Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

In your head maybe!!! No mention of it in the Dublin forum. :)

I think they take the whole situation into account. Murphy was horsing around too, the slap was a tap.

I'm not saying that it's not in the rules to ban him , but I understand why he got off based on what we've seen in the past. Murphy appearing to try to get him sent off would have gone in keanes favour too imo.

Once again that's based on how these things have gone in the past.
    I know provocation is not a factor in the rules but it is taken into account at reviews imo as is the attitude of the opposition in appearing to try to get someone sent off.

I'm glad he's available to play even if it is against us , but it the most surprising of the three decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Pretty much full deck for both sides. Pity OGara got injured, he adds a bit of "Big unit" excitement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Some Dubs fans going mad! :D

If it was Diarmuid Connolly it would all be grand :D

Stoner wrote: »
    In your head maybe!!! No mention of it in the Dublin forum. :)

I think they take the whole situation into account. Murphy was horsing around too, the slap was a tap.

I'm not saying that it's not in the rules to ban him , but I understand why he got off based on what we've seen in the past. Murphy appearing to try to get him sent off would have gone in keanes favour too imo.

Once again that's based on how these things have gone in the past.
    I know provocation is not a factor in the rules but it is taken into account at reviews imo as is the attitude of the opposition in appearing to try to get someone sent off.

I'm glad he's available to play even if it is against us , but it the most surprising of the three decisions

He shouldnt have got off. I just hope this doesnt come back to haunt us. Refs are human and are bound to get the hump when a correct decision is cheekily challenged and then inexplicably overturned. I never knew there was a yellow card offence for punching a guy but not hitting him hard enough to do damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Looks like the bit of luck might be going our way this year. It's these things that can decide who wins an All Ireland title, it's just too early to look into it any more. If by some miracle it happens, we could be looking back at these little things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Peist2007 wrote: »
    He shouldnt have got off. I just hope this doesnt come back to haunt us. Refs are human and are bound to get the hump when a correct decision is cheekily challenged and then inexplicably overturned. I never knew there was a yellow card offence for punching a guy but not hitting him hard enough to do damage.

Agreed, just sets a silly precedent. It would fairly but the cat among the pigeons (aka the Mayos in front of the hill ;) ) if Keane was started!!!! But I do think we will see him, he will get some reception!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone got a link to a video or gif of the Keane incident? Was arguing that it was a non-event on Twitter and had a fair few people uncompromisingly calling it a punch. Wanted to check my recollection.

yop wrote: »
    Agreed, just sets a silly precedent. It would fairly but the cat among the pigeons (aka the Mayos in front of the hill ;) ) if Keane was started!!!! But I do think we will see him, he will get some reception!

Every County Board will appeal every red card from now on. They'd be silly not to.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

keane2097 wrote:
    Anyone got a link to a video or gif of the Keane incident? Was arguing that it was a non-event on Twitter and had a fair few people uncompromisingly calling it a punch. Wanted to check my recollection.

It was a slap as far as I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

keane2097 wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl0c3rYILu8

check from 1.14 on the video.
    To be fair when you see the lead up to the incident, a reduction to a Yellow is probably fair enough, although I did say as soon as I saw it at the game that he was getting a red for giving the Slap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Stoner wrote: »
    It was a slap as far as I remember

It was a slap yes but a very very mild one, not one that wold bring you to your senses if you were crying hysterically like happens in movies. That said intent is there and red card should have stood. Referees are being undermined by this and I feel for them when all they get is abuse even from the bodies which should protect them. Keegan had his red overturned in the drawn semi last year and played poorly in the replay while the referee proceeded to give every decision to Kerry, even allowing a free to be taken via a fist at one stage. Hope history does not repeat but I'm not confident of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone got a link to a video or gif of the Keane incident? .

pnEfdwu.gif

Peist2007 wrote:
    If it was Diarmuid Connolly it would all be grand

If it was Aiden O'Shea it would all be grand too.:)

Let's be honest Mayo were not that concerned about losing him and the opposition are not that concerned about him.
    There are about 16 mayo players you'd rather do without than Keane, Mayo are blessed with his type of player.
    No point turning this into a Dubs are going mad issue just because MayoMick might like that.

It would be completely different if it was Mayos best player and we all know it deep down. Who's place would he take form the starting 15 against Donegal? Barry Moran was squeezed in to help handle Murphy, Dublin don't have a big man inside.

Anyway like this Dub said from the start I can see why he was cleared it was a very tense period of the game, he was just on, he was on the receiving end of some attention, heat of the moment slap and in my opinion there is consistency in how these situations are called and from what I can see they take everything into account. Was it an intention or a reaction ? It was a reaction imo.
    If Murphy wasn't in his face grabbing at him it wouldn't have happened.
    I know nothing I've said is in the rules book, it's just how I see these reviews working.
    What he did was wrong, but mayo got no advantage from it, no score , nobody was hurt, no damage to the opposition he was made look like a fool he let himself down and management might question his temperament.
    If he was suspended I'd understand but I see a consistency in how his case was addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

TBF that I think poster who mentioned that Dublin fans were going mad about the decision was on the wind up,tongue firmly in cheek remark.

I do feel for referees whose match decisions are been undermined by the CCC,however I can't understand how people believe it will get into the minds of the referee officiating at the appealing team's next contest.Seems like a cop out in case things don't go according to plan.Such conspiracy theory stuff is for different fora,the best team shall prevail Sunday week.

TBH I can't say that I'm not delighted that we won't have to deal with a big target man like Eoghan O Gara,he did some damage in 2013.

Blackjack wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl0c3rYILu8

check from 1.14 on the video.
    To be fair when you see the lead up to the incident, a reduction to a Yellow is probably fair enough, although I did say as soon as I saw it at the game that he was getting a red for giving the Slap.

Yeah it was as I recalled. In rugby, the ref would look at that, tell both players to cop themselves on and play away. In soccer, Murphy would be booked and Keane banned for three matches.

That we appear to be taking our cue in writing rules from soccer rather than rugby is a really big, really obvious mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Yeah it was as I recalled. In rugby, the ref would look at that, tell both players to cop themselves on and play away. In soccer, Murphy would be booked and Keane banned for three matches.

That we appear to be taking our cue in writing rules from soccer rather than rugby is a really big, really obvious mistake.

Indeed. Unless the plan is to entirely remove physicality from the game, in which case we may as well give up now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Blackjack wrote: »
    Indeed. Unless the plan is to entirely remove physicality from the game, in which case we may as well give up now.

Sometimes it feels like thats what they want to do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

yop wrote: »
    Sometimes it feels like thats what they want to do :D

Would instantly kill the sport. Physicality is the one thing some of the less skilled teams have going for them. If you take away that, we're going to be seeing a lot of hurling scores in the championship.

A few punches does no harm to the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

I saw your tweets. I am surprised that you held that view. I think it was a punch. Not a haymaker but a definite red for me... he punched him in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

martyos121 wrote: »
    Would instantly kill the sport. Physicality is the one thing some of the less skilled teams have going for them. If you take away that, we're going to be seeing a lot of hurling scores in the championship.

A few punches does no harm to the sport.

I would normally agree with you but you can definitely have physicality in sport.

Some violence is tolerated in rugby but imo Keane may have received a citing for his effort.

Regardless it was a stupid thing for him to do and why was he laughing on the way off the pitch I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Jippo wrote: »
    Why was he laughing on the way off the pitch I don't know.

He knew it would be rescinded? :pac:

Jippo wrote: »
    I saw your tweets. I am surprised that you held that view. I think it was a punch. Not a haymaker but a definite red for me... he punched him in the face.

Not a hope for me. As I mentioned, there was no intent or potential for damage in that little incident. If Keane deserves red, so does Murphy who if anything got away with a more forceful strike just because it was with the same hand that had a fistful of Murphy's jersey.

We're then at the point where we're forced to say that Donnacha O'Connor deserved a red card for striking, Lee Keegan deserved a red for his little leg spasm - does Hughes deserve the line for his hair ruffling??

The farther down the line you go with "zero tolerance" the more farcical your rules, and then your sport become. We see this laid out before us in soccer where rigid adherence to the rules is the only consideration for refs.

All these incidents are actually coming up because of the 'zero tolerance' idea rather than being cut out by it. Players now know that provoking the opposition to the smallest bit of reaction gets them sent off, so we have the likes of Murphy grabbing Keane and shaking him around then running to the umpire when he gets a little clip.

If the ref is empowered to call that as the pathetic little sideshow it is we can all get on with our lives, nobody will be in hospital, no late night cloak and dagger meetings of the CHC etc. We'd also have way less of this septic diving and a game we can be a bit prouder of IMO.

100% agree.

Some sports do look at these things as a whole, like in formula one when going over the line was penalised if you gained an advantage and not if you just went over it.

Murphy played his part, nobody was hurt it stayed on the pitch and shouldn't carry over.

If they take the physicality out of the game then it's finished for me, it was the most enjoyable part of playing and one of the things I admire in players, like for example Murphy himself part of his appeal as a player is his ability to take abuse, he can give it as good as the rest of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Not a hope for me. As I mentioned, there was no intent or potential for damage in that little incident. If Keane deserves red, so does Murphy who if anything got away with a more forceful strike just because it was with the same hand that had a fistful of Murphy's jersey.

We're then at the point where we're forced to say that Donnacha O'Connor deserved a red card for striking, Lee Keegan deserved a red for his little leg spasm - does Hughes deserve the line for his hair ruffling??

The farther down the line you go with "zero tolerance" the more farcical your rules, and then your sport become. We see this laid out before us in soccer where rigid adherence to the rules is the only consideration for refs.

All these incidents are actually coming up because of the 'zero tolerance' idea rather than being cut out by it. Players now know that provoking the opposition to the smallest bit of reaction gets them sent off, so we have the likes of Murphy grabbing Keane and shaking him around then running to the umpire when he gets a little clip.

If the ref is empowered to call that as the pathetic little sideshow it is we can all get on with our lives, nobody will be in hospital, no late night cloak and dagger meetings of the CHC etc. We'd also have way less of this septic diving and a game we can be a bit prouder of IMO.

Excellent post.

As I was reading posts on the Keane issue, I had it implanted in my head that he deserved to go as he raised his hand and struck. But in reality, what has happened is that this mentality has arisen due to years of watching premiership soccer - where it doesn't matter if it's a tap or pinching someone's nose - it's a strike or deemed strike and therefore a sending off.

But that's not what GAA is about, or not what the rules were written for. The rules are obviously there to make sure there are boundaries in place. But not to make it a non-contact sport.

Wonder what the great Paidi would think, or what would the CCCCCCCCC make of this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0h3QQIBH6Y

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But that's not what GAA is about, or not what the rules were written for. The rules are obviously there to make sure there are boundaries in place. But not to make it a non-contact sport.

Rugby seems to have got this right. Not sure if it's actually written into the rules, but they seem to have an 'if you provoke me I'm entitled to retaliate in kind' ethos that stops people getting sent off for a bit of 'argy-bargy'...

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Excellent post.

Wonder what the great Paidi would think, or what would the CCCCCCCCC make of this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0h3QQIBH6Y

Haymaker and a half if I ever seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

It's strange how reading the last few posts I've almost completely changed my mind on the situation.

At the game I saw Keane raise his hand and slap murphy. My first thought was that it was a straight red - regardless of how hard he hit him. And as flasher said, watching too much soccer has put me in that mindset. But that kind of thinking leads to extreme gamesmanship where a few shoves will lead to someone crying for a red card. And that would absolutely destroy the game.

Odds are that Keane was going to be used at some point in the game, so I can't wait to see what sort of reception he gets if he does come on :pac: :pac:

Just to point out that Kevin Keane is no relation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

It's strange how reading the last few posts I've almost completely changed my mind on the situation.

At the game I saw Keane raise his hand and slap murphy. My first thought was that it was a straight red - regardless of how hard he hit him. And as flasher said, watching too much soccer has put me in that mindset. But that kind of thinking leads to extreme gamesmanship where a few shoves will lead to someone crying for a red card. And that would absolutely destroy the game.

Odds are that Keane was going to be used at some point in the game, so I can't wait to see what sort of reception he gets if he does come on :pac: :pac:

Some of you gaa lads make me laugh. There is this superror attitude ye have towards soccer and other sports but then ye also have an inferiority complex. The Keane incident has nothing to do with soccer or a mindset it has to do with bad rules implemented badly. A strike is a strike regardless of the force, how could a rule be enforced that require an official to evaluate the force of a punch. I dare say a slap that would hurt Murphy would hospitalise me for example.Of course the onus should be on players not to react violently under any provocation and when they do the laws should punish them. This manliness thing is just meat head macho bull****. Keane act while understandable and harmless was also stupid and selfish and indisciplined he deserved the punishment he eventually didn't get. All that said I'm delighted he's available and hope he has learned to control himself better in a simular future situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Just to point out that Kevin Keane is no relation :pac:
    Theres 2097 of ye Keanes.....and yere all related:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement