Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It is a design, build & maintain contract so the responsibility lies with BAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Quackster wrote: »
    It is a design, build & maintain contract so the responsibility lies with BAM.

Castleisland bypass closed for one day about 3/4 months back to repair similar problem and cut grass.Dont you know KCC NEED 10 different crews for a huge job like that !!!!!!

Castleisland bypass closed for one day about 3/4 months back to repair similar problem and cut grass.Dont you know KCC NEED 10 different crews for a huge job like that !!!!!!

Castleisland Bypass is also a design, build and maintain contract with BAM so that work was carried out by BAM, not KCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Still not repaired :eek:

There is loads of the central post and rope destroyed now. And some moron went straight through the ballybeggan roundabout a few weeks ago, destroying the Armco in the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

There is loads of the central post and rope destroyed now. And some moron went straight through the ballybeggan roundabout a few weeks ago, destroying the Armco in the other side.

Just goes to show the standard of driving in Kerry,How so many people are managing to crash into the post on such a good road is mind boggling.
    Speed and stupidity mixed together i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Just goes to show the standard of driving in Kerry,How so many people are managing to crash into the post on such a good road is mind boggling.
    Speed and stupidity mixed together i suppose.

When the damage was originally done there were skidmarks from the left-hand lane across the the overtaking lane and into the barriers. It's possible someone had a blowout maybe.

As for the standard of driving, I think the Irish as a race have some genetic flaw when it comes to indicators and roundabouts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

xxyyzz wrote: »
    When the damage was originally done there were skidmarks from the left-hand lane across the the overtaking lane and into the barriers. It's possible someone had a blowout maybe.

As for the standard of driving, I think the Irish as a race have some genetic flaw when it comes to indicators and roundabouts.

....and yellow boxes, and the latest one is going through red lights! :confused::eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

What work was carried out last week, that they had to close one whole section for 4 days?

I haven't noticed anything, the Armco is still in bits!

What work was carried out last week, that they had to close one whole section for 4 days?

I haven't noticed anything, the Armco is still in bits!

Some extra fencing panels were being installed, up near the Leith side. They looked like they werent needed at all really as usually they block off the view to houses etc.
    indeed the Armco and post and rope is still wrecked. Loads of it mashed up at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Some extra fencing panels were being installed, up near the Leith side. They looked like they werent needed at all really as usually they block off the view to houses etc.
    indeed the Armco and post and rope is still wrecked. Loads of it mashed up at this stage.

Does the fencing deaden the sound of passing traffic for the houses?

I can't see any other purpose of them!

• Advertisement

Does the fencing deaden the sound of passing traffic for the houses?

I can't see any other purpose of them!

This may be the main reason. There must have been complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

They have put these fences up also in two location on the Killarney road section at the Flemby and Farmers Bridge exits

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Bypass closed 9am to 4 30pm between Ballygarry roundabout and Ballybeggan roundabout all next week.Was allready closed for three days last week -reason=to remove arrows painted on road and do some work on cycle/pedestrian path !!Can you believe that in Tralee we close our most vital traffic route for such trivial work. Has it not registered with KCC that this bypass has two lanes and you can close one lane while working on the other. Observed work last week on cycle path was one four wheel drive vehicle pulling a trailer which was parked on cycle path while both traffic lanes remained empty but closed ???The mind boggles

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Bypass closed 9am to 4 30pm between Ballygarry roundabout and Ballybeggan roundabout all next week.Was allready closed for three days last week -reason=to remove arrows painted on road and do some work on cycle/pedestrian path !!Can you believe that in Tralee we close our most vital traffic route for such trivial work. Has it not registered with KCC that this bypass has two lanes and you can close one lane while working on the other. Observed work last week on cycle path was one four wheel drive vehicle pulling a trailer which was parked on cycle path while both traffic lanes remained empty but closed ???The mind boggles
    I heard this on Radio Kerry yesterday and am inclined to agree. This road is barely 2 years old and has to be closed for 3 days to remove arrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I assume they are the arrows that appeared to direct you into the oncoming lane? Does anyone know what the official correct purpose of those arrows are as I've seen it on other roads elsewhere in Ireland as well?

ongarboy wrote: »
    I assume they are the arrows that appeared to direct you into the oncoming lane? Does anyone know what the official correct purpose of those arrows are as I've seen it on other roads elsewhere in Ireland as well?

They are to warn overtaking traffic to pull back in and they are certainly not unique to this country. These arrows were not on the bypass as the bypass is a dual-carriageway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Quackster wrote: »
    They are to warn overtaking traffic to pull back in and they are certainly not unique to this country. These arrows were not on the bypass as the bypass is a dual-carriageway.

Those arrows are on the Tralee to Bealagrellagh section of the N22 Killarney Rd that was opened along with the bypass, which isn't the section closed at the minute. They are on the road coming up to any part of the road that undulates due to there being an underpass for a local road. (There are no overpasses on that section of the N22). Can't say I had any issue with arrows on any part of the route.

amadain wrote: »
    Are these not on the new Killarney Road and not on the bypass?

I don't recall them being on the rules of the road when I did my test about 15 years ago! :) If overtaking is not allowed due to an approaching ghost island, shouldn't the safety measure be continuous white line much further back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 MacLondon

Google Maps have finally updated satellite imagery, although Tralee town images have not (as yet) been updated. Most of the bypass is covered by the new imagery, but there's still the old imagery at Camp/Lidl end of bypass. It's possible that the updated satellite imagery covers well beyond Tralee, but I only scanned around the Tralee area.

I received an email today with notification of the new imagery so I assume it was added today, so possibly new imagery of Tralee town will be added shortly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.2827367,-9.6668865,1624m/data=!3m1!1e3

How do you see the NEW updated satellite imagery ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MacLondon

Using the link you posted, if you look at the Ballinorig overpass, you should see the overpass is 'split' vertically by different satellite imagery. On the east side of the overpass is the new imagery, but the imagery on the west side must be from about 3 years ago.

Also, if you look at https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.253693,-9.6774492,105m/data=!3m1!1e3 just south of the Camp roundabout, you should see the Killarney road appear to vanish at its northern end.

If you can't see the new satellite imagery, maybe you'll need to force refresh the map (Ctrl + R).

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Burger King and Subway are still in a green field

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

The Geohive imagery is more recent showing the partially constructed road. http://map.geohive.ie/mobile.html Click the "digital globe" layer.

Has there ever been consideration given to opening an access from Manor West to the roundabout where the bypass meets the new Killarney Rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

marno21 wrote: »
    Has there ever been consideration given to opening an access from Manor West to the roundabout where the bypass meets the new Killarney Rd?

Afaik there are plans for this in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I recall this being discussed recently -- on Radio Kerry I think - and got the impression also that it was definitely in the pipeline, and in the near future. A quick glance at a map would suggest that it was the original idea all along. It would give access to Manor for all bypass traffic but just wonder would it become a rat run for people going into Tralee itself, turning an already busy car park into a through road.

Yes, plans were submitted to Kerry Co Co late last year and the current status is Further Information required from the developers. Below is the link to the details surrounding the proposed development.

http://mapping.kerrycoco.ie/PlanningEnquiryLitev424/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=19a-151173&FromList=true

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »

Yes, plans were submitted to Kerry Co Co late last year and the current status is Further Information required from the developers.  Below is the link to the details surrounding the proposed development.

http://mapping.kerrycoco.ie/PlanningEnquiryLitev424/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=19a-151173&FromList=true
    An update on this. An Bord Pleanala have refused a link road between Manor West and the Tralee bypass.  A bit disappointing I think, as this would have offered a great linkage to Manor and avoid congestion at the Rathass roundabout.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/247425.htm

Advertisement