Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

To lose one semi-final with that Dublin team would be unfortunate to lose two might be considered careless. So the Dubs are under pressure alright.

Hopefully we can use that to our advantage and emerge victorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Eh, the Dublin management and players are going for their third All Ireland in four years.

Mayo are going for their first All Ireland win since Moses was a boy.

But Dublin are the ones feeling the pressure?

Aaaaaaaaallllllllllrighty then ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Eh, the Dublin management and players are going for their third All Ireland in four years.

Let's analyze it a bit deeper.

Since 2011 this Dublin squad have been seen as the most professional outfit in the history of the game, great players, big sponsorship deals, home games in Croke Park.

And they have delivered, AIs in '11 and '13 with the expected hangover in '12.
    Three league titles in a row.

But then there is 2014.
    The year we all expected to see two in a row, great team, great squad, no real competition, it was all set up for them.
    But then they screwed up against what turned out to be a average enough Donegal team.

And since that day the pressure has been to prove that it was nothing more than a off day, rather than a case of a Emperor without any clothes.

Mayo on the other hand are the perennial losers, always second best, questionable mentality etc.

Some including myself wondered if they would even get this far.

So now you see how all the pressure is on Dublin.

Blah blah blah blah blah....1951.....blah blah blah blah....64 years......blah blah blah..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Blah blah blah blah blah....1951.....blah blah blah blah....64 years......blah blah blah..... :D

I'm surprised ya forgot "the curse" as well :pac:

• Advertisement

Oh no, I didn't forget it.

I'm just too polite to bring it up.

You're welcome. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I agree with Fr.Tod.

The pressure is certainly on Dublin after last year's failure to at least make the final.

When Holmes and Conollly took over from Horan, the expectation was not to win an All-Ireland but to continue Horan's good work. If we fail to beat Dublin next Sunday the knives won't be out for them, if Dublin collapse against Mayo however, then Gavin will come under serious pressure - that's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

Some amount of ****e talk here.

Be certain Dublin will produce a performance on Sunday. Whether its good enough or not remains to seen but this invisible and imaginary, yet always somehow real pressure:confused:, in the case of Dublin will have absolutely no impact on the game. To suggest otherwise demonstrates stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,083 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

corny wrote: »
    Some amount of ****e talk here.

Be certain Dublin will produce a performance on Sunday. Whether its good enough or not remains to seen but this invisible and imaginary, yet always somehow real pressure:confused:, in the case of Dublin will have absolutely no impact on the game. To suggest otherwise demonstrates stupidity.

Why do people have to be so confrontational and dismissive discussing sport on the Internet?:confused:

'Invisible' psychological factors are an important component of any sport, gaelic football perhaps more than most. There have been enough cases of teams losing to patently inferior opponents over the years, such as New Zealand at successive rugby World Cups, to put up at least a prima facie case for the relevance of this supposedly illusory 'pressure', or weight of expectation, or whatever you want to call it. How do you explain Dublin's defeat to Donegal last year?

Why do people have to be so confrontational and dismissive discussing sport on the Internet?:confused:

'Invisible' psychological factors are an important component of any sport, gaelic football perhaps more than most. There have been enough cases of teams losing to patently inferior opponents over the years, such as New Zealand at successive rugby World Cups, to put up at least a prima facie case for the relevance of this supposedly illusory 'pressure', or weight of expectation, or whatever you want to call it. How do you explain Dublin's defeat to Donegal last year?

Missed goal chances in the first half and our half backs going wanderly wagon. It's hardly rocket science. :rolleyes:

Of course pressure plays a role in how managers and players perform. But Jim Gavin stated that Aidan O'Shea is the in form player in the country, because he IS the in form player in the country. Even the bookies have him down as such. So it's a bit daft to suggest that Gavin is agreeing with what everyone else in the country is saying, simply because he is feeling "the pressure".

• Advertisement

Missed goal chances in the first half and our half backs going wanderly wagon. It's hardly rocket science. :rolleyes:

Of course pressure plays a role in how managers and players perform. But Jim Gavin stated that Aidan O'Shea is the in form player in the country, because he IS the in form player in the country. Even the bookies have him down as such. So it's a bit daft to suggest that Gavin is agreeing with what everyone else in the country is saying, simply because he is feeling "the pressure".

I'm not suggesting that it's because of his AOS comments that I now think Gavin is under pressure

I have always thought that he would be under pressure because they as whole screwed up so badly last year v Donegal

Over all I think Dublin are under more pressure in this game than Mayo, but how that pressure will manifest itself on the day I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

Wouldn't be so precious. I didn't mean to be aggressive.

How do i explain Dublins defeat to Donegal? They lost to a better team or a better performance on the day. It happens. They didn't have a divine right to win.

Did the 'pressure' get to them? Again, and i'm sorry if this offends you, you (not you personally) would have to be stupid to suggest that as a contributory factor. To do so would ignore the tactical nuances of that game and the fact Dublin have demonstrated time and again the highest mental resolve in pressure situations.

So Mayo are up next.

At the start of the year I wondered how this team would do.

If they did not beat Galway that was probably that, but if we did I thought this SF was always on.

I was concerned that the losses of the last few years and the efforts put in would weigh heavily on thses guys.

But at the same time they did not need massive overhaul but just a few changes here and there.

And that's what has happened. AOS in at FF, Diarmuid O Connor on the wing and the role that Barry Moran played v Donegal are all the types of little changes that have seemed to work.

But at the end of the day Galway, Sligo and Donegal are not Dublin, and its a Dublin team that needs to atone for last year.
    Dublin will create goal chances, unlike Donegal.

I think they have the ability to win it, I think they have the mentality to win it, but they need to be really sharp on the day, and play to 100%.

The rewards are there to be taken, Kerry are no juggernaut.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

So Mayo are up next.

At the start of the year I wondered how this team would do.

If they did not beat Galway that was probably that, but if we did I thought this SF was always on.

I was concerned that the losses of the last few years and the efforts put in would weigh heavily on thses guys.

But at the same time they did not need massive overhaul but just a few changes here and there.

And that's what has happened. AOS in at FF, Diarmuid O Connor on the wing and the role that Barry Moran played v Donegal are all the types of little changes that have seemed to work.

But at the end of the day Galway, Sligo and Donegal are not Dublin, and its a Dublin team that needs to atone for last year.
    Dublin will create goal chances, unlike Donegal.

I think they have the ability to win it, I think they have the mentality to win it, but they need to be really sharp on the day, and play to 100%.

The rewards are there to be taken, Kerry are no juggernaut.

Don't mean to be getting ahead of myself here (still the small matter of Dublin to conquer first) but this mentality that Kerry aren't a "juggernaut" is very deceptive. They may be an ageing team with their very best years behind them, but what they have that we desperately lack, is championship pedigree. They know how to win the big one, they thrive under the pressure. Kerry were by no means the best team in Ireland last year, and their path to Sam may have been strewn with controversy and good fortune, but that's not entirely down to luck. These things tend to go the way of the experienced and proven teams. We haven't beaten Kerry in a championship game since 1996, because they have been a top, top team since then, and we are completely unproven (no matter how many finals we reached) until we go ahead and win the thing.

Totally agree with you on everything else. I think we have the beating of Dublin in midfield on Sunday too, even the class of MDMA will be overpowered by Parsons IMO, Dublin will have to be very smart with their kickout strategy, but unlike Sligo, who miserably failed at this, they have the class in the half back line to play the short game. Shouldn't be a huge issue for us though because our patience and judgement in front of the posts has greatly improved and the amount of wides of past years has been cut down dramatically.

I'm fully aware of the class of this Dublin team, but I'm as optimistic as I've ever been going up against them. This will be epic viewing for the neutral.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

How do you explain Dublin's defeat to Donegal last year?

Not good enough to break down their system .
    Sticking to a game plan that had delivered wins against McGuinness before. A stubborn approach to the game by following a game plan that didn't work on the day.
    Not changing things up.

Everyone I speak to thinks its a Kerry Mayo final.

Big pressure on AOS (Not mayo management) because he's the reason they think that way imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,083 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Stoner wrote: »

Everyone I speak to thinks its a Kerry Mayo final.

That's interesting, IIRC most people accurately predicted a narrow Dublin win in 2013, even after Mayo had beaten everyone else out the gate...Have we come forward or they gone backward since then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

martyos121 wrote: »
    Don't mean to be getting ahead of myself here (still the small matter of Dublin to conquer first) but this mentality that Kerry aren't a "juggernaut" is very deceptive. They may be an ageing team with their very best years behind them, but what they have that we desperately lack, is championship pedigree. They know how to win the big one, they thrive under the pressure. Kerry were by no means the best team in Ireland last year, and their path to Sam may have been strewn with controversy and good fortune, but that's not entirely down to luck. These things tend to go the way of the experienced and proven teams. We haven't beaten Kerry in a championship game since 1996, because they have been a top, top team since then, and we are completely unproven (no matter how many finals we reached) until we go ahead and win the thing.

Totally agree with you on everything else. I think we have the beating of Dublin in midfield on Sunday too, even the class of MDMA will be overpowered by Parsons IMO, Dublin will have to be very smart with their kickout strategy, but unlike Sligo, who miserably failed at this, they have the class in the half back line to play the short game. Shouldn't be a huge issue for us though because our patience and judgement in front of the posts has greatly improved and the amount of wides of past years has been cut down dramatically.

I'm fully aware of the class of this Dublin team, but I'm as optimistic as I've ever been going up against them. This will be epic viewing for the neutral.
    Which team was then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=243087

Puts it all in perspective. Rest in peace and sympathies to the family, friends and clubmates devastated by such a tragedy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Very sad to see a young man die.

Best wishes to his family at this terrible time.

Rest In Peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Terrible news. Another life lost too young on our roads. Rip Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

That's absolutely terrible news. R.I.P. Darragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Kalyke wrote: »

Maybe they should stop fouling so much then.

On the other side of that. So many fouls, why don't they get more cards?

The truth is Dublin have the best squad of players, the best preparation, the best facilities, the best of everything. If they don't not only beat Mayo, but beat Kerry too, in short, they will have bottled it, just like last year against Donegal. That is why they are under pressure - two flops in a row and you are back to the bad old days of pillar caffrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Bottled it? Just weren't good enough last year and got suckerpunched with the goals. Mayo are slight favorites on Sunday but either way it'll be a 2 or 3 point game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Echo the sentiments of all concerned ....RIP Darragh.It truly does put it all in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Badabing wrote: »
    Bottled it? Just weren't good enough last year and got suckerpunched with the goals. Mayo are slight favorites on Sunday but either way it'll be a 2 or 3 point game.
    With who? Mayo are 15/8, Dublin 4/7 with PP.

http://www.oddschecker.com/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-v-mayo/winner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

They were raging hot favourites and the game was over with 20 minutes to go. Donegal went on to put up poor resistance in the final, and even less this year. Sorry, but if ever there was a case of a team bottling it, that was it.

If that were to happen again, it would raise a lot of question marks as regards Dublin's mentality, not to mention the ability of their manager.

Also, the bookies have Dublin as favourites, so I don't know where you are going with that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Imo Mayo are favourites going by the games so far, and Mayo are a semi final team. If o'carroll can contain o'shea and keegan then Dublin should have the fire power to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

Badabing wrote: »
    Imo Mayo are favourites going by the games so far, and Mayo are a semi final team. If o'carroll can contain o'shea and keegan then Dublin should have the fire power to win.

He will be doing well on one never mind two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭eire 2012

Any concerns here that Dublin joe is referee for Sunday. It would concern me if I was from Mayo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement