Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

sporina wrote: »
    I mailed the manager with all my issues and the reply identified with them all -but with no apology - she just justified all the issues...

said that if i was to rebook that i should let them know in advance - i think not.. shudder...

she did say though that i should have mentioned the poor quality during the meal but as i was there with guests which i had invited, i did not want to create any more drama to an already dramatic dining experience ie having to ask for EVERYTHING - twice - for our order, to drinks, to water, to sides... etc... just = never again...

Eek, that's bad. Electric is one of my "go-to" restaurants in town for a nice relaxed, good quality meal so it's disappointing to hear these bad reports... makes me wanna call in and see for myself :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If you have facebook send Ernest a message about your experience their, he really has a lot of pride for his business so won't be happy to hear about it. I had an issue in one of his bars recently, I had no luck with the middle management so I went directly to him and to his credit he sorted it out very quickly and apologised for the attitude of 2 of his staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

greenfrogs wrote: »
    The only gripe I have was paying €2.50 for a soft drink. It's so overpriced as it is only for a 200ml bottle. I know it's standard to pay this amount but it's actually ridiculous. I only got it as it was a lovely sunny day and a coke sounded refreshing. It also came warm and without lemon.

Don't start me about the teeny-tiny 200ml bottles! As if it wasn't enough of a rip-off when it was €2.50 for a 250ml bottle - they had to make them smaller! Luckily, there is only one licensed premises where I buy the junior Bays a mineral - the bar of St. Finbarrs GAA club. €1 for an ice-cold can (330ml) with as much ice and lemon as you want!

€3 for a pint of Fosters there, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Don't start me about the teeny-tiny 200ml bottles! As if it wasn't enough of a rip-off when it was €2.50 for a 250ml bottle - they had to make them smaller! Luckily, there is only one licensed premises where I buy the junior Bays a mineral - the bar of St. Finbarrs GAA club. €1 for an ice-cold can (330ml) with as much ice and lemon as you want!

€3 for a pint of Fosters there, btw.

I don't drink so I'm all about the soft drinks. 200ml is just little over half a can, it's ridiculous. Nothing nicer on a warm day though than an ice cold drink with a lemon.

I don't think restaurants care though. However, if I have the choice between 2 food wise equal restaurants and one serves a can and the other a 200 ml bottle then I will always choose the former.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Glad its not just me! Those tiny bottles of soft drink are a total rip off,I just get water now with a meal, or alcohol before it. It looks like every place is doing it now pity the price wasn't as tiny as those drinks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Had0ken

Went to Quinlans seafood bar around Price or Cook street, can never remember which one is which. It's basically Lennox's on a plate.

Had0ken wrote: »
    Went to Quinlans seafood bar around Price or Cook street, can never remember which one is which. It's basically Lennox's on a plate.

What do you mean? Is everything battered fish and chips with ketchup/vinegar/salt? I was looking forward to going there but not if it's just a dolled up fish and chips shop... is it even any good as a fish and chips place?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

Bacchus wrote: »
    Eek, that's bad. Electric is one of my "go-to" restaurants in town for a nice relaxed, good quality meal so it's disappointing to hear these bad reports... makes me wanna call in and see for myself :o

well i would just go in and look around before ordering if i were you.. god it was bad - i'm mortified actually - i brought visitors there.. i could not have picked a worse place.. on that night anyway

sporina wrote: »
    well i would just go in and look around before ordering if i were you.. god it was bad - i'm mortified actually - i brought visitors there.. i could not have picked a worse place.. on that night anyway

God that's not good at all. Cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I went to Market Lane for lunch today. I got the steak sandwich. It was delicious. The steak was pink and tender, the baguette was so crusty and the sauce was delicious.

The only gripe I have was paying €2.50 for a soft drink. It's so overpriced as it is only for a 200ml bottle. I know it's standard to pay this amount but it's actually ridiculous. I only got it as it was a lovely sunny day and a coke sounded refreshing. It also came warm and without lemon.

surprised at that always found market lane to have great service even when their busy. Only criticism would be I'd like to see some more creative food :P

• Advertisement

With the sun out yesterday, we walked across town to Iyers. I've never been, my wife has a few times. Really nice, lovely, simple, tasty Indian food. Perfect for a casual bite. It was €20 for 3 dishes - Samosas, a rice & beetroot dish, and a large uthappam with 3 dipping sauces.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pabmac

With the sun out yesterday, we walked across town to Iyers. I've never been, my wife has a few times. Really nice, lovely, simple, tasty Indian food. Perfect for a casual bite. It was €20 for 3 dishes - Samosas, a rice & beetroot dish, and a large uthappam with 3 dipping sauces.

Can't wait to try this place. Also heard good things about the White Rabbit on MacCurtain Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Stop will ya. I've never seen them do savage crab claws, calamari or a shrimp caesar salad in Lennox's. If you get the fish and chips fine- but they have plenty of other stuff. And it's not just the one fish you have a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Since when did lennox's do monkfish with hollandaise?

Well that puts a different spin on it... must check out the menu and pop my head in the door next time I'm walking past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I went to Quinlans last week. Got the sea-bass, was lovely! Some things on the menu do seems a little bit pricey. However a lot of fish is pricey in general.

Staff are also very friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Colser wrote: »
    Glad its not just me that thinks this.I thought is was a one off when I ordered a fish pie that was fish floating in water,went back again with a voucher and 3 of us ordered the fish and chips which was very mediocre and if I remember correctly was almost 20e each. I wont be returning which is a shame as its in a lovely spot.

Out of curiosity I looked up Rising Tide on Tripadvisor and plenty of very poor reports, a lot mentioning staffing issues which normally means they're not being treated well or it's poorly run in general.

You'd get over that though if the food was half decent. Rising Tide is actually very bad now though for food.

Shame as it was a decent little spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Huguenot recently. Excellent. Most enjoyable. Reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Mmm. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EasycomeEasygo

kcb wrote: »
    Out of curiosity I looked up Rising Tide on Tripadvisor and plenty of very poor reports, a lot mentioning staffing issues which normally means they're not being treated well or it's poorly run in general.

You'd get over that though if the food was half decent. Rising Tide is actually very bad now though for food.

Shame as it was a decent little spot.

I went there about 2 years ago and it was the worst food I've ever had in a restaurant, never gone back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I went there about 2 years ago and it was the worst food I've ever had in a restaurant, never gone back.

We used to quite like it there but a few years ago we went for Sunday lunch and they had dumbed down the menu to real lowest common denominator stuff. It was terrible. Never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Good news about a new BBQ place opening,I tried White rabbit but I wasn't to impressed with the meat there, which is a pity because everything else is good,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Tabacso

Stop will ya. I've never seen them do savage crab claws, calamari or a shrimp caesar salad in Lennox's. If you get the fish and chips fine- but they have plenty of other stuff. And it's not just the one fish you have a choice.

My girlfriend actually got the shrimp Caesar salad now that you mention it. It was effing DRENCHED in the Caesar sauce. A real heavy soggy mess.

I got the fish and chips, and it was just chipper food on a plate. That's the only way I can describe it, sorry to ruffle your jimmies.

I also got the Tiramisu dessert, which was heavy and tough as rubber and very hard to get down. I left half of it on the plate. The table beside me couldn't finish theirs either. I was also waiting almost 15 minutes for it. For a slice of tiramisu.

Maybe the crab claws are nice, who knows? Not me.

By the way, I agree with the comment above. Staff are friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ordered takeaway from Miyazaki on Thursday night. Absolutely delicious - top notch Japanese food. I wish there was a place like this in Dublin.

dudara wrote: »
    Ordered takeaway from Miyazaki on Thursday night. Absolutely delicious - top notch Japanese food. I wish there was a place like this in Dublin.

Agree wholeheartedly. Very tasty food. Just check the receipt. It's probably innocent enough but twice I've had a drink added to my bill when I didn't order one. Quite bizarre really as I don't think it's the kind of place to try and pull a fast one like that.

Not a restaurant but I've really been enjoying Alchemy bookshop/cafe on Barrack's Street in the past few months. Great spot for a cake, cake, listen to some chilled tunes and read the paper on a weekend. They're opening another cafe (a record-shop/cafe one this time) on Douglas Street in the near future I believe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Not a restaurant but I've really been enjoying Alchemy bookshop/cafe on Barrack's Street in the past few months. Great spot for a cake, cake, listen to some chilled tunes and read the paper on a weekend. They're opening another cafe (a record-shop/cafe one this time) on Douglas Street in the near future I believe too.

Absolutely delighted to hear one's opening on Douglas St. because I've been meaning to pop to Alchemy after hearing great things, with ages, unfortunately I've yet to make it, just that bit far away! Douglas St. on the other hand :)

There was a write up about it in the indo this weekend the mother was telling me yesterday but gave a quick search there & can't see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Visited Tedo at the weekend - lovely spot with a nice atmosphere, although pretty small! The staff were very friendly; the food was really nice, had the "irish" quesadillas (had black and white pudding, egg and sausage in them!). Had dessert of peach and walnut cake which tasted nice but it was a bit dry, would have been nicer if it was more moist. All in all though, a really nice place, would return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

whatever76 wrote: »

Didn't know it was there, sounds good.

Going to Cornstore tonight, apparently it's good!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement