Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Gardner wrote: »
    Nice bit of buzz about the town on this. Was thinking back to a couple of years ago and I’m just delighted that upthedeise.com no longer exists. That gob****e Cian Foley was an awful embarrassment. The songs, the pictures and his love affair with the players. It was cringe. Although this page can be bad at times it is nowhere near that.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled my opinion that this is very mean-spirited.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭JimboJones99

3ships wrote: »
    Just looking back over previous posts on team selection. I wouldn't drop Dunford but it is great to see the discussion and the options are there.
    Another thing is that I remember going up to semi finals with the cats thinking only Mullane, Brick or maybe Moran would get a look in with our esteemed neighbours. It is different now but granted the like of Hogan and Reid and Larkin are just outstanding.
    Still if you picked a combined team and only for fun

Murphy
    Murphy
    Fives
    Connors
    Fives
    Bourke
    Buckley
    Fennelly
    Moran
    Reid
    Hogan
    Brick
    Larkin
    Shan
    Gleeson

Not trying to wind you up but I dont think it is different now, the gap has just significantly closed. I think if both teams had fully fit panels to choose from only Moran and Conners would definitely make the team. De Burca possibly even though if he was forced to man mark, I would pick Joyce over him. The likes of Shanahan and Brick would push Colin Fennelly close. Gleeson has potential to be a gret hurler and but wouldnt be good enough at the minute for me. I have no doubt that in 2-3 years the spread of players will be much more even though when a lot of Waterfords players get more experience. IMO the team would be

Murphy
    Murphy
    Holden
    Conners
    Walsh
    De Burca
    Buckley
    Fennelly
    Fogarty
    Moran
    Hogan
    Reid
    Fennelly
    Power
    Larkin

I'm still not writing Waterford off for Sunday week though. I know the system they play is a a controversial point but it is effective and throw in a bit of luck with an early goal and you never know but I envisage something similar to the provinical finals where the game will be tight for the most part but KK will win pulling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭seananigans

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Youd be hard pressed to get a train direct to Connolly from Waterford considering the trainline ends at Heuston

match day trains can utilise the phoenix park tunnel dropping you out in drumcondra station, have taken this train previously.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/plans-for-four-trains-an-hour-in-phoenix-park-tunnel-next-year-31051427.html

Most traffic through the tunnel is carriages and engines being moved between Heuston and Connolly for maintenance.
    It has occasionally been used for special services, including major GAA fixtures, but less so in recent years.
    The line emerges from the tunnel parallel to the North Circular Road and passes through Cabra and Glasnevin, connecting with the track that goes through Drumcondra station and on to Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Nice bit of buzz about the town on this. Was thinking back to a couple of years ago and I’m just delighted that upthedeise.com no longer exists. That gob****e Cian Foley was an awful embarrassment. The songs, the pictures and his love affair with the players. It was cringe. Although this page can be bad at times it is nowhere near that.

Fair play to him or who ever was behind the website, gave me a lot of entertainment over the years. Anything that promotes the game of hurling in Waterford and gets people involved I think is a good thing. You must be rightly pissed off people are now discussing Waterford gaa matters on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭blue note

I used to enjoy that site. An awful lot of nonsense posted on the site, but all harmless stuff. There were a few decent posters on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Not trying to wind you up but I dont think it is different now, the gap has just significantly closed. I think if both teams had fully fit panels to choose from only Moran and Conners would definitely make the team. De Burca possibly even though if he was forced to man mark, I would pick Joyce over him. The likes of Shanahan and Brick would push Colin Fennelly close. Gleeson has potential to be a gret hurler and but wouldnt be good enough at the minute for me. I have no doubt that in 2-3 years the spread of players will be much more even though when a lot of Waterfords players get more experience. IMO the team would be

Murphy
    Murphy
    Holden
    Conners
    Walsh
    De Burca
    Buckley
    Fennelly
    Fogarty
    Moran
    Hogan
    Reid
    Fennelly
    Power
    Larkin

I'm still not writing Waterford off for Sunday week though. I know the system they play is a a controversial point but it is effective and throw in a bit of luck with an early goal and you never know but I envisage something similar to the provinical finals where the game will be tight for the most part but KK will win pulling up.

Ye there is not much in a few of those, the goalies for a start. Shanahan and Gleeson are in the top ten of the betting for Hurler of the year so its not just my bias to prefer them. There are many factors at play: systems, tactics work rate. The Croke Park factor is huge. Richie Powers availabilty another

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

3ships wrote: »
    Ye there is not much in a few of those, the goalies for a start. Shanahan and Gleeson are in the top ten of the betting for Hurler of the year so its not just my bias to prefer them. There are many factors at play: systems, tactics work rate. The Croke Park factor is huge. Richie Powers availabilty another

Jamie Barron would give Fogarty a serious run for his money for a spot at midfield considering his form this year. Very impressed with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭JimboJones99

dcrosskid wrote: »
    Jamie Barron would give Fogarty a serious run for his money for a spot at midfield considering his form this year. Very impressed with him.

Yeah all these things are subjective. Being honest, I have watched Fogarty much more closer than I would have watched Jamie Barron so I suppose this clouds it a bit. I would have massive time for Fogarty and I think he is one of KK's most important players. He does an awful lot of the dirty work and is happy not to stand out and just deliver quick intellingent ball into our big guns to do the damage. Will be even more important if Fennelly is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We got tickets for the Leinster final in the ticket office in Drumcondra the day of the game.
    We were in 406,the old Ard Comhairle.

I wouldn't panic about crap tickets at all, there will be good ones released next week.
    crap tickets on both tickets.ie and ticketmaster. Supervalue use the same system so they wont have any better. perfer upper section myself so going to wait til/if they open the section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Are they opening the terrace?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Why does maurice shanahan always wear the no 21 shirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

wrmwit wrote: »
    Why does maurice shanahan always wear the no 21 shirt?

All the Waterford team have been using squad numbers since the start of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Are they opening the terrace?
    Yeah, €25 a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Limerick beat Clare in the U21. As much as it pains me that we werent there given the players we have this year, I think we'll be that bit fresher going into the KK game for being out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Limerick beat Clare in the U21. As much as it pains me that we werent there given the players we have this year, I think we'll be that bit fresher going into the KK game for being out of it.

Agreed, Senior>u21.

Right let's cut louse within reason and see where it takes us. So far job well done, what do we have do to get to final.

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

What?

I think what hes saying is throw off the shackles against KK and see what happens. Look its not going to happen we know that. If we went toe-to-toe with them they'd beat us fairly comfortably, plus were not going to change horses midstream anyway this manager has shown that in the past. To be fair for all our perceived defensive tactics, we have still managed to rack up fairly high scores, shur we wouldn't be in an AI semi final otherwise. The wide count is high, but were shooting from far out the field a lot so its inevitable. All you can do in that case is try and keep the wide count down.
    Without getting into the nitty-gritty, the best way to gague our chances against KK is looking at our performance v Tipp, who imo are the team closest to KK in the country. Its fair to say Tipp had the measure of us as the game wore on, but I haven't heard anyone say after that game that there wasn't more in us or that thre wasn't scope for improvement. That is the big hope for me going in against KK. If we can make the step up from that performance (indications from the Dublin game are that we have kicked on another bit) then we will have a real rattle off the cats. We are certainly capable of pushing them all the way but whether we have improved as a collective unit or whether we have hit our peak for this season is the big question.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

The closer the game comes and all the shadow boxing is done with the more I think we have a right chance. It certainly will not be easy but we are growing in confidence and maturity as a team with each outing. It will be vital we start alot faster than what we have been doing and hopefully settle into the game from the start. What a shame Stephen Daniels hasn't had more game time under his belt because he would be a certain starter in my book. Philip O Mahony hadn't the best of days against Dublin and his lack of pace is a concern and that is whom id replace him for. Likewise I'm hopeful Darragh Fives will have come on from the last day as he seemed shaky at times during the game. Dunford will start as his pace is frightening and if he tidies up his end product he will create havoc running at the Kilkenny backs.
    Just for those of you interested,our infamous spat with Mt.sion has resulted in a €500 fine for both clubs and both sending offs carried the customary 1 match ban. Storm in a tea cup!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Have to disagree with that entirely. I was gutted watching the game last night. There were U21 Munster and All Ireland titles to be had at this grade this year. The players would have had 10 days between the game last night and the all Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

The fact that Limerick won makes me feel a little better. I thought that would have been a slam dunk for Clare last night, obviously not. But yeah, it was so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

deiseach wrote: »
    The fact that Limerick won makes me feel a little better. I thought that would have been a slam dunk for Clare last night, obviously not. But yeah, it was so on.

It doesn't really make a difference to me who won but I have to say that I was more disappointed with the Clare defeat than I was over the senior Munster final. That team should have won the All Ireland end of and could only win one game. It's not as if we have many All Irelands at any grade so we need to capitalise on any chance we get. At least we didn't disgrace ourselves like we usually do at that grade but it was very very disappointing nonethless.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Brian Gavin named referee for our game, Kelly gets the other semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭blue note

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Brian Gavin named referee for our game, Kelly gets the other semi.

I'm glad to see this. Always felt Barry Kelly let a lot go with Kilkenny.

blue note wrote: »
    I'm glad to see this. Always felt Barry Kelly let a lot go with Kilkenny.

:D can of worms well and truly opened

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

:D can of worms well and truly opened

He really just loves them ;-)

Outrageous but not surprising that Rushe got 1 league game as a ban. How is that supposed to deter future action? I believe there is a harsher stance taken on repeat offenders, which he is but they conveniently dodged banning him last time as he got a yellow and therefore he red dealt with it on the field.

After Brian O Sullivan got 2 games for something that was no worse it leaves a pretty sour taste to be honest. Not to mention two championships games, not a bloody first round league match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭seananigans

Tickets.ie is up to cusack stand lower section 314 row w, think thats the last one, hopefully will open the top as only cusak and davin have concessions

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭skaface

It was a joke

Funny man ;-))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Tickets.ie is up to cusack stand lower section 314 row w, think thats the last one, hopefully will open the top as only cusak and davin have concessions

They go back to row WW in the lower tier. As in A-Z, then it goes AA to WW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah they better open the top not paying 41.50 to sit in the corner. Why doesn't the Hogan have concessions

If I got offered good Hogan stand tickets I'd take them feck the discount

For the 2011 semi final they didn't open the top and the Davin Stand was half empty so going by that they mite not open the top half but I expect demand to be much higher dis year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement