Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lane hogging

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MrMaki

brooke 2 wrote: »
    It's really amusing reading this thread! The majority seem to have no problem with drivers not adhering to the speed limits, but are apoplectic about lane hoggers!! Extremely annoying though the latter definitely are, they
    are far less dangerous than the speed merchants who seem to believe that everyone else should scatter out of their paths!! :(

Disagree
    10 or 20% higher speed on motorway is much less dangerous than drivers who merge the motorway in snail speed or people who see nothing else but front of their own car on the road.
    Basically if someone does not feel comfortable driving with the speed limit should not drive on that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

MrMaki wrote: »
    Disagree
    10 or 20% higher speed on motorway is much less dangerous than drivers who merge the motorway in snail speed or people who see nothing else but front of their own car on the road.

NOT A CHANCE! Are you crazy? I think motorway merging is one of the worst things on Irish motorways. People drive onto the motorway at 60 km/h and expect everyone to jump on the brakes or make a clear road for them.

YOU are merging onto the motorway therefore it's YOUR responsibility to match the speed of traffic. It does not matter if I am speeding or not. If you think I am dangerous by speeding then stop and wait until I pass you, then merge.

Pov06 wrote: »
    NOT A CHANCE! Are you crazy? I think motorway merging is one of the worst things on Irish motorways. People drive onto the motorway at 60 km/h and expect everyone to jump on the brakes or make a clear road for them.

YOU are merging onto the motorway therefore it's YOUR responsibility to match the speed of traffic. It does not matter if I am speeding or not. If you think I am dangerous by speeding then stop and wait until I pass you, then merge.

Why u call me crazy? Isn't your post about what I just wrote? I wrote that driving slightly over the limit on motorway is safer than joining motorway with slow speed.

Why u call me crazy? Isn't your post about what I just wrote? I wrote that driving slightly over the limit on motorway is safer than joining motorway with slow speed.

Sorry, I read your post wrong :D

Sorry, I read your post wrong :D

!10 or 20% higher speed on motorway is much less dangerous than drivers who merge the motorway in snail speed"

no problem !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

thomur wrote: »
    28 years driving with no issues so disagree with your point about poor driving. I drive legally and Im not trying to sort out the law breakers but likewise if you speed then don't give out about other people who break the law

Touché!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Driving on the M6 yesterday, five cars in the left hand lane. The four cars behind the car in front (i was the last) decided to over take the car in front as she was driving @ approximately 100 kmph when i went to pull in infront of the car on the left lane she started to pick up speed. When i got in infront of her at a safe distance she started flashing her lights and driving agressivly behind me. Myself and the other drivers who had overtaken her had done so in the correct fashion but for some reason she thought she that she had the right to excellarate and come right up behind us in a dangerous fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Indeed, I did my driving test in November 2014 and national roads or motorways were not covered. The only thing I was thought about driving on a motorway is that the speed limits are 100/120 km/h and that blue signs with lines on them indicate the number of hundred of meters to the next exit :pac:

So you have only been driving on motorways for less than a year?
    Seems to explain a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I do lane 1-2-3-2-1 overtaking every single day. And yes it is hilariouswatching in my mirror some of these overtaken drivers move back from middle lane to lane 1. It makes me smiling everytime it happens :)

We have a good number of motorways now in Ireland. I think it is bad that L drivers cannot use them. it should be a mandatory training and part of exam. Sometimes it is really not easy to join a motorway while lot of cars on lane 1, but lane 2 is free - nobody care and nobody move to lane 2 to let me join the motorway.

I know that undertaking is prohibited , but sometimes there is no other option. lights flashing, indicator, tailgaiting nothing works on some people.

In fairness, some people don't have DC near them to do lessons on or their test, let alone a motorway, and even then, it might not be used. I'm fortunate enough to live near by a HQDC, and it was used in my driving tuition from lesson 2, and was part of the test route. So motorway driving has not been a problem for me, the only difference being driving a little faster. A friend in another county, was not taken on a nearby DC at any point during their lessons or test, and probably never got over 50/60km at any point, and was shocked, that I was expected to drive at up to 100km during mine. Until examiners and instructers use what's available to them, the ability of drivers in this country to drive at high speed on various parts of our road network will remain, will remain very varied, and poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Can someone link to a legal definition of "Overtaking" ? Is overtaking a process where you check mirrors - signal - manoeuvre right - pass - signal - manoeuvre left, or is it any action whereby you pass a car at a higher speed ?

During driving lessons we are taught how to overtake another road user and it involved the process described above. On a motorway on the leftmost lane doing </= the speed limit and you happen on a car on the right doing less than you, if you pass that car without any change in direction or velocity then you're not carrying out the process of overtaking are you ? You're simply passing them by ?

Isn't it idiotic to expect drivers to slow down to 30KM/h because there's someone in the rightmost lane doing 31KM/h - it's happened ! Is there anyone here who, hand on heart, would do this ?

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

ZENER wrote: »
    During driving lessons we are taught how to overtake another road user and it involved the process described above. On a motorway on the leftmost lane doing </= the speed limit and you happen on a car on the right doing less than you, if you pass that car without any change in direction or velocity then you're not carrying out the process of overtaking are you ? You're simply passing them by ?

Isn't it idiotic to expect drivers to slow down to 30KM/h because there's someone in the rightmost lane doing 31KM/h - it's happened ! Is there anyone here who, hand on heart, would do this ?

Ken

The extrapolation that overtaking is defined by the actions taken which you described (mirror etc.) is not correct. If you're passing a car, where the car is on your right, you're undertaking. I suppose you could consider over and undertaking two sub-categories of passing another vehicle by.

I don't get your second paragraph.

During driving lessons we are taught how to overtake another road user and it involved the process described above. On a motorway on the leftmost lane doing </= the speed limit and you happen on a car on the right doing less than you, if you pass that car without any change in direction or velocity then you're not carrying out the process of overtaking are you ?

Ken

I don't know what learners are taught here in Ireland, but the only situation i'm aware of where you can pass car which is on the right lane from the left side is when you are driving in a bumper to bumper heavy traffic and line you are driving on is basically quicker then the other one on right hand side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Can someone link to a legal definition of "Overtaking" ? Is overtaking a process where you check mirrors - signal - manoeuvre right - pass - signal - manoeuvre left, or is it any action whereby you pass a car at a higher speed ?
    You're not overtaking a car on a motorway if you pass by to the left of them, hence why we use the term undertaking.
    Interesting point and I can see why there would be confusion there. If the car to the right is doing the speed limit and you pass by them then it would be classed as undertaking, but if it's travelling at below the speed limit, then passing by at the speed limit or below is not undertaking imo but simply following the rules of the road.

Ken
    It's completely idiotic which is why I abide by the philosophy that driving past a person doing below the speed limit to the right of you is not undertaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Nothing like that defined in our law.
    There isn't really any definition of overtaking in Irish law, even though word "overtaking" is used commonly.
    Dictrionary meaning is relevant then, so f.e. here you can see that:1. (Automotive Engineering) Brit to move past (another vehicle or person) travelling in the same direction

It doesn't matter if you change lanes, indicate, etc..
    Once you move past another vehicle travelling in the same direction, you are overtaking.
    Yes, you are simply passing them by, which in other words mean you are overtaking them.
    And overtaking on the left is prohibited (except in certain circumstances).
    You driving instructor didn't teach you well.

No, it's not idiotic at all.
    Only reasonable reason for anyone to do 30km/h on rightmost lane is emergency (breakdown, accident, etc), and such driver should be facilitated to move the the left hard shoulder.
    Imagine - you drive on right lane overtaking, and suddenly your engine blows. Car starts to slow down, and you want to move to left hard shoulder, but you can't as bunch of idiots are overtaking you now on your left (on driving lane). You end up stopped in right lane, which is going to end up with accident most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

K4t wrote: »
    You're not overtaking a car on a motorway if you pass by to the left of them, hence why we use the term undertaking.
    Term - "undertaking" is only a slang.
    Traffic law defines it as "overtaking on the left".
    Interesting point and I can see why there would be confusion there. If the car to the right is doing the speed limit and you pass by them then it would be classed as undertaking, but if it's travelling at below the speed limit, then passing by at the speed limit or below is not undertaking imo but simply following the rules of the road.
    Wrong understaning on your side.
    Speed limit, actual speed, etc doesn't matter.
    If you pass another vehicle which is going the same direction as you, becuase you are going quicker that means you are overtaking.
    It's completely idiotic which is why I abide by the philosophy that driving past a person doing below the speed limit to the right of you is not undertaking.
    It's not about philosophy.
    Law doesn't permit you to do it, so what you are doing is illegal.
    Your philosophy is of very little relevance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

People in this country just aren't thought how to drive properly, sure your not tested on motorway driving or thought how to nor are you allowed to without a full licence then boom work away and drive on Obe without even being thought how to.

Recently had someo b e in work arrive in angry who had only recently began to drive giving out someone had been flashing them when I asked what lane he said the outside one I explained why and he had never heard it.

I also came up being a jeep on the m7 one morning going home from work stayed behind him for a minute no movement ok so flashed him no movement waited a minute flashed him again no movement all the while the middle lane was empty so undertook him at which point he lost the rag and proceeded to chase me along the m7 flashing pulling up beside gesturing like a crazed lunatic even took the same exit as me before continuing back onto the m7 all because I had the audacity to undertake the lunatic. Days like that I wish I had a dashcam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

There is provision in the rules of the road for overtaking on the left if the line of traffic on the left is moving faster than the line on the right, however it would be hard to argue this in a scenario where you are passing are car on the left with no other cars around i.e you are passing a single car who is in the RH lane.

So you have only been driving on motorways for less than a year?
    Seems to explain a lot.

That's exactly the kind of drivers we don't need on the motorways. "I've been driving for 28 years, I never crashed therefore I'm right"

Look at yourself, you're pathetic. It doesn't matter how many years you drove, you're still learning each time you drive, so don't come here and dare to say you're a perfect driver. You don't need to drive for 50 years to learn lane usage, it's a simple concept I grasped in a few minutes.

You must be great if it only took you your 10 years experience to learn that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I don't know what learners are taught here in Ireland, but the only situation i'm aware of where you can pass car which is on the right lane from the left side is when you are driving in a bumper to bumper heavy traffic and line you are driving on is basically quicker then the other one on right hand side.

The problem (IMO) in Ireland is you don't really learn to drive until after your test. Then it can go really wrong because people learn bad habits.

Just my opinion but it seems to be in countries that have less reliance on cars and more reliance on public transport/bicycles seem to have a better standard of driving because they've been in the situation of the weaker mode of transportation.

• Advertisement

You don't need to drive for 50 years to learn lane usage, it's a simple concept I grasped in a few minutes.

Disagree
    For some reason unexperienced young drivers are cause of more accidents than any other group.

Yes it doesn't take 10 or 20years but at least few hundred thousands kilometers.

In few minutes you can learn to change the lane on empty road.

The problem (IMO) in Ireland is you don't really learn to drive until after your test. Then it can go really wrong because people learn bad habits.

Just my opinion but it seems to be in countries that have less reliance on cars and more reliance on public transport/bicycles seem to have a better standard of driving because they've been in the situation of the weaker mode of transportation.
    This is what I wrote before - if person is not feeling well driving with the speed limit he/ she shouldn't be on that road, but some have no choice.

Disagree
    For some reason unexperienced young drivers are cause of more accidents than any other group.

Yes it doesn't take 10 or 20years but at least few hundred thousands kilometers.

In few minutes you can learn to change the lane on empty road.

So basically now I'm not entitled to express my opinion because:

1. I have a full licence for less than a year
    2. Young people cause more accidents

Nice! Thoughtful of you to tar everyone with the same brush. I guess you're one tough lad being able to flash and honk at L-drivers eh?

Rules are rules. Some people don't know them and some do, regardless of their licence status.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

So basically now I'm not entitled to express my opinion because:

1. I have a full licence for less than a year
    2. Young people cause more accidents

Nice! Thoughtful of you to tar everyone with the same brush. I guess you're one tough lad being able to flash and honk at L-drivers eh?

Rules are rules. Some people don't know them and some do, regardless of their licence status.

The funny thing here is L drivers and younger drivers are more likely to be obeying the rules of the road , speed limits and lane usage than drivers who are on the road for years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

9935452 wrote: »
    The funny thing here is L drivers and younger drivers are more likely to be obeying the rules of the road , speed limits and lane usage than drivers who are on the road for years

I'd tend to disagree. Most young people I know (And I'm sub 30) have no concept of lane usage and to be fair, why should they, they are never trained or educated.

I actually get stressed if I'm in lane 2 or 3 for longer than necessary. My OCD goes wild :pac:

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'd tend to disagree. Most young people I know (And I'm sub 30) have no concept of lane usage and to be fair, why should they, they are never trained or educated.

I actually get stressed if I'm in lane 2 or 3 for longer than necessary. My OCD goes wild :pac:

This might be true, but there's no point tarring everyone with the same brush, especially on a motors forum. It gets you nowhere to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

9935452 wrote: »

Some older drivers are absolutely set in their ways. "My dad taught me to drive back in nineteen tickety-boo going down the backroad in our 1100 Morris Minor and I've been practicing with the tractor in our field. I got my license in the post (or a lucky dip bag or box or cereal) the very next day and I've been driving ever since. I know how to drive and I don't need some jumped up traffic cop or anyone telling me how to drive, I know better! I'm Entitled To Be On The Road and I Drive How I see Fit! I'm a safe driver because I have never exceeded 40 miles an hour in my life!"

This to me raises several points. First of all, motorway driving HAS to be a mandatory part of learning how to drive. I don't care about any argument against, because there is none. If you do have one, it's bullsh*t and wrong. I'm not even going to discuss it. You:"But! but! but!" Me: "Wrong! And stop talking like an outboard motor".
    There should also be retests, that should get the "I Am Entitled!" brigade of the road fairly sharpish. Though a lot of people will drive perfect on the test and then get back to "proper" driving.
    And finally, enforcement. The problem is, people here seem immune to education due to the two above points. "I Drive How I See Fit!" coupled with zilch enforcement doesn't help. And even with enforcement they will be straight on to Joe, "This is a disgrace! There I was drrivin' really fasht at 50 miles in the fasht lane, when out of nowhere this jumped up copper pulls me up and starts telling ME how to drive! I have never seen the likes! I've been driving for forty years with no accidents!"
    You'll be surprised to hear there isn't even that much enforcement in Germany, people over there don't all follow the rules because they think there's a copper hiding behind every tree, the thinking is "If we all follow the rules, everything will work better", while I sometimes think that some people here think they are a special little snowflake and they can do as they please and fcuk everyone else.
    The problem is the basic attitude to the system and that is extremely hard to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We need to educate first, then enforce. Tell people to move to the left, because a lot of them don't realise they're doing the wrong thing, then prosecute the lazy and the stubborn who don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

Mc Love wrote: »
    It's impossible to drive legally on the three lane motorways as you constantly have to go to lane 3 to get past one or two eejits in lane 2!

One or two times when i have done the lane 1 to 3 overtaking movement I've seen the middle lane morons move to lane 1. But it is rare.

Agreed.

What should I do in the below situation?

Example is a 3 lane motorway i.e. M50

I am driving in the driving lane at just below the speed limit. I come upon another car driving at a slower speed than me in lane 2 that I want to overtake.

What should my maneuver be here from 1. a safety point of view and 2. from a legal point of view?

• Advertisement

Agreed.

What should I do in the below situation?

Example is a 3 lane motorway i.e. M50

I am driving in the driving lane at just below the speed limit. I come upon another car driving at a slower speed than me in lane 2 that I want to overtake.

What should my maneuver be here from 1. a safety point of view and 2. from a legal point of view?

Check mirrors, indicate, move into lane 2. Check mirrors, indicate, move into lane 3, overtake. Check mirrors, indicate, move into lane 2. Check mirrors, indicate, move into lane 1.

Advertisement