Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

Another café opening up on Academy st ! Sounds fab - this will do great I reckon !

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/new-business-for-academy-street/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

whatever76 wrote: »
    Another café opening up on Academy st ! Sounds fab - this will do great I reckon !

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/new-business-for-academy-street/

Hope its better value that rip off Rocket Man place. €6 something for a tub of leaves and a few tiny scoops of salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

rob316 wrote: »
    Hope its better value that rip off Rocket Man place. €6 something for a tub of leaves and a few tiny scoops of salad.

I've had salads from both stalls at the Wilton farmers market and my preference would definitely lie with these in terms of taste, variety & value for money. Hope it will transfer well to a café setting, looking forward to trying it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

My mum goes to subway for the salad there :pac: I suppose you get a decent portion for low spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Tiny? What size are ya? I've had it twice and it easily does me two meals! Thought it was cheap for two dinners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I think the €6 tub in town isn't great value. At the Wilton RM stand you get the same tub filled with salads (no leaves) for €5. They are so bloody tasty though, i just want to steal their recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

northgirl wrote: »
    I've had salads from both stalls at the Wilton farmers market and my preference would definitely lie with these in terms of taste, variety & value for money. Hope it will transfer well to a café setting, looking forward to trying it out.
    pwurple wrote: »
    Tiny? What size are ya? I've had it twice and it easily does me two meals! Thought it was cheap for two dinners.
    dibkins wrote: »
    I think the €6 tub in town isn't great value. At the Wilton RM stand you get the same tub filled with salads (no leaves) for €5. They are so bloody tasty though, i just want to steal their recipes.

To chime in on this.

Rocket Man at the market is streets ahead in terms of value than the bricks and mortar shop in town.

The market portions will fill you for a fiver. In town, you pay a euro extra and they half fill the tub with leaves. It's a rip off. I love Rocket Man and wish him every success but the prices in town are a rip off.

Bacchus wrote: »
    To chime in on this.

Rocket Man at the market is streets ahead in terms of value than the bricks and mortar shop in town.

The market portions will fill you for a fiver. In town, you pay a euro extra and they half fill the tub with leaves. It's a rip off. I love Rocket Man and wish him every success but the prices in town are a rip off.

Why don't you say no leaves? They asked me whether I wanted them or not. (I did, cos I like leaves!)

Why don't you say no leaves? They asked me whether I wanted them or not. (I did, cos I like leaves!)

First time went in, it happened without asking or me realising until I dug in.

Second time, my wife picked me up a tub on way from town and the same happened.

Next time asked for no leaves but still got a paltry portion of salad (relative to what you get in market). I could have kicked up about it but the outcome likely would have been they try and charge me for a large tub. Instead, they've lost me as a customer (well, I'll still buy at the market).

The sandwich stall in the English market is much better value for their salads. It goes by weight but the most I've ever paid is €7 for a large box and I would struggle to eat the whole thing, usually leave a third for mid afternoon snack.

I'll check out rocket man at the market next time never again the shop though.

• Advertisement

I've only been in the shop twice, but from what I remember, there are two size tubs... One for a fiver, and one for 6. Then they stick the salad in. You can get leaves or no leaves in each. I was under the impression (maybe wrongly) that the 6 euro tub was bigger than the 5 euro tub, and the 5 euro tub was what they had at the market? I'll have to ask them next time. It probably is more expensive to run a shop than a stall. Does Sultans price differently on stall and in the shop?

Maybe I'm a bit talky in there... am distracting them from the rules or something. I got all the toppings (Harrisa and the garlic yoghurt and the onion thing and preserved lemon and some crunchy things), plus the leaves and three of the other salads. Couldn't even close the lid without it popping up. Me and the one year old had about half of it for lunch, and then I had the rest for dinner.

And I love the sandwich stall salads as well. That butter bean one with the semi sun dried tomatoes, drool!

I've only been in the shop twice, but from what I remember, there are two size tubs... One for a fiver, and one for 6. Then they stick the salad in. You can get leaves or no leaves in each. I was under the impression (maybe wrongly) that the 6 euro tub was bigger than the 5 euro tub, and the 5 euro tub was what they had at the market? I'll have to ask them next time. It probably is more expensive to run a shop than a stall. Does Sultans price differently on stall and in the shop?

I'm sure costs are higher for the shop as opposed to a market stall but for the customer, there is no comparison between the two and, rightly or wrongly, it really put me off ever going to the shop again. You can get better value healthy food elsewhere in town. I would like to hear though if anyone goes and asks for no leaves what the portion situation was. If they're giving out market sized portions, I'd give it another go.

I've not eaten at Sultans yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Bacchus wrote: »
    To chime in on this.

Where in town is the shop?:)

Prince's Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Not a fan of everything in ramen but their green Thai curry for 6€ is a 5/5.

Went to Market Lane last night and had the early bird. Onion soup was tasty but very very sweet. Ox cheek stew was exactly like i wish i could cook my stews - so tasty! Then a delicious little glass of icecream to finish off. nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Had brunch in Gogos on Sunday & The Sextant Tuesday, Gogos, as I've said here before, does a great fry. The Sextant, which was my first time trying and was really looking forward to - was a bit disappointing if I'm honest. Thought the sausages & rashers weren't great, - poached eggs were lovely though as was the coffee & I did enjoy eating there - lovely vibe and Jack Johnson playing so was happy out. All that said, I won't be going out of my way to try there again....mainly because I want to try the River Lee & Brick lane next. But I think Liberty Grill & GoGos are a cut above with regard to quality.

Also, I know it's not a restaurant but talks of another Starbucks opening in the city I hear - not sure where but thought I'd heard one was going into the Alberts Quay development so might just be confirmation of that

D'Agger wrote: »
    Had brunch in Gogos on Sunday & The Sextant Tuesday, Gogos, as I've said here before, does a great fry. The Sextant, which was my first time trying and was really looking forward to - was a bit disappointing if I'm honest. Thought the sausages & rashers weren't great, - poached eggs were lovely though as was the coffee & I did enjoy eating there - lovely vibe and Jack Johnson playing so was happy out. All that said, I won't be going out of my way to try there again....mainly because I want to try the River Lee & Brick lane next. But I think Liberty Grill & GoGos are a cut above with regard to quality.

Also, I know it's not a restaurant but talks of another Starbucks opening in the city I hear - not sure where but thought I'd heard one was going into the Alberts Quay development so might just be confirmation of that

Old O2 store on Patrick street I heard, 3 is a bit much, it'll be like London soon, one on every corner.

Old O2 store on Patrick street I heard, 3 is a bit much, it'll be like London soon, one on every corner.
    Could be nice on the street though if there's some outdoor seating, although admittedly, I'd prefer to see a non corporate coffee shop or a different business going in there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Cork Starbucks thread already below...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056525041

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Anyone heard about Salt. It has opened up on Victoria Road. Very bad advertising as I work there and only saw it while driving past

Milly33 wrote: »
    Anyone heard about Salt. It has opened up on Victoria Road. Very bad advertising as I work there and only saw it while driving past
    Not until now - a quick google shows a status about it on a facebook page for Meades 126

You'd imagine in this day and age that if you searched for a business in Cork, the business would have a facebook page, twitter, instagram etc. to showcase & drum up business through pics, offers, daily specials etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yep, I didn't even hear of it until one of the lads said had I heard of it.. We got a delivery then in the office and I was like ohh it must be open..Still waiting for any business flyers or someone to call in...

Even when Goldbergs opened up they were in selling it to us for business

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

I noticed today that Sakura are opening another sushi place on Anglesea st. - just opposite the Garda station.

Are they good / recommended?

I really like Sakura. Nothing amazing, but it is really solid and tasty (and right near my house). Not had any sushi though as i can't deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Is Brick Lane open on Sundays for Brunch? I'm probably missing it but can't see it on their website :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Milly33 wrote: »
    Yep, I didn't even hear of it until one of the lads said had I heard of it.. We got a delivery then in the office and I was like ohh it must be open..Still waiting for any business flyers or someone to call in...

Even when Goldbergs opened up they were in selling it to us for business

I posted about this a few weeks back, it was in the whazon in Cork guide that it was going to be opening soon and it's the same owners and previous owners of meades.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Karmella wrote: »
    I noticed today that Sakura are opening another sushi place on Anglesea st. - just opposite the Garda station.

Are they good / recommended?

Its very good and very reasobnale prices.

Tried Zamora - really good. I *think* it was opened by the bubble brothers?

Anyways, it's part winebar, part restaurant. On academy street.

I went with a group. They have a 25 euro 3 course menu midweek or early bird , where you can swap the starter or dessert for a glass of wine. They have nibble things to order with wine as well, like a bowl of spicy almonds, or a plate of bread and dips.

I had a red pepper soup and roasted cod with baby smoked potatoes, radishes and chorizo. Both gorgeous. Really delicious. Everyone else at the table was happy with theirs too. The wine list is lovely and a good few things on there by the glass. Menu is on part of a wine box, which had me worried my food was going to come on a board or a slate, but thankfully all was on plates!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

D'Agger wrote: »
    Could be nice on the street though if there's some outdoor seating, although admittedly, I'd prefer to see a non corporate coffee shop or a different business going in there

The thing is the "non corporate" places like Idaho Cafe around the corner aren't seen for dust on Sundays or early morning when I find myself looking for a coffee. I still wouldn't go to a Starbucks (because they're crap) but I think it's a bit much for "independents" to be whinging when they're not prepared to take them head on.

Same sort of message to Rocketman. Rip people off and people will go elsewhere regardless of whether it's a local business or not.

Aside; I see Rising Tide have a regular Groupon thing going on now. Standards really have slipped there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement