Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lane hogging

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Tzardine wrote: »
    If you are in lane 2 or 3 and you are overtaking somebody to your left then you are fine. IMHO anybody coming up behind you will just have to wait.

Soon as you finish your overtake then go back into lane 1 or 2 and allow the guy tailgating you in his audi to pass.

And how long would it be deemed appropriate to stay in the blessed lane 2 after the overtake (that effectively should be completely clear at all times to some people) before you get labelled a pesky hogger? :)..5 of a second, or maybe a whole second..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

CiniO wrote: »
    I usually drive above speed limit on motorways, but I'd always pull straight to driving lane after overtaking, even if I know I'll have to move back to overtaking lane again in 10 seconds.
    Yeah, on an empty motorway doing 200km/hr, left lane unless overtaking. And even at busy periods, the aim should always be to get back to the left lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The only way in Ireland to have a problem free driving experience is to drive faster than everyone else.

If someone is sitting in the overtaking lane then just sit behind them with your indicator on.

That's my experience of driving when back there anyway.

If you drive exactly on the speed limit you just p1ss people off and have ultra slow overtakers or people that want to just be in front of you for some reason .

For me it's purely about maintaining a high average speed, i'll just keep an equal or slightly faster pace than the traffic around me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mudstack

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I think the point some people are missing is that when you stay to the left unless you are overtaking it creates a flow that moves everyone along easily and efficiently regardless of speed or speed limits.

Its muppets who think because they're driving the speed limit they can be in any lane, that break the whole system and make it all more dangerous.

My journey on the motorway takes about 40 mins. If I do it at 120kph, it will take me 40 mins, 140kph - 35 mins and 160kph - just over 30 mins.

I'd need to re-evaluate my life if 5 or 10 mins meant that much to me.

If people are overtaking in the overtaking lane at the speed limit, they are entitled to do so. At busy times there are few chances to pull back in to the left lane without slowing down significantly.

They don't have to pull in for some tool doing 160kph who thinks he owns the road.

mudstack wrote: »
    My journey on the motorway takes about 40 mins. If I do it at 120kph, it will take me 40 mins, 140kph - 35 mins and 160kph - just over 30 mins.

If people are overtaking in the overtaking lane at the speed limit, they are entitled to do so. At busy times there are few chances to pull back in to the left lane without slowing down significantly.

They don't have to pull in for some tool doing 160kph who thinks he owns the road.

This thread isn't about people who don't pull in because it's unsafe to, this thread is about people who don't move to the left because they can't be arsed.

Stop muddying the topic.

• Advertisement

This thread isn't about people who don't pull in because it's unsafe to, this thread is about people who don't move to the left because they can't be arsed.

Stop muddying the topic.

It's about lane hoggers.

Lane hoggers can also be people driving over the speed limit in the overtaking lane making it difficult for law abiding citizens to enter the overtaking lane.

It's about lane hoggers.

Lane hoggers can also be people driving over the speed limit in the overtaking lane making it difficult for law abiding citizens to enter the overtaking lane.

No, that's someone that's speeding while overtaking.

You do not have right of way to enter the overtaking lane.

No, that's someone that's speeding while overtaking.

You do not have right of way to enter the overtaking lane.

I'm talking about the ones who never enter the left lane because they are speeding, that's hogging.

I'm talking about the ones who never enter the left lane because they are speeding, that's hogging.

This problem is particularly apparent when traffic is joining the motorway but it's hard to pull in to the overtaking lane to allow these people safe entry to the motorway because lane hoggers are speeding in the overtaking lane and have no intention of joining people obeying the rules in the left lane at any point.

This problem is particularly apparent when traffic is joining the motorway but it's hard to pull in to the overtaking lane to allow these people safe entry to the motorway because lane hoggers are speeding in the overtaking lane and have no intention of joining people obeying the rules in the left lane at any point.

Then slow down to allow people to join the motorway.

Or read the road ahead and join the overtaking lane if you want to do that.

The only people that have this problem are the ones that leave it till the last moment and panic when trying to decide if they should slow down or speed up to join the overtaking lane.

If in doubt slow down.

Simple.

• Advertisement

The only people that have this problem are the ones that leave it till the last moment and panic when trying to decide if they should slow down or speed up to join the overtaking lane.

If in doubt slow down.

Simple.

I shouldn't have to be stuck in the left lane due to speeding lane hoggers in the overtaking lane.

Slow down and obey the law.

Simple.

I shouldn't have to be stuck in the left lane due to speeding lane hoggers in the overtaking lane.

Simple.

I know it sounds crazy to the many petrol heads on here but constantly staying in the overtaking lane while speeding is also lane hogging.

Get your thrills somewhere else.

Simple.

That attitude causes many accidents.

I hope to never meet you on the road.

Having an urgency to join the overtaking lane without taking care on the traffic already in there is dangerous.

You also said:

So why not take your own advice ?

That attitude causes many accidents.

I hope to never meet you on the road.

Having an urgency to join the overtaking lane without taking care on the traffic already in there is dangerous.

I don't just pull out into the overtaking lane nor did I say I do.
    My point is it is often difficult to do as there as there are speeding lane hoggers in the overtaking lane which means I am stuck in the left lane.
    Lane hoggers, it's what the thread is about.

If the people in the overtaking lane were obeying the rules of the road, I wouldn't be stuck.
    The ridiculous thing is that with Ireland being the size it is, this speeding makes little difference to journey time.

You're clutching at straws to defend speeding and hogging the overtaking lane by suggesting I drive dangerously which I don't.

I don't just pull out into the overtaking lane nor did I say I do.
    My point is it is often difficult to do as there as there are speeding lane hoggers in the overtaking lane which means I am stuck in the left lane.
    Lane hoggers, it's what the thread is about.

If the people in the overtaking lane were obeying the rules of the road, I wouldn't be stuck.
    The ridiculous thing is that with Ireland being the size it is, this speeding makes little difference to journey time.

You're clutching at straws to defend speeding and hogging the overtaking lane by suggesting I drive dangerously which I don't.

You mean there is someone overtaking you. They are not in your way they are just overtaking you.

You can pull out when they complete their overtake, actually if they are speeding then they are doing you a favor since they complete their overtake even more quickly.

Lane hogging is when there is someone preventing you from overtaking because they can't be bothered keeping left (as the rules of the road state)

It's not up to you to judge if someone is breaking the speed limit or not, that's a job for the Gardai using speed measuring equipment.

Being in a wrong lane is blindingly obvious without the need for any equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

You mean there is someone overtaking you. They are not in your way they are just overtaking you.

You can pull out when they complete their overtake, actually if they are speeding then they are doing you a favor since they complete their overtake even more quickly.

Lane hogging is when there is someone preventing you from overtaking because they can't be bothered keeping left (as the rules of the road state)

It's not up to you to judge if someone is breaking the speed limit or not, that's a job for the Gardai using speed measuring equipment.

Being in a wrong lane is blindingly obvious without the need for any equipment.

I think what the poster is referring to is the lines and lines of lanehoggers in the overtake lane who never pull in, creating a constant flow of traffic and preventing anyone from legally overtaking.

This is a constant on the M7

I think what the poster is referring to is the lines and lines of lanehoggers in the overtake lane who never pull in, creating a constant flow of traffic and preventing anyone from legally overtaking.

This is a constant on the M7

Never seen a line of cars in that situation braking the speed limit. Usually it happens because the person at the front is driving under the speed limit in the wrong lane while they have the opportunity to pull in.

That's not a particularly Irish Phenomenon either, happens here in the Netherlands and Germany all the time as well.

I've seen the cops pulling the car at the front on both sides of the border for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

I think a lot of the problem here is the differential between the two speeds of the drivers of the two lanes. People have the attitude that they can amble along at 60 in a 100 zone when a much higher speed would be appropriate. So unless you're willing to try to dip in and out of the driving lane (which most "expert" Irish drivers aren't) you get people just hogging the overtaking lane. There are too many demographics who drive at speeds that are so slow on n and m roads that they could be considered dangerous.

This then is infectious and means we get poor discipline within the rest of the population. Recently driving in Germany, everyone in driving lane and everyone tipping along at or just below limit, I did ~ 500 k and hardly recall overtaking anyone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/637913615123771392

Monitoring for "correct lane" use. Two cars in lane 2, one car in lane 3 and lane 1 empty. Great! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

There's also the lane hoggers who constantly stay in the overtaking lane driving way over the speed limit.
    They're usually the same ones who drive 2 inches behind you should you dare to pull into the overtaking lane and actually drive at the speed limit to overtake a car or queue of cars.

These drivers make it unsafe for law abiding drivers to pull out into the overtaking lane.

They seem to think that everyone else should stay in the left lane and out of their way while they hog the overtaking lane.

So you pull into the path of cars which you can see are approaching faster than you are driving?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The last two nights on a part of the M50 southbound, the outer two lanes have been closed off meaning just the left lane and auxiliary lane were open. Both times as soon as the cones disappeared and all three lanes opened again, the car in front of me went straight to the middle lane despite there being nothing at all in front of them. It genuinely baffles me that people put so little thought into their driving other than "don't speed".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Patww79 wrote: »

Agree with your first and second sentence, but they're contradicted by your last sentence. If you cause the other driver to have to hit the brakes you've caused a situation which is potentially unsafe and certainly inconsiderate. You've no right of way to pull into the overrtaking lane. You should give way to traffic already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

I drive over and back on the M50 every day for work. It’s ridiculous. I think Irish people just don’t know how to drive on the motorway. As others have said here, lane 1 will have hardly any cars in it, lane 2 has a good few and lane 3 is bumper to bumper.
    There are also a LOT of drivers on the M50 who travel in the middle lane at 80/90km. There is no need for them to be in the middle lane at all as there’s plenty of room in lane 1. They never drive in it though. This then drives the majority of drivers who are travelling at the speed limit or perhaps a little over into lane 3 which then becomes the most heavily congested.

In an ideal world everyone would drive in lane 1 and just move into the other lanes to overtake but that will NEVER EVER happen in Ireland. People are too ignorant.

When I’m travelling on the M50 during the less busy times I always travel in lane 1.

I have never in my 3 years commuting on the M50 (travelling at varying times of day) seen Guards anywhere on it unless they were attending an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It's impossible to drive legally on the three lane motorways as you constantly have to go to lane 3 to get past one or two eejits in lane 2!

One or two times when i have done the lane 1 to 3 overtaking movement I've seen the middle lane morons move to lane 1. But it is rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Patww79 wrote: »

After reading this entire thread this is the one that annoyed me. You are the dangerous driver in this case not the speeder. They are in the lane overtaking you. the speed does not matter. It is up to you to merge safely into the lane this includes being able to judge the distance and speed of the traffic in the lane you wish to merge into. If you don't have the time or space to do it without causing the traffic in the lane to brake or manoeuvre to avoid you then don't pull into the lane, wait the couple of seconds for them to pass and then complete the overtake. It is your attitude (not just yours BTW it is quite common) that because someone is speeding you can pull out in front of them at the speed limit or whatever speed you want and if they have to brake etc it is their fault that really annoys me.

To summarize it is the person merging into the lanes responsibility to do it safely

Anyway back on topic I was dropping a friend to the airport for 5am recently and every car I passed was in lane 2 just couldn't understand it. 1 of them was doing about 70kph. Even in the morning when M50 is busy it can be quicker to drive in Lane 1 between dundrum and tallaght as everyone particularly at the Dundrum on ramp thinks its a race to lane 2/3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

If in doubt slow down.

Simple.

I'd concur with this. I think the pervading issue apart from other observed ones is a nature one: Selfishness. And an altered, higher, speed limit or speed base limit is what's probably required. In particular on the outside lane. The poster Thomur was interested in keeping within the law etc in the 2nd lane (his own pace/not breaking the limit pace, albeit incorrectly laned) but human nature won't necessarily abide by this. It's too hard to police, so something new needs to be entertained.

Advertisement