Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

roundymac wrote: »
    This could have been asked already, could the black box's have been turned off along with all the other stuff that appears to have been turned off?

Unfortunately, yes, they could have. I don't know the technicalities of it but based on the pilot's experience and apparent technical knowledge, it's a possibility if he wanted the plane to just disappear. That's presuming deliberate action, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGUiCQmrITo

Watched the above the other day and it goes through every possible eventuality and the consensus seems to be that deliberate action was the most likely cause. Everything seems to point to the pilot locking himself in the cockpit alone and either depressurising the cabin or not until the plane ran out of fuel. It does seem like he wanted the plane, its passengers and himself to just disappear. Pure speculation, of course, but no other theory really stands up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I'd like to think that trackable buoys were dropped throughout the search area to map the ocean currents since the plane disappeared. Data from such buoys would be invaluable for backtracking debris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

2 stroke wrote: »
    I'd like to think that trackable buoys were dropped throughout the search area to map the ocean currents since the plane disappeared. Data from such buoys would be invaluable for backtracking debris.

Yes I believe they were dropped. But different shapes, sizes and weights of bits of debris will float at different rates and possibly end up in very different places.

In any case reunion island is tiny. It's a miracle such an obvious component landed there and didn't just float on by.

I'd like to think that trackable buoys were dropped throughout the search area to map the ocean currents since the plane disappeared
    I don't know how wide spread the Tsunami tracking system is, but its likely that this system has a better record of ocean tides than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

I thought that only the cockpit voice recorder could be turned off and not the flight data recorder?

Both can be SHUT off.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Both can be SHUT off.

No need for the shouty caps, it was just a question.

I thought that pulling the circuit breaker only worked for turning off the CVR and that the FDR was more 'tamper-proof', which is why I asked the question in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Both can be SHUT off.

Why would that be allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Both can be SHUT off.

I read somewhere that this isn't possible from the cockpit; that you'd have to access the electronics bay through a hatch in the forward galley to pull the circuit breakers. The Satcom breakers are in the same location and clearly they weren't pulled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Guys,

Sorry to jump in, I was googling for an update on the Debris found, and last i heard was it was in France for analysis to confirm if the debris was that actually from the MH370.
    i can probably safely guess it is (only missing B-777 in the world), but wanted an official update. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Guys,

Sorry to jump in, I was googling for an update on the Debris found, and last i heard was it was in France for analysis to confirm if the debris was that actually from the MH370.
    i can probably safely guess it is (only missing B-777 in the world), but wanted an official update. Anyone know?

Nothing yet. Don't worry, it will fill all the news bulletins once it's confirmed. It'll be hard to miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

rrpc wrote: »
    I read somewhere that this isn't possible from the cockpit; that you'd have to access the electronics bay through a hatch in the forward galley to pull the circuit breakers. The Satcom breakers are in the same location and clearly they weren't pulled.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You would think that the 300 plus life jackets on board would have floated to the shores of the world quicker than the wing part.

You would think that the 300 plus life jackets on board would have floated to the shores of the world quicker than the wing part.

The life jackets aren't buoyant until they are activated

Why would that be allowed?
    Electrical fire would be one of the main reasons. The crew would have to be able to shut down electrical systems suspected of causing a fire or short circuit.

I read somewhere that this isn't possible from the cockpit; that you'd have to access the electronics bay through a hatch in the forward galley to pull the circuit breakers.
    Hence the reason i tried to differentiate between SHUT off and SWITCH off...... but I guess that some people are too sensitive :)

Hence the reason i tried to differentiate between SHUT off and SWITCH off...... but I guess that some people are too sensitive :)

I'm not sure how saying that 'both can be SHUT' off is differentiating between something being switched off and shut off, but whatever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

elastico wrote: »
    In any case reunion island is tiny. It's a miracle such an obvious component landed there and didn't just float on by.

I suppose if x amount of debris is floating by, there's a reasonable probability one piece of it will land on Reunion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

The flaperon has a large surface area exposed to the surface wind. Acting a bit like a sail.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how saying that 'both can be SHUT' off is differentiating between something being switched off and shut off, but whatever.
    It's almost a technical differentiation. Something being shut off means it's off beyond the switch and can't be switched on. Like shutting off the mains power or shutting off a stop-cock. It implies that the 'flow' is stopped before it gets to the outlet (or switch).

rrpc wrote: »
    It's almost a technical differentiation. Something being shut off means it's off beyond the switch and can't be switched on. Like shutting off the mains power or shutting off a stop-cock. It implies that the 'flow' is stopped before it gets to the outlet (or switch).

I know the difference (but thank you anyway for your explanation!) I was just being a bit cheeky to smurfjed - I guess I am a bit sensitive today :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

More stuff washing up, bottled water (the brand can be purchased in Malaysia apparently) and a plastic moulding of sorts

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08/04/mh370-suspected-malaysia-airlines-water-bottles-plane-window-reunion_n_7933422.html?1438700299&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I was reading in article this morning too, that residents of reunion cliamed a "plane seat" was on the rocks but never reported as nothing thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

No way those water bottles were in tropical sunshine for a year. Labels look far too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

I wonder how much debris could have missed Reunion and is already lying on, or heading on its way to, the sparsely populated shores of Madagascar.

pfurey101 wrote: »
    I wonder how much debris could have missed Reunion and is already lying on, or heading on its way to, the sparsely populated shores of Madagascar.

Found this, although I think it was posted before

2AF3591200000578-0-image-a-9_1438235487112.jpg

Oceanographers created this chart one year ago showing the potential drift of MH370, starting from the Indian Ocean search zone. Experts say the chart's predicitions are 'entirely consistent' with the location of newly-found debris on La Reunion, off the coast of Madagascar.

Daily Mail

It is possible that large piece of the fuselage remained intact on the seafloor.

Erosion could have caused smaller bits e.g. the wing part and smaller bits from the baggage area to be released over time hence the lack of weathering. Just a theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

More stuff washing up, bottled water (the brand can be purchased in Malaysia apparently) and a plastic moulding of sorts

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08/04/mh370-suspected-malaysia-airlines-water-bottles-plane-window-reunion_n_7933422.html?1438700299&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

A google search for that brand of bottled water brings up loads of links to retailers in India. As for the "plane window" frame, it seems a bit small ? Looks to me like part of the housing of an electric sewing machine or something similar.

• Advertisement

MtwIxxw.jpg

Advertisement