Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

keane2097 wrote: »
    Just to point out that Kevin Keane is no relation :pac:

Just Roy and Robbie so? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Some of you gaa lads make me laugh. There is this superror attitude ye have towards soccer and other sports but then ye also have an inferiority complex. The Keane incident has nothing to do with soccer or a mindset it has to do with bad rules implemented badly. A strike is a strike regardless of the force, how could a rule be enforced that require an official to evaluate the force of a punch. I dare say a slap that would hurt Murphy would hospitalise me for example.

Jesus. I wasn't trying to sound pretentious. And I'm by no means "a gaa lad", I spend most of my time following soccer.

The point is that physicality plays a big part in the GAA, in a different way to soccer. They're two very different games so I'm not even going to get into an argument about it.

And as for the whole "a slap that would hurt murphy would put me in hospital" thing: ridiculous. They're both inter county players in the middle of a game. He knows what he's doing - despite it being stupid and needless. Keane isn't going around looking to knock seven shades of shíte into you, so what the fúck has it got to do anything???

• Registered Users Posts: 48,163 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just to point out that Kevin Keane is no relation :pac:

surprised you have not been accused of BEING Kevin Keane yet ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I think its amusing watching posters come up with their own interpretation of the striking rule. He struck Murphy in the face. There was even a tv close up as he did it. Saying that you want incidents like this to stay in the game so as to keep the game a contact sport betrays a lack of understanding as to what "contact sport" actually means.

Jesus. I wasn't trying to sound pretentious. And I'm by no means "a gaa lad", I spend most of my time following soccer.

The point is that physicality plays a big part in the GAA, in a different way to soccer. They're two very different games so I'm not even going to get into an argument about it.

And as for the whole "a slap that would hurt murphy would put me in hospital" thing: ridiculous. They're both inter county players in the middle of a game. He knows what he's doing - despite it being stupid and needless. Keane isn't going around looking to knock seven shades of shíte into you, so what the fúck has it got to do anything???

Sure no need for rules at all! Let them at it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Some of you gaa lads make me laugh. There is this superror attitude ye have towards soccer and other sports but then ye also have an inferiority complex.
    Your in a GAA forum as well yourself, so that means you are a "Gaa Lad" what ever that means.
    So we can take it that what a man a said to me about runner "A runner is a lad who afraid to take a hit".

As someone who has taken part in a lot of sports both team and individual I certainly see no superiority or inferiority complexs going on. I'd say the one sport that might do that is rugby, but as someone who played that for year, I think that is only the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

km79 wrote:
    surprised you have not been accused of BEING Kevin Keane yet

What you trying to say Kenny?

What you trying to say Kenny?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

For the crack let us look beyond Dublin….who would you rather face in the final. Kerry or Tyrone ?
    For me its Kerry. Think there game style will suit us better...compared to the nordy "park the bus" style of football. I also feel the chances of doing back to back championship wins in this modern era in football is lesser than it was 10-20 years ago.
    I think when the dubs could not back up 2013 by winning last year and them one of the most professional set-ups in my eyes then I don’t think anyone can. I also think we have a score to settle with Kerry from the semi-finals last year and IMO there is nothing to spur a team on more than revenge (Mayo v Donegal 2013 SF). Thoughts anyone ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Ascii wrote: »
    For the crack let us look beyond Dublin….who would you rather face in the final. Kerry or Tyrone ?
    For me its Kerry. Think there game style will suit us better...compared to the nordy "park the bus" style of football. I also feel the chances of doing back to back championship wins in this modern era in football is lesser than it was 10-20 years ago.
    I think when the dubs could not back up 2013 by winning last year and them one of the most professional set-ups in my eyes then I don’t think anyone can. I also think we have a score to settle with Kerry from the semi-finals last year and IMO there is nothing to spur a team on more than revenge (Mayo v Donegal 2013 SF). Thoughts anyone ?
    Stop taking Crack !:P
    Lets beat Dublin first and then if we do lets beat whoever is in the final.

Its not as if we win that many that we can be fussy about who we beat (if) in a final:P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Only Kerry will do for me. Any All Ireland title is a huge one, particularly for us, but doing a job on Kerry in the final having failed to beat them in the championship since '96 IIRC, would be an incredible way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

My god, I know this isn't going to happen this year but jesus this gets you pumped. Cannot wait for it!!!!!!!!!!! Win or lose, either way there will be tears.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/809/338198/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

tacofries wrote: »
    My god, I know this isn't going to happen this year but jesus this gets you pumped. Cannot wait for it!!!!!!!!!!! Win or lose, either way there will be tears.

Yes it's unlikely to happen this year,here's hoping it's tears of joy.I'll don't think I'll ever get over the sense of elation I felt coming out of Croker after the semi final in 2006.It was one we won very much against the head and the Dublin supporters were so sound out after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yes it's unlikely to happen this year,here's hoping it's tears of joy.I'll don't think I'll ever get over the sense of elation I felt coming out of Croker after the semi final in 2006.It was one we won very much against the head and the Dublin supporters were so sound out after it.

2006 SF was the best sporting event I was ever at.

Robbie Keane's late equalizer v Germany in Japan was amazing.
    Ciaran McDonald's late winner v Dublin topped it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Robbie Keane's late equalizer v Germany in Japan was amazing. Ciaran McDonald's late winner v Dublin topped it.

It was something alright. One of those days when you are just beaten no excuses. I remember watching him in a club game that year in tng. Some player.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

Stoner wrote: »
    It was something alright. One of those days when you are just beaten no excuses. I remember watching him in a club game that year in tng. Some player.

I recall the same feeling of 2013.

It is great leaving Croke Park with the knowledge that your team played its heart out, the only explanation for the loss is they came up against a better team and knowing that you attended a very, very special game.

Here's hoping for at least one classic in the last two games: if not two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Jippo wrote: »
    I recall the same feeling of 2013.

It is great leaving Croke Park with the knowledge that your team played its heart out, the only explanation for the loss is they came up against a better team and knowing that you attended a very, very special game.

Here's hoping for at least one classic in the last two games: if not two.

A draw and a replay down in Limerick.

DDC1990 wrote: »

sure why not
    we are used to the venue now and the dubs aren't :D
    was watching back highlights of the 2006 game
    that is easily the most elated I've been after a game
    what a day
    countered with the utter utter depression of Limerick last year
    that was worse than any of the finals ......

DDC1990 wrote: »

I congratulated the GAA on their choice of Limerick last year.

And I will congratulate them again this year when they make the obvious choice of Tullamore as a venue for a possible Mayo v Dublin replay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

tacofries wrote: »

Was off work today and ended up watching both this and the 2012 semi. I'm absolutely buzzing for this game!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Anyone thought about Mayo options for the 15 for 15.

Id go for
    Higgens corner back .
    If I were to squeeze in a second it would be McDonald .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Padkir wrote: »
    Was off work today and ended up watching both this and the 2012 semi. I'm absolutely buzzing for this game!! :D

Absolutely buzzing,can't come soon enough.

Keith Higgins and Kieran McDonald are the two obvious candidates,tbh I think we'll be lucky to get one.Fierce competition!

Kerry definitely

As you say it's a game style that would suit us better, no frustrating 15 men behind the 21 year line.

And for the following other reasons in no particular order.

Since we last beat them they have beaten us in 3 finals, 2 semi finals and 1 quarter final.

We would be stopping a 2 in a row

And in winning it we would have beaten Donegal, Dublin and Kerry, which is about as tough a road as you can get, and throw in Galway away along with it.

That's getting way ahead of ourselves but sure what else are these days between games for, after Sunday we can concentrate on the Dublin game in earnest.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Absolutely buzzing,can't come soon enough.

Keith Higgins and Kieran McDonald are the two obvious candidates,tbh I think we'll be lucky to get one.Fierce competition!

Higgins definitely

Not sure about MCDonald, that forward 6 is fairly congested with all Ireland winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Higgins definitely

Not sure about MCDonald, that forward 6 is fairly congested with all Ireland winners.

Gone through it and Higgins would have it and possibly moving Thomas oshea to fit him in .
    Thought this would be a doddle but the forwards are not at easy as you'd think . Trying to fit in 8 or 9 into 6 is proving difficult .

The lack of All Irelands will hurt Mayo lads' chances on that team. I love Higgins, a Mayo great but he'll be up against lads like Tom McCarthy etc who have All Irelands coming out their ears.

Considering who the Judges are, i expect All Ireland medals to play a big part in selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

Not a hope for me. As I mentioned, there was no intent or potential for damage in that little incident. If Keane deserves red, so does Murphy who if anything got away with a more forceful strike just because it was with the same hand that had a fistful of Murphy's jersey.

We're then at the point where we're forced to say that Donnacha O'Connor deserved a red card for striking, Lee Keegan deserved a red for his little leg spasm - does Hughes deserve the line for his hair ruffling??

The farther down the line you go with "zero tolerance" the more farcical your rules, and then your sport become. We see this laid out before us in soccer where rigid adherence to the rules is the only consideration for refs.

All these incidents are actually coming up because of the 'zero tolerance' idea rather than being cut out by it. Players now know that provoking the opposition to the smallest bit of reaction gets them sent off, so we have the likes of Murphy grabbing Keane and shaking him around then running to the umpire when he gets a little clip.

If the ref is empowered to call that as the pathetic little sideshow it is we can all get on with our lives, nobody will be in hospital, no late night cloak and dagger meetings of the CHC etc. We'd also have way less of this septic diving and a game we can be a bit prouder of IMO.

Just reading that. Brilliant post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Kalyke wrote: »

I have never seen him talk as much about this side of the game that he can't touch and the opposition(O'Shea) as he always sprouts the line "we look at ourselves, improve on our performance etc.". I think he knows he is going to get a game and he is feeling the heat. He is looking to make an edge for themselves. This shows weakness imo

• Advertisement

I have never seen him talk as much about this side of the game that he can't touch and the opposition(O'Shea) as he always sprouts the line "we look at ourselves, improve on our performance etc.". I think he knows he is going to get a game and he is feeling the heat. He is looking to make an edge for themselves. This shows weakness imo

Gavin could be feeling the heat alright.

He has had to spend the year giving the " we look at ourselves, improve our performance etc" line because of who they have played.
    He knows its BS but at the same time he cannot come out and say "we learned nothing from Longford because they were worse than useless"

But now he has a game on his hands, a game that Dublin ate automatic favourites for, and a championship that they have been favourites for since August 31st 2014.

He is under a lot of pressure to get it right after last year and he is trying hard to deflect the attention from him and his team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement