzmaurice, cool and calm, analytical, different plan for each opponent, never gets flustered or excited like Micko.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

It was a thrilling finish, but at the same time a poor quality game overall. Lots of loose kicking, constant fouling, off the ball nastiness. It didn't live up to it's billing. Dublin should have a bit more discipline about them next week and close out the game better. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in their dressing room after the match, I'd say Gavin didn't hold back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Poor game overall but great intensity and a fantastic last 20 minutes. One thing that annoys me about Dublin though is their inability to tackle properly. They continue to foul when attempting to tackle by grabbing the player rather than trying to just slap the ball away. The amount of times they pull back a player moving away from them is very frustrating to watch.
    Overall I think both sides will feel they missed an opportunity yesterday. Both had a number of very poor wides so it's very hard to call the replay until we see what teams are named for Saturday. Presumably Dublin will try and appeal Connollys red card but I can't see how they can be successful there. Hopefully the replay won't be as cynical or nasty but that probably depends on the ref in the first 20 mins but that said I thought McQuillan did well in the circumstances yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

what are peoples opinions of the best 15 footballers so far in this years championship?

final changes alot normally but what players are nailed on the make it regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

what are peoples opinions of the best 15 footballers so far in this years championship?

final changes alot normally but what players are nailed on the make it regardless?

Donnchadh Walsh has to make one of the wing forward positions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Very few players will get all stars outside of the finalists. Oshea and possibly Harte are about the only two I see as strong non final favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jayop wrote: »
    Very few players will get all stars outside of the finalists. Oshea and possibly Harte are about the only two I see as strong non final favourites.

If O'Shea gets one but McManus doesn't we should all just give up now.

Yet again O'Shea has gotten praise far beyond his actual performances.

Ah stahp.i was at the Sligo game and it was one of the best performances I've seen. Add to that the goal against Donegal then he's nailed on at full forward. McManus was very good and is an excellent player but I'd argue that he wasn't outstanding in any single game leading to a big win. I'd argue on the balance of the year McCurry was better than McManus.

Totally agree.

In the match against Donegal he was being well marshalled to say the least until Durcan broke McGee's ribs, five minutes after which O'Shea got his goal. In the two Dublin games he was pretty much beaten out the gate.

Overall I would be hard pressed to call the full forward experiment with him anything other than a failure.

Nonsense. Dublin put three players on him and fouled him constantly resulting in pretty much all Mayo scores in the first half of the first game and plenty of scores in the rest of the games. Not his fault the balls into him were terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The really great forwards are able to manufacture something out of nothing, even with 2/3 men dragging out of them, if they so much as look at the ball. They are able to influence the game despite the tight marking, not use it as an excuse to be ineffective.

Using O'Shea in the new position was certainly interesting. Despite the outcome of the 2 games, I wouldn't go so far as to say that it was an outright failure, as you can't just manufacture a great forward overnight. It's something that Mayo need more time to refine. If it worked a treat against the likes of Sligo and a surprisingly flat Donegal, it may give a false impression of how much work needs to go into making the new system work against the really top teams. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do in next years league.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

1. Brendan Kealy - Default really. Cluxton has had a poor year. Morgan didn't have much to do due to his defence. Durcan made a couple of errors. While Kealy conceeded a lot early on, he really couldn't be faulted, and has made some top class saves since.
    2.Shane Enright - Been Kerry's rock in defence. Kept Brian Hurley, Alan Smith and Darren McCurry extremely quiet. Got on top in every battle.
    3. Rory O'Carroll - Solid in every game. Had to leave the first Mayo game early, and they missed him when things got tight in the end. Marshalled O'Connor and O'Shea well in the replay.
    4. Philly McMahon - Ferocious competitor, crosses the line frequently, but a talented footballer, with a knack for popping up with big scores.
    5. Jack McCaffrey - Phenomenal this year. Really come of age. Added defensive awareness to his already terrific attack. Dublin's best player this year for me.
    6 Cian O'Sullivan - Easily the best equipped player in the country to play the sweeper role. He's got pace, intelligence and physicality. He reads the game as well as any other player in the game, and adapts to the opposition attacking game plan with ease.
    7. Peter Harte - Another good year from Harte. Consistently a good performer, and was tied up a bit in the Semi-Final, but his attacking runs caused every team he played against difficulty. (Close call with Colm Boyle and Lee Keegan who both had strong years up until the Dublin replay; and Paul Murphy who has been superb for Kerry this year)
    8. Anthony Maher - Brilliantly intelligent. Super fielder. Great defensive awareness. Only poor game came after his introduction (when injured) against Cork in the first game where he was taken to the cleaners by O'Connor. Bounced back and has been unmarkable since. His footpassing is a joy to watch from a guy so lanky.
    9 David Moran - In line for a possible player of the year accolade. Dominates games around the middle. Has all the skills in the game, and along with Maher has been in scintillating form.
    10. Diarmuid O'Connor - Hugely impressed with him, especially in the last two games. Like his brother has the big game mentality and has an incredible attitude towards the game. Hard running caused every team he played against problems. A shoe in for YPOTY and a real star for the future.
    11. Ciarán Killkenny - Similar to Jack McCaffrey, he has really come of age this year, and brought his performance on from 2 years ago. Missed last year, but has come back a far better player. Cleverer in possession, and supremely accurate.
    12. Donnacha Walsh - Easy decision for me. The most consistent player in the country. Has exceptional footballing skill and a brain to match. Makes unselfish runs, to create space, is the best foot passer on the Kerry team apart from the Gooch, and creates many goal scoring opportunities for others. Tracks back all day, and will never give less than 100% out there.
    13. James O'Donoghue - Not been a vintage year for him in terms of scoring, but his willingness to get on the ball and set up attacks has been top class. His possession stats are in the top 5 in every game so far this year, and he has taken on the workhorse role with ease.
    14. Bernard Brogan - Year in year out, this guy has it. Irrespective of what quality of ball he gets, or how tight the marking is, he scores. He is still Dublin's most vital componant, a guy who regardless of the opposition brings it, and if he doesn't score the vital scores, he sets them up. He's not Dublin's focal point any more, he doesn't get all the ball, but he still has racked up 6-19.
    15. Conor McManus - Another guy like Brogan who can score spectacular points and influence a game, regardless of the quality of ball or how tightly he is marked. A joy to watch, and his Ulster Final performance was spectacular. Needs support if Monaghan are going to progress.

I may have forgot someone totally obvious, but in my unlucky pile I have:
    Keegan, Boyle, Higgins, O'Shea (x2), O'Connor - -Mayo
    Murphy, O'Mahoney, Cooper - Kerry
    Connolly, Cooper - Dublin
    Gallagher, Murphy (for his Galway performance alone) - Donegal
    Bradley, McNabb - Tyrone

I Finished with 6 - Kerry, 6 - Dublin, 1 - Mayo, 1 - Monaghan, 1- Tyrone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Good team. I'd have Keegan in there, think he's brilliant, Connolly also unlucky. Lots could change, good performances in the final could even bring guys like Fenton or Andrews into the mix, both have been consistent but were brilliant on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

Sean Quigley surely worth a mention. I'd have him in the team as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Jayop wrote: »
    Ah stahp.i was at the Sligo game and it was one of the best performances I've seen. Add to that the goal against Donegal then he's nailed on at full forward. McManus was very good and is an excellent player but I'd argue that he wasn't outstanding in any single game leading to a big win. I'd argue on the balance of the year McCurry was better than McManus.

McManus was MOTM in the Ulster final, scoring three from play off Neil McGee in a defensive, low-scoring game. That's an outstanding performance leading to a big win in my book. Was also MOTM in a tight game against Cavan.

Monaghan going out in the quarters could have harmed his chances, but apart from Brogan I don't think many of the main candidates in the full forward line have been overly impressive since the quarters. Of course the final can swing things greatly but at this stage I'd be shocked if McManus wasn't selected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I would have a category for sub of the year.......
    No awards for guessing who would win it this year, and last year and the year before that etc....
    Him and his fcuking goals coming from nothing.

He looks like he should be eating a stack of spare ribs sitting by a pool somewhere in Spain enjoying the holidays, yet he gets on the field and proceeds to run around like a headless chicken and still gets goals and points from nowhere.
    One of the finest super subs Ireland has ever produced.
    Kev mc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

kupus wrote: »
    I would have a category for sub of the year.......
    No awards for guessing who would win it this year, and last year and the year before that etc....
    Him and his fcuking goals coming from nothing.

He looks like he should be eating a stack of spare ribs sitting by a pool somewhere in Spain enjoying the holidays, yet he gets on the field and proceeds to run around like a headless chicken and still gets goals and points from nowhere.
    One of the finest super subs Ireland has ever produced.
    Kev mc.
    Barry John Keane and Paul Geaney not too shabby either.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

Good team. I'd have Keegan in there, think he's brilliant, Connolly also unlucky. Lots could change, good performances in the final could even bring guys like Fenton or Andrews into the mix, both have been consistent but were brilliant on Saturday.

His attempt at scoring a point yesterday when put clean through with Mayo leading by 4 would put him off any panel, not to mind an all stars panel. Any one of the Dublin half backs would be in my team before Keegan. That attempt at scoring was simply criminal ..............aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

wackokid wrote: »
    His attempt at scoring a point yesterday when put clean through with Mayo leading by 4 would put him off any panel, not to mind an all stars panel. Any one of the Dublin half backs would be in my team before Keegan. That attempt at scoring was simply criminal ..............aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Too much made of that point and its significance.

McCarthy got a hand to him just as he was about shoot. He was a tad unlucky.

Also, Dublin were still gonna come at Mayo even if it went over. Wouldn't hang Keegan out to dry on the back of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

keane2097 wrote: »
    Totally agree.

In the match against Donegal he was being well marshalled to say the least until Durcan broke McGee's ribs, five minutes after which O'Shea got his goal. In the two Dublin games he was pretty much beaten out the gate.

Overall I would be hard pressed to call the full forward experiment with him anything other than a failure.

A lot of that wasn't O'Sheas fault though.He got very little support from his team mates.

No point having a target man full forward and leaving him isolated for most of the game also the delivery into him was dreadful most of the time.

A lot of that wasn't O'Sheas fault though.He got very little support from his team mates.

No point having a target man full forward and leaving him isolated for most of the game also the delivery into him was dreadful most of the time.

It doesn't have to be his fault, it's about the team.

The fact of the matter is Mayo were arguably worse at midfield without O'Shea there and undoubtedly worse in the forward line with O'Shea trying to field terrible ball and Cillian O'Connor shunted out of the way to take frees and do donkey work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

corny wrote: »
    Too much made of that point and its significance.

McCarthy got a hand to him just as he was about shoot. He was a tad unlucky.

Also, Dublin were still gonna come at Mayo even if it went over. Wouldn't hang Keegan out to dry on the back of it.

I really don't get the fuss and bother about that point either. Do people really think that if he scored it, none of what happened later, or the three Dublin goals would have taken place. I certainly don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Hard not to argue with the "team of the year" posted above, but I can see Aidan O'Shea getting in at centre forward, with Kilkenny shifting to the wing and Diarmuid O'Connor making way, with the small consolation of the YFOTY award. Purely on the hype he generated in the media before the Dublin games.

Would also pick Ronan McNamee at full back, and maybe even Mattie Donnelly at midfield in place of Maher.

Hard not to argue with the "team of the year" posted above, but I can see Aidan O'Shea getting in at centre forward, with Kilkenny shifting to the wing and Diarmuid O'Connor making way, with the small consolation of the YFOTY award. Purely on the hype he generated in the media before the Dublin games.

Would also pick Ronan McNamee at full back, and maybe even Mattie Donnelly at midfield in place of Maher.

Donnelly was excellent this year but I don't see him getting in All-Star ahead of the lads mentioned above.

I'm dead serious about McCurry for a full forward shout though. He was just superb this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I'd strongly consider McCurry and Donnelly as well. Matter of time before McCurry is recognised as one of the elite inside forwards, classy footballer. Anthony Maher hasn't had a great year from what I've seen.

Advertisement