Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lane hogging

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

mudstack wrote: »
    I've provided you with a link, I can't be explaining the rules of the road to you all night or when to use common sense, or spend anymore time answering your stupid questions. Speeding is dangerous, driving too slowly is also dangerous. Adhere to the roads and I hope I, or anyone I know doesn't become a victim of your idiocy in the future.

Answer the question please, would you consider doing 50mph on a little windy boreen speeding?

Also, you said that driving at 62 on the M50 was safer than driving at 63. Why don't you then drive at 40 and never exceed that? That'd be much safer no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mudstack

Jesus. wrote: »
    Answer the question please, would you consider doing 50mph on a little windy boreen speeding?

Also, you said that driving at 62 on the M50 was safer than driving at 63. Why don't you then drive at 40 and never exceed that? That'd be much safer no?

The answers are all in the link, it's all explained for you there in easy to understand language. Have a little read and sleep on it;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

So you won't answer.

Funny that you started this whole thing by admitting you break the law in your very first post!

You Sir are a danger to everyone on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Typical response from the "speed kills" brigade. I guess these are the same people who drive at 60 km/h on slip roads and then begin accelerating when they get onto the motorway...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Pov06 wrote: »
    Typical response from the "speed kills" brigade. I guess these are the same people who drive at 60 km/h on slip roads and then begin accelerating when they get onto the motorway...

The argument is usually "Babies Will Die!" and if you argue against, you are a baby murderer. Inescapable logic. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

After reading sixteen pages of this thread I still can't believe the amount of idiots I have to share a road with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

From reading this thread I am glad to see that it is not just me that stupidity and general bad driving on motorways annoys the hell out of most of us.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Can't remember the last time there was an incident on any of Ireland's motorways caused by speed. However, there are daily accidents on the M50, N7 and N40 due to this disease that is lane ignorance in Ireland. If I'm doing 140km/h in the overtaking lane and I then come upon someone dawdling in the overtaking lane it's a recipe for disaster.

In addition to that this lane indiscipline is severely limiting the capacity of Ireland's motorways & dual carriageways, and many of said accidents above are caused by brainless people using these roads.

marno21 wrote: »
    Can't remember the last time there was an incident on any of Ireland's motorways caused by speed. However, there are daily accidents on the M50, N7 and N40 due to this disease that is lane ignorance in Ireland. If I'm doing 140km/h in the overtaking lane and I then come upon someone dawdling in the overtaking lane it's a recipe for disaster.

In addition to that this lane indiscipline is severely limiting the capacity of Ireland's motorways & dual carriageways, and many of said accidents above are caused by brainless people using these roads.

Try using the M6 & M4 they have more than there fair share of clowns on them

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JillyQ wrote: »
    Try using the M6 & M4 they have more than there fair share of clowns on them
    The M1/2/3/4/6/7/8/9/11/18/20 are bad enough but the 3 lanes (N7, N40 & M50) are just abysmal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

[...]If I'm doing 140km/h in the overtaking lane and I then come upon someone dawdling in the overtaking lane it's a recipe for disaster.
    [...]

100kph could be considered "dawdling" compared to 140kph. However if the same car is in the overtaking lane travelling at 100 kph in a 100kph zone and IS overtaking traffic at the same time, and you come upon them travelling at 140kph then the potential recipe for disaster is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

K.Flyer wrote: »
    100kph could be considered "dawdling" compared to 140kph. However if the same car is in the overtaking lane travelling at 100 kph in a 100kph zone and IS overtaking traffic at the same time, and you come upon them travelling at 140kph then the potential recipe for disaster is you.

This I agree with. I speed, no point denying it, but if someone is respecting the limit and overtaking, its not my place to force them out of the way or ride up there backside. They are entitled to be there for the duration of their maneuver. The issue only is if they try to pull out sans indication at the last minute or maintain their position in the overtaking lane for longer than necessary.

The M1/2/3/4/6/7/8/9/11/18/20 are bad enough but the 3 lanes (N7, N40 & M50) are just abysmal

Couldnt agree more maybe there should be a national lane discipline day :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

JillyQ wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more maybe there should be a national lane discipline day :rolleyes:

Wouldn't that be nice. The RSA should hang up posters "Sure as long as you're not speeding, we don't give a sh*t"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Jesus. wrote: »
    No point in doing that Cinio. Just keep on driving in lane one

I agree it is useless to try and teach maths to a donkey; However, I would only undertake in an absolutely farcical situation - e.g. driver going 50km/h on the overtaking lane.

As stupid/pointless as it sounds, if I am driving left and come up a middle lane hogger I go the trouble of checking mirrors and move 2 lanes back and forth. Why? I am not sure if it's a Cork thing, but drivers around fancy themselves vigilantes - especially the ones you see doing 80 in the overtaking lane. One in two WILL squeeze you towards the armco if you attempt an undertake, in a way that would cause a collision if you didn't back out.
    kbannon wrote: »
    It's only in recent years that drivers are being taught properly so it's not surprising that standards on the whole are poor.
    However, there is a small cohort of arrogant or selfish drivers who deliberately block drivers for some fecked up reason or another.

I would say they still aren't - a while ago I posted about seeing not one but two driving school cars, clearly engaged in driving lessons in that very moment, entering a three-lane dual carriageway and jutting directly in the middle lane as soon as the dotted line appeared on the slip road. I am "happy" to report they keep doing that nearly on a daily basis - and for all the learners in these cars to do exactly the same maneuver, it means it's the way they're told to do by their "instructors". Way to properly educate future drivers.
    Is it considered lane-hogging if someone is driving at the speed limit or slightly over and driving faster than the majority of cars in the slow lane and waiting to pull in behind a car travelling at roughly the same speed as themselves or faster?

Should they have to pull in and slow down to allow someone driving at an excessive speed to overtake them then try to pull back into the overtaking lane?

Honest question.

Certainly not - you have nowhere to go and can't be expected to disappear.
    thomur wrote: »
    Ok, maybe my lack of knowledge but I always thought it was for people who were exiting at the next exit

And here we go, I think we have the silver bullet. I would guess a lot of people think the leftmost lane is for exiting only.
    ironclaw wrote: »
    This I agree with. I speed, no point denying it, but if someone is respecting the limit and overtaking, its not my place to force them out of the way or ride up there backside. They are entitled to be there for the duration of their maneuver. The issue only is if they try to pull out sans indication at the last minute or maintain their position in the overtaking lane for longer than necessary.

Exactly. One small addition - people also need to get out of the mentality that "I indicate, therefore I can move across whenever I like". Check the mirrors and possibly your blind spot - over the shoulder, half a second glance will tell you if something you can't see in the mirror is there, like a motorbike.

In the case of the M50, the leftmost lane IS for exiting only, the auxiliary lane.

More education needs to be included too as to the different markings for the auxilliary lane, as there is already signage about it before the exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

In the case of the M50, the leftmost lane IS for exiting only, the auxiliary lane.

More education needs to be included too as to the different markings for the auxilliary lane, as there is already signage about it before the exit.

The auxillary lane is only in parts of the M50 though, and its clearly marked so there should be no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Most people simply just can't drive. :)

Witnessed someone REVERSING up the M7 on the hard shoulder because they missed the Cork M8 exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

No such thing as slow or fast lanes, come on ppl! How can someone who thinks this be allowed to drive at all :mad:

DakarVert wrote: »
    Most people simply just can't drive. :)

Witnessed someone REVERSING up the M7 on the hard shoulder because they missed the Cork M8 exit.

That doesn't surprise me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

thomur wrote: »
    Don't agree. Cant be vilified for following the law if I follow the speed limit. Can't understand how people justify speeding

You're not following the law. You're in the wrong lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mudstack

There's also the lane hoggers who constantly stay in the overtaking lane driving way over the speed limit.
    They're usually the same ones who drive 2 inches behind you should you dare to pull into the overtaking lane and actually drive at the speed limit to overtake a car or queue of cars.

These drivers make it unsafe for law abiding drivers to pull out into the overtaking lane.

They seem to think that everyone else should stay in the left lane and out of their way while they hog the overtaking lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

There's also the lane hoggers who constantly stay in the overtaking lane driving way over the speed limit.
    They're usually the same ones who drive 2 inches behind you should you dare to pull into the overtaking lane and actually drive at the speed limit to overtake a car or queue of cars.

These drivers make it unsafe for law abiding drivers to pull out into the overtaking lane.

They seem to think that everyone else should stay in the left lane and out of their way while they hog the overtaking lane.

You can hog any lane you want as long as you're going faster than traffic on the lane to your left :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I usually drive above speed limit on motorways, but I'd always pull straight to driving lane after overtaking, even if I know I'll have to move back to overtaking lane again in 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DaveyBhoy

harr wrote: »
    On M50 today not often up that part of the country the amount of cars hogging the overtaking lanes ,one in particular a young lady in a ford KA causing all sorts of problems she was going no more than 40km in the far right over taking lane.
    Got stuck behind her for about 2km no choice in end but to over take on the inside ...anyway just as I was undertaking her a traffic cop flies up behind us and pulls her over but where does she try pull over....yep pull ups on the right ..cops had to guide her over to hard shoulder ..
    Same cop car pulled over a merc driving in over talking lane further up the M50 was not causing any problems and keeping to the speed limit but got pulled I presume for being in the wrong lane.
    Good to see the cops pulling for this...is the M50 always this bad ?

Oh yes. This sounds far too familiar. I drive for a living and I'm always under taking cars. My vehicle is limited to 90km/h so that will give you an example of how slow they are going. The middle lane just seems to be the one they all like to stay in. But again, I have seen the Garda pulling for this. Keep up the good work I say. N7 is notorious for it aswel. If not worse. You're not goin mad my friend ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

You can hog any lane you want as long as you're going faster than traffic on the lane to your left :rolleyes:

That would be overtaking then, not 'hogging', you should never 'hog' a lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You'd have been a lot more accurate had you said
    You can hog any lane you want as long as you're actively overtaking traffic on the lane to your left :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I think the point some people are missing is that when you stay to the left unless you are overtaking it creates a flow that moves everyone along easily and efficiently regardless of speed or speed limits.

Its muppets who think because they're driving the speed limit they can be in any lane, that break the whole system and make it all more dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Funny, because I would say the exact reverse - I suspect it's a matter of perception, where you drive the most is where you see the most of the "lane hogging". Doesn't bide well for the general picture...

Further point in case - I noticed half decent behaviour on the two-lane stretches of the N20, while the Link Road (N40) and N25 could literally be the "poster child" for "worst driving in the country": people jumping directly in the overtaking lane from slip roads, 80kph hoggers, lorries stuck behind somebody going 60 (very often driving a 2.0 turbodiesel, not a weezy Micra) and forced to overtake...tractors with humonguous trailers in the middle lane and general, assorted mayhem and a metric ton of unaccompanied L drivers. But then again, I drive there daily, so it's most likely just sampling bias.

Advertisement