Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lane hogging

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Mc Love wrote: »
    It's impossible to drive legally on the three lane motorways as you constantly have to go to lane 3 to get past one or two eejits in lane 2!

One or two times when i have done the lane 1 to 3 overtaking movement I've seen the middle lane morons move to lane 1. But it is rare.

They usually give you a big gormless stare as they wonder what you're doing, driving like a maniac like that, going all the way round them like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Mc Love wrote: »

One or two times when i have done the lane 1 to 3 overtaking movement I've seen the middle lane morons move to lane 1. But it is rare.

It's hilarious that some ppl actually do this! I mean the lane 1-2-3-2-1 maneuver, Gas :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Patww79 wrote: »
    You are supposed to and the Gardai can pull you over if you don't.

By the looks of the tweets, it looks like the pricks who sit in the middle lane and thus forcing the 1 2 3 2 1 manoeuvre, may have to learn that lane 1 is the correct "driving" lane and that sitting in the middle lane scratching their hole will no longer be tolerated.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mudstack

You're right, it would be a good idea. Also more emphasis on lanes on motorways and dual carriageways for the driving test would be a good idea also if even only on the theory side of things.

I think a lot of posters on this thread though need to review the other adverts and revise the rules of the road as they seem to think they can pick and choose which rules they wish to follow, yet dictate to others which rules they want them to follow.

A bit of consideration for other drivers would go a long way on the roads. I hope none here have to learn it the hard way, be it as a victim or as the perpetrator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

McGaggs wrote: »
    They usually give you a big gormless stare as they wonder what you're doing, driving like a maniac like that, going all the way round them like.

To be fair, although they are as ignorant as sin, in reality its a bit extravagant to do such a manoeuvre over and over again across a few miles of the M50.

Just stick to lane one if you have any sense and undertake the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I find it infuriating when the outside lane on a motor way is taken up with people doing 150kmh and then you are doing 120 and come up on a truck and have to jam on the breaks because you can get out into the outside lane, it promotes lane hogging tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

fergus1001 wrote: »
    I find it infuriating when the outside lane on a motor way is taken up with people doing 150kmh and then you are doing 120 and come up on a truck and have to jam on the breaks because you can get out into the outside lane, it promotes lane hogging tbh

You should anticipate this happening and pull out into the overtaking lane before you reach the truck :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

So much name calling on this thread.

It's a mixture of high-horse and high-chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Pov06 wrote: »
    You should anticipate this happening and pull out into the overtaking lane before you reach the truck :rolleyes:

In which case the guy coming up behind doing 150kmh will accuse you of lane hogging as your too far back from the truck to be overtaking.

Having said that its exactly what I do now, With cruise set at 120 k/ph I got fed up being boxed in while being courteous to the speed merchants in the overtaking lane. I now pull out with plenty of time to overtake, and I'm very sorry if the guy doing 150 has to pull back to 120 for a few seconds;).

hi5 wrote: »
    In which case the guy coming up behind doing 150kmh will accuse you of lane hogging as your too far back from the truck to be overtaking.

Having said that its exactly what I do now, With cruise set at 120 k/ph I got fed up being boxed in while being courteous to the speed merchants in the overtaking lane. I now pull out with plenty of time to overtake, and I'm very sorry if the guy doing 150 has to pull back to 120 for a few seconds;).

The basic definition of hogging a lane is going slower than traffic in the left lane. By pulling into the overtaking lane to overtake a truck you are NOT hogging the lane.

Yes, you will get scumbags who drive at 150 km/h and start flashing you when they get behind you but that's normal. Ignore them, overtake and pull back into the left lane after your overtake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The basic definition of hogging a lane is going slower than traffic in the left lane. By pulling into the overtaking lane to overtake a truck you are NOT hogging the lane.

Yes, you will get scumbags who drive at 150 km/h and start flashing you when they get behind you but that's normal. Ignore them, overtake and pull back into the left lane after your overtake.

That. No one in their right mind will mind people overtaking at 120 km/h.
    I can't stand people overtaking trucks at 0.5 km/h faster, taking hours to do so and then making a point out of staying out for longer than they have to.

But the question is, how far back can you get into the overtaking lane, in the name of overtaking?
    In theory the guys doing 150 kph in the overtaking lane could say they are always overtaking somebody they can see on the distant horizon (which is probably what they are thinking anyway)

But the question is, how far back can you get into the overtaking lane, in the name of overtaking?
    In theory the guys doing 150 kph in the overtaking lane could say they are always overtaking somebody they can see on the distant horizon (which is probably what they are thinking anyway)

If I was doing 150 km/h in the overtaking lane whilst going faster than everyone else in the left lane, I would only pull in if a car approached me from behind at a faster speed. You let them pass and then back out you go :)

If I was doing 150 km/h in the overtaking lane whilst going faster than everyone else in the left lane, I would only pull in if a car approached me from behind at a faster speed. You let them pass and then back out you go :)

Why not do 150 in the left lane and pull into the overtaking lane when you need to overtake?

Why not do 150 in the left lane and pull into the overtaking lane when you need to overtake?

You skipped the "whilst being faster than traffic in the left lane" part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

What annoys me are lane hoggers on relatively empty motorways/ dual carraigeways. They cruise along in the outside lane when the inner lanes are completely free and can't be arsed to change. So you're tootling along in the correct lane and approaching a HGV, you look in your mirror to signal and overtake .. to find some idiot at a close enough distance to be rude to pull out in front of them, but just creeping up at a km or two faster than you. So you end up braking and giving them a hard stare as they draw level but no flies on them, they just carry on oblivious to the empty spaces on their left.............

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭threebagsfull

On the M1 every morning, I can only ever see about 3 vehicles in the left lone and the overtaking lanes are chic-a-bloc. We're all going the same speed, so it's pointless.

I think part of the problem is they don't include the motorway on your driving test, or they didn't 10 years ago at least. So you learn to drive in some circumstances and then you're expected to figure out the trickiest stuff yourself. That's ok if you're willing to learn but some people aren't and have no idea what lane hogging is.

• Advertisement

I think part of the problem is they don't include the motorway on your driving test, or they didn't 10 years ago at least. So you learn to drive in some circumstances and then you're expected to figure out the trickiest stuff yourself. That's ok if you're willing to learn but some people aren't and have no idea what lane hogging is.

Indeed, I did my driving test in November 2014 and national roads or motorways were not covered. The only thing I was thought about driving on a motorway is that the speed limits are 100/120 km/h and that blue signs with lines on them indicate the number of hundred of meters to the next exit :pac:

You skipped the "whilst being faster than traffic in the left lane" part.
    Being faster than traffic in the left lane doesn't allow you to sit in the overtaking lane, you pull back into the left lane when you get a chance, those are the rules.

Being faster than traffic in the left lane doesn't allow you to sit in the overtaking lane, you pull back into the left lane when you get a chance, those are the rules.

Not if you are overtaking every single car in the left lane and there's no point pulling in if you have to stomp on the brake pedal.

I didn't say I'm doing 150 km/h. He was the one who came up with that :rolleyes:

In fairness I'd be fairly happy to be able to drive at 140 km/h, never mind 150 km/h without getting stuck behind someone doing 90 km/h in the overtaking lane :P

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MrMaki

I do lane 1-2-3-2-1 overtaking every single day. And yes it is hilariouswatching in my mirror some of these overtaken drivers move back from middle lane to lane 1. It makes me smiling everytime it happens :)

We have a good number of motorways now in Ireland. I think it is bad that L drivers cannot use them. it should be a mandatory training and part of exam. Sometimes it is really not easy to join a motorway while lot of cars on lane 1, but lane 2 is free - nobody care and nobody move to lane 2 to let me join the motorway.

I know that undertaking is prohibited , but sometimes there is no other option. lights flashing, indicator, tailgaiting nothing works on some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Because he's driving the speed limit apparently. People seem to have this consensus that lane 1 is 80 km/h, lane 2 is 100 km/h and lane 3 is "for da boyracers".

It's really amusing reading this thread! The majority seem to have no problem with drivers not adhering to the speed limits, but are apoplectic about lane hoggers!! Extremely annoying though the latter definitely are, they
    are far less dangerous than the speed merchants who seem to believe that everyone else should scatter out of their paths!! :(

Advertisement