Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

wackokid wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus it's hard to swallow your 'I'm a proud Kerryman and holier than thou spiel. You should have been standing beside me in Tralee one fine summer evening this year when your beloved Kerry minor footballers were playing the Cork minors. You should have heard the vitriol and abuse being hurled at 18 yr old boys in red jerseys by middle aged well dressed Kerry 'supporters'. I thought I had just stood in a bad place in front of a bunch of thicks so I went about 50 yards down the terrace and whaddya know, same story. Not the first time either that I have been forced to listen to these truly great Cooper admirers as you so lovingly describe your tribe.
    There are none so blind as those who don't wish to see and the whole of GAA Ireland knows how all of your ex Kerry footballers now media scribes left no stone unturned to discredit Tyrone in the weeks prior to the match. It worked too and even the three RTE analysts agreed on that after the game. The whole of GAA Ireland also know that Tyrone have never been forgiven by Kerry for '03, '05 and '08 and your letter to the indo is laughable.
    Wang King wrote: »
    He's quoting a letter, its not his

Won't anybody think of the children!

and the writer is from Galway too............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

This is the quietest i have heard the Dubs over the past few years. Definitely noteworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Peist2007 wrote: »
    This is the quietest i have heard the Dubs over the past few years. Definitely noteworthy.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Anyone hear James Horan and David Brady previewing the match on Off the Ball last night? Now I know it was Mayo-centric in terms of the analysts but it was interesting nonetheless. They were discussing the potential match-ups Mayo might opt with and were debating who would pick up Dean Rock (should he start). Am I the only who feels he is the least threat amongst the Dublin forwards?

The way I see it:

Cafferkey on Brogan
    Higgins on Connolly (like glue)
    Boyle on Flynn
    Barrett on Kilkenny

The main match-up's above. Leave Keegan as the attacking weapon, and maybe picking up Kilkenny further up the pitch should he drop back as the sweeper.

Brady also suggested that maybe Mayo might pull AOS further out the field in the first ten minutes and isolate Barry Moran as the "big man" one-on-one on Cooper/McMahon. Could be a shrewd move.

Whatever happens, I have the entire day off for once and haven't looked forward to a game as much in a long time. Nevermind, the Sunday Game punditry bemoaning the current state of the game. Gaelic football is focking awesome.

giphy.gif

Exactly. And i turn on the tv or radio and what do i see? Ex Mayo players who won feck all when it mattered talking absolute sh1te. Worried.

• Advertisement

Exactly. And i turn on the tv or radio and what do i see? Ex Mayo players who won feck all when it mattered talking absolute sh1te. Worried.

Same on OTB. It's been a Mayo-tastic week.

As a Dub I am under a strict omerta. Lest Docta, Slattsy and Stoner come after me. So yeah. I'm saying nothing.

50356_137589560910_5386595_n.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIGUu0bvpMQ

SAme on OTB. It's been a Mayo-tastic week.

As a Dub I am under a strict omerta. Lest Docta, Slattsy and Stoner come after me. So yeah. I'm saying nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIGUu0bvpMQ

Whatever about Horan appearing on OTB last night, David Brady has nothing to say and ties himself up in knots. He said he was going to shock everyone with his prediction and what followed was a cringeworthy mess. All topped off by the Mort in a shiny blue suit talking in earnest, sombre tones to Ivan Yeats on TV3 last night, you couldnt make it up.

Whatever about Horan appearing on OTB last night, David Brady has nothing to say and ties himself up in knots. He said he was going to shock everyone with his prediction and what followed was a cringeworthy mess. All topped off by the Mort in a shiny blue suit talking in earnest, sombre tones to Ivan Yeats on TV3 last night, you couldnt make it up.

Horan on OTB is one of the best things of the week. He is an astounding analyst. Same as Jimmy Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

I'm the 01 final that galway won, they returned the favour by ole-ing whenever galway kept possession. IIRC they haven't won a championship game on Croke Park since.

Schadenfreude I think it's called.

Lord. Forced correctness in GAA is getting out of hand if we're claiming fans Ole-ing when their team are cruising home in an All-Ireland final is suddenly not kosher.

Also- well documented where? I've literally never heard this come up before.

Horan on OTB is one of the best things of the week. He is an astounding analyst. Same as Jimmy Mac.

Think you are giving both parties too much credit there. Horan and McGuinness are articulate guys who know the game. Apart from the fact that they know their ex-players very well i dont think you could say anything that was said on OTB last night was "astounding". Horan basically said what people have said in here, 50-50 and a potentially great match.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

http://www.jeron.je/anglia/learn/sec/history/partire/palelg.jpg

This map is quite accurate in showing who will be supporting Mayo on sunday and who will be supporting Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Eh...since when do Louth people automatically support Dublin? :confused:

I know of a few people who bought homes in Drogheda during the Celtic Tiger years, as they couldn't afford Dublin house prices, but that's just taking the piss. :P

Think you are giving both parties too much credit there. Horan and McGuinness are articulate guys who know the game. Apart from the fact that they know their ex-players very well i dont think you could say anything that was said on OTB last night was "astounding". Horan basically said what people have said in here, 50-50 and a potentially great match.

Overall.

I'm hardly judging him on just Thursday night.

He's genuinely great to listen to and you do learn things which is what I want from an analyst.

Not like Ó Sé and the like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Overall.

I'm hardly judging him on just Thursday night.

He's genuinely great to listen to and you do learn things which is what I want from an analyst.

Not like Ó Sé and the like.

can you point out what exactly was great about the analysis? that's not a snipe at you I am just wondering what I missed. seemed to me like it was just a whole load of bar stool pub chat. perhaps due to horans loyalty to Mayo and not wanting to uncover some Mayo team secrets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Did Horan go for Mayo or Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

djPSB wrote: »
    Did Horan go for Mayo or Dublin?

He was on UTV Ireland with Michael Meehan and Mossy Quinn he fancied mayo by 2-3 points

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Horan's one of the better pundits, was one of the few to speak sense after the McCann saga.

Think the Dubs will win tomorrow, but sticking a few euro on O'Shea to get the first goal. McGee was a tighter marker than anything the Dubs have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

can you point out what exactly was great about the analysis? that's not a snipe at you I am just wondering what I missed. seemed to me like it was just a whole load of bar stool pub chat. perhaps due to horans loyalty to Mayo and not wanting to uncover some Mayo team secrets.
    He told in detail what you have to do as a team to push up on kickouts if you are playing a sweeper. He didnt labour the point but it was an interesting piece thought. Also mentioned the zonal/man to man you can do trying to mark defenders on kickouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

It's impossible to know what the Dubs will be like, I'm sure the lack of hype and attention is by design, they could be an animal today, but then they could be totally limp.

We know more about what Mayo are about, and I think the game will be decided in the Dublin full forward line vs the Mayo full back line match up.

I'm going to back Mayo, but money or no money I've started to genuinely want them to go all the way.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Patww79 wrote: »
    I know people say it shouldn't matter but Dublin have just had it too easy for their own good. They've got into an awful habit of faffing about too much and trying to walk the ball into the net. It'll bite them at this stage.

Think your right. The dubs can move the ball great , esp their forwards, given time and space. But mayo will be alot tghter and intense than what dublin have met so far.
    But mayo havent exactly had a hard championship either.
    Seems obvious but restrict dublin getting goals ( esp early ones) and mayo are well on the way .
    Mayo by 3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Dubs by 3.

Hopefully they'll be talking about the game after, not more black card/yellow card controversies.

Wasn't taken that way boss. Frostyjacks summed it up. I was in a foetal position for most of yesterday. So he's defo helped me out there with the response.

I don't think he's as biased as he could be tbh. He has been oft critical as well. Not to a great extent but he is aware that he's the previous manager so he can't go laying into the team full on. Same with Jim and Donegal but there is insight there that you don't get from the likes of Brady, Ó Sé etc

---

Dublin by a couple today. A game for the ages to play out in front of us. COYBIB!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

how long roughly would you reckon you have to wait for the game to show up on the rteiplayer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Patww79 wrote: »
    I know people say it shouldn't matter but Dublin have just had it too easy for their own good. They've got into an awful habit of faffing about too much and trying to walk the ball into the net. It'll bite them at this stage.

do you not think that this is more to do with playing poor opposition and lads trying to hang on to their spot by getting scores and showing off a bit. kudos to Westmeath in the Leinster final for keeping the score respectable up to halftime but the first half was nothing more than mé féiner showmanship from the entire Dublin forward line, they had multiple goal and easy point chances were a pass given.

I have absolutely no idea what to expect from Dublin today and I don't think many people do, for that reason I think it's a bit much that everyone is billing this to be such a classic beforehand. it could be a slaughter in either direction in my opinion. although perhaps all the hype is more a reflection of just how poor the championship structure is that all we have to get really excited about is the last 3 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Mayo kicking it away

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I had a bet of Dublin to win and Man Utd not to lose, it just shows you how much sports betting is a waste of time.

Advertisement