Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

whatever76 wrote: »

It's a great spot. Food is delicious & brilliant atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Mushy wrote: »
    Didn't know it was there, sounds good.

Going to Cornstore tonight, apparently it's good!

quite the opposite from my couple of experiences there! but it would be interesting to hear if they have changed anything.

seems to be popular alright (similar to their sister place BullCoq) but I don't understand how.

Not cheap for what you get, service unbelievably hit and miss and food generally just ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Been to the Cornstore in Cork 3 times and the one in Limerick once in the last 4/5 years. Always enjoyed it to be honest. Always got good food and service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

whatever76 wrote: »

God that review was painful to read. Who the fluich is Eugene?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Hey guys, any recommendations for brunch in the city tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Jurys isn't bad. Think Serendipity is open Sun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

There were a few brunch recommendations a few pages back, been meaning to go to the river lee since as it got a glowing review

The Sextant, I thought was fairly basic, lovely coffee though, Liberty grill is the best but sadly closed tomorrow...perhaps Brick Lane is worth a crack? Menu looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My vote goes to Brick Lane. We had brunch in there last week and it was honestly one the most enjoyable meals I've had, anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Are Paddy the Farmer's doing breakfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Their Facebook page says they do anyway. Can't see what time it starts though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pwurple wrote: »
    God that review was painful to read. Who the fluich is Eugene?

My thoughts exactly.
    Such wanky, in- joke, unfunny journalism.
    Doesn't say, online, who wrote it.
    Was the editor asleep when this crossed their desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

D'Agger wrote: »
    There were a few brunch recommendations a few pages back, been meaning to go to the river lee since as it got a glowing review

Went to the River Lee in the end as it's only down the road from where I live. Was nice! Had Eggs Florentine. One of the eggs were overcooked but was grand. Staff were a bit all over the place. They forgot some of our order and then mis-charged us. I'd say they were just wrecked though, was busy and they probably were working for breakfast also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I thought the same. Food was nice, standard enough brunch stuff. Setting is very nice on the terrace outside, but the staff were all over the place when I was there too. They forgot to bring maple syrup and then took around 10 minutes to get it. My coffee didn't arrive with my eggs either. Potential to be very good but on a Sunday options are limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Jes the cornstore is a complete waste of time. Too loud and the food isn't great at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Milly33 wrote: »
    Jes the cornstore is a complete waste of time. Too loud and the food isn't great at all

Really? I thought it was loverly!

Mmm yep ate there a good few times and had three Christmas parties there and it was always rubbish... Maybe there has been a change

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Cornstore in Limerick is really good. Can't speak for Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Tried Coqbull the other day. Really really excellent. Music wasn't as intrusive as some had said and good service. Looking forward to going back.

Yeah it is nice but there is a change when it comes evening time. We noticed it with the music but it still is on the hit list..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭rob316

First time I went to Coqbull I hated it, I was sat under a blaring speaker and my burger was just meh. I tried it again and I loved it, I've been a number times since and its very good burger joint. Their sweet potato fries are my favourite.

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried that new place on Victoria road next to the tool hire place? Looks like a cafe / restaurant / wine bar? SALT. Their facebook page is confusing as heck, because it's under the name Meades 126, and they seem to be open very early, maybe 9am, to fairly late. https://www.facebook.com/meades126
    And another link here
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/SALT-food-wine/1627686194118974?sk=timeline

I've gone past a few times and it looks inviting, but have not been in yet.

Only passed it yesterday too, and it looks lovely. When Meade's was in these guys hands I really liked it, so hopefully this will do well for them.

No we were going to call last night as it is close but stayed in... It is odd as we live close by and I work close and there has been no flyers dropped in or info. Even two of the bosses went and got a coffee when it first opened and said really they were told nothing. They took a card it has salt and a pair of glasses on it.. That's it...

Might try it at the weekend just to see but very bad advertising or well none

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Think I'm gonna try that salt place Saturday night, not sure if we'll we having food but will let ye know what it's like anyway.

leahyl wrote: »
    Think I'm gonna try that salt place Saturday night, not sure if we'll we having food but will let ye know what it's like anyway.

Oh do! I dropped in last night for a quick look and a glass of wine. (it's on my route home). Didn't eat, but the food other people were eating looked very tasty. I'm being a bit judgemental but I think I can guess at the food style from the very neatly waxed handlebar moustache the guy behind the counter was sporting. ;)

I thought it was tapas, but they were closing up when we got there at 9:30, so I couldn't quiz them (I thought tapas went a bit later). What is an amuse bouche burger I wonder? Let us know leahyl. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

pwurple wrote: »
    Oh do! I dropped in last night for a quick look and a glass of wine. (it's on my route home). Didn't eat, but the food other people were eating looked very tasty. I'm being a bit judgemental but I think I can guess at the food style from the very neatly waxed handlebar moustache the guy behind the counter was sporting. ;)

I thought it was tapas, but they were closing up when we got there at 9:30, so I couldn't quiz them (I thought tapas went a bit later). What is an amuse bouche burger I wonder? Let us know leahyl. :D

Website here http://saltcork.ie/

yeah finally something still think tis weird they don't advertise.. Let us know if its nice leahyl. Did you book a spot or just wondering in.

When you say advertising, Milly, do you mean flyers and that kind of thing? I've not noticed much advertising for other new places that open, it sort of goes by word of mouth in a small city like Cork.

Having said that, I do have a "no junk mail" sign on my door, so perhaps I'm missing out. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Milly33 wrote: »
    ... Did you book a spot or just wondering in.

On the bottom of the page under opening hours it says "No bookings walkin only"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Salt's prices seem to be very good anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement