Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Didn't find yesterday as engrossing as some. Found it quite a frustrating watch in truth, mainly down to the conditions and partly down to some hideous refereeing, as an aside Deegan hit a fairly acurate kick out of his hands in the first half. Good ould technique.

Have to say I just never really felt that Tyrone had it in them to actually win it. I know they rallied near the end and played some really good stuff throughout but it just felt that Kerry always had that extra gear or Tyrone just didn't have that edge, or that level of ruthlessness. Think this may have been a year too early for them or something because the chances and the openings were there. They just failed at critical stages and you just can't miss them opportunities. The top teams certainly wouldn't be so profligate in the same situation.

Thought Colm Cavanagh was fantastic yesterday, I honestly can't remember ever being as impressed with him before. The entire half forward line of the kingdom were excellent too, some serious, serious graft needed doing and they all delivered. Geaney aswell had some impact.

I really don't know what to make of Niall Morgan aside from the fact he doesn't exactly lead himself to getting sympathy the way he goes on. He was hopeless yesterday, a dreadful performance under pressure. Some of the stuff, you wouldn't expect it from a reserve keeper. Wonder what the Tyrone crowd think of him long term and how he's done overall since he broke out during the league 2013.

Kerry march on to another final. T'was ever thus. Hopefully the Dubs in the final as I think that'd be the better game.
    Yeah, because Mayo v Kerry would be crap 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Kalyke wrote: »
    Yeah, because Mayo v Kerry would be crap 😒

It usually is.

I have to say I left Croker fuming (naturally) on Sunday. By the time I got to The Hogan Stand and had a pint in hand I had calmed and reflected with teh lads from Armagh and Tyrone I was with.

Overall I don't think there is any point in which you could say that Deegan was the reason Tyrone lost. He wasn't. They left some crucial scores out on the pitch and had the beating of Kerry.
    Sure there were some bad decisions, but over the course of the game they all (mostly) balanced out.

What I can't understand is why Tyrone kept going wide when the ease at which they countered through the middle and gave the HB all sorts of trouble.

The difference that Geaney made when he came on was something else.

Overall I'm encouraged by the Tyrone performance and I'm nailing them on to win Ulster next year. The experience will stand to them and sure enough if all pans out they'll have Mayo to deal with in the semi-final.
    ---

As regards the big one next week. I think both teams SHOULD have too much for Kerry but the Mayo yips could see Kerry take another handy one. :O

I'll be happy once whoever wins (what will be a classic next week) is All-Ireland champions by the end of it.

Can anyone explain why the Leinster champions are always in the second semi final?

Box-Office

Put the bigger game on second.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I really don't know what to make of Niall Morgan aside from the fact he doesn't exactly lead himself to getting sympathy the way he goes on. He was hopeless yesterday, a dreadful performance under pressure. Some of the stuff, you wouldn't expect it from a reserve keeper. Wonder what the Tyrone crowd think of him long term and how he's done overall since he broke out during the league 2013.

Morgan has always been like that though, I can't ever remember having any confidence in him either as a keeper or especially as a free kick taker. I thought maybe Harte was sticking with him a few years ago because he believed he would develop into a top keeper but it simply hasn't happened. When Morgan steps up for those long free kicks or 45's you would have no faith in him scoring them at all really. He might score, but might isn't good enough.

On another note, fair play to Mickey Harte this season. That Tyrone team still isn't close to the quality of the other big guns or to his earlier teams, but once again he got them to a semi-final and almost to the final. I could still argue that Tyrone need a change but you can't argue that Harte isn't getting the best he can out of quite a limited squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Box-Office

Put the bigger game on second.

I dont see how it being the second semi final makes any difference in that regard

• Advertisement

I dont see how it being the second semi final makes any difference in that regard

True it doesn't. It was an attempted explanation. :)

Always a pain for when I used to go to Electric Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Think I read somewhere that its done based on who has played their provincial final last. The Leinster final is played later than all the other ones, so the Leinster winners semi final (presuming that they win their quarter final) is always the second one. Couldn't be arsed turning on my Google machine to research if that is true, but there ya go.

I think its unfair that the Leinster champion, (or the winner of their quarter final & semi final) always have one week less to prepare for the AI final, than the winner of the Munster final, purely for scheduling reasons. Who plays in the first/second semi final should be alternated imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Think I read somewhere that its done based on who has played their provincial final last. The Leinster final is played later than all the other ones, so the Leinster winners semi final (presuming that they win their quarter final) is always the second one. Couldn't be arsed turning on my Google machine to research if that is true, but there ya go.

I think its unfair that the Leinster champion, (or the winner of their quarter final & semi final) always have one week less to prepare for the AI final, than the winner of the Munster final, purely for scheduling reasons. Who plays in the first/second semi final should be alternated imo.

Well I did and the Leinster championship is not always the last played

This year Connacht and Ulster were the last, Leinster was last year but not in 2013.
    It seems to alternate.

Munster always seems to be first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Well I did and the Leinster championship is not always the last played

This year Connacht and Ulster were the last, Leinster was last year but not in 2013.
    It seems to alternate.

Munster always seems to be first though.

Yeah dont remember Munster not being first.
    With that being said I cannot remember the last time Ulster was not on the last day either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭henke

jjdonegal wrote: »
    With that being said I cannot remember the last time Ulster was not on the last day either.
    2013 Tyrone Mayo as well as this year. Donegal Cork in 2012 too.

2010 was the last time Dublin played in the first semi but they came through the back door on that occasion.

1974 Dublin Cork is the last time the Leinster champions were fixed to play first. Since the Quarters came in the Leinster champions or the team who beats them have always been fixed to play in the second semi. Not sue why this is the case.

• Advertisement

henke wrote: »
    2013 Tyrone Mayo as well as this year. Donegal Cork in 2012 too.

2010 was the last time Dublin played in the first semi but they came through the back door on that occasion.

1974 Dublin Cork is the last time the Leinster champions were fixed to play first. Since the Quarters came in the Leinster champions or the team who beats them have always been fixed to play in the second semi. Not sue why this is the case.

That 2010 SF was technically Ulster v Munster

That 2010 SF was technically Ulster v Munster
    Yeah you are right and the Leinster champions that year (Kildare) played in the second Semi like all the other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

henke wrote: »
    Yeah you are right and the Leinster champions that year (Kildare) played in the second Semi like all the other years.

You're wrong, Louth won Leinster that year. Kildare came through the qualifiers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

My jaysis there's hand grenades being lobbed all over the place in this thread !! :P

Actually you are right Kildare did come through the qualifiers and beat the Leinster champions in the Quarter final :).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

jjdonegal wrote: »

Alway remember as munster first provincal final , ulster and connaught usally on the same day. Cant remember leinster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/de-valera-stood-against-nazis-by-helping-the-allies-31481553.html

Irish Independent 27/08/2015

Fans showed lack of respect

I left Croke Park last Sunday a proud Kerryman, but at half-time I had decided I would not be at the replay had the game ended in a draw.

I was disgusted by what I had witnessed. The booing from a group of Tyrone supporters just beside us was relentless from start to finish. The 'cheerleader' was a middle-aged man encouraging a group of young kids. What kind of example is this? These people should be privileged to see legends like Colm Cooper playing football in the flesh.

The word "respect" has been widely used by the GAA in the recent past, which has to be welcomed. Supporters and players alike should be encouraged to be respectful and stop this booing at games.

A trip to Thomond Park to witness the silence when a penalty is being taken would benefit these people.

GO Mainin
    Pairc, An Spideal, Co Na Gaillimhe

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/de-valera-stood-against-nazis-by-helping-the-allies-31481553.html

Irish Independent 27/08/2015

Fans showed lack of respect

I left Croke Park last Sunday a proud Kerryman, but at half-time I had decided I would not be at the replay had the game ended in a draw.

I was disgusted by what I had witnessed. The booing from a group of Tyrone supporters just beside us was relentless from start to finish. The 'cheerleader' was a middle-aged man encouraging a group of young kids. What kind of example is this? These people should be privileged to see legends like Colm Cooper playing football in the flesh.

The word "respect" has been widely used by the GAA in the recent past, which has to be welcomed. Supporters and players alike should be encouraged to be respectful and stop this booing at games.

A trip to Thomond Park to witness the silence when a penalty is being taken would benefit these people.

GO Mainin
    Pairc, An Spideal, Co Na Gaillimhe

Sweet Jesus it's hard to swallow your 'I'm a proud Kerryman and holier than thou spiel. You should have been standing beside me in Tralee one fine summer evening this year when your beloved Kerry minor footballers were playing the Cork minors. You should have heard the vitriol and abuse being hurled at 18 yr old boys in red jerseys by middle aged well dressed Kerry 'supporters'. I thought I had just stood in a bad place in front of a bunch of thicks so I went about 50 yards down the terrace and whaddya know, same story. Not the first time either that I have been forced to listen to these truly great Cooper admirers as you so lovingly describe your tribe.
    There are none so blind as those who don't wish to see and the whole of GAA Ireland knows how all of your ex Kerry footballers now media scribes left no stone unturned to discredit Tyrone in the weeks prior to the match. It worked too and even the three RTE analysts agreed on that after the game. The whole of GAA Ireland also know that Tyrone have never been forgiven by Kerry for '03, '05 and '08 and your letter to the indo is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

He's quoting a letter, its not his

Won't anybody think of the children!

Always found the Tyrone fans to be the worst, not surprised by a letter like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You have to laugh at the pomposity of this bit. :D
    These people should be privileged to see legends like Colm Cooper playing football in the flesh.

I've never had a problem with Tyrone supporters either here or up in Omagh, as Jim Gavin would say there's a certain "esprit du couer" between us . Booing is just a herd mentality - while it's not something I agree with it's certainly isn't something that would cause outrage - there's a vocal number on The Hill during the AI series that you don't hear during the league.

The one thing that gets my goat is supporters in the Cusack celebrating a goal against Dublin turning around and throwing up the 2 fingers .. WTF ?

I've given 3 "taps on the shoulder" in all my years - 1 to a fella that stood up and hit an aul fella with his program two rows ahead of me - 2 - to a group of 3 lads whose team was pulversing Dublin but saw fit to rub it in around parents and kids in an industrial manner and 3 was a proper straightener in the Hogan after numerous attempts asking a group to sit down and being told to effoff repeatedly ... none of those 3 instances involved northern teams ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

wackokid wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus it's hard to swallow your 'I'm a proud Kerryman and holier than thou spiel. You should have been standing beside me in Tralee one fine summer evening this year when your beloved Kerry minor footballers were playing the Cork minors. You should have heard the vitriol and abuse being hurled at 18 yr old boys in red jerseys by middle aged well dressed Kerry 'supporters'. I thought I had just stood in a bad place in front of a bunch of thicks so I went about 50 yards down the terrace and whaddya know, same story. Not the first time either that I have been forced to listen to these truly great Cooper admirers as you so lovingly describe your tribe.
    There are none so blind as those who don't wish to see and the whole of GAA Ireland knows how all of your ex Kerry footballers now media scribes left no stone unturned to discredit Tyrone in the weeks prior to the match. It worked too and even the three RTE analysts agreed on that after the game. The whole of GAA Ireland also know that Tyrone have never been forgiven by Kerry for '03, '05 and '08 and your letter to the indo is laughable.

Your quite dubious posting history here means you are no authority to be commenting on such matters.

Your attitude to anything to do with Kerry, is to quote yourself "laughable".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Maybe in the final, every time the Gooch touches the ball the crowd should fall silent in awe of his ginger majesty. Chr!st above, what a load of nonsense. Off to Thomond with you where you can watch your eggball in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I was more annoyed with the Kerry fans booing Tiarnan McCann and Ole-ing for all the passes on the 50th minute or so. ****ty sportsmanship. You have idiots from all counties.

Did let a few choice words fly in Niall Morgan's direction after his ridiculous OTT celebration of a point in the first half. Made a right tit of himself IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭corny

Its strange the conventions around booing in this country. Yeah at Thomond they'll go quiet for a penalty but its somehow OK to heckle the opposition hooker at the line out. Makes no sense. Can't see the big deal myself.

Never found the Tyrone lads any bother either. Quite the contrary actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I was more annoyed with the Kerry fans booing Tiarnan McCann and Ole-ing for all the passes on the 50th minute or so. ****ty sportsmanship. You have idiots from all counties.

Did let a few choice words fly in Niall Morgan's direction after his ridiculous OTT celebration of a point in the first half. Made a right tit of himself IMO.

There are 2 well documented instances of this ole-ing backfiring. In 01, Meath hammered kerry I'm a semi final, they ole-ed like he'll in the 2nd half. They were subsequently hammered, and I think it was several years after that before they won in Croke Park after that.
    I'm the 01 final that galway won, they returned the favour by ole-ing whenever galway kept possession. IIRC they haven't won a championship game on Croke Park since.

Schadenfreude I think it's called.

There are 2 well documented instances of this ole-ing backfiring. In 01, Meath hammered kerry I'm a semi final, they ole-ed like he'll in the 2nd half. They were subsequently hammered, and I think it was several years after that before they won in Croke Park after that.
    I'm the 01 final that galway won, they returned the favour by ole-ing whenever galway kept possession. IIRC they haven't won a championship game on Croke Park since.

That's brilliant.
    Ole-ing is the 21st century version of the curse of Biddy Early.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The reaction of our fans in that semi final was embarrassing and it spread to some of our players. Remember Cullinan scoring our second goal late on (game was well over at this stage) and leaping about the place as if he'd scored a last minute winner. Think this was mentioned by Darren Fay in an interview in the last year or so. Some players (and fans) assumed the final was a foregone conclusion.
    Some younger fans who were probably too young to remember that Kerry game started oléing towards the end of last year's Kildare game and were promptly shut up by every Meath fan in the vicinity.

However, it is a bit more common than people suggest. Dublin fans around me did it in last year's Leinster final, our fans did it in the 2010 hammering of Dublin (while the others tried to shut them up), Kildare fans did it when they beat us in 2010 and 2011.

• Advertisement

The reaction of our fans in that semi final was embarrassing and it spread to some of our players. Remember Cullinan scoring our second goal late on (game was well over at this stage) and leaping about the place as if he'd scored a last minute winner. Think this was mentioned by Darren Fay in an interview in the last year or so. Some players (and fans) assumed the final was a foregone conclusion.....

Yeah I remember it well - was in the early flourishes of romance with SWMBO and scored 2 tickets to the game - last place I wanted to be with our own 2 days in Thurles still fresh in my mind :pac: The 2 things that struck me on the day was as you say the olé's and also a few Kerry lads in front of us who took off their jerseys midway thru the 2nd half and stuffed them into their bags.

Her Da would've been on good terms with John Mc from their mutual love of slaughtering cows ;) .. but I remember him retelling me McDermotts take on the aftermath of that game of fellas walking about like superstars and the eye was most definetely taken off the prize

Advertisement